Your Local Music Scene

Posted by Shin-Ra

So what's the music in your area like? As in, what famous bands have spawned from your area, what bands are currently playing there, what kind of style is popular, how do you feel about your local scene, etc. Just have fun with this. I made a corresponding thread for this in the upload blog (follow the link: http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?p=348065#post348065) where you can upload songs and albums by bands in your area.

Anyway, the music in my area is a weird mix of the typical Whatever-Core bands (mostly straight up modern hardcore or metalcore) and Screamo stuff (though not so much); and also a lot of southern rock and Texas Country. Both are played at different venues, obviously, but I think it odd that those styles would be so popular in the same area.

Personally, I don't like Hardcore because of the lack of focus on the things I enjoy out of my music, such as: atmosphere, direction with the music (it's less of a composition and more of a bunch of different **** thrown together with breakdowns), and overall playing style differing great from what I usually hear. Still, there's a few bands who manage to grab my attention (Vertigo Sun and Dance Baby Dance for instance, both of which will be uploaded).

My main problem with the scene around here is I'm a metal vocalist and I have the hardest time finding a guitar player who's into the same stuff I am. I already know a bassist who is and I know a couple of drummers who'd love to play some straight non-core metal, so I'll probably never get anywhere unless I learn to teach myself. Another issue is, although all the bands DO compete and support each other in the scene, it is rare that a band will sound completely original, and if they do, everyone loves them.

To finish all this off, this area isn't very big (Beaumont, Port Arthur, Port Neches, Nederland, Bridge City, and a few other small towns basically acting as one small city) but we've managed to pump out a lot of bands, mainly because music is SO important down here and stressed so much.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin-Ra: My main problem with the scene around here is I'm a metal vocalist and I have the hardest time finding a guitar player who's into the same stuff I am. I already know a bassist who is and I know a couple of drummers who'd love to play some straight non-core metal, so I'll probably never get anywhere unless I learn to teach myself. Another issue is, although all the bands DO compete and support each other in the scene, it is rare that a band will sound completely original, and if they do, everyone loves them.

Even though i'm not local...

Hi there :)

Posted by Raptor

Reggae is mostly the dominant genre here. It's all some people seem to know. It's a decent genre (when played decently, which many local bands don't), but too much of it becomes rather tiresome. The east side/Hilo area seems to have a disproportionate amount of thrash metal bands, none of which I know the names of offhand (aside from Twisted Tree). The majority of local bands seem to play this incredibly mind-numbing, watered-down formulaic blend of reggae, Hawaiian, and hip-hop. Nothing I care to listen to outside of an elevator or hotel lobby.

Posted by Pit

Well, rich white yuppie neighborhood, it's actually split up into heavy mainstream rap to heavy mainstream rock music.

So you do have the white ghetto wiggers, the regular white kids that say nigga, the arabs that think they're black, and the emo kids, the skaters, and the goths.

Not too big of a metal scene here. Among the guys in the late 30's and early 40's though, yeah.

Posted by Klarth

Well, I live in Canterbury, which used to be pretty notorious for prog-rock. Now we just have some pretty crappy "indie" acts floating around town.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Hmm, well since I am in a college town, I am going to go with
the typical **** you hear in the clubs. You know, the songs
with the black people yelling 'YEAH!' and 'WHAT?'...you
understand.

However if I were to stop thinking about the college kids for a
second, seeing as how I live in the bush, I would have to say
country is a big thing around here as well....what the **** is
the world comming to?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

We've got a good collection of some Death Metal (some of them are pretty good too), Screamo, Metalcore, Emo, "Punk", and a couple rap artists here or there.

We've also got this Death-Core band which is starting to get bigger, I've known them for a while. Kontraku.

They're not the greatest, though.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Forgotten Soul: Hmm, well since I am in a college town, I am going to go with
the typical **** you hear in the clubs. You know, the songs
with the black people yelling 'YEAH!' and 'WHAT?'...you
understand.

For some reason I associated current college students with so-called "Indie" music (such an improper label). It's sort of like the modern college kid's hippie music, metal, or alternative rock (in order of decade).

Posted by WackoHater2

A lot of rock and rap from my area. A great rap band started not too far from here. They arent famous yet. Some people may have heard of them. [url]www.myspace.com/shatterdreams[/url]

Posted by Shade

There are only a few bands that come out of my town, since it's just a suburb of Detroit, but they're mostly all screamo. And if we're talking Detroit, then rap.

Posted by Ch

Here in Boston all I pretty much see is hip hop, metal, hardcore, and ska bands. I hate ska & hardcore bands.

Posted by nich

Well, the hardcore and post-hardcore scenes that spawned Alexis and bands like them has pretty well died. So now there's the acts that still think it's going on. As far as what people are listening to, all genres are pretty much covered with hardcore, "indie", and rap being most popular.

Posted by Dreadnought

These days Canterbury is nothing but boring indie, myspace bands and sh[COLOR=Black]it[/COLOR]&bass acts.

Posted by Arwon

Sydney's obviously got a pretty huge local scene since we're the biggest city in the country, and given my lack of money and lack of musically inclined friends it's a scene which I haven't sampled that extensively. There'd be a scene of just about every trend going.

There's a couple of fairly big bands to have come out of here which have a definite "Sydney" feel to them. The Whitlams and You Am I (well, the latter technically formed in Canberra) both write a lot of stuff about Sydney, and have a lot of their songs set in specific places around the place. That sort of geographic familiarity is nice, and really suits this city's enormous capacity for self-obsession and judging/stereotyping people by where they live...

Also the Dawn Collective are new and local and really good. Sorta percussion-ey and cello-ey post-rock. Then there's Decoder Ring, who, at times, sound like the future of music. So I guess we've got a bit of a ***speed/Mogwai/post-rock vibe going... it's fun.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Mighty Joe Young has a local band. He played back up with Hendrix on a few tours.

Posted by Hyper

I've just recently discovered there's some decent death metal and hardcore bands from my small town. Cool stuff.

Posted by Arwon

I'm sorry.

Oh wait, you think that's a good thing.

Carry on.

Posted by Hyper

Well, the hardcore doesn't appeal to me, but the death metal really isn't bad.

Posted by Delilah

Jazzy-rock, mostly. I'm friends with a couple of not-so-famous-but-maybe-someday bandmembers. Namely, 'Emery Park' (their lead singer), and 'Seven' (their bass). In my area, its Jazzy-rock, accoustic rock, and Latina.

Posted by Omni

My area has a lot of metal, all kinds I mean, too. We also have some alternative rock and industrial wannabes. Then we have latin music and hip hop. There's also some folk and country out there. I want to learn to play some kind of instrument, but there's not many groups in my area I'd play with.