Apparently this is Microsoft's "Wii killer"

Posted by Klarth

Now, note that I'm not being disparaging - I've seen pretty amazing demos of the 360's camera attachment (namely, the one where the guy's waving his finger and the sword moves around), but this is just ridiculous.

[url=http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060818/cifaldi_03.shtml]Totem Ball video[/url]

The guy has to hold out both his arms high and wave them around in order to move, and even then he frequently collides with walls. What's more is that it's a game which could be played a LOT more easily with a simple joypad - hell, it'd probably offer actual better control, too.

They can do better than this - a LOT better. I've seen more intuitive eyetoy games than this.

Posted by Fate

I bet it's just for demonstration purposes. If you could move the sensors lower, it'd be just fine because your hands would go lower, too. I think it depends on the game.

Posted by Klarth

True. Surely any sensible game designer would have that kind of thing adjustable... What irks me, though, is that it's a game that doesn't have to nor needs that sort of gesture recognition. It just looks like an awfully generic platformer kind of thing which would be fine with a controller.

The facemapping, however, is very, VERY cool. Check the next page of the article.

Posted by Fate

As far as gesture recognition and stuff like that, the Wii controller is unnecessary by itself. It's not quite virtual reality, but it transcends a normal controller. I could play Twilight Princess just fine with or without the Wii controller because all I'm really doing is flicking my wrist. While swinging Link's sword sounds nice, I'm only actually swinging right, left, up, and down-- not in circles and combos like I would in an oh-so-distant virtual reality.

I do agree that the game looks like it doesn't warrant the gestures, but I feel the same way about Twilight Princess and the Wii controller (remote?). Of course, I'm getting Zelda on the Wii.

Posted by Klarth

I'd get the GCN version if it weren't for the fact that the Wii version was the one with widescreen and progressive scan. Whilst using the Wii remote for Zelda adds fun, using a camera for a game like Totem Ball just looks... Cumbersome. Pointless.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

At least it tracks your movement pretty well.

Posted by Random

I didn't know this was "new" news.. I could have sworn I heard about this months ago. Maybe its just me...

Posted by Klarth

Face mapping.

Posted by Axis

Can't wait to put the face mapping feature into Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Posted by Klarth

Use a dog.

Posted by Last Fog

Who said anything about a Wii killer? I dont think thats their intent. This game looks like just an experiment. Whatever, all I care is the face-mapping looks awesome.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Man, my testicles are going to be all over Live as soon as I get that camera... Oh... wait, right, Wii Killer.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I think you guys are missing the point. Sure, it'd be a lot easier with a pad, but it'd also be boring as crap. If you're waving about it makes it FUN.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

iridiot

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Wings: I think you guys are missing the point. Sure, it'd be a lot easier with a pad, but it'd also be boring as crap. If you're waving about it makes it FUN.
Thats the point. Without the camera, this game would suck. It has no substance whatsoever, and was purely made for the sake of saying "hey, look at the potential this camera has." Like Fate said, its possibly just a demonstration.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Demonstration, shmemonstration.

Skitzo Control. Testicles. All. Over. Live.