Another win for Evolution, and Science

Posted by Aioros

http://www.projo.com/opinion/editorials/content/projo_20060818_edkans.31dd9db.html

[COLOR="Yellow"]Will this put and end to creationists and their agenda? Heck not, but at least it's comforting to see parts of the country are smacking some sense into people and not taking steps backwards by supporting "intelligent design". Sadly those who want creationism to be thought as science in schools will probably never stop, and they're actually winning in other parts of the country (and most of the world).

But as Bob Dylan best put it in the song "idiot wind", you can win the war after losing all the battles.[/COLOR]

Posted by jefferey shalome

While there is proof that jesus was in fact an actual person walking on this earth at one time or another, whether he was the son of *** or not is still kinda iffy. I believe in evolution and all, but the big bang had to come from something. I believe it has something to do with the big pimp in the sky.

Posted by keyartist

And whats the problem with creationism, the people in books who talk about evolution are allways one side... or so it seems. If you look for it in there theories they have douts in there beliefe of evolution but you'll never find it in a book. why are they hinding it. Are they afraid that people can't handle the truth?

Posted by jefferey shalome

Maybe. I find that some parts of the bible are a little off. Why would moses be talking to the burning bush? Unless it was one of those sticky icky icky bushes.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting jefferey shalome: I find that some parts of the bible are a little off. Why would moses be talking to the burning bush?

I hope you realize the ridiculousness in this statement. The Bible is based on the belief in an omnipotent ***, therefore it shouldn't be that surprising that Moses would talk to a bush that represents Him. Saying that it makes no sense is silly, because for it to make sense you would have to believe in ***, which clearly you do not.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Keyartist]And whats the problem with creationism, the people in books who talk about evolution are allways one side... or so it seems.
I think the answer in that one lies in the fact that we have tangible evidence that the Earth is over 4000 years old, the continents once existed as one great landmass and the fact that human evolution has in fact progressed very slightly since the theory was put forward. There is NO proof for creationism.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting keyartist: And whats the problem with creationism, the people in books who talk about evolution are allways one side... or so it seems. If you look for it in there theories they have douts in there beliefe of evolution but you'll never find it in a book. why are they hinding it. Are they afraid that people can't handle the truth?

[COLOR="Yellow"]What do you mean? You say that as if scientists vote on which idea they like best and go with that, it's not a democracy, that's not how science works. There have to be doubts and different views which then lead to numerous forms of testing and wide acceptance before it's even considered a theory. Believers who like to label creationism as a theory don't even really know what a theory means, it's not a guess or an idea but the complete opposite.

Did you know that the Earth revolving around the sun is also a theory? And that too is contradicted by the bible.[/COLOR]:eek:

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: I think the answer in that one lies in the fact that we have tangible evidence that the Earth is over 4000 years old, the continents once existed as one great landmass and the fact that human evolution has in fact progressed very slightly since the theory was put forward. There is NO proof for creationism.

In actual fact, if *** is omnipotent, *** could jsut create the world, in the state it would be in if it was several million years old. He just has to put all the atoms in the right places, complete with the fossilised dinosaur skeletons, by using complex calculations and a simulated model of the world to generate a 'snapshot' of the earth at a certain date, and create it.

Quoting Aioros: Did you know that the Earth revolving around the sun is also a theory? And that too is contradicted by the bible.

Proof? and anyway, the Sun does revolve around the earth, from the earth's frame of reference.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting higbvuyb: In actual fact, if *** is omnipotent, *** could jsut create the world, in the state it would be in if it was several million years old. He just has to put all the atoms in the right places, complete with the fossilised dinosaur skeletons, by using complex calculations and a simulated model of the world to generate a 'snapshot' of the earth at a certain date, and create it.

Exactly, and it's impossible to decide which theory is true based on this argument, which is why this debate will never be put to rest. Believers can believe in ***, non-believers can believe in evolution, but one will never convert the other.

Posted by Poco

You do know the catholic church acknowledges that genesis was mostly myths, right?

Written to creationist. People should at leas tknow what they are talking about before looking like morons imho.

and people who use the bible for history/science are morons, too.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting higbvuyb: In actual fact, if *** is omnipotent, *** could jsut create the world, in the state it would be in if it was several million years old. He just has to put all the atoms in the right places, complete with the fossilised dinosaur skeletons, by using complex calculations and a simulated model of the world to generate a 'snapshot' of the earth at a certain date, and create it.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Anybody can say, this is how and why i believe the world was created. But where's all the scientific proof? Because that's what it comes down to in the end, which is the most probable based on scientific proof. And creationism falls flat on it's face when it tries to explain itself using a bible. Meanwhile evolutionists (aka, real scientists) can point and dance around all the evidence including hundreds of years of geological, biological and astronomcal research plus enough fossil evidence to support the theory of the so called missing link.[/COLOR]

Quoting higbvuyb: Proof? and anyway, the Sun does revolve around the earth, from the earth's frame of reference.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Proof of the bible contradicting the theory? Ok:

Ecclesiastes 1:4 and 5: One generation goeth, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth for ever. The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to its place where it ariseth.

Psalms 92: "He has made the world firm, not to be moved."
Psalms 103: "You fixed the earth upon its foundation, not to be moved forever."

Then there's Joshua 10:12: "Then spake Joshua to Jehovah in the day when Jehovah delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel; and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon."

It can't get any more clearer than that. Back in 1600 when Galileo was advancing the theory that the Earth revolved around the sun, the catholic church would use such passages as proof that it couldnt be true. In 1616 Pope Paul V determined that this theory was "foolish and absurd philosophically and formally heretical inasmuch as it expressly contradicts the doctrine of Holy Scripture in many passages." In other words, forget science, G[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d said so.[/COLOR]

Posted by Gollum

Not trying to act like an expert, or a dork, but I'd like to point out that there are many cases in which the meaning of language can change and distort the meaning of something. For instance, a few decades ago, being "gay" had a whole other meaning than it does today, and we're talking about a few milleniums here.

[quote=Aioros]
But where's all the scientific proof?

I'd also like to mention that not everybody needs scientific proof to believe in something. Many people would choose their faith over scientific proof any day, and I think you'll have a very hard time converting believers into evolutionists.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Irrelevant: I'd also like to mention that not everybody needs scientific proof to believe in something.

[COLOR="Yellow"]If they want to put creationism in public schools then they better have the scientific proof to back it up. Otherwise, keep it in your church.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

It seems this thread has turned into a 'does *** exist' thread. Amirite?

In any case intelligent design shouldnt be taught as a science. Because it isnt. Its as simple as thay.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Bebop: It seems this thread has turned into a 'does *** exist' thread. Amirite?
it always does....

[quote]In any case intelligent design shouldnt be taught as a science. Because it isnt. Its as simple as thay.

exactly. if they want to teach it as part of a religious studies class, then fine. but you can't try to pass it off as actual science without any scientific evidence to back up your claims.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting NES Queen: but you can't try to pass it off as actual science without any scientific evidence to back up your claims.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Except for [/COLOR][URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=kF3L359yKjs"]bananas.[/URL] :D

Posted by GameMiestro

"Science" is a set of theorems based of a set of postulates in a logical way. The postulates are set in stone- if we can't see it, smell it, hear it, feel it, or taste it, and if we can't logically prove with near certainty that it HAS to exist with evidence from things we can sense (for example- black holes), it doesn't exist. *** doesn't exist in science. Simple. There's no hidden agendas, no opininated atheists destroying the education system, no communist philosophy poisoning America.

Religion, however, works similarly to science- it has a set of postulates and several theorems based off of it. It's postulates are more like this- If it's in the Bible (Christianity specifically mentioned here), it exists. This can be useful too, but it isn't science.

Posted by Arwon

Random question, maybe to steer this in a new direction:

Why is it that evolution is still so controversial in America? Why is it that among developed countries, the US is the only country where a significant cross-section of mainstream opinion actually believes in creationism? It honestly baffles me that this is still an issue in the 21st century.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Except for [/COLOR][URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=kF3L359yKjs"]bananas.[/URL] :D

OH SHI- WAY TO DESTROY ***!

Posted by specopssv44

It is my opinion that evolution is a part of a religion in itself. There is no undenyable, concrete evidence supporting evolution. The idea of evolution is kept alive by peoples belief in it and faith in science. BELIEF and FAITH = Religion. Why not give intellegent design a chance? Afraid it might make more sense to people than evolution? Where is the equality? I guess that whole idea of equality only applies when a liberal ideal is at stake.

Posted by NES Queen

There IS undeniable concrete evidence supporting evolution. I've posted countless links to articles discussing transitional forms, antibiotic resistant bacteria, and genetic mapping of advantageous traits in the previous 3 threads discussing this topic.

Just a question for those who do believe in "intelligent design": ....certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.
Then how does this supposed higher being explain creating mutations in species that are not advantageous, which eventually cause the species to die off? Did he just get sick of seeing the Dodo bird walking around and decided he no longer wanted it living within his universe, or did he just **** up and think he was making an intelligent change that actually ended up doing more harm than good?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"]Anybody can say, this is how and why i believe the world was created. But where's all the scientific proof? Because that's what it comes down to in the end, which is the most probable based on scientific proof. And creationism falls flat on it's face when it tries to explain itself using a bible. Meanwhile evolutionists (aka, real scientists) can point and dance around all the evidence including hundreds of years of geological, biological and astronomcal research plus enough fossil evidence to support the theory of the so called missing link.[/COLOR]
No, arguments are won on their logical correctness, and the problem with debating religion is that you can't disprove that *** created the universe.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Proof of the bible contradicting the theory? Ok:

[QUOTE]Ecclesiastes 1:4 and 5: One generation goeth, and another generation cometh:
THat's from the Earth's point of view.

And metaphors, relativity, etc.

[quote]It can't get any more clearer than that. Back in 1600 when Galileo was advancing the theory that the Earth revolved around the sun, the catholic church would use such passages as proof that it couldnt be true. In 1616 Pope Paul V determined that this theory was "foolish and absurd philosophically and formally heretical inasmuch as it expressly contradicts the doctrine of Holy Scripture in many passages." In other words, forget science, G[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d said so.[/COLOR]

You can interpret the bible in different ways.

You can't disprove evolution, when it's happening on Earth, right now. However, you can't prove that *** didn't do what I said before, i.e., create the world at the state it would be in had it been created according to science.

Posted by keyartist

I know its hard to throw out scientific data but this is a true fact theorys change when a mind is behind it. What I mean is if something just happens and we find out how it did then we log it right, but its a lot harder to figure out if there is "Someone" or something behind it, and in that case everything we knew about what we loged changes.

Posted by keyartist

Quoting NES Queen: There IS undeniable concrete evidence supporting evolution. I've posted countless links to articles discussing transitional forms, antibiotic resistant bacteria, and genetic mapping of advantageous traits in the previous 3 threads discussing this topic.

Just a question for those who do believe in "intelligent design": ....certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.
Then how does this supposed higher being explain creating mutations in species that are not advantageous, which eventually cause the species to die off? Did he just get sick of seeing the Dodo bird walking around and decided he no longer wanted it living within his universe, or did he just **** up and think he was making an intelligent change that actually ended up doing more harm than good?

But the dodo didn't just die off, man was the cause of it extention. Man is at falt for the earths decline. Man is at fault that we sin and die.

Posted by specopssv44

Hey NES if there was in fact any undenyable concrete evedince why does the Scientific community itself still call evolution a theory? Its called a theory because it hasnt been provent beyond any reasonable doubt yet. Im sure some minor scientific coincidence is enough to validate it for you, but that doesnt make it fact. So basically you BELIEVE in a theory that still exists only because other people believe in it too. Kinda of like religion, it exists because people still believe in it. SO if both creation ideas are technically faith based then why not teach them both?

Posted by The Judge

Because not all religions believ in intelligent design, and due to the first amendment we can't teach the teachings of a specific religion to the general public.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting specopssv44: Hey NES if there was in fact any undenyable concrete evedince why does the Scientific community itself still call evolution a theory? Its called a theory because it hasnt been provent beyond any reasonable doubt yet. Im sure some minor scientific coincidence is enough to validate it for you, but that doesnt make it fact. So basically you BELIEVE in a theory that still exists only because other people believe in it too. Kinda of like religion, it exists because people still believe in it. SO if both creation ideas are technically faith based then why not teach them both?

Atomic THEORY is also a theory, but you can build bombs and make predictions with it, so its used. just because something hasnt been 100% proven doesnt mean that its not true. In fact, very few things at all are 100% proven. Thats what science is about: the quest for knowlegde. Religion is the only thing retarded enough to throw its hands up and say "nah its cool man, I already know everyything there is to know LOL"

Posted by Aioros

Quoting specopssv44: It is my opinion that evolution is a part of a religion in itself. There is no undenyable, concrete evidence supporting evolution. The idea of evolution is kept alive by peoples belief in it and faith in science. BELIEF and FAITH = Religion. Why not give intellegent design a chance? Afraid it might make more sense to people than evolution? Where is the equality? I guess that whole idea of equality only applies when a liberal ideal is at stake.

[COLOR="Yellow"]There are many things wrong with that statement. First of all there is plenty of evidence to support evolution, either you haven't kept up with the scientific reasearch or you don't want to find out anything that might shake up your world view. Second of all, let me make this as clear as possible, EVOLUTION IS NOT A RELIGION, IT'S SCIENCE! Evolution is kept alive by evidence, debate and testing, not by faith and belief which are 2 things that have nothing to do with science. Whether creationism or "intelligent design" makes sense to you or you think it's just f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]cking crazy doesn't matter, IT'S JUST NOT SCIENCE! And as such, it has not place in a science class.[/COLOR]

Posted by Arwon

If you get rid of evolution, modern biology pretty much collapses, including genetics and medicine. Effectively, 150 years of modern science's further building on the underpinnings of evolution demonstrate that it is pretty much true. You might as well disbelieve the theory of gravity or atomic theory.

That's the problem with this "debate" -- it's not a fair matchup of two ideas with compelling arguments and good research and stuff. It's one side which is clearly right and the other side who basically consist of a bunch of uneducated Americans and a few copycat religious kooks in other countries, who for some baffling reason think this aspect of basic modern science is an affront to their world view or makes Jesus cry or something. Normally I'm all for recognising that the side of a debate I don't believe in simply has different philosophical underpinnings and is coming from a different place and therefore has different conclusions and such (most of politics is like that)... but in the case of this "debate", no, the kooks are simply arguing from ignorance and are clearly and demonstrably wrong.

I wonder if the Jews or Muslims have this problem.

Posted by mis0

The only evolution I really go for is made by Mitsubishi. This is not to say that I buy into all creationism either, but it is the way I tend to lean. (btw - I totally believe that micro evolution occurs all the time - because it is plainly seen. Macro evolution is what I tend to disagree with.) I really think that people should be exposed to all theories and beliefs there are in the public education system in both the interests of balance and understanding in our modern world. Understanding, even if you don't agree with what others believe, would make the world a much more elightened one in which to live.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting specopssv44: Hey NES if there was in fact any undenyable concrete evedince why does the Scientific community itself still call evolution a theory? Its called a theory because it hasnt been provent beyond any reasonable doubt yet. Im sure some minor scientific coincidence is enough to validate it for you, but that doesnt make it fact. So basically you BELIEVE in a theory that still exists only because other people believe in it too. Kinda of like religion, it exists because people still believe in it. SO if both creation ideas are technically faith based then why not teach them both?

So are you arguing about the truth and credibility of the theory of gravity, or the theory of relativity, simply because they havn't reached the credance of scientific law?

Minor scientific coincidence? I suggest you read up on [URL="http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA202.html"]this[/URL] article. It highlights some of the major significant signs that organisms changed and mutated (ie. evolved) over the course of time. Each one of the points that this person brings up can be, and has been, discussed in great lengths with scientific testing or findings to support it.

And the theory of evolution doesn't still exist simply because people believe in it (unlike religion based theories). It exists because as our technology and knowledge expands, we are developing new ways to explore, research, and perform experiments to support the claims within the theory. Fifty years ago we didn't have the capabilities to understand the human genome and be able to trace specific gene sequences back through countless generations in order to identify when a mutation occurred. Once you identify when the mutation occurred, you can compare it to other events occurring at that time to try and understand why a certain genetic mutation was advantageous for a species.

Do a basic PubMed search on "evolution". It will return over 9,000 different pages worth of journal articles (from reputable scientific journals, as opposed to doing a google search that will bring up ma/pa's personal website with their personal and often misinformed opinion in full effect). Do the same search on "creationism" and you get 3 pages, most of which attempt to debunk it and not actually support it.

If proponents of creationism want it to be treated as a science equally alongside the scientific theory of evolution, they need to treat as a science themselves. Science is about coming up with an idea, or theory, that explains why certain things are the way they are, and then performing tests and experiments in an attempt to prove their theory. Creationists certainly have a lovely story and idea as to what happened/happens, but there is no testing or support of ANY kind to back up their own personal claims. That is where they fail at proving it should be considered as an alternative to our traditional scientific teachings.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

[quote=Poco]and people who use the bible for history/science are morons, too

Actually, a great deal of the stories can be corroborated. Like stories of King Solomon and so forth.

[quote=Klarth]There is NO proof for creationism.

This is certainly a true statement. You see, that's the idea of Faith at work. If you want to be a Christian, that's fine. You've just got to remember that the reason you believe what you do is not because there's proof. If there were proof, it would be the normal and commonly accepted idea. Because there is no proof, you have to have faith.

If G*d is there and the Christians have been correct, I'd imagine G*d would be mighty p*ssed at you all for not having faith enough to believe without proof.

Onto the topic at hand.

I feel that Creationism, or "Intelligent Design", as they now call it, is a religious concept, requiring faith and ignorance of facts. I'm not saying that in a bad way; honestly, if you want to believe in "Intelligent Design", that does mean that you have to ignore a lot of facts of which we know are fairly certain. And that's okay with me. If you personally choose to ignore facts in favor of faith, that's alright. There is no problem with that. You, as an individual, are free to do that.

However, that is not science. Science involves having a question, finding out what others have learned about your question, taking a good guess at an answer, setting up several experiments to disprove your answer, and if you can't disprove it, you can call that a credible theory. Science DOES NOT involve believing what you read out of ancient texts that were written at a time when we didn't have sufficient information to answer many of life's questions.

[quote=Aioros] Back in 1600 when Galileo was advancing the theory that the Earth revolved around the sun, the catholic church would use such passages as proof that it couldnt be true. In 1616 Pope Paul V determined that this theory was "foolish and absurd philosophically and formally heretical inasmuch as it expressly contradicts the doctrine of Holy Scripture in many passages." In other words, forget science, *** said so.

And now, we are certain that the Earth does revolve around the Sun.

My thought is that within a few hundred years, the human race will realize how absurd and ridiculous the concept of intelligent design is, and we can move forward, just as we have with the previous issue of the Earth's place in the universe.

[quote=Hig] However, you can't prove that *** didn't do what I said before, i.e., create the world at the state it would be in had it been created according to science.

Okay, Hig, you know I love you right? Okay, having said that, you need to realize that you're statement is logically correct. However, we live in a world where that just doesn't work all the time. Take Communism for example. Great idea on paper, really it is. But when put into practice, it just never pans out, and probably never will, at least, not on large scale.

What I mean is that you can go on all day about what we can't disprove. But if you want to be credible, you're gonna have to stay within that undefined realm of reason. I could theorize that none of you exist and that I'm actually dreaming all of this up and that I will wake up one day and realize that I'm actually a 64 year old woman named Thelma who lives in rural Wisconsin.

That could potentially be true. It's unlikely, but not impossible. So for now, I'll go off the assumption that I'm a 21 year old guy named Anthony who lives in Prescott, Arizona. It may be an incorrect assumption, but for now, it's the most logical one that I can operate off of.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: So are you arguing about the truth and credibility of the theory of gravity, or the theory of relativity, simply because they havn't reached the credance of scientific law?

Ive got a relativity theory for you. How are either of those examples RELATIVE to evolution? Neither of those scientific theories attempts to discredit a religious belief system.

Im not saying that any specific reigious intellegent design course should be taught. It is my personal belief that evolution is bullsh it, and offensive. So my only option in class was just to get up and walk out. Clearly my religious rights should have been observed and another option should be provided.
Wheres the ACLU protection? Oh yeah I forgot, they support everyone but christians.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't have a problem with schools teaching creationism. Schools already teach ALL KINDS of stupid s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it. Teaching it as a science, however, p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]sses me off.

[quote=NES Queen]So are you arguing about the truth and credibility of the theory of gravity, or the theory of relativity, simply because they havn't reached the credance of scientific law?

As far as I know, theories don't become laws. Laws are explanations of single simple mechanics, and theories are explanations of many mechanics. If a theory is proven 100% right it's still a theory, and likewise a law can be proven wrong and still be a law.

[quote=specopssv44]Ive got a relativity theory for you. How are either of those examples RELATIVE to evolution? Neither of those scientific theories attempts to discredit a religious belief system.

Im not saying that any specific reigious intellegent design course should be taught. It is my personal belief that evolution is bullsh it, and offensive. So my only option in class was just to get up and walk out. Clearly my religious rights should have been observed and another option should be provided.
Wheres the ACLU protection? Oh yeah I forgot, they support everyone but christians.

No science attempts to discredit religion. Science simply doesn't give a flying fuck about religion, it's got its own thing going on: figuring out how the world works. Religion doesn't state laws of physics, chemistry or biology that can be disproven, only events that clearly weren't meant to be taken literally in the first place.

Complaining about not being protected just shows your ignorance. Science itself protects you, if you think it's bullshit and you have some decent evidence and reasoning to put a point forward then you can. Religion won't let you do that, with religion you are either correct or a heretic. Saying you want protection from science is literally saying you want protection from knowledge, reason and freedom of ideas. Think about that.

Evolution doesn't necessarily discredit any religion anyway, there are plenty of scientists and evolutionary theorists that are religious, including Charles Darwin.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting specopssv44: Ive got a relativity theory for you. How are either of those examples RELATIVE to evolution? Neither of those scientific theories attempts to discredit a religious belief system.
They were both examples of scientific theories that even you most likely agree with (I'm assuming) and believe to be true, despite the fact that they are still "just a theory". You were saying that since evolution is "just a theory" we shouldn't believe it to be true because there isn't enough proof that it's valid. I was merely pointing out that there are tons of other things in life that technically are also "just theories" yet the masses believe them. So why is it any different from evolution?

[quote]Im not saying that any specific reigious intellegent design course should be taught. It is my personal belief that evolution is bullsh it, and offensive.
and it is MY personal belief that all forms of organized religion is bullshlt and offensive. I don't want your religious poo in my academic setting. If I want to hear about g0d, creationism, intelligent design, noah and his little orgest infested ark, i'll step foot inside of a church.

[quote]So my only option in class was just to get up and walk out. Clearly my religious rights should have been observed and another option should be provided. Wheres the ACLU protection? Oh yeah I forgot, they support everyone but christians.

If you were attending a religious based private school, by all means you are correct. If you're attending a public school, absolutely not. With the exception of privately funded schools where they can do essentially whatever they want, religion and academics are two separate and different things and should be kept as such. Maybe that's the whole point you keep missing, "intelligent design" or creationism is a religious based doctrine. Aside from a Religious Studies type of coure, it should not be mentioned or discussed in an academic setting. Religion and science are two completely different and unrelated things. It's like trying to teach underwater basket weaving in a quantum physics class.

Posted by higbvuyb

It looks like the earth and all it's animals, Raptor, and humans were formed by logical scientific processes like evolution. If G*d created the universe, G*d would have made it in a state that looks logical, like this because it's logical, and if it wasn't logical, there would be some sort of logical problem, and people's heads would explode trying to understand it.
Plus, it give people an alternative to believe in.

Evolution, etc, are thought to be true because they're logical. If G*d had created a universe where this wasn't logical, the universe tiself wouldn't be logical.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Thats all well and good, but it means nothing. Just because you can make **** up that explains everything doesnt make it true. Science can be tested and falsified. Religion cannot. They are entirely different animals meant to do entirely different things. To attempt to teach them in the same class is pointless.

Posted by Bebop

The guy behind the big bang theory was a catholic priest.

Internet is over. Everyone go home.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting higbvuyb: It looks like the earth and all it's animals, Raptor, and humans were formed by logical scientific processes like evolution. If G*d created the universe, G*d would have made it in a state that looks logical, like this because it's logical, and if it wasn't logical, there would be some sort of logical problem, and people's heads would explode trying to understand it.
Plus, it give people an alternative to believe in.

Evolution, etc, are thought to be true because they're logical. If G*d had created a universe where this wasn't logical, the universe tiself wouldn't be logical.

MMkay, I know what you're saying, man. Really. You're saying that perhaps G*d did create the world 6000 years ago. Perhaps he created it with the Grand Canyon already carved out, even though it naturally would've taken millions of years.

So what if G*d created the world yesterday? What if all the memories that you have from before yesterday are all just images that G*d has projected into your head to make it seem like you had been around for a few years, when really, He just made you yesterday?

You see, the thing is, you can go in circles for an indefinite period of time with the "what if"s. You are right. We can't prove/disprove the creationist theory because it centers around a supernatural entity that allegedly can do ANYTHING, including changing physical laws and defying the few things we know to be true. No matter what evidence a scientist brings forward, a creationist will always be able to say "G*d could have done that." and the creationist will be right. Yes, sure, G*d could've done that. But that is not Science. That has NO PLACE in a science environment. If you want to support the idea that overlooking evidence and fact is okay, that's alright with me. People are allowed to do that, if they choose. However, IT IS NOT SCIENCE.

Posted by Gollum

Whoa, has this whole thing been about teaching creationism in science class? I thought you guys were talking about creationism vs. evolution.

In which case, I have to point out that we're taught about creation in religeon class in every school I've ever heard of in Canada, not science class. It must be different in the US.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Brandon Heat: Copernicus was the one who tried advancing that theory, not Galileo

[COLOR="Yellow"]Copernicus had been advancing them for several years and some thinkers a millineum prior had speculated as much. But Galileo was the man who put his theories into an argument against the church of his day.:p: [/COLOR]

Posted by Arwon

I'm pretty sure the Chinese worked it out long before Europeans did, too.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]You know, there's this group of people called [URL="http://www.rael.org/"]Raelians[/URL] who agree with the concept of creationism and intelligent design, with one minor difference. They believe it was space aliens who created the Earth, not G[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d. I've mentioned them to a couple of my religious friends, and it was funny to see how they rolled their eyes and patronize these people who they think are crazy, yet they believe the exact same thing creationists do.

So i'll ask the same thing to the people here who believe in creationism. What do you think of these people? I mean, what do you REALLY think of these people? And please, be honest.[/COLOR]

Posted by Gollum

I think that even though their beliefs are different than mine, that doesn't make them wrong, and it doesn't matter what other religeons think, if you have faith in your own, you're all set.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I figure, if you're going to believe in a transcendent being capable of doing everything from controlling the weather to building an entire world, aliens aren't that far-fetched. Where do you draw the line of absurdity?

Posted by Bebop

OMG XENU IS OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Arwon you're always huggin on some Asiatic genitals aren't you, ya big . . . ballsack hugger.

Am I the only person who doesn't care? I mean, honestly? Where's the beloved apathy of **** that doesn't concern us? Why don't people not give a **** anymore? Really? Yay Kansas. If I ever move there, I'll be happy to have read this article. Otherwise, I'd rather stare at my huge nuts than read some crap about some school in bum**** nowhere and their bum**** agenda. Give me a call when some Supreme Court rulings start coming up and I'll care. This isn't a "win" for science, you tards. Science isn't taking up some mantle and charging forward in glory screaming the name of your Lord, Baron Isaac Newton. Quit acting like something unimportant like this is going to affect the world, because it's not. I see science as more than just proving Christianity wrong. I see the two working together to explain the unexplainable. If you people want your opinions to be taken seriously, A- respect the opinions of others, including creationalists (because, believe it or not, there are creationalists who are more intelligent than you (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743286391/102-5485692-7178519?v=glance&n=283155)
so get off your high horses and be that open-minded, tolerant person you PRETEND to be (*******s). I myself don't know anymore what I believe. That's why I didn't get involved in this argument until now. I didn't care, and I didn't have an answer. But I'm sure as hell tired of all the people badmouthing an entire group of people because they don't agree with them. Notice I don't pick fights with Arwon. Know why? Because he and I disagree on everything, yet he doesn't talk down to me, nor does he completely rule out other people's opinions. He actually considers them in entirety beforehand, which makes it VERY difficult to argue with him. That and he's hawt. Take notes, kiddies. And B- lick my balls

thank you for your time
Jeremy

Posted by Gollum

I have so much respect for you now. Thank god.

Posted by maian

....I believe in creationism through evolution.

Is that a bad thing? :(

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: But I'm sure as hell tired of all the people badmouthing an entire group of people because they don't agree with them.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Call me crazy but i believe you were badmouthing an entire community that you don't agree with, here:[/COLOR]

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Yay Kansas. If I ever move there, I'll be happy to have read this article. Otherwise, I'd rather stare at my huge nuts than read some crap about some school in bum**** nowhere and their bum**** agenda.

[COLOR="Yellow"]A state choosing not to misplace religion in schools in my opinion is a sign that science isn't being overlooked everywhere. You're right, science isn't about proving Christianity wrong, it isn't even really about satisfaction, it's about the truth.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Call me crazy but i believe you were badmouthing an entire community that you don't agree with, here:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]A state choosing not to misplace religion in schools in my opinion is a sign that science isn't being overlooked everywhere. You're right, science isn't about proving Christianity wrong, it isn't even really about satisfaction, it's about the truth.[/COLOR]

A- you're crazy. Well, stupid. I believe in evolution. But I'm not going to write off religious ideals of creationalism as idiotic either, because they're on equal footing with evolutionists as far as I'm concerned. I am badmouthing a community. I'm badmouthing a community of closed-minded asshats who accuse other people of being closed-minded. LoS, you have some growing up to do. You're the primary asshat with your "religion is stupid enough to blah blah blah I carry on insulting everyone etc." The rest of you are just writing off creationalists as being idiots or "kooks" without even attempting to look at their viewpoint. That book I posted, which is a best seller now, I ordered it two days ago. I can't wait to get it, because I want to see what an educated SCIENTIST has to say about it, as opposed to a bunch of kids (and NES Queen, who is educated in the field, in her own right) on this board have to say. Until all of you "creationalists are morons" people read that book, and find valid reasons to call him, a SCIENTIST who disagrees with you, an idiot, I couldn't give two squirts of **** what you have to say. From one evolutionist to another, you need to ****ing grow up.

According to the STELLAR examples set by you kiddies, science IS about proving Christianity wrong. Additionally. . . "it's about the truth." Oh? Really? So you think Creationalists think they're lying? You moron. Creationalists think that their theory is JUST as true as yours. Theology is as much pursuit of the truth as science, philosophy, and the ninja freakin turtles. Get off your high horse and quit putting that ghey spin on it like you're the noble knight of science, armed with your pen of justice and sodomy. It wont' work on me.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: A- you're crazy. Well, stupid. I believe in evolution. But I'm not going to write off religious ideals of creationalism as idiotic either, because they're on equal footing with evolutionists as far as I'm concerned. I am badmouthing a community. I'm badmouthing a community of closed-minded asshats who accuse other people of being closed-minded. LoS, you have some growing up to do. You're the primary asshat with your "religion is stupid enough to blah blah blah I carry on insulting everyone etc." The rest of you are just writing off creationalists as being idiots or "kooks" without even attempting to look at their viewpoint. That book I posted, which is a best seller now, I ordered it two days ago. I can't wait to get it, because I want to see what an educated SCIENTIST has to say about it, as opposed to a bunch of kids (and NES Queen, who is educated in the field, in her own right) on this board have to say. Until all of you "creationalists are morons" people read that book, and find valid reasons to call him, a SCIENTIST who disagrees with you, an idiot, I couldn't give two squirts of **** what you have to say. From one evolutionist to another, you need to ****ing grow up.

According to the STELLAR examples set by you kiddies, science IS about proving Christianity wrong. Additionally. . . "it's about the truth." Oh? Really? So you think Creationalists think they're lying? You moron. Creationalists think that their theory is JUST as true as yours. Theology is as much pursuit of the truth as science, philosophy, and the ninja freakin turtles. Get off your high horse and quit putting that ghey spin on it like you're the noble knight of science, armed with your pen of justice and sodomy. It wont' work on me.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Kiddies huh. We must be stupid because we're younger than you, great point. They're equal in the way that evolution has plenty of evidence and proof while creationism doesn't? Another great point!

Since i was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for a pretty big portion of my life i'd say i have pretty good g[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d[COLOR="Yellow"]d[/COLOR]amn idea of the Creationist's point of view. It probably did seem like i was badmouthing creationist themselves, although some of them do sound fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king crazy. I don't think of Creationists as morons or idiots of any kind, they just believe something they're very passionate about. I do think however that Creationism is stupid, better yet i think it's ridiculous since it's based off a fictional book written by men.

About that book you posted. I am very interested in reading it because it's supposed to contain a scientist's point of view which i assume contains plenty of valid scientific evidence that the Earth was created in 7 days. So far the best proof i've seen presented has been really, really unimpressing. And since you're going to read the book before i do, please post what evidence is talked about so we can discuss. We don't have to be scientists to post our opinions on a subject that for all you know, we may be very educated on. So unless you yourself have the single evidence that can inevitably and infallibly discredit our opinions, you need to let us express our views and just SHUT THE F[COLOR="Yellow"]U[/COLOR]CK UP!

I know they think their theory is just as true as evolutionists, stop telling us things we already fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king know. Rather than evidence, Creationists mostly require belief to determine their truth unlike Evolutionists who require evidence to determine what is true to them. Scientific truth is what i was talking about, dip[COLOR="Yellow"]s[/COLOR]hit.

By the way, my high horse ain't as high as your ego.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Kiddies huh. We must be stupid because we're younger than you, great point. They're equal in the way that evolution has plenty of evidence and proof while creationism doesn't? Another great point![/color]

No, you're stupid because you're stupid. There's a difference. Obviously you haven't been able to adapt to your surroundings as well as I, and, quoting your beloved science, I shall take up the banner of Darwin and say that you are inferior to me and I can therefore mock you mercilessly, you lower rung of every chain imaginable.
[QUOTE=Aioros][COLOR="Yellow"]
Since i was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for a pretty big portion of my life i'd say i have pretty good g[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d[COLOR="Yellow"]d[/COLOR]amn idea of the creationist's point of view. It probably did seem like i was badmouthing creationist themselves, although some of them do sound fu[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]king crazy. I don't think of Creationists as morons or idiots of any kind. I do think however that creationism is stupid, better yet i think it's ridiculous because it's based off a book that was obviously written by men. fair enough
About that book you posted. I am very interested in reading it because it's supposed to contain a scientist's point of view which i assume contains plenty of valid scientific evidence that the Earth was created in 7 days. So far the best proof i've seen presented has been really really unimpressing. And since you're going to read the book before i do, please post what evidence is talked about so we can discuss. We don't have to be scientists to post our opinions on a subject that for all you know, we may be very educated on. So unless you yourself have the single evidence that can inevitably and infallibly discredit our opinions, you need to let us express our views and just shut the f[COLOR="Yellow"]u[/COLOR]ck up! Hey *******, my conflict isn't with evolution in general, it's with the way in which you are badmouthing those who don't believe in evolution. Are you as stupid as I joked about, or illiterate? I didn't badmouth evolution in general, so why are you trying to argue it with me? I'm not trying to discredit your opinion on evolution, I'm discrediting your intolerance and closed-mindedness and childish insulting in regards to creationalists. So, my good censor-dodging pre-pubescent (at least mentally) friend, I think that you need to get back on topic, ADHD permitting, or shut the fu[COLOR="white"][/color]ck up. You're so below me on the intellectual ladder you can't even figure out what we're arguing about. Stick with your squirtle vs charmander arguments, kid.
I know they think their theory is just as true as evolutionists, stop telling us things we already fu[COLOR="white"]c[/COLOR]king know. Rather than evidence, Creationists mostly require belief to determine their truth unlike Evolutionists who require evidence to determine what is true to them. Scientific truth is what i was talking about, dip[COLOR="Yellow"]s[/COLOR]hit. I was pointing out how you were putting spin on it, stating that science is pursuit of the truth. Theologians and Philosophers and Ninja Turtles advocates state the same thing. You're no different than they are. You're the bill O'Reilly of. . . homosexual atheists. That is my point. You think you are pursuing the truth, and so do they. I'm just letting you know in no uncertain terms that I realize and acknowledge this. "Scientific truth" is monotonous, as[COLOR="white"]s[/COLOR]hole, seeing as how you think science is pursuit of the truth. You're not very tolerant,are you? What's it like being a bigot?
By the way, my high horse ain't as high as your ego.[/COLOR]

you say that like I should be ashamed of it. Get to the back of the bus.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: No, you're stupid because you're stupid. There's a difference. Obviously you haven't been able to adapt to your surroundings as well as I, and, quoting your beloved science, I shall take up the banner of Darwin and say that you are inferior to me and I can therefore mock you mercilessly, you lower rung of every chain imaginable.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Whatever turns you on i guess. If it makes you feel better to think you are better than me then go ahead. I can't change the way you think about yourself.[/COLOR]

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Hey *******, my conflict isn't with evolution in general, it's with the way in which you are badmouthing those who don't believe in evolution. Are you as stupid as I joked about, or illiterate? I didn't badmouth evolution in general, so why are you trying to argue it with me? I'm not trying to discredit your opinion on evolution, I'm discrediting your intolerance and closed-mindedness and childish insulting in regards to creationalists. So, my good censor-dodging pre-pubescent (at least mentally) friend, I think that you need to get back on topic, ADHD permitting, or shut the fu[COLOR="white"][/color]ck up. You're so below me on the intellectual ladder you can't even figure out what we're arguing about. Stick with your squirtle vs charmander arguments, kid.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I already explained this to you grandpa, i'm badmouthing Creationism, not those who believe in it. Did you forget already? It must be the old timers taking effect. The topic was originally about Creationism being misplaced in schools, everyone's pretty much off-topic at this point. Either you didn't read the whole thread from the beginning or you're forgetting, time to take your pills old man. I'm done with the the old people bashing, it's not cool to make fun of senior citizens[/COLOR]

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I was pointing out how you were putting spin on it, stating that science is pursuit of the truth. Theologians and Philosophers and Ninja Turtles advocates state the same thing. You're no different than they are. You're the bill O'Reilly of. . . homosexual atheists. That is my point. You think you are pursuing the truth, and so do they. I'm just letting you know in no uncertain terms that I realize and acknowledge this. "Scientific truth" is monotonous, as[COLOR="white"]s[/COLOR]hole, seeing as how you think science is pursuit of the truth. You're not very tolerant,are you? What's it like being a bigot?

[COLOR="Yellow"]Despite what Finding Neverland taught you, believing really hard in something doesn't make it true. I'm extremely tolerant of everyone's opinions, that's why i express mine all the time and hear what others have to say. And you've got to be kidding about Science being monotonous, if not, please explain why.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]I have personal reasons to be a true to heart skeptic, and it's too painful to talk about it on some message board, so i won't. Experiencing first hand the tragedy that religion can bestow on the gullible was more than enough for me to fight what in my opinion are all kinds of bull[COLOR="Yellow"]s[/COLOR]hit that exists in our world today. I tend to use foul language only when i discuss something i really, truly disagree with because it gets the attention. It doesn't mean the point i'm trying to make loses it's validility because i say someone is a dic[COLOR="Yellow"]k[/COLOR]weed rather than someone is a liar. The message is the message.[/COLOR]

Posted by NES Queen

[quote=BJ]as opposed to a bunch of kids (and NES Queen, who is educated in the field, in her own right) on this board have to say.
Thanks for not lumping me in with the 'tards ;)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone will feel that theirs is the best or most correct. If someone wants to believe that aliens created all in our existance, or the reason why the human appendix no longer serves a function and some people are being born without one (it is believed that it once aided in digestion, but due to changes in the human diet it is no longer needed) is because some higher power/g0d wanted it that way, then fine. I just take offense when religious people try to pass their views of creationism off as science when it is not.

science: systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Science if founded upon observations and concrete evidence. I can say "the sky is blue" and you can look at it for yourself to prove me right or wrong. If someone were to say "g0d created man", that's much more difficult to prove, if even possible at all. And to try and use scientific reasoning to validate religious claims goes against the whole foundation of faith based religion in the first place. (omg conundrum) Point being, religious beliefs are not scientifically proven and should not be taught in a science classroom.

[quote=Aioros]I already explained this to you grandpa, i'm badmouthing Creationism, not those who believe in it. Did you forget already? It must be the old timers taking effect.
yeah.... cause the way to get people to respect you and your opinion and take anything you say seriously is to belittle and insult them. And you are quite the fool. If you are badmouthing something, you inherantly are also badmouthing anyone who agrees with or is in support of the thing you are badmouthing.

"Yellow cars are so ugly!" Well gee, if I have a yellow car, you've just insulted me.

"Creationism is stupid!" Well gee, if I believe in creationism, I too must be stupid.

And calling someone grandpa when they're just 5 months older than you just makes you look like a big fool.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I know he's not that old. I was only returning the favor since he was referring to some of us as kiddies and saying all kinds of insults involving us being young even though were obviously not that younger than him.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]lol, sarcasm.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

my original lashing out was more directed at Arwon with his "kooks" reference, and LoS with his typical Christian bashing. But it's cute how you came out to defend your brothers at arms. That's why I got upset about the bashing. I already said that frankly, I don't care if evolution or creationalism is taught in schools. If my kids have that one chapter wrong, I'm sure it'll get corrected according to their own personal taste in church and/or college, whichever, doesn't matter to me. I mean, I was taught evolution in school, but then the teacher would, after the lesson, inform us that "many people think we were created in a different manner." "Oh, what's that?" "***." "oooh". I said prayers before lunch in my TALENTED AND GIFTED CLASS every day from 3rd grade until 6th grade. That was the advanced class, and we prayed. And I'm not an uber Christian. Why do people assume that grade school children are so completely gullible and fickle that something they learn will not possibly be reconsidered later? You said you went to Catholic school. And now you're an atheist. Obviously, you weren't so easily coerced by what you were taught that it forced you to believe it ten years later. Why do people care so much? I just don't get it. As for the grandpa jokes *golf clap*. The part about you putting spin on science being truth obviously went over your head, as did the "scientific truth" being monotonous part, so I won't even bother re-addressing them.