Magic the Gathering?

Posted by Forgotten Soul

I have one of these books, but I have not yet read it.
Has anyone here read any of these, and if so, are they
any good?

P.S. - I used to play the card game if that makes any
kind of difference when it comes to reading these books.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Dude, the game is AWESOME, but I never really got into any of the books. I read one (the first of the mirrodin cycle) and it blew pretty hardcore, so i havent bothered with them since. But I seriously love hte game.:(

Opening hand: Raging goblin, hatred, mountain, dark ritual, mox jet x3

Lay the mountain and all the moxes. Tap mountain for R, play goblin. Tap one jet for B, play ritual and get BBB. Tap other two jets for BB, and play hatred, paying 19 life, targeting the goblin. Then attack. You just swung with a 20/20 goblin before your opponent got to do anything. Instant turn one win.

The fact that I know more than one of those off the top of my head saddens me.

Posted by Colonel

I love Magic cards there still amazing to play with to this day. I collected all the original cards. Hand of Justice, Dauthi Mindripper, Rorex bladewing, Avitar of Fury, Blaze, Rag Man, Aurification, Abyssal Specter, Terror, Wall of Nets, Venerable Monk, Silver Seraph, and Havoc Demon. I have a whole Crown Royal tin filled with magic the gathering cards.

Fun for the whole family.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You collected all the original cards? you do realize that a full set of alpha cards would go for well over 10k at auction, right? Or are you just horribly misinformed about what the original cards are? Like, for instance, rorix is only a few years old, whereas magic is over 10.

Posted by Colonel

Trust me Lord of Spam, My 25 year old cousin gave me a show box full of his old magic cards, there are original cards in there. And as for Rorix i was just listing some good cards in my old deck.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

I remember years ago when I got into it, right around the time Ice Age
came out. Ah, such fun; then I got into it playing online not too long
ago, and man how some of the rules have changed. Oh well, still fun
from time to time. Which is why I had to ask about the books to see if
they were any good. I guess I will find out when I get a chance to read
the one book I currently have in my collection.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting .hack//: Trust me Lord of Spam, My 25 year old cousin gave me a show box full of his old magic cards, there are original cards in there. And as for Rorix i was just listing some good cards in my old deck.

Having alpha cards and having an entire alpha set is an ENTIRELY different thing. Hell, I have some alpah cards. its not that big of a deal.

Posted by Colonel

I never actually said i had the whole set.

Posted by Apathetic

I love the books, its crazy bueno. The card game was pretty fun too. Try "The Brothers War", by Jeff Grubb its pretty dang good.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I assume the brothers war is urza vs mishra? I got into it too late for those guys to be relevant to the story, but I always loved who badass urza seems to come off.

"I collected all the original cards"

Not only does that imply that you did the collecting yourself, but it implies an entire set worth by the use of ALL. Either learn to clarify or dont talk.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Quoting Apathetic: I love the books, its crazy bueno. The card game was pretty fun too. Try "The Brothers War", by Jeff Grubb its pretty dang good.

Would you recomende starting with a certain book? I mean, do the books follow any kind of time-line outside of their own Cycle?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Well, the magic universe is set in one dimention for the most part, so reading them in that order will yeild the best results, although the books for the Mirrodin, Kamigawa, and Ravnica cycles are all in different dimensions, so those can be read stand alone.

Dont read mirrodin though. It suuuucked.

Posted by Apathetic

Yeah, start off with The Brothers War, first book for the whole series that I am aware of. And LoS yup, "The Brothers War" is about urza vs mishra, and yeah I think urza is pretty badass too :cool: And the reason you dont see much of him is because hes in many books previous but his name still makes it to the newer books, and so does his crew. Ill PM you if you want to know why, sorta a spoiler and I dont feel like writing in grey.

Posted by Nightscare

anyone still even play? and if u do are u planning on going to the upcoming time spiral prerelease?

Posted by Nightscare

this thread may be getting old but the newest books (time spiral,planar chaos, and future sight) werent half bad

Posted by Skitzo Control

I read all the books, and The Brother's War was nowhere near the first book printed. It started off with Arena back in '94. The Brothers' War and other such novels didnt even start until '98.

Posted by Apathetic

Dang, I feel owned now! I always just looked at the book list any that was the first one. I guess you can only find the 94 books on the internet?

Posted by UncleYaris

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]Man I loved the game! My swamp deck, although not ***ly, was pretty ****ed annoying for my friends. I have to look into these books now![/COLOR][/FONT]