Awesome news about Zelda

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote]
Sword Controls For Zelda
Swing the Wiimote to control Link's sword.
by Anoop Gantayat

August 21, 2006 -

Nintendo has made some major changes to the control scheme for the Wii version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Speaking to Japan's monthly Nintendo Dream publication, producer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that the game will now allow players to swing the controller for sword slashes.

At E3, players used the B button to swing Link's sword, with Nintendo explaining at the time that players would likely get tired having to actually swing the controller. "Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way," said Miyamoto to Nintendo Dream about the new control scheme.

Going along with this change, Nintendo has made modifications to the game's bow and arrow controls. In the E3 version, players aimed with the Wiimote, then actually shot out arrows using the D-pad. With the B button now free, Nintendo has moved the action to the B button. Miyamoto felt that that shooting the arrow with the D-pad was too difficult, and the B button allows for quicker and easier shooting.

It's unclear if the game will require the new control scheme or if players will be able to chose between different methods of control.

Nintendo Dream closed off by asking Miyamoto to name the version of Zelda he personally prefers. The master game maker said that he'd play the Wii version, but added that both versions will be fun.

"I can't talk about it yet, but this Zelda has a lot to it," said Miyamoto. "What you played at E3 was just the tip of the nail." Regarding Nintendo's statement at E3 that Twilight Princess would be the best Zelda in history, he said, "Yes. It's coming along quite nicely."

With Twilight Princess due out at launch, GameCube and Wii owners will get to fully explore the potentially greatest Zelda game ever in just a few months. Stay tuned for more!

Source: [URL="http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html"]http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html[/URL]

Y'ALL GONNA STOP BI[COLOR=LIGHTGREEN]T[/COLOR]CHING NOW?

Posted by Bebop

Does that mean Link's sword moevements mimic that of the controller exactly or what?

Posted by TendoAddict

Sounds nice, Oviously Nintendo want to make this one gold. But how good is the sword controll? It could just be gimmicky or you could actually swing low or high for different effects. Cant wait to see.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bebop]Does that mean Link's sword moevements mimic that of the controller exactly or what?

It most likely means you can do all of Link's different sword swings with motion rather than the game mimicking you completely.

Posted by Ant

Hmm...

[quote=quote]At E3, players used the B button to swing Link's sword, with Nintendo explaining at the time that players would likely get tired having to actually swing the controller.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Hopefully it comes out good. Still, I'm slightly worried about that.

Posted by Bebop

Can you do both? I like options. Switching from hand to b on the fly would be great.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Ant]Hmm...

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Hopefully it comes out good. Still, I'm slightly worried about that.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Personally, I find the idea of coming out of a fight with Ganondorf sweating and breathing heavily, awesome. The rest of the game isn't very hack'n'slash anyway, for the most part swordfights will last 30 seconds max. You people telling me you can't last 30 seconds? (innuendo totally intentional)

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Speedfreak: I don't see why this is such a big deal. Personally, I find the idea of coming out of a fight with Ganondorf sweating and breathing heavily, awesome.

That seems very lame. I can picture someone swinging their "Wiimote" around like an idiot, and seeming all cool. LAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

I'd much rather play with a Gamecube controller.

Posted by Fate

Like I said before, if you can do the same thing by flicking your wrist quickly, I'd rather laze about and do that instead. Not quite virtual reality, but not a game driven by a controller.

I'll sit down for this one. Probably get some carpal tunnel or something.

Posted by TendoAddict

People seem to make harsh desisons on a few sentances and piles of speculation.

All this could mean is that a slight jerk (not much more then one gamers can do on impulse) will swing the sword. I doubt you would sweat like a track star. I Doubt you'd look like a Jack @ss unless you want to look like one.

I wait till I play before I say anything.

Posted by Bebop

People will only look stupid doing something if it has no effect. Swinging the Wiimote has effect so dont be a little drama queen.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Roinkz: That seems very lame. I can picture someone swinging their "Wiimote" around like an idiot, and seeming all cool. LAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Absofreakinglutely. Between flicking your wrist or pressing your thumb, i choose the latter. I don't see how the Wiimote can make this game more fun to play. The remote has potential for some games, but not really for Zelda.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Roinkz]That seems very lame. I can picture someone swinging their "Wiimote" around like an idiot, and seeming all cool. LAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Yeah man, totally. You know what game sucks? Time Crisis, man. People look so gay actually aiming their guns, I'd much rather use a stick. I look so much cooler that way. And that's what counts, me looking cool, not the game being easier or more fun to play.

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, and there are all those Eyetoy games on the PS2. What the fuck? Why the hell do we have to use a camera? It'd be so much more fun if you could just use analogue sticks to play the minigames, and plus, you'd look like less of an idiot. In your own home. With nobody around watching. Totally.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's both cool and really lame at the same time. I think it was bebop who said he would like the option of switching on the fly, and I'm all for that. I think it's a neat idea, but I don't want to be forced to do it, nor do I want to go through menues when I feel like swinging the wiimote around. But I guess that's why I'm buying the GC version also...

Posted by Hyper

I personally think this is great news. It'll be a lot more interesting than a simple button press.

Roinkz, you play video games. You are all ready lame. Face it. =P

Posted by Linko_16

I have to admit, being able to do horizontal slashes, vertical slashes, stabs and other movements by actually doing them would be a bit easier than remembering which is just B and which is B and forward and which is blah blah blah. But being able to switch would be nice.

Posted by Fate

If the sword slashes the same way if I was standing up and slashing or sitting down and flicking my wrist violently, I'd rather not look like an idiot and just sit.

And Zelda is so unituitive, Linko. I don't know how you could get confused.
:(

Posted by Linko_16

Well, it's not so much that it would be easier as it would be more deliberate and interesting. I guess. Or just neat.

Posted by maian

STFU IT WILL BE AMAZING

...Really, I don't have doubts. Nintendo has never messed up with Zelda. It's never been done. Why doubt this? Nintendo hardly ever screws up for me, anyway. I'll trust that this way is indeed better, coming from Miyamoto himself.

And gawd, you guys are morons. :( Like 14 others in this thread have said, [SIZE=6] IT'S A FLICK OF A WRIST, AND NOT A FULL ARM SWING.[/SIZE][SIZE=10]YOU WON'T LOOK LIKE A MORON DOING IT.[/SIZE]

Posted by Cloudstud

I cant wait for this game its going to be so great!!!!!!!!

Posted by Fate

Hey, maian, you forgot the part where Miyamoto said it was possible to do BOTH. Why do one when you can do the other in a more comfortable place?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]Hey, maian, you forgot the part where Miyamoto said it was possible to do BOTH. Why do one when you can do the other in a more comfortable place?[/COLOR]

Because the other isn't uncomfortable to begin with and offers greater control. Pay attention, you don't have to swing it all over the place.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting maian: ...Really, I don't have doubts. Nintendo has never messed up with Zelda. It's never been done.

Why, hello there, CD-I! :cookie:

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Alastor: Why, hello there, CD-I! :cookie:

Cuz you know Nintendo made that game.

Oh wait , no they didnt, Philips did. Niny just gave them permission to use the characters.

Posted by maian

Oh. Well. I guess I did forgot that detail. :(

The point still stands. If people are whining about looking retarded, you can do it either way.

Point is, people shouldn't really be whining about that problem. =/

Posted by Kit

I actually want to get this game and use the Wiimote as a sword, if anybody says I look like a retard while playing it, I'll just call them a sadact for caring.

Posted by Alastor

My point stands because giving Phillips permission to create games based on one of their biggest franchises was a screw-up in the first place.

Why are people complaining about looking retarded? That seems like half of the fun. Full swings might get a bit tiring, but simple flicks of the wrist sound boring. I might as well just press a button for all the good it'll do.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Why are people complaining about looking retarded? That seems like half of the fun. Full swings might get a bit tiring, but simple flicks of the wrist sound boring. I might as well just press a button for all the good it'll do.

Not really, either way is more intuitive than an analog direction + a button. MAYBE YOU FORGOT THAT MAJOR FUNCTION PURPOSE OF THE CONTROLLER, I DON'T KNOW.

Quoted post: Not really, either way is more intuitive than an analog direction + a button. MAYBE YOU FORGOT THAT MAJOR FUNCTION PURPOSE OF THE CONTROLLER, I DON'T KNOW.

Maybe you forgot how mind-numbingly simple it is to pretty up+A? Whether it's more "intuitive" or not, what it's replacing is so simple to do and use that it's only improving on it by just a bit. Nothing to make much of a difference. The difference and improvement should come from how it draws you into the game and how it introduces new gameplay mechanics. For both reasons, I'd rather look like a retard. Otherwise, a simple tap of the A button should suffice.

Posted by Speedfreak

You don't have to be making a full reenactment for motion control to be an immersive experience. Playing Guitar Hero is a lot more immersive than playing it with an ordinary controller, despite the special controller actually being completely different to a real guitar.

Mm, not quite the same. It's immersive because the controller itself is very much like a real guitar, and the motions and movements you make are also fairly lifelike. Not completely, but enough to make you feel pretty badass if you aren't already proficient with a guitar. However, this is of course just for myself, a simple flick of the wrist probably won't do it. Things like the bow and the fishing rod, however, will probably be very, very enjoyable just for the immersion factor.

Of course, my opinion could be radically different once I actually hold a wiimote. But that's the fun in speculation, you never know.

Posted by Drewboy64

How exactly will the sword swings react to the wiimote swinging? Will it be predetermined attacks, will it match your movement, or will it just be a fun replacement for a button?

or has this been said already?

Posted by Hyper

That's all ready been asked and I don't think the answer has been revealed yet.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, I thought so...

Probably like Red Steel. Certain motion gives you a certain attack.

Posted by Arcadios

Imagine this.
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/Dark_Link_of_Shadows/zeldarevolutioncontroller.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Alastor

I'd have a family member killed and a TV broken within one week with that thing.

Posted by Fate

I'd feel more retarded holding that, actually. Good for cosplay. I wouldn't want to use it in the vicinity of people I know. :(

Posted by Bebop

You know that sword thing is a shopped image from a fan?

Posted by Alastor

What? No way. You're lying. Get out, liar.

Posted by Apathetic

This is going to be ****ing badass. They might as well put Samuel L Jackson in it with some snakes. YEAH

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Bebop: You know that sword thing is a shopped image from a fan?

I had a dream where I saw one in a store.

And I second that Samuel L. Jackson nomination. He should be a miniboss somewhere.