Foreign Films

Posted by harajukuchic

any fans of foreign films? i just saw this awesome one called DOLLS...it's great! I found it on this site, palmpictures.com u can go there for a summary and trailer because i'm so bad at giving summaries,,i always just keep rambling and pretty much give away the whole movie! But honestly it's one of my favorite movies! Has anyone else seen it? What do u think of it??

Lisa

Posted by Dexter

Excellent first thread, Lisa.

[U]Am

Posted by harajukuchic

Oh I love Amelie too!! Its a very pretty and creatively done love story. I really think you would like Dolls. I have never seen a more beautiful film. It follows three love stories through the four sessions. The colors are brilliant. They pop. Truly is the most breath taking movie I have ever seen.

What is the Barbarians movie about?

Posted by loony636

There was this really good documentary called To be and To have (etre et avoir), It was pretty good. I just thought it was good.

Posted by Spartacus_(AceT)

I love foreign films. Many of the best, most innovative films ever made are from different countries. Unfortunately, they're barely known in the US...because most people are stupid and ignorant. For example, "You Got Served" greatly outgrossed "Bad Education" (Almodovar's a film genius) in the US. Hell, "Bad Education" wasn't even wide released....also largely due to its homosexual themes. Literally every man in the film was gay. So if your a homophobe....also ignorance....then you probably won't like it. But it's a terrific movie with excellent acting and a jumpy but never-confusing plot. Please people...see as many foreign films as possible....expand your minds. Explore different cultures. And listen to Dexter....his movie choices are exceptional :).

Also, Amelie was excellent. It put a smile on my face through the entire movie, and hours after.

Posted by Y4kMISFIT

The new Hong Kong movies are my favorite. Any one see Full Time Killer, Six Strong Men? Their stories are just so much better than normal movies, and they actually require thought and concentration.

Posted by Dexter

k, I have been doing some studying on foreign films this last week for my Film Studies class and I have seen some amazing films.

First of all, Run, Lola, Run, the German film, was terrific. It was filled with some hyper, upbeat, Corrupt-like music and the entire question about 'what would happen if I was 5 minutes late' was thrown in throughout the film. The people she passed, and the amazing coincidences that could so easily be altered. It was a fun film, really. I'm sure a few members here have seen it, for it is rather popular.

Then there was El Mariachi, the Mexican film, directed by Robert Rodriguez (Sin City, From Dusk Till Dawn, Spy Kids). This was like an original Desperado or something.

Also, I saw Chocolate, Children of Heaven, Life is Beautiful, and I believe I’ll be watching Motorcycle Diaries tonight to finish off my last week of studying foreign films for Film Studies class. It has been an amazing class. My favorite one of the term, of course. I can't wait to go to film school next year.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Princess and the Warrior own all of these movies

lest we forget Brotherhood of the WOlf

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Princess and the Warrior

The director, Tom Tykwer, is the director of Run, Lola, Run, so I definitely have this on my list to see, along with Heaven. Also, if there is any way possible, I would love to watch his short film, True, staring Natalie Portman. I need to figure out how I could get my paws on this. I'll probably have to order it from the Net somewhere.

Posted by Borealis

I'm do not hunt for them, but I must admit to have seen film without knowing it was foreign.

Hubert is a police inspector with a tender heart and a tough manner. After Hubert punches out the police chief's son without realizing who he is, the commissioner forces Hubert to take a vacation. Reluctantly, he agrees, and decides to focus on his personal life, something he hasn't done for a long time. He soon gets a telephone call from Japan. A lawyer informs him that Miko, the love of his life who disappeared nearly twenty years ago, has died under strange circumstances. She hasn't forgotten him, in fact has named him as executor of her will. Miko has left him more than just a piece of paper, and more than just one problem, along with a daughter he never knew he had. Now the chase is on, with old grudges and new villains pursuing Hubert.

Provided by Yahoo! Movies

The version I saw was dubbed, hence, I could not tell if it was french or japanese. Most of the was filmed in japan, but the lead - 'Hubert' - was a french man and input french money into his bank account to leave his (notoriously) daughter with japanese money. It's a complicated story, but beautiful, nonetheless.