My computer is acting gay

Posted by Crazy K

It just started today. I used to have this problem a wile ago to which I was absent from VGC for over 4 weeks. Anyways I can easily get on the internet, and everything. But after awile I cannot load any websites. The loading bar on the bottom flashes once and never loads a site. I can do the usual chatting with friends, but thats it. I tried downloading norton, but it failed because it would also stop loading because of the problem.

So can anyone help me with this ****? cause it's ****ing me off.

Posted by Trigger

Does your Internet web browser have any proxy settings that it should have? Have you scanned your computer for any adware, spyware and malware that could be running on your machine? Some choose to edit your Hosts file and create entries within that prevent you from visiting websites and use the loopback IP address. They also make the effort to include security and anti-virus websites into that list, because they really don't want you to solve the problem.

Also, you could try downloading Hijack This and scanning for any browser hooks and hijacks that may be present. Beyond that, there isn't much more that I could suggest to you until you attempt those things first. Also, have you changed anything since the issue started occurring?

Posted by Crazy K

I tried Ad-aware on it but nothing worked. The last time it occured I downloaded a google pack of Norton Antivirus. Anyways on the test run it finds the problem right away. But I can't seem to be able to download it again.

Anyways where would I go to find a Proxy setting?

Also I use Moxilla Firefox.

Posted by Trigger

Proxy settings are usually provided by your IP, if they use a proxy and those details would be inputted in Tools > Options > Connection Settings in Firefox. If you are unable to locate the website containing the Norton Anti-virus Google Pack, you can attempt to download the program from [URL="http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en&gl=us"]here[/URL].

Just a thought, do you have access to another computer with an Internet connection which you could download the pack?
Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing your web browser?
Does the same thing happen when you test your browsing ability in Internet Explorer instead?

Posted by Crazy K

I don't have internet on my laptop. I should try the un-installing and re-installing of firefox. Anyways here is the pic of the proxy settings.
[IMG]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/24/construction2hk3.jpg[/IMG]
I also tried to download the pack again, but it stops downloading when I can't go on the internet anymore. Also Explorer is slower then hell.

Posted by Apathetic

I think I had this problem but I have no idea how it got working again. Have you tried getting on with IE?

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Apathetic]Have you tried getting on with IE?
I instructed him in my previous post to attempt to browse with Internet Explorer. If you had read his post, you would notice he replied, "Explorer is slower than hell."

Posted by Crazy K

Anyways I think i'll have to borrow Noton Anti-virus from someone. IE is working right now, but I don't know for how long.

**** now I cannot download any virus killing software cause everytime I try to go to one of the sites it either does not let me view or it closes out on me.

Posted by Crazy K

I think I have a virus that stops anything that has to do with killing viruses. Every virus killing site either does not load or closses out on me right away.

I'm debating if I should either do a system recovery or do a format. I know how to do a system recovery but does anyone know how to do a format? I really don't want to do a format cause I don't feel like installing and re-installing stuff.

A format might be the only way to fix this computer, but what do you suggest I do? A system recovery or a Format, cause I have no idea.

Posted by Trigger

A system recovery is obviously the easiest and least time consuming, but not precisely the solution. A previous system restore point could also contain the virus, and only leading you back to your current situation. I had a virus a while ago that made it impossible to use any "security-like" software and I just formatted because it was quicker. (That, and I do not create system restore points - I find them a waste of time and space.) If you wish to format, follow these steps:

[LIST=1]
[*]Boot your computer. If your system is not configured to boot from CD-ROM first, press the appropriate key at startup that allows you to enter the BIOS - this is usually the delete key or the escape key.
[*]Set the system to boot from CD-ROM, exit and save changes.
[*]Insert your Windows CD into your computer and start your machine. When prompted, press any key to boot to the CD.
[*]At the prompt to either repair or enter setup, select enter setup by pressing enter.
[*]Accept the user agreement by pressing F8.
[*]Windows will scan for previous installations and show them in a small list at the bottom of the screen. Highlight your Windows partition and delete it by pressing D.
[*]Create a new partition by pressing C and begin the installation of Windows on that partition. (There's a note about this at the end of my post.)
[*]Choose quick format NTFS, and then the rest is "user interface" guided, after the machine reboots and starts to load Windows.[/LIST]

You may want create a partition that does not consume the entire hard drive. The reason I suggest this is so that when you enter Windows, you can use Disk Manager to create an additional partition that can be used to install all your applications and personal files. This would make it easier to format Windows without worrying about the loss of your data - you would only delete the first partition you made, in the event of a format, whilst keeping all your data and programs in-tact. (I tend to download and save my programs installation setup files, so if I format and need to re-install Windows, I have all the programs on a seperate partition ready to be re-installed without needing to be downloaded.) You can take that small piece of advice as you will - if you do not want to create a seperate partition, that is your decision.

Hopefully this aids you in some way. Good luck.

Posted by Crazy K

I think i'll try the system recovery first, since I don't think I have a windows cd for my computer. Anyways thanks for all the help so far. :)

Posted by Crazy K

I did the system recovery and it has worked fine since now. I had Norton working but every time I try to open it, its automatically closed on me. So whatever is doing this stops me from using any virus killing site or software.

Anyways I seem to be able to surf the web fine at the moment, but I know for a fact this problem will re-accrue.

Anyways I might have to do a format, but I'm scared to try it cause I don't want to screw anything up. I don't have a windows Xp CD. So will I still be able to do a format? If I format my computer will I loose every program? or will it just have the programs the computer came with?

My parents cannot afford to purchase another computer, and I could never find a job to get money for a new computer.

I really can't say what caused the problem. I just downloaded Trillian and I'm not sure that's to blame. Anyways as much help is appreciated.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Crazy K]I don't have a windows Xp CD. So will I still be able to do a format? If I format my computer will I loose every program? or will it just have the programs the computer came with?
You cannot perform a format without your Operating System CD. If you do not have a CD of the Operating System that you use, I would highly recommend you do not attempt any kind of system wipe. A format over-writes the hard drive, wiping all data that you may have, including your Operating System, programs and personal data - NOTHING WILL EXIST AFTER A SYSTEM FORMAT.

The only exception to this rule is if your personal data and programs are installed on a seperate patition. If your Operating System and programs and personal data do not share the same partition, you have the ability to format the partition your Operating System is stored on. I highly doubt this is your current situation, however.

Posted by Crazy K

I downloaded some program called Prevx1 and it jails malware, adaware, viruses, and other malicious items. So far it's working well.