Looking for an FPS

Posted by Crazy K

Well I been thinking of getting a FPS soon and I was wondering which one I should get. Now I probably won't be able to get something great.

Anyways here is my system specs:

2.70 GHz intel celeron processor
256 MB DDR SDRAM memory
4.0 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
CD-RW drive 48x24x48 max speed

So can anyone suggest a good FPS with these requirments?

Posted by Stalolin

Well, if you've got fairly good internet speed then go for CS 1.6 and play with the VGCS crew.

Posted by Crazy K

I believe I played that at a LAN party and I like it. I might have to see if it works on my computer, my friend might be able to hook me up with a copy of it.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Okay, FPS... my area. :D

Counter Strike: Source
FarCry
Doom 3
Quake 4
Prey
Brothers in Arms
Call of Duty 1 & 2
Vietcong
Half Life 2
Ghost Recon
F.E.A.R.
Battlefield 2
Serious Sam
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
America's Army
Unreal Tournament 2004
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Day of Defeat: Source

And yes, all these will run on what you have. :D

Posted by Stalolin

On 256 RAM?

I think not.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

My laptop is even worse.

I've got all of these to run. Quite smoothly I might add.

Edit:Oh shi- RAM, for some reason I was thinking that was his video card....
My mistake. New list is as follows:

America's Army
Veitcong
Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike: 1.6
No one Lives Forever
Call of Duty
Operation: Flashpoint
Serious Sam

Posted by Stalolin

Quake 4 Minimum System Requirements

English version of Windows 2000/XP
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or Athlon XP 2000+ Processor
512MB RAM
8x speed CD-ROM drive and latest drivers
2.8GB uncompressed hard-drive space, plus 400MB for Windows swap file
100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
DirectX 9.0c included
3D Hardware Accelerator Card required
100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB
Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers

I DON'T BELIEVE IT

Posted by Stalolin

Also, give the specs for your video card. If you don't know what it is then we can at least get the memory size. Right click your background, hit properties, go to the settings tab and double click on the picture of the screen thingy.

Then click on the adapter tab and post your memory size.

Posted by Crazy K

It says I got 64 MB of memory

Posted by Stalolin

Okay, you should be able to run all of the games Sapphire listed then.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Yeah, that's what I have, and I can run every game listed in this entire thing. I have a ton more RAM than you do, though. Get more of that and you get to play all the nifty games I listed earlier.

Posted by Apathetic

Definetly go for CS. Probably one of the biggest FPS's out thar.

Posted by muffla

ut is bigger

any wasy what kind of ram does you motherboad take cuz ddr is doun to about 20 bucks for 256

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting muffla: ut is bigger

any wasy what kind of ram does you motherboad take cuz ddr is doun to about 20 bucks for 256

No, no it's not. CS is by FAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR a more popular game.

Not to mention more responsive, well constructed, and overall fun.

And to think, it's a MOD. :D

Posted by Crazy K

CS sounds fun, especially when I can practice before going to LAN parties.

Posted by Apathetic

Hehe, lan parties are teh win. You can mess around with the gravity and stuff :cool: And yeah, you could definetly practice for them.

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah I really need a lot of practice, especially when i'm the worst at the Lan parties, but that's mainly because i'm not deep into FPS's.

Posted by brownoystercult

Yeah, get CS and join our clan.

Posted by Crazy K

I'll have to wait some time till my computer gets fixed and I hope it gets fixed very soon.

Posted by Apathetic

All your friends will be impressed from our tag and your skillz you will build, haha :)

Posted by Crazy K

How many CS's are there? Which one should I get? And how much is the cost?

Posted by Kit

Quoting Sapphire Rose: My laptop is even worse.

I've got all of these to run. Quite smoothly I might add.

Edit:Oh shi- RAM, for some reason I was thinking that was his video card....
My mistake. New list is as follows:

America's Army
Veitcong
Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike: 1.6
No one Lives Forever
Call of Duty
Operation: Flashpoint
Serious Sam

Unreal Tournament 2003 + 2004 can run on 128mb RAM. So you can add them in.

Posted by Crazy K

I hope I am able to get CS in my area, I need it basically for practice and or course fun. Anyways a person that goes to the LAN parties I go to works with my sister at Subway, and he told my sister that I suck at computer games, so I do need to get some practice in and fast, my next LAN party is in the beggining of September.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Dark Kirby]Unreal Tournament 2003 + 2004 can run on 128mb RAM. So you can add them in.

They'd run like ****. I wouldn't bother adding them.

Posted by Crazy K

I really don't want something that takes a lot of expertise in FPS's, just something I can pick up on, and CS is nice. Also I liked Day of Defete but I believe that's a Half-Life mod, right?

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Crazy K]I really don't want something that takes a lot of expertise in FPS's, just something I can pick up on, and CS is nice. Also I liked Day of Defete but I believe that's a Half-Life mod, right?

It is.

Posted by Crazy K

Me and my friends usually play Day of Defeat and Counter Strike at the LAN parties, we usually don't play anything else.

Posted by Apathetic

Quoting Crazy K: How many CS's are there? Which one should I get? And how much is the cost?

CS
CS condition zero
CS Source
CS is the regular and most people have it, I would choose this one. Its like 30 bucks maybe when I bought this platnium deal with all these games, I have no idea what its at right now though.

Posted by Crazy K

So which one does the guys from VGC play? Cause I would not mind joining in with them and loosing multiple times till I learn how to be somewhat good at the game.

Posted by Apathetic

CS and CS source, I think Im the only one who owns CZ.

Posted by Crazy K

Cool, I cannot wait to play against some of ya guys. :)

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Crazy K: I really don't want something that takes a lot of expertise in FPS's, just something I can pick up on.

Battlefield 1942 is awesome and VEERRRYYYYY easy to just pick up and play.

Posted by Crazy K

I'm getting a Charter High Speed internet for 3 months so I'll be ready to play you guys. :)

Posted by Kit

Quoting Apathetic: CS and CS source, I think Im the only one who owns CZ.

I bought CZ preowned, but the first disc wouldn't load so I can't play it.

Posted by Apathetic

That sucks, its actually a great game. Pretty much same as cs, just different default skins and you have to adjust a little. Your not missing out on to much though, just some more servers to play on.

Posted by Crazy K

LoL I just checked my memory for this laptop and it's 8 MB, holly **** that is bad.

Posted by Apathetic

External hd please. And how big is cs anyways, like umm 900mb? or even way less.

Posted by KoH

Get Counter-Strike 1.6 or Source. Source is preferred among newcomers due to how much easier it is to play in comparison to good ol' 1.6. After Source get BF2. Although, I'll warn you now, unless you have friends who play BF2 and maybe a TS or Vent server to talk to them with, it isn't as much fun.

Btw, there're 3 CSs. Counter-Strike Source, Counter-Strike 1.6, and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. CS:CZ just plain sucks. I don't recommend anyone get CZ.

Oh and CS:S is roughly 1669 MB, with common server sounds included, such as "MMMMMMONSTER KILL!" and "KILLING SPREE!" Basic Quake sounds. CS 1.6 is 370 MB with no add-ons.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm the only person who will say that Gunz online is pretty fun and requires very basic hardware.

Posted by KoH

Yes, you are.

Posted by pink_lycanthrope

I play cs source and it is wonderful, but it wont run on your rig, so i have to agree and say CS 1.6, alot of people still pay it so you wont be alone.