There is a school not teaching evolution!!!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Area=sr&ID=SR01202

begin swearing and gnashing of the teeth. DOnt' want to be inconsistent now, do we?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Saudi Arabia doesnt have a seperation of church and state clause, do they?:cookie:

But yeah, I'd rather kids get a decent logical schooling than ZOMG IT WAS TEH ***X0RZ!

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Luckily i live in a country where schools prefer to teach actual science over magic and wizardry. And the lord said let there be light, SHAZAAM!

Thank G[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d i'm an atheist.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

A) LoS- you are still obligated, as a part of being a whiney liberal, to complain, ****, and moan as much as possible about religion being in the government, schools, or anywhere near anyone in general. Oh wait, I forgot part B about being a whiney liberal. You're also obligated to ONLY do that if it's Christianity. nevermind, carry on. At least conservatives are *******s on a consistent basis.

B) Airdrisordals1835y- nobody cares what you have to say. Seriously.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: A) LoS- you are still obligated, as a part of being a whiney liberal, to complain, ****, and moan as much as possible about religion being in the government, schools, or anywhere near anyone in general. Oh wait, I forgot part B about being a whiney liberal. You're also obligated to ONLY do that if it's Christianity. nevermind, carry on. At least conservatives are *******s on a consistent basis.

I onyl whine about it in america because, as far as I know, America is the only one that has that whole seperation of church and state thing. And I DID say "But yeah, I'd rather kids get a decent logical schooling than ZOMG IT WAS TEH ***X0RZ!" if you were paying attention. Also, I'd be just as uptight if someone was trying to teach me the jewish or muslim version as science.

I'm not a whiney liberal, I'm a whiney american:cookie:

Seriously, I can take a webcam shot of my voters registration card if you want. I'm registered in Florida as an independant. I dont get to vote in primaries.:(

Posted by Random

I would rather believe in Intelligent design then a few giant rocks colliding, and yet somehow making life.

Not saying I can necessarily explain intelligent design down to a point but it makes more sense than an accident.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Random: I would rather believe in Intelligent design then a few giant rocks colliding, and yet somehow making life.

[COLOR="Yellow"]That makes it seem like chance or sheer happenstance. You're not taking natural selection into consideration, which is the complete opposite of chance or accident.[/COLOR]

Posted by mis0

Macro evolution seems to have holes too. Micro evolution I totally agree with - because it happens all the time.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]That makes it seem like chance or sheer happenstance. You're not taking natural selection into consideration, which is the complete opposite of chance or accident.[/COLOR]

Evolution is entirely based on random events, such as the mutation of DNA, and one animal with one mutation just happening to be stepped on. There's also a very, very smal probability that a planet would be created with the exact conditions of life, which doesn't depend on evolution/natural selection either. Natural selection relies on these random mutations to create 'better' DNA, so the better genes will be 'chosen' over the worse.

And evolution is dubious at best, because a large positive 'evolution' needs to be made up of many small mutations, and these small mutations will have little, no, or negative impact on the organism's survival.

Posted by Arwon

I searched and couldn't find anything in that page about evolution. Just some other head-spinning garbage. I wouldn't be surprised, but I would think since that Judaism and Islam have had historically different relationships with science than American Baptism they might not necessarily object to evolution?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Arwon, are you that naive or are you just kidding around? They're all faiths of the "old book", meaning they all share the old testament. Come on, man, quit playing devil's advocate for the sake of sticking up for minorities/non christians/jews. I understand you're on this whole anti-white westerners thing where you hug and kiss every minority and non-christian who's in the middle of any conflict anywhere ever, but don't be just plain stupid, man.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting higbvuyb: Evolution is entirely based on random events, such as the mutation of DNA, and one animal with one mutation just happening to be stepped on. There's also a very, very smal probability that a planet would be created with the exact conditions of life, which doesn't depend on evolution/natural selection either. Natural selection relies on these random mutations to create 'better' DNA, so the better genes will be 'chosen' over the worse.

And evolution is dubious at best, because a large positive 'evolution' needs to be made up of many small mutations, and these small mutations will have little, no, or negative impact on the organism's survival.

[COLOR="Yellow"]You don't really know what natural selection means, do you. Not only is most of what you said wrong, you actually contradicted yourself when you said that the better genes are chosen over the worse which is true. Natural selection is the process by which species adapt to their environment. It leads to change when individuals with certain characteristics have a better survival and/or reproductive rate than other individuals in a population and pass on these genetic characteristics to their offspring. Simply put, natural selection is a consistent difference in survival and reproduction between different genotypes, or even different genes, in what is called reproductive success.

Scientists use “chance” only in the sense of unpredictability. Evolution certainly does involve randomness; it does involve unpredictable chance. For example, the origin of new genetic variation by mutation is a process that involves a great deal of chance. However, natural selection itself is the single process in evolution that is the antithesis of chance. It's predictable. Within a specific environmental context, one genotype will be better than another genotype in survival or reproduction for certain reasons having to do with the way its particular features relate to the environment or relate to other organisms in the population. That provides predictability and consistency. So, if you have different populations with the same opportunity for evolution, you would get the same outcome.

As Darwin said, "life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators."[/COLOR]

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"]You don't really know what natural selection means, do you. Not only is most of what you said wrong, you actually contradicted yourself when you said that the better genes are chosen over the worse which is true. Natural selection is the process by which species adapt to their environment. It leads to change when individuals with certain characteristics have a better survival and/or reproductive rate than other individuals in a population and pass on these genetic characteristics to their offspring. Simply put, natural selection is a consistent difference in survival and reproduction between different genotypes, or even different genes, in what is called reproductive success.
So? Chance is still involved in the equation. If some animal evolves some positive trait, and a tree falls on it by chance and it dies, that's chance.
If a animal evolves the ability to walk on land as well as swim in teh sea, if it's eaten by a shark in teh middle of the ocean, that's chance. Most of the evens in an organism's lifespan happens by chance, and trhere are many things that better genes can't help at all with.

Quoted post: Scientists use “:
Wrong. If a certain mutation occurs, and it's beneficial, it's not garantueed that the animal will survive over some organism without that mutation, unlike what you think. Just like human life. Jsut because you're retarded and other peopel aren't doesn't mean you don't have a chance (however small ) of doing better than those other people.
[quote]As Darwin said, "life results from th e non-random survival of randomly varying replicators."[/COLOR]

SInce it is highly improbable that a large section of the population of a species will spontaneously 'get' a certian beneficial mutation, a positive mutation usually only happens to one organism. If that one organism manages to pass on those traits to it's offspring, then what Darwin says applies, because there are a larger number of them, and by the law of averages, the better organism will be more likely to survive.

There's also the chance the because of genetics, though an organism may have a 'good' trait, it might not be 'expressed' in its offspring.

[QUOTE]you actually contradicted yourself when you said that the better genes are chosen over the worse which is true.

Wrong. I obviously meant that if one organism with better genes competes with another with 'worse' genes, the one with better genes won't necessarily win because of random events.

Basically, natural selection only works like that when it's large population vs large population; since a positive trait begins from a single organism, it means that unless that organism lives to pass its traits onto a large population, organisms with that trait will not necessarily do better, due to random events.

It's not like ther's a bright flash, and half the population of a species sddenly gain a favourable trait, and then that half of the population begins to wtfpwn all its competitors. That trait MUST GET ESTABLISHED AMONGST THE POPULATION FIRST.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]Correct me if I'm wrong, but Saudi Arabia doesnt have a seperation of church and state clause, do they?:cookie:

Understatement of the century.

Posted by Arwon

No seriously BJ, I'm perfectly willing to accept that a bunch of middle eastern f*ckers both Jewish and Muslim don't believe in evolution or, like, in atoms and molecules if someone shows me a hardcore Jewish or Islamic discourse on the subject... I'd assume there's literal creationists in both faiths but I've honestly never seen any. I clicked the link, went CTRL F for "evolution" and "biology" and couldn't find anything.

I've searched for Jewish and Islamic attitudes to evolution before but most of what I've found has been to the effect of "okay, science says this and this, but really, regardless of science's explainations of mechanisms of science... G*d is the cause and the reason". Essentially they support theistic evolution or evolutionary creationism. It doesn't seem to be a big deal with these faiths the way it is with certain types of Christian, notably evangelical protestants.

My reasoning based on these searchings, and of my own experience of catholics and anglicans has always been that the zealous objections to evolution have been (in recent decades) somewhat specific to certain segments of the Protestant population. Certainly, the obsession with the subject seems specific to these groups.

Now, maybe it's their quirk alone to think evolution goes against G*d, or maybe it's wider than that and extends into other Abrahamic religions, but I guess the point is, many flavours of hardcore religious person seem perfectly accepting of evolution since it's so easy to say "ok yeah evolution, but G*d did it". You don't have to be creationist to ve hardcore religious and I think it's a very Christian thing to think that committed religiosity somehow implies disbelief in evolution.

Can't the Saudi education system be utterly f*cked without being creationist?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting higbvuyb: So? Chance is still involved in the equation. If some animal evolves some positive trait, and a tree falls on it by chance and it dies, that's chance.
If a animal evolves the ability to walk on land as well as swim in teh sea, if it's eaten by a shark in teh middle of the ocean, that's chance. Most of the evens in an organism's lifespan happens by chance, and trhere are many things that better genes can't help at all with.

[COLOR="Yellow"]What are you talking about? I have already explained to you that some aspects of evolution do require a great deal of randomness, but other more important ones like natural selection do not. The evolution process doesn't happen with one organism at a time, it happens with entire species at once. If a tree falls on an animal and it dies, the evolution process doesn't end with it, so you'll still get similar results with the rest of the species.[/COLOR]

Quoting higbvuyb: Wrong. If a certain mutation occurs, and it's beneficial, it's not garantueed that the animal will survive over some organism without that mutation, unlike what you think. Just like human life. Jsut because you're retarded and other peopel aren't doesn't mean you don't have a chance (however small ) of doing better than those other people.

[COLOR="Yellow"]It's not just what i think co[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]kface, it's what i've learned from the actual testing that has been done on the issue. Studies which have come to the similar conclusion over and over again. Unless you can show me evidence of testing that has been done on natural selection which contradicts what has already been mostly proven by modern science, then i'll just have to take your opinions as utter hors[COLOR="Yellow"]e[/COLOR]s[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it. Sorry.[/COLOR]

Quoting higbvuyb: SInce it is highly improbable that a large section of the population of a species will spontaneously 'get' a certian beneficial mutation, a positive mutation usually only happens to one organism. If that one organism manages to pass on those traits to it's offspring, then what Darwin says applies, because there are a larger number of them, and by the law of averages, the better organism will be more likely to survive.

[COLOR="Yellow"]There's nothing spontaneous about it! Jesus Christ, do your research![/COLOR]

Quoting higbvuyb: There's also the chance the because of genetics, though an organism may have a 'good' trait, it might not be 'expressed' in its offspring.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Wow, i did not know that, thanks for clearing it up Mr. Obvious! Did you forget that were discussing natural selection here? Which deals with entire community.
[/COLOR]

Quoting higbvuyb: Wrong. I obviously meant that if one organism with better genes competes with another with 'worse' genes, the one with better genes won't necessarily win because of random events.

[COLOR="Yellow"]You said natural evolution deals with chance, then you wrote one example that explains it doesn't. You contradicted yourself. Just the mere fact that you said Evolution is based entirely on randomness proves you don't know di[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]k about the subject.[/COLOR]

Quoting higbvuyb: Basically, natural selection only works like that when it's large population vs large population; since a positive trait begins from a single organism, it means that unless that organism lives to pass its traits onto a large population, organisms with that trait will not necessarily do better, due to random events.

It's not like ther's a bright flash, and half the population of a species sddenly gain a favourable trait, and then that half of the population begins to wtfpwn all its competitors. That trait MUST GET ESTABLISHED AMONGST THE POPULATION FIRST.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Those two paragraphs go against everything that has been established and theorized in modern science concerning natural selection and evolution within the last century. We gotta get you a fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king nobel prize because you just rewrote a huge part of scientific literature![/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't think you two are even arguing here, just utterly misunderstanding eachother. Natural selection has nothing to do with chance, natural selection is just letting the weak die and the strong live, and it affects the entire community. Genetic mutation is random and affects only the individual at first. The two combined form evolution, a process that randomly generates new traits and handpicks only the very very best.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]What are you talking about? I have already explained to you that some aspects of evolution do require a great deal of randomness, but other more important ones like natural selection do not. The evolution process doesn't happen with one organism at a time, it happens with entire species at once. If a tree falls on an animal and it dies, the evolution process doesn't end with it, so you'll still get similar results with the rest of the species.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Wikipedia]Natural selection works on the whole individual, but only the heritable component of a trait will be passed on to the offspring, with the result that favorable, heritable traits become more common in the next generation. Given enough time, this passive process can result in adaptations and speciation (see evolution).

You lose.

You know what 'are more likely' means, right? It means, chance. It means that something's more likely, but it's not definite.

Quoted post: Wow, i did not know that, thanks for clearing it up Mr. Obvious! Did you forget that were discussing natural selection here? Which deals with entire community.

Wikipedia > you.

Quoting Wikipedia: Natural selection is the process by which individual organisms with favorable traits are more likely to survive and reproduce than those with unfavorable traits.

Quoted post: [COLOR="Yellow"]You said natural evolution deals with chance, then you wrote one example that explains it doesn't. You contradicted yourself.[/color]
No I didn't. I said that if you have a large population with a specific positive trait, then it will 'beat' a population without that trait, but if there is only one of that organism with that trait, then it's based on chance. Read what I say, next time.

[QUOTE][COLOR="Yellow"] Just the mere fact that you said Evolution is based entirely on randomness proves you don't know di[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]k about the subject.[/COLOR]

Based doens't mean that it is entirely made up of randomness. Based means 'it relies on random mutations happening to work'. You don't know dick about the subject yourself, retard.

[quote][COLOR="Yellow"]Those two paragraphs go against everything that has been established and theorized in modern science concerning natural selection and evolution within the last century. We gotta get you a fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king nobel prize because you just rewrote a huge part of scientific literature![/COLOR]
No they don't. Again, Wikipedia > you. You're more deluded than a schizophrenic.

Quoting Speedfreak: I don't think you two are even arguing here, just utterly misunderstanding eachother. Natural selection has nothing to do with chance, natural selection is just letting the weak die and the strong live, and it affects the entire community. Genetic mutation is random and affects only the individual at first. The two combined form evolution, a process that randomly generates new traits and handpicks only the very very best.

No, I can actually understand English, unlike him.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I'm still waiting for the quote from Wikipedia that says natural selection is based on chance, or better yet, look around for some actual tested evidence. Take your time, Wikipedia will always be there so you can copy & paste all you like and still come up short.

Of course natural selection selection works on each indivual organism, but the end result on the community as a whole is always going to be consistent. The group with the stronger genetic characteristics will always survive. Always. What part of that don't you understand?[/COLOR]

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Luckily i live in a country where schools prefer to teach actual science over magic and wizardry. And the lord said let there be light, SHAZAAM![/COLOR]

G[COLOR="black"]o[/COLOR]d's a level 600 wizard and a level 900 Cleric of Himself.

Posted by GameMiestro

I vote for removing advanced science from high schools entirely. The way teachers try to cram it down students throats today, without giving ANY evidence of any kind to back it up, makes me wonder if physics is any less wishy-washy than creationist theories. If some sucker wants to learn evolution in college, he can spend his life that way, but please, don't go trying to tell us that string theory and it's ilk is anything else than a philosophy.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

There is a flower on the yucca plant, aptly called the "Yucca Flower". Not too long ago, I believe in the mid 1800's, an entomologist by the name of C.V. Riley noted the change in the appearence of the Yucca moth. This moth was unique because it polinated the yucca flower. Initially, the moth was dark in color. Eventually, a moth was born with a genetic deformity that caused it to be lighter in color. When it had offspring, you're left with a few different moths, ones that are dark in color, and lighter ones. The flowers that these moths notoriously pollinate are white, and the lighter moths blended in really well, hiding them from predators, while the darker colored moths were eaten/killed.

Eventually, this trend continued until today, where the yucca moth is completely white and looks almost exactly like stamen from the flower when it is perched on the flower, making it almost invisible to predators.

That's evolution, folks. The characteristics of this creature have changed over time and it has been documented. You'd be a fool to think that the Yucca Moth is an isolated incident. Obviously, any species can and will mutate, and if the mutation is to the surviving advantage of the species, that "mutation" will eventually become the norm, as the older ones die off.

Look at the Bubonic Plague. You think it just "went away"? Of course. Some people were born with some freakish resistance to the disease, and they weren't killed by it, and neither were their offspring with the same freakish resistance. Eventually, the only people left were those with that resistance.

That's probably also why HIV is harmless in most primates, but awfully deadly in humans. It probably killed all the primates it could kill and only those left were the one with some weird resistance to it.

The same will probably happen with humans over the next few hundred/thousand years. And we will look back on HIV the same way we look on the Bubonic Plague.

So there you have it. Evolution at work, folks. Natural selection, survival of the fittest, whatever you'd like to call it. It's there, and if you deny it, you're denying fact.

As to the topic of this thread, yes, there's a school somewhere that doesn't teach evolution.

BJ, I don't think anyone is saying that schools need to teach evolution. I think what we were getting at, or at least, in my case, the idea that we should teach a religious concept and call it science. If they don't want to teach evolution, that's fine, but I'll bet that in Saudi Arabia, they don't call their creation theory a science. They hold it up with religious precepts and ideas, instead of calling it a scientifically researched and proven idea.

Posted by GameMiestro

And here I was trying to stir up some serious debate... :( Anyways, Fei-on, remember that story about the white moths in England that started dissapearing when all the trees were covered in soot, and black ones started appearing in their place? Then, when they cleaned up the pollution, and the white moths started appearing again... everyone knows that story, but it sounds suspiciously similar to your tale.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting GameMiestro: I vote for removing advanced science from high schools entirely. The way teachers try to cram it down students throats today, without giving ANY evidence of any kind to back it up, makes me wonder if physics is any less wishy-washy than creationist theories. If some sucker wants to learn evolution in college, he can spend his life that way, but please, don't go trying to tell us that string theory and it's ilk is anything else than a philosophy.

[COLOR="Yellow"]. . . I don't know how to respond to something like that.

Maybe you're right though. Why don't we also get rid of schools altogether? And Science too, pfft, who needs it. Let's get rid of technology too while were at it.[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

I have no physical evidence that computers exist. All I can say is that Mr. Computer Builder says he built one. He must be some type of creationist or something.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]I'm still waiting for the quote from Wikipedia that says natural selection is based on chance, or better yet, look around for some actual tested evidence. Take your time, Wikipedia will always be there so you can copy & paste all you like and still come up short.

Of course natural selection selection works on each indivual organism, but the end result on the community as a whole is always going to be consistent. The group with the stronger genetic characteristics will always survive. Always. What part of that don't you understand?[/COLOR]

Quoting Wikipedia: Natural selection is the process by which individual organisms with favorable traits are more likely to survive and reproduce than those with unfavorable traits.

You must be blind as well as retarded, if you couldn't read that in my previous post.

Do you know what 'more likely' means? Do you know what 'Individual organisms' means? You just proved yourself to be a fu[COLOR=#E0E0E0]c[/COLOR]king retard again.

And even lot of likely's don't make a definite, dip****, it makes a very likely.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting GameMiestro: And here I was trying to stir up some serious debate... :( Anyways, Fei-on, remember that story about the white moths in England that started dissapearing when all the trees were covered in soot, and black ones started appearing in their place? Then, when they cleaned up the pollution, and the white moths started appearing again... everyone knows that story, but it sounds suspiciously similar to your tale.

A big difference between our two stories is that I provided the name of the entomologist, the time he lived, the creatures he studied and a few other details.

I've never heard a story about the moths in England that you're talking about. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never heard of it.

Whether it's true or not, it does PROVE that creatures do adapt over time. They do change, and those who refuse to adapt and change with the rest, will die off.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Fei-on Castor]A big difference between our two stories is that I provided the name of the entomologist, the time he lived, the creatures he studied and a few other details.

I get your hint. :(

Alright, you can find this in "Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life", 7'th edition, made in, er, 1995. And someone named Ralph Taggart is the biologist.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting higbvuyb: You must be blind as well as retarded, if you couldn't read that in my previous post.

Do you know what 'more likely' means? Do you know what 'Individual organisms' means? You just proved yourself to be a fu[COLOR=#E0E0E0]c[/COLOR]king retard again.

And even lot of likely's don't make a definite, dip****, it makes a very likely.

[COLOR="Yellow"]You still don't get it, let me rephrase. I'm still waiting for the quote that says the end result of natural selection on a community is chance, take your time. In the case of natural selection, a lot of likelys do have a definite result. You learn something new every day. Yay.

If you still can't understand that, i'll have to resort to sign language.[/COLOR]

Posted by higbvuyb

[QUOTE=Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"]You still don't get it, let me rephrase. I'm still waiting for the quote that says the end result of natural selection on a community is chance, take your time. In the case of natural selection, a lot of likelys do have a definite result. You learn something new every day. Yay.
First point: The end result of natural selection can't be 'chance' because that doesn't make proper grammatical sense. learn english.

Second. Mathematically, many likely's makes a very likely. Not a definite. Maths > you.

Third. What you're doing is generally called a '[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man"]Strawman[/URL]' [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy"]logical fallacy[/URL]. Since you're retarded and have limited cognitive development, it's not surprising coming from you.

Obviously, 'Evolution is entirely based on random events, such as the [random] mutation of DNA' Does not mean anything like you're implying. And that's the sort of thing I've been saying for the entire thread.

If you were capable of reading correctly, you'd know my points were:
Evolution relies a random event, namely the mutation of DNA, therefore it is based on chance (However, this does not mean that it is completely chance).
A very small population is affected by chance events far more than a large population. A large population does not come from nowhere, it originates from a small one. Therefore, the small population must survive random events long enough to become a large one.

Only a ****ing retard would be able to somehow get 'the end result of natural selection on a community is chance' from what I've been saying, but again, since you're retarded, it's not surprising.
You lose again.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting higbvuyb: Only a ****ing retard would be able to somehow get 'the end result of natural selection on a community is chance' from what I've been saying, but again, since you're retarded, it's not surprising.
You lose again.

[COLOR="Yellow"]higbvuyb, you're peeing on your own feet. You're not just arguing with what i think. You're arguing with what has been factually, and scientifically agreed upon worlwide. If you actually believe in your mind that some of the most brilliant scientists in the world are ****ing retarded for coming to that conclusion and that in turn what you think is better than what they've discovered, then there's no point in arguing with you anymore.

I know its hard for somebody who hasn't studied much on the theory of natural selection to question the end result being always consistent and not random. But that's the way mother nature works higbvuyb. Evolution is a wonderful thing kid and natural selection is the single reason why we are still here.

Who knows, maybe someday in the future we won't be the dominant species on this planet anymore, and when mother nature says it's time to go, it's time to go. That may mean the dinosaurs, that may mean the Dodo, that may mean you and me.

"If he'd said 'chance' instead of 'natural selection' he'd have been right. Indeed, I regretted having to expose him as one of the many toilers under the profound misapprehension that natural selection is chance."~Richard Dawkins

You're probably thinking that quote's from some liberal ****ing retard who doesn't know what he's talking about, right? Yeah, a real fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king retard (according to you):

-Royal Society of Literature Award(1997)
-Los Angeles Times Literary Prize(1987)
-1989 Silver Medal of the Zoological Society of London
-1990 Royal Society Michael Faraday Award for the furtherance of the public understanding of science
-In 1998, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature
-vice-president of the British Humanist Association
-honorary patron of the Trinity College University Philosophical Society
-Zoological Society of London Silver Medal (1989)
-Bicentennial Kelvin Medal
-Dawkins topped Prospect magazine's 2004 list of the top 100 public British intellectuals, as decided by the readers, receiving twice as many votes as the runner-up
-In 2005 the Hamburg-based Alfred Toepfer Foundation awarded him their Shakespeare Prize in recognition of his "concise and accessible presentation of scientific knowledge"

But what does he know right? I'm sure you know a lot more than he does.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's not fair to pull up the credentials of intellectuals and then defunk my previous thoughts on creationalists not being complete morons when I didn't pull that card on you :(

Posted by higbvuyb

[QUOTE=Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"]higbvuyb, you're peeing on your own feet. You're not just arguing with what i think. You're arguing with what has been factually, and scientifically agreed upon worlwide. If you actually believe in your mind that some of the most brilliant scientists in the world are ****ing retarded for coming to that conclusion and that in turn what you think is better than what they've discovered, then there's no point in arguing with you anymore....
Why are you so ****ing retarded? It's obvious that it's virtually definite that a large population with a positive trait will survive over another. Just like 1 - 0.4^1000000 is virtually one. You can say that it's definite, because it will only produce a contrary result every 10^400 years, which means that it won't happen. But just like a better soccer team may still lose against one that is vastly worse, it's not mathematically definite because there is a very small chance that it will not happen.

If you don't understand that that's what he really means, then you should jsut sit in a corner and slit your wrists.

And are you that ****ing retarded? I never said that 'evolution/natural selection is chance'. The fact that it isn't chance doesn't mean that it doesn't rely on chance in some way. It's jsut that in large population vs large population, that chance is so small that it doesn't need to be considered.

If you can't actually understand english and you cna't understand what I'm actually saying, (it's simple english, it's not that hard), then you shouldn't be on a forum where the dominant language is english. You should be in a corner, slitting your wrists.

I can do a Strawman to you, I can say "Only a retard would say that chance has absolutely nothing to do with natural selection at all, it's not like when a single organism has 'better' genes, it's got a energy shield so it will always win", but it's jsut retarded, and logically false, so unlike you, I don't do that.

***, that Richard guy even wore a shirt saying "Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators.". See? "Randomly varying". Random =~ chance. You lose. You see, there is a element of randomness in it, it just doesn't affect the result.

And do you know why he used the word 'random' rather than the word 'chance'? because the Oxford Dictionary (Written by people with better qualifications than you) defines 'random' as 'all possibilies having equal probabilty'. Which means that it can be affected by some chance, but not competely by chance.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Look, the fact is natural selection isn't chance because it deals with the end result on a community, you keep talking about genetic mutation which does rely on chance because it deals with single individuals. Those are the facts and they will remain to be so even if you don't agree with it, i'm not going to try to prove it to you because you can't prove something to someone who doesn't want to be proven wrong (even when they painfully are). I was going to keep the "debate" going by showing wave after wave of experiments and test results that debunk your crackpot theories, but i remembered how you admitted in another thread that you make s[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it up in arguments.

So, you can believe that natural selection is based on randomness and that pigs fly all you like. But like i said before in another thread, despite what Finding Neverland taught you, believing in something really hard doesn't make it true.

Sad part is, you never showed that proof i asked for[/COLOR]

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Look, the fact is natural selection isn't chance because it deals with the end result on a community, you keep talking about genetic mutation which does rely on chance because it deals with single individuals. Those are the facts and they will remain to be so even if you don't agree with it, i'm not going to try to prove it to you because you can't prove something to someone who doesn't want to be proven wrong (even when they painfully are). I was going to keep the "debate" going by showing wave after wave of experiments and test results that debunk your crackpot theories,
I'm not talking about genetic mutation here.
And did you even read what I ****ing said? I said that the part attributable to chance in a large population is too small to detect, and would happen, for example, maybe once every 10^400000 years mathematically. You can't 'disprove' this with your experiments, because you'd have to do, on average, 5 * 10 ^ 399999 such experiments to find one such example.

Obviously, in this timeframe, you can't do that experimentally.

It's just like F=ma. It's wrong because it doesn't take into account the increase in apparent mass, but that's ignored when using speeds which are not significant fractions of c. It's too small to be relevant, so people still use the equation.

Crackpot theory eh? Then why does it fit every single experiment, theory, etc, unlike what you're saying?
[quote]but i remembered how you admitted in another thread that you make s[COLOR="Yellow"]h[/COLOR]it up in arguments.
You ****ing liar. I said that I made up (=thought up) my own arguments, instead of reading them off a book, like a fool.

Quoted post: So, you can believe that natural selection is based on randomness and that pigs fly all you like. But like i said before in another thread, despite what Finding Neverland taught you, believing in something really hard doesn't make it true.

By 'based on randomness' I meant that:
1. Within very small populations, chance has a relatively large effect
2. Within large populations, the part attributable to chance is very small, and can be ignored because such events will not happen within the timeframe of, say, the life of the universe.
3. It also requires mutations tat are random.

Never did I say 'natural selection is chance' which your strawman arguments seem to suggest.

[quote]Sad part is, you never showed that proof i asked for[/COLOR]

because maybe you're jsut a bastard calling strawman arguments? Dancing around your opponent's point but not actually addressing it isn't considered a proper reply, you know?

This is absically what you're doing.

hey, why don't you give me evidence that chance has absolutely no relevance to natural selection? Why don't you prove that:
when you have a single organism with a favourable trait, it will always 'win' against organisms without that trait?

That's what you said, isn't it? that chance has absolutely nothing to do with
natural selection at all? and that quote from WIkipedia
Quoted post: Natural selection is the process by which individual organisms with favorable traits are more likely to survive and reproduce than those with unfavorable traits.

Obviously is incorrect because you're far more qualified than anyone who's contributed to that page, or even looked at it?

And obviously you're better than that Richard Dawkins guy who he said 'Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators'
Obviously you're right and he's wrong, random has nothign to do with it, and he shouldn't have used the word random, he should have used chance instead.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

*dumb look*

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: *dumb look*

exactly... this thread is the epitome of retarded "debates" on the internet. they both look like special olympians right now.

remember kids, it doesn't matter how many times you say the exact same fuking thing over and over again, or how big your font size is, you can't force a square peg into a round hole without tearing a perinium here or there.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting NES Queen: exactly... this thread is the epitome of retarded "debates" on the internet. they both look like special olympians right now.

[COLOR="Yellow"]So, how do cool "debates" work? By just posting once in the thread and telling others how not to debate? [/COLOR] :rolleyes:

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Well, not to get involved, but I can see what Queenie is talking about. I just would've said in a more tactful way. But let's be honest, tact is not really NES Queen's cup o' tea.

Think about it this way, Aioros. With each of Hig's posts that you read, are you any more convinced that Hig is right? Probably not, and it's likely that he feels the same way. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong because the other party has their mind made up and won't be swaying. You've stated your point, and Hig has stated his. You won't get anywhere reiterating them any further.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Well, not to get involved, but I can see what Queenie is talking about. I just would've said in a more tactful way. But let's be honest, tact is not really NES Queen's cup o' tea.

Think about it this way, Aioros. With each of Hig's posts that you read, are you any more convinced that Hig is right? Probably not, and it's likely that he feels the same way. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong because the other party has their mind made up and won't be swaying. You've stated your point, and Hig has stated his. You won't get anywhere reiterating them any further.

[COLOR="Yellow"]The way i see it, debating isn't about trying to convince the other. Debating is about letting your opinions and views be know. From the moment 2 or more peope begin an argument, it's pretty much a given that nobody is going to have a different opinion than when than when they started. But, if you make a point and someone tells you that it's wrong even though in your heart you know you are giving truthful information, you shouldn't just drop the conversation and walk away because the other person doesn't get it. Of course we're going to keep talking about the same thing since that's what the main topic between us was about and that's how it usually turns out on the internet (just look around at differen topics on the War Board and you'll see when 2 people start debating each other about the same thing, it goes on for many posts, even pages). I wasn't trying to make him change his mind, i just kept posting and more reasons as to why he was misinformed. And if anyone outside of the conversation didn't like the way i was arguing or thought i was repetitive, well, they can just look away and read something else (which apparently she couldn't do). Apparently NES Queen felt it was extremely important to point out how retarded some of the online debating is without defining what she thinks online debating should be like, because as you know there are obviously rules when it comes to internet arguments. :rolleyes:

This isn't going to turn into a debate about how people should debate, is it? That would be the epitome of retarded debating (and not just online).[/COLOR]

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]So, how do cool "debates" work? By just posting once in the thread and telling others how not to debate? [/COLOR] :rolleyes:

Debates are not about what's considered cool or uncool, its about intelligent discussions. Not what you guys are currently doing, which is seeing who can scream louder and longer and force the other person to get so frustrated they just act like the bigger person and walk away. Once you start name calling and losing your temper where you're cursing in every other sentence, the intelligent discussion is gone. You guys have flown right past that exit and are now traveling along the idiot highway to the land of keytards.

And my opinions about evolution, as well as all my supporting documents and evidence to back up my claims, have been stated more times than I care to recall. For me to jump in the middle of yet another evolution debate would be like beating a dead horse. Sure, it's entertaining for the first few minutes, but then what's the point? I've learned in my life that most people are perfectly happy and content living the life of an ignoramus. Even if I were to take a grape, put it in the microwave in front of someone, then let it rip and say "watch, it sparks!" so they could see it for themselves, there will always be someone who will disagree with you, despite the fact that the "proof" is right in front of their eyes. I could sit there and argue with them about it till the cows come home, but what's the point? It's their loss if they want to deny empirical facts, not mine.

[quote]Apparently NES Queen felt it was extremely important to point out how retarded some of the online debating is without defining what she thinks online debating should be like...
I did. I'm sorry, but if you, or anyone else for that matter, is acting like a retard, I will always call you out on it.

You both are at the point where your not even reading, or comprehending, the points that the other is making. Higb flat out says "I never said that evolution/natural selection is chance", and the very next post you start off by saying "the fact is natural selection isn't chance". No sh*t sherlock, he just stated the exact same thing right before you did.

This thread was supposed to be about how there are schools out there teaching alternative views to evolution, and the two of you have turned it into an argument about the literal interpretation of the word "chance". Good job! :cookie:

Posted by Aioros

Quoting NES Queen: Debates are not about what's considered cool or uncool, its about intelligent discussions. Not what you guys are currently doing, which is seeing who can scream louder and longer and force the other person to get so frustrated they just act like the bigger person and walk away. Once you start name calling and losing your temper where you're cursing in every other sentence, the intelligent discussion is gone. You guys have flown right past that exit and are now traveling along the idiot highway to the land of keytards.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I've already stated in another thread that i use crude language sometimes when i'm really passionate about a certain topic. And i also said that just because i use such language doesn't mean i'm losing my temper or that i'm losing sight of the argument at hand, i'm simply choosing to replace one word with another that i feel gets the point across much better. It certainly doesn't mean the intelligent conversation is gone. They're all words anyways, and one shouldn't put much emphasis on cuss words just cause they're cuss words. I'll quote myself when i said "the message is the mesage".
[/COLOR]

Quoting NES Queen: You both are at the point where your not even reading, or comprehending, the points that the other is making. Higb flat out says "I never said that evolution/natural selection is chance", and the very next post you start off by saying "the fact is natural selection isn't chance". No sh*t sherlock, he just stated the exact same thing right before you did.

[COLOR="Yellow"]But before that he said:[/COLOR]

Quoting : Evolution is entirely based on random events

[COLOR="Yellow"]And then about natural selection:[/COLOR]

Quoting : So? Chance is still involved in the equation

[COLOR="Yellow"]He says something in one post and then in another he contradicts himself. I'm paying attention to what he's saying, the problem is he changes his own arguments so much that it becomes confusing. That's why i finally decided to stop because i figured out what was going on.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

people who are passionate about goofy things scare me. what, did charles darwin save you from drowning in a kiddy pool or something?

Posted by higbvuyb

[quote=Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"]He says something in one post and then in another he contradicts himself. I'm paying attention to what he's saying, the problem is he changes his own arguments so much that it becomes confusing. That's why i finally decided to stop because i figured out what was going on.[/COLOR]
I don't think he's realised yet that neither 'evolution is entirely based on chance' nor 'chance is still involved in evolution' [/B] (and, quote, 'I said that the part attributable to chance in a large population is too small to detect') [b]actually mean 'evolution is chance'.
My argument has always been the same, it's just been added to.

When did someone teach him that 'entirely based' means 'is'?

I've said it many times, yet he still doesn't realise it after about ten posts. I'm still trying to hammer it into his hard skull, and he's still digging himself into a hole. He's trying to argue against something I never meant.

And he finally leaves the thread when he realises how stupid he was.

Quoting NES Queen: You both are at the point where your not even reading, or comprehending, the points that the other is making.

Actually, I'm reading through his arguments point by point and replying with why what he just said has nothing to do with my argument, and that he's arguing against something I didn't say.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: people who are passionate about goofy things scare me. what, did charles darwin save you from drowning in a kiddy pool or something?

[COLOR="Yellow"]Goofy science, lol.

Charles Darwin brought up the theory that is now considered a cornerstone in biology, and proved to be a giant blow to ignorant religious nuts in an era where anything other than Creationism wasn't taken seriously. That makes him one of my heroes along with others like Richard Dawkins, Noam Chomsky, James Randi, Michael Shermer, and even Penn Jillette to name a few.[/COLOR]

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"] Penn Jillette [/COLOR]

He and Teller did a cool thing on their show "Bullsh*t" about creationism. You can probably find it on Youtube or something. It was very informative and generally cool.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fei-on Castor: He and Teller did a cool thing on their show "Bullsh*t" about creationism. You can probably find it on Youtube or something. It was very informative and generally cool.

It was also biased and mocked Christians. :(

Wait.. mocking Christians is colol! OH SHI-

Posted by Fate

aaaaa