PS3 to win, says Analyst.

Posted by Ant

[quote=Gamespot]Analyst: PS3 to win next-gen war
The Yankee Group predicts 30 million PS3s, 27 million Xbox 360s, and 11 million Wiis sold in North America by 2011.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Aug 16, 2006 5:07 pm PT

If you're a game-industry analyst looking to get some free publicity, the easiest way seems to be to issue a provocative press release predicting the victor of the next-gen console war. Case in point: The Yankee Group, a Boston-based firm that today made a bold forecast about which of the big three console makers will come out on top.

Who's the lucky company? Despite widespread unhappiness with the PlayStation 3's high price, the Yankee Group predicts that Sony will come out on top. "Microsoft is off to a fast start, launching the Xbox 360 nearly 12 months before the PlayStation 3," the company said in a statement. "However, by the time third-generation consoles reach market maturity in 2011, the PlayStation 3 will once again be the market leader."

How badly does the firm think Sony will beat its competitors? The Yankee Group is forecasting that Sony will sell 30 million PS3s over the next five years in North America, attaining a 44 percent market share. It sees Microsoft coming in second with 27 million units, or a 40 percent market share, which it will attain by "put[ting] significant price pressure on Sony during the PS3's lifecycle." As for Nintendo, the company predicts the Wii will keep the same roughly 16 percent market share it currently holds by selling 11 million Wiis over five years.

"With a growing installed base of connected consoles, content owners are beginning to recognize the potential video game consoles offer as a distribution channel," said Michael Goodman, Yankee's senior analyst for media and entertainment strategies. "Additionally, these platforms will serve as a strong medium for advertising, validating the growing market for in-game and around game advertising."

I disagree.

Discuss.

Posted by Ant

I'm curious as to how many Xbox360's have sold so far actually.

Posted by Speedfreak

Hell, I've been right more often than analysts. Remeber what they said about DS? Asshats.

Posted by Axis

360 has sold over 5 million so far.

Posted by Klarth

I love the way he hasn't given any reasons at all. That entire article could be summarised down to "Sony wins".

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

According to that one guy I spoke to, 360s aren't selling very well.

Posted by Random

Quoting Wings: According to that one guy I spoke to, 360s aren't selling very well.

Depends where you go.. They still sell like hotcakes here.

Not to mention with more games coming out that people want, more 360's will be sold.

The PS3 may very well win, i'm not one to say for sure what will be what, but I doubt the Wii will sell that low of an amount. If Wii does finish third, it'll be very close, nipping at the heels of the other two.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Damn Yankees.

Also, woosh.

Posted by Poco

Analyst is moron, says Video Game Fans.

Posted by Arczu

Seems like a shifty angle. Even though the PS3 is that expensive, will THAT many people invest into it?

Posted by TendoAddict

Wow, I never seen some any asshats pull numbers out of their @$$ like that. Did they actually do research or did they just play pin the tale on the donkey for Numbers.

Did they even go to E3? have they even played the systems. Or are they just a bunch of moneys in suits who can watch the stock market go up and down.

Posted by s0ul

Man, the Nintendo bias here even ****es me off sometimes.

Posted by Last Fog

Um, is that the whole article? Or did I miss the part where they back up these "predictions". Honestly, where do they come up with these numbers. 27 million.. 11 million... so precise. And what are they analyzing when two of the three arent even released, theres nothing to base it off of.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Or are they just a bunch of moneys in suits who can watch the stock market go up and down.

That's exactly what they are. Most don't give a **** about games or E3 unless it directly affects their business. Their job is to evaluate and give recommendations on buying, selling, etc. It's strictly business, not "ZOMG HALO 3!!"

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Arczu]

Even IF it is stricktly business its crappy business. Even if it has nothing to do with them the predictions should be based off more then , I dunno, nothing. I dont need some one who likes video games to make perdictions just some who maybe even looked at one.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Speedfreak: First? The hell? There have been plenty of videogame-related bad investments.

Just to name a few: 64DD, Virtual Boy, Sattellaview and any post-1990 console not produced by Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]When i read about this, instead of posting about something i know nothing about like most the rest of the people here i asked myself, who is this da[COLOR="Yellow"]m[/COLOR]n Yankee Group anyways?

I did some research *gasp* and found out that it is the global leader in technology research and consulting. When it comes to their research and forecast they tend to be pretty accurate and reliable. Now that may not mean much to you, but at least you know now that these people actually know what they're talking about.

As far as the outcome of their predictions, i found an article of 2002's results. I know were not in fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king 2002, but i really, really tried looking for more recent articles, but check this out:[/COLOR]

http://www.yankeegroup.com/public/promotion/2002predictionsreview.pdf#search=%22Yankee%20Group%20accurate%20predictions%22

Posted by Poco

Quoting Klarth: Just to name a few: 64DD, Virtual Boy, Sattellaview and any post-1990 console not produced by Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega.

**** you. Turbografix had some good games on it. Then the SNES killed it. It even had a cheap CD add on.

Also, wasn't the 64DD unpopular because it was poorly made? Don't call me a moron, but that's what I heard.

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]When i read about this, instead of posting about something i know nothing about like most the rest of the people here i asked myself, who is this da[COLOR="Yellow"]m[/COLOR]n Yankee Group anyways?

I did some research *gasp* and found out that it is the global leader in technology research and consulting. When it comes to their research and forecast they tend to be pretty accurate and reliable. Now that may not mean much to you, but at least you know now that these people actually know what they're talking about.

As far as the outcome of their predictions, i found an article of 2002's results. I know were not in fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king 2002, but i really really tried looking for more recent article, but check this out:[/COLOR]

http://www.yankeegroup.com/public/promotion/2002predictionsreview.pdf#search=%22Yankee%20Group%20accurate%20predictions%22

Bollocks. From my own research, the Yankee Group have hardly ever been right about gaming-related markets. It's just so different to any other market that a lot of business-type folks get stymied by it.

Also, what the hell? 60% right is NOT a good track record. The Yankee Group is widely regarded as laughable by pretty much everyone in the media.

Posted by powerpuff

[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/ikepsawn/yay.jpg[/IMG]
60% is more than half

Posted by Anasurimbor Kellhus

Game analyst are wholly inane and simultaneously inept in the grand scheme of things, as the basis for their often arcane, and silly assumptions are lacking in anything remotely concrete or factual. For proof of this, one need not look any further than the possible information there is to go on. The only "next-generation" console that has been released as of yet is the Xbox 360, and until either the Playstation 3, or the Wii are released, along with games for them that are not quantifiable as merely speculatory, then what can the basis of their assertations be?

Sales? Public response? Marketing practices? Performance? Announced games? Speculated games? Even if these are the foundation of their arguments, utilizing these can not come to a conclusion that can be even logically considered as grounded in anything significant, regardable, relevant, or correct. If the console isn't out, then there can be no estimation of sales, console performance, or even public response seeing as how we have nothing but rhetoric, drivel, assumption, and opinion to base any statements we make in regard to the PS3 off of.

Regardless, the article itself is contradicted by the public response of the PS3post E3. The pricing has effectively ostricized the casual gaming audience, their shown games perfectly contradicted the "next generation" graphical quality expected in the E3 before last, thus disappointing fans (making the system seem like a ripoff, that is not worthy of the price); and what with the current lack of sales in regard to Blu-Ray (a format whose sales account for only 0.4% of overall disc readers), which, by the way, a very minuscule amount of gamers even remotely care about, I would have a hard time seeing the PS3 reaching this number in North America without a considerable price drop soon, something I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Sony is loath to do, both for the fact that they have this preconceived notion that they are indomitable as a company, and also, because this would significantly decrease profit per system sold, (the reason why the PSP has no perceivable price drop in the foreseeable future).

This is actually slightly more serious than it seems when you factor in the minor fact that 70% of the PS2's sold were sold after the price dropped, and not a moment sooner. It's very easy to state that the platform would not be as successful as it is right now had the price drop never happened, or occurred much later than it did, and I see no reason why this logic can't be applied to the PS3.

The report should be subsequently, and expeditiously disregarded. It's as valid as the opinions of the mainstream gaming audience, and offers even less of an argument for its basis.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Anasurimbor Kellhus: Game analyst are wholly inane and simultaneously inept in the grand scheme of things, as the basis for their often arcane, and silly assumptions are lacking in anything remotely concrete or factual. For proof of this, one need not look any further than the possible information there is to go on. The only "next-generation" console that has been released as of yet is the Xbox 360, and until either the Playstation 3, or the Wii are released, along with games for them that are not quantifiable as merely speculatory, then what can the basis of their assertations be?

Sales? Public response? Marketing practices? Performance? Announced games? Speculated games? Even if these are the foundation of their arguments, utilizing these can not come to a conclusion that can be even logically considered as grounded in anything significant, regardable, relevant, or correct. If the console isn't out, then there can be no estimation of sales, console performance, or even public response seeing as how we have nothing but rhetoric, drivel, assumption, and opinion to base any statements we make in regard to the PS3 off of.

Regardless, the article itself is contradicted by the public response of the PS3post E3. The pricing has effectively ostricized the casual gaming audience, their shown games perfectly contradicted the "next generation" graphical quality expected in the E3 before last, thus disappointing fans (making the system seem like a ripoff, that is not worthy of the price); and what with the current lack of sales in regard to Blu-Ray (a format whose sales account for only 0.4% of overall disc readers), which, by the way, a very minuscule amount of gamers even remotely care about, I would have a hard time seeing the PS3 reaching this number in North America without a considerable price drop soon, something I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Sony is loath to do, both for the fact that they have this preconceived notion that they are indomitable as a company, and also, because this would significantly decrease profit per system sold, (the reason why the PSP has no perceivable price drop in the foreseeable future).

This is actually slightly more serious than it seems when you factor in the minor fact that 70% of the PS2's sold were sold after the price dropped, and not a moment sooner. It's very easy to state that the platform would not be as successful as it is right now had the price drop never happened, or occurred much later than it did, and I see no reason why this logic can't be applied to the PS3.

The report should be subsequently, and expeditiously disregarded. It's as valid as the opinions of the mainstream gaming audience, and offers even less of an argument for its basis.

blah blah blah

You talk to many words and therefore care way too much

this just in Wii to cost 170 USD

...said [i]analysts, several days ago.

Posted by Poco

no way man my source is the GAME AGE forums. I mean that thread the kid hos dad works at nintendo and said capcom and nintendo are making a super console.

I don't care if that was a joke or not. You're never allowed to post again.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]When i read about this, instead of posting about something i know nothing about like most the rest of the people here i asked myself, who is this da[COLOR="Yellow"]m[/COLOR]n Yankee Group anyways?

As far as the outcome of their predictions, i found an article of 2002's results. I know were not in fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king 2002, but i really really tried looking for more recent article, but check this out:[/COLOR]

And?

I dont care if they tend to be be right, the whole artical was pointless.

Let me put it this way:

Lets say theres a debate about what type of food people will eat in the near futur. Jesus comes in and says they will eat sh!t even though it tastes bad. He doesnt say why people will pick it.

Now if you ask why do you really want some one to say "Pfft, he's jesus" as an answer? Nah, I bet you want a reason.

Look, I know people here seem to shoot down any PS3 news that comes by. But the artical is really just poor.

You do realise they don't just say "Hey, I think the Sony will come out on top again lol"... there's actual research and reasoning behind their decisions. Shouldn't this be really obvious?

Posted by Last Fog

Of course, but the article didn't show any of it. Thats why TendoAddict said the article is poor. Its just "here's whats gonna happen 'cause we say so".

Whatever, all I know is I won't be contributing to that top 44 percentile. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]You do realise they don't just say "Hey, I think the Sony will come out on top again lol"... there's actual research and reasoning behind their decisions. Shouldn't this be really obvious?

Yes, but it revolves around technology. They think the key to winning any console war is technology, which is total bull. They don't pay any attention to Nintendo's non-games selling millions, or Sony's small stock for launch, or developers flat-out preferring 360 and Wii development.

Or advertising, or the fact that brand loyalty is 60% of the games industry.

Posted by Speedfreak

Brand loyalty, pah. The second there was a more attractive product, Nintendo and Sony were ditched.

Other way round. Nintendo were ditched because the product they made seemed inferior. You can't look at all the fanboys in the world and tell me that brand loyalty isn't a part of the games industry.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, it's part of it, but it's not 60%. More like 10%, maximum. The vast majority of gamers are casual gamers, and don't care what they play (despite what they actually say) as long as they have fun.

Nintendo was ditched, thats what I was saying. Sony were also ditched for DS.

The whole thing about casual gamers is that they are ill-informed about consoles and therefore go with what they know. If they've had a PlayStation they're much more likely to stick with that brand, as other brands are unfamiliar. I know one person, for example, who when I showed him my DS on launch day, said 'oh yeah,the PSP is gonna be better.' I admitted yes, power-wise, fair enough. 'But the PSP will have better games,' he argued. Why, I asked.

'Because it's Sony'.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh sure, that mentality stays for a while, but it soon wears off. It's by no means an instant transition, but history has shown that it's the games that matter, not the logo. That's why PS1 won in the first place, it had the most developer support.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Speedfreak: Oh sure, that mentality stays for a while, but it soon wears off.

[COLOR="Yellow"]If that were true, Prince Shrondoroinn wouldn't still be dressing up as Link and taking pictures of himself holding a plastic master sword.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: If that were true, Prince Shrondoroinn wouldn't still be dressing up as Link and taking pictures of himself holding a plastic master sword.

Prince isn't your typical "casual gamer," is he?

Posted by Speedfreak

Coarse isn't a casual gamer, pay attention.

EDIT: Git beat me to it.

Here, Paul. Let me show you how "plastic" my Master Sword is. Just flick your finger against its blade when it protrudes from your chest.

Posted by Drewboy64

What does it take ot be a freaking analyst? Any idiot could see that prediction is total BS. It's not a matter of fanboyism in this case, it's just a matter that I know Wii won't be beating by PS3, at least not by more than 15 million.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Drewboy64: What does it take ot be a freaking analyst? Any idiot could see that prediction is total BS. It's not a matter of fanboyism in this case, it's just a matter that I know Wii won't be beating by PS3, at least not by more than 15 million.

Your baseless assumption is better than analysts' in what way, exactly?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Drewboy64: What does it take ot be a freaking analyst? [SIZE="5"]Any idiot could see that prediction is total BS[/SIZE]. It's not a matter of fanboyism in this case, it's just a matter that [SIZE="5"]I know[/SIZE] Wii won't be beating by PS3, at least not by more than 15 million.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I'm assuming you don't realize the hypocricity and irony of that statement.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: What does it take ot be a freaking analyst?

A lot more than announcing on a forum that you know something to be a more or less a "fact" when there's really not much to support such a claim.

I assume degrees in Mathematics, Business, and Theoretical Mutated Rabbit Breeding would make you a shoe-in to be an analyst, given the sort of predictions these mysterious figures have made for the video game industry over the years.

Posted by Cloudstud

Haha i think that this is going to be a fun war to observe. I honestly personally think that it will be sony in the end. But its the same thing as most of the arguments on this thread, its all about opinion. Even if your an "analyst" its still mainly opinion. No one knows how its going to turn out but its going to be quite exciting.

Posted by Random

I predict the Dreamcast will sell more Pre Owned systems then the PS3 sells new systems.

Its obviously why...

Osama Bin Ladin is still on the run...

Pluto is no longer a planet..

John Mark Karr loved Joanbennet very much..

and Hilary Clinton is still alive..

With that in mind, theres no way in hell the PS3 could possibly defeat even the Dreamcast.

Pluto's a planet again, Random. The National Aero-Space...guys, or whatever redefined the term "planet," so that just about anything with a spherical shape can technically be called one.

Posted by Random

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Pluto's a planet again, Random. The National Aero-Space...guys, or whatever redefined the term "planet," so that just about anything with a spherical shape can technically be called one.

Oh well.. I still stand firmly by my post.

Quoted post: Pluto's a planet again, Random. The National Aero-Space...guys, or whatever redefined the term "planet," so that just about anything with a spherical shape can technically be called one.

It's a dwarf planet, big difference.

Posted by Random

I shall call you.. MINI PLANET? *Points pinkie towards mouth*

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Pluto's a planet again, Random. The National Aero-Space...guys, or whatever redefined the term "planet," so that just about anything with a spherical shape can technically be called one.

No, pluto's just a dwarf planet, which doesn't count as a real planet.

I believe they prefer the term "little planet" rather than "dwarf." Try to be more sensitive.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]If that were true, Prince Shrondoroinn wouldn't still be dressing up as Link and taking pictures of himself holding a plastic master sword.[/COLOR]

Prince's sword's real. He posted pics ages ago when he first had it made.

EDIT - Oh, I guess he mentioned that. lawlz.

Indeed. 14 pounds of cold Irish steel. I've actually been putting on a bit of muscle lately since I stepped up my training with it. Had I the time, I would have auditioned for the Ren Faire this year.

Posted by Darkbackward

Nintendo fanboys > Professional analysts, every single time. :rolleyes:

Posted by Speedfreak

To be fair, I was right about DS. Every analyst who bothered to make a prediction regarding DS and PSP were completely and utterly wrong. As bizarre as it sounds, people like us who pay attention to the industry and actually enjoy games know a heck of a lot more about what will happen than some men in suits who predict technology trends.

Posted by Fate

If the Wii is supposed to be under $250, it would take about two and a half Wiis to match the purchase of one PS3. So all Sony has to do is match at least half the sales and the round is even. That doesn't even sound difficult. :/

I might buy three Wiis just to fix their little red wagon.

Posted by Fate

Sounds resentful, very unbecoming of a gamer. :|

Haha, it's not anything like that - I've just realised how bizarrely my mind works.

I'm willing to pay as much as the PS3 consts on other stuff, simply because it's an outrage that it costs that much. But I'm still spending that amount of money. :)

Posted by Fate

Haha, I see no need to wait for the PS3 when I can get the other stuff at any time! :o

Oh, I'm going to buy one. To sell it straight after.

Posted by Fate

I'm buying one to keep it! Probably not at launch, seeing as how my boyfriend is getting one, but I'll eventually own one. :)

I'll have one eventually. If I manage to sell the one I get at launch for double price, I might just buy another one then and there.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]If the Wii is supposed to be under $250, it would take about two and a half Wiis to match the purchase of one PS3. So all Sony has to do is match at least half the sales and the round is even. That doesn't even sound difficult.[/COLOR] :/

Stop, just stop, please. That's not how it works at all, youre going to injure yourself.

Posted by Fate

Do console sales really matter when it comes to who makes more money? I thought this was a business. :/

Except that making money relates to profits, not amount of money taken. Nintendo break even with every Wii sold. They may even make a profit. Sony lose money with very PS3.

Posted by Fate

Does it really cost that much to make a PS3?

Posted by Speedfreak

Blu-Ray players alone cost over a grand, and they aren't packed with RAM, a Cell or an RSX. PS3 is going to lose a lot of money, this is a garuntee.

Posted by Fate

Can you link me to this info? I haven't read too much on costs and stuff.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Princess Fate: If the Wii is supposed to be under $250, it would take about two and a half Wiis to match the purchase of one PS3. So all Sony has to do is match at least half the sales and the round is even. That doesn't even sound difficult. :/

[COLOR="Yellow"]I hate disagreeing with you, being my interweb buddy and all but that would just be a huge loss for Sony with almost no profit whatsoever. Let's talk about how awesome G[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d of War is so we can agree on something.[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

I said that not knowing how much it costs to actually make a PS3. I still don't have any linkage to official sites.

And yeah, I should play that game again. I remember the last time I played it I beat my wife and raped her.

Quoting Fate: I remember the last time I played it I beat my wife and raped her.

See? I knew you weren't really a woman.

Posted by Fate

You don't have to be a man to have a wife these days. :o