Uhh ... Pluto is no longer a planet?

Posted by Xenos

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/24/pluto.ap/index.html

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, I found the draft definition to be pretty odd, since it allowed for too many objects to be considered a planet. It was either make Pluto a planet, along with a couple other objects, or boot Pluto and downside our solar system to eight. So I guess it makes sense.

However, aren't they considering calling Pluto a "dwarf planet" instead? Best of both worlds if that's the case.

Posted by The Judge

Whoo! If only I was still in elementary school, I'd be overjoyed that I have one less planet to memorize.

Still, that's a bit..odd.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting The Judge: Whoo! If only I was still in elementary school, I'd be overjoyed that I have one less planet to memorize.

Still, that's a bit..odd.

Was pluto really that hard to memorize? It was the the last one.

Still, I think dwarf planet will be good. It wouldnt be hard to introduce pluto and its other dwarf planets in a midle/high school course. So itys not dead, just, harder to comprehend.

Posted by NES Queen

looks like we're actually up to 12, not down to 8, as far as things to memorize at least.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/?GT1=8404

Posted by The Judge

Quoting TendoAddict: Was pluto really that hard to memorize? It was the the last one.

I have several learning disabilities that make my life a living hell.

Posted by victimofadown

scientist are really hiding the truth behind Pluto no longer being a planet. I found out that Pluto was actually destroyed. By what? you may ask....

two words: DEATH STAR

Vader is laughing his *** off as we speak.

Posted by WackoHater2

Watch, my cheap school will hand out books this year and tell us to cross out anything involving Pluto instead of getting new text books.

Posted by Lord of Spam

"Was pluto really that hard to memorize? It was the the last one. "

Actually, Pluto crosses paths with Uranus every now and then, making it close than uranus. This is one of the things that seem to make it NOT a planet; its orbit is far more asteroid like.

Posted by Linko_16

Pfft, I'm always going to think of it as a planet.

EDIT -

[quote=Link that NES Queen posted]Planets: The eight worlds starting with Mercury and moving out to Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Dwarf planets: Pluto and any other round object that "has not cleared the neighborhood around its orbit, and is not a satellite."
Small solar system bodies: All other objects orbiting the sun.

I hope this isn't all that there is to it, 'cause this is just "Pluto's not a planet because we say so."

Posted by keyartist

Yeah i heard that. So does that mean the test I failed by one point in the third grade no longer an F, because I put * planets?

Quoted post: looks like we're actually up to 12, not down to 8, as far as things to memorize at least.

There's still at eight. Chances are schools and the general public won't bother with dwarf planets because it may, eventually, include too many. Even in that link they say how there might be dozens included, and hundreds more eventually added. So kids will only have to memorise eight.

Posted by junior senior

Yeah, I heard about this happening last year in class. And I just finished learning about this stuff in earth science :(

Posted by Linkman

Actually, I think there's 9 now (there was 10 before Pluto was knocked out). Or did they not yet officially name 'Xena' a planet? Also, I think they were thinking of making one of Saturn's moons a planet too..

I'm so confused. :(

There was nine. Pluto, Charon and 2003 UB313 are drawf planets. So there is now eight. As far as I know, one of Saturn's moons was never being considered.

Posted by Linko_16

Yeah, if it's not orbiting the sun, then it wouldn't make sense to consider it a planet.

Posted by Dexter

So what specifically do they need to have in order to be considered a planet? I took an astronomy class this last spring and the discussion came up a lot, but the teacher never seemed to have any answers. Is it the size that really should matter? Doesn't Pluto have 2 moons orbiting it? That seems to be a more justifiable planet qualification than size. Also, it doesn't get altered from the gravity of Neptune like the dwarfs from the kuiper belt would, right?

It's a trap! Hurry, get your retrograde radiation liquefiers!!!

- It has to orbit a star
- has to be round
- has to have it's own gravity
- has to have cleared it's orbit

The last point meaning there will be nothing in it's path of significant size, other than its own moons. There's also something else, but I can't recall it. Anyways, Pluto and 2003 aren't considered planets because they haven't fulfilled the last point. That's pretty much the only thing that's causing them to be dwarf planets.

Posted by Xenos

Pluto's orbit was rather ****ed up, actually. It says so in the article.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Plutos orbit is bth oblong and at an angle to the plane the other plantets orbit on.

Posted by muffla

in my opinion saying pluto isnt a planet is like saying a cell phone isnt a phone think about it a dwarf planet is just like a planet but smaller and a cellphone is just like a phone but smaller

Posted by Apathetic

I wonder how much this will effect the teachings in school.

Quoted post: Pluto's orbit was rather ****ed up, actually. It says so in the article.

It's irregular, but still has an orbit.

Quoted post: I wonder how much this will effect the teachings in school.

Very little. All they have to do is omit pluto, maybe give a short explanation why. After five to ten years it won't even be an issue.

Quoted post: in my opinion saying pluto isnt a planet is like saying a cell phone isnt a phone think about it a dwarf planet is just like a planet but smaller and a cellphone is just like a phone but smaller

Uh, what? That's exactly what a dwarf planet is. It's not like saying "lol a cellphone isn't a phone" because Pluto is still a planet, just a minor planet. The only thing that's holding it back, as I said, is the fact that is hasn't cleared its neighbourhood. Otherwise, it's a regular planet. I mean, it wouldn't be called dwarf planet if it wasn't anything like a planet.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

If Pluto isn't classed as a planet then there is no way Jupiter can be classed as one. It's a fucking gas cloud.

Quoted post: If Pluto isn't classed as a planet then there is no way Jupiter can be classed as one. It's a ****ing gas cloud.

Luckily, whether it's a solid object or not doesn't appear to matter. The four points I listed and "is not massive enough to initiate thermonuclear fusion of deuterium in its core" are what make a planet a planet.

Yeah, but I don't trust your judgement. You said Pluto's orbit was oblong, ya eejit.

Actually, I said it was irregular. Which is correct. LoS said it was oblong. I'm Vamp.

Fucking DA avatar bandwagon gragh.

And it's not irregular either. It's elliptical. If it was irregular it wouldn't be an orbit.

Quoted post: And it's not irregular either. It's elliptical. If it was irregular it wouldn't be an orbit.

The definition fits. It's not like the rest of the orbits, rather it's inclined.

Posted by Echo

Just think about it. In 20 years we will all have children and be able to say to them "I remember back in the day when Pluto was a planet...." Why, I feel old already!