Suicide Clinics

Posted by Bebop

:chainsaw: So what's your view? It's big in Sweden. ;-*

I am opposed it. I think life is precious and should not be thrown away. I feel these clinics encourage suicide and worst of all make a business from it. I am against it.

DISCUSS

Posted by Lord of Spam

*sigh*

I think that theres no reason not to have them. Its an issue of personal liberty to me; being allowed to end one's life in a controlled and safe envirnment should be an option left up to the individual.

Posted by higbvuyb

People who feel suicidal are generally mentally ill, and wouldn't actually want to commit suicide if they were 100% sane. Most of the time, the problem can be solved by just sending them to a psychologist. They don't even have to go on medication.

A psychologist can identify the reason why they are feeling depressed, and can assist the patient in trying to remove it.

It's just like (legally binding) contracts are not legal if the person is mentally unfit to make such judgements, many of these people are unfit to make decisions on whether they commit suiocide or not.

However, this is different for non-mentally ill people, e.g. people with termial illnesses.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lord of Spam: *sigh*

I think that theres no reason not to have them. Its an issue of personal liberty to me; being allowed to end one's life in a controlled and safe envirnment should be an option left up to the individual.

I don't think people should have the option to end ones life just because you're all bah humbug about it. The only suicide I encourage is the honoruable scrifice one like in films where Arnies must through himself into lava to stop John Connor ever being born, thus saving the universe. Thats wicked.

Posted by Raptor

Being pro-death, I am absolutely for suicide clinics. Suicide is a good thing and is the most sensible option for some people, and not necessarily because they are mentally ill. I think it's a great option to have, and off the top of my head can think of several people I wouldn't mind referring to them. Of all things you hire a professional for, suicide should be one of them.

Posted by mis0

Who cares? The world is overpopulated anyway.

Posted by Fate

Quoting higbvuyb: People who feel suicidal are generally mentally ill, and wouldn't actually want to commit suicide if they were 100% sane.

False. Suicide has been studied to be connected to patients with mental illnesses, but the willingness to commit suicide itself is not a mental illness. You can be a completely rational person and commit suicide.

Suicide clinics are a no-go for me, seeing as how it's much more fun to see splatter than euthanasia. On a more serious note, I think some people should seek help first rather than hitting up one of those clinics. Teenagers shouldn't be allowed. The existence of them alone would scare me.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Princess Fate: False. Suicide has been studied to be connected to patients with mental illnesses, but the willingness to commit suicide itself is not a mental illness. You can be a completely rational person and commit suicide.

I mean, 'some mental illnesses such as severe depression may encourage people to commit suicide when they normally would not'

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm for it. I view it as being basically the same as abortion clinics and how people are going to do this regardless, so you might as well give them a safe environment to do it in. Problem is, having to regulate a place like this and finding the guidelines underwhich people can go through with offing themselves. I mean, if you make this sort of thing legal, it might make it easier for a single parent to kill his or her self and leave children behind without a home. Then again, like I said, that person might have done it anyway. The whole thing is you don't want to encourage suicide because it may affect the innocent like this and make a system of government and business that cannot function; and yes, making something easier to do is encouraging it. I mean look at the suicide rates in Sweden, from what one of my college professors was saying, they're insanely high. Also, you have to look at the god complexes that people will obtain from a job position at one of these places and the effects that will have. Eh, it'd be all too messy of a situation for me to even touch.

Posted by jefferey shalome

People who are suicidal usually just need help and are not thinking clearly after some sort of breakup or losing something precious to them.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=jefferey shalome]People who are suicidal usually just need help and are not thinking clearly after some sort of breakup or losing something precious to them.

Or people who have had rather ****ty lives and became a drunk to kill the former mental pain. You could ask my uncle about it, but he commited suicide. :(

If they could donate whatever other money they have to some charity organization then I'd be for it. As far as human life goes, I'm not a big supporter of it. It'd still be a person's choice to commit suicide, and because they're suffering in some way or another I feel it'd be selfish to keep them alive. Kind of like letting a wounded animal suffer.

Posted by Klarth

Surely it'd make more sense for the Swedish government to pour funding into setting up clinics which help people realise that there are alternatives to suicide? Unless, however, we're talking about terminally ill people who can't bear to go on living, in which case self-euthanasia should be perfectly legal. Of course, it'll always be a weight on the conscience of a third party somewhere, and the ethics of the whole thing are always going to be a major debating point. :/

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting higbvuyb: People who feel suicidal are generally mentally ill, and wouldn't actually want to commit suicide if they were 100% sane. Most of the time, the problem can be solved by just sending them to a psychologist. They don't even have to go on medication.

A psychologist can identify the reason why they are feeling depressed, and can assist the patient in trying to remove it.

It's just like (legally binding) contracts are not legal if the person is mentally unfit to make such judgements, many of these people are unfit to make decisions on whether they commit suiocide or not.

However, this is different for non-mentally ill people, e.g. people with termial illnesses.

psychoanalyse your way out a terminal illness, THEN you can ban it. Its just another thing that doesnt really have any affect on society that requires it to be banned, but is anyway. Its a needless restriction on personal freedom.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I don't care until it comes in booth form. Until then, it's a good idea, but lame as hell.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Being pro-choice, i definitely support this. A person should be allowed to do whatever they want to their individual bodies as long as they don't harm or put anyone else at risk, whether it's putting mind altering drugs into your body (which is already legal with alcohol and that's a lot more dangerous to those around you than smoking a joint or commiting suicide) or ending your life. It's your body, your life and your money so you're absolutely allowed to do as you desire, anyone who tells you otherwise is bull[COLOR="Yellow"]s[/COLOR]hitting.

Poor Dr. Kavorkian, he should have moved to Sweden.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Raptor]Being pro-death

Then eat meat, pussy.

Posted by Raptor

Pro-human death. You know full well what I meant.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, cuz humans arent animals at all LOL. WE'RE JUST SOME WEIRD TYPE OF PLANT.

Posted by Fate

When I was younger I wished I had a cat's tail so I could swish it around all elegant-like.

Humans are animals, we're just a little different.
:/

Quoted post: Humans are animals, we're just a little different. :/

We're more evolved. Which... in the eyes of Raptor, somehow makes us worse than the lowest animal. I can kind of see the reasoning behind that though.

Posted by The Judge

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and I take a dim view on it.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Princess Fate: When I was younger I wished I had a cat's tail so I could swish it around all elegant-like. :/

[COLOR="Yellow"]o_O

I'll be having nightmares about furries tonight.[/COLOR]

Posted by The Judge

Screw that, I'm havin' hot dreams tonight.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Princess Fate:
Humans are animals, we're just a little different.
:/

Haha, "just a little."

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]We're more evolved. Which... in the eyes of Raptor, somehow makes us worse than the lowest animal. I can kind of see the reasoning behind that though.

We're so advanced we've looped round the universe back under plankton.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting The Judge: Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Pretty huge overgeneralization there. Some problems an individual might consider resorting to suicide to escape are actually quite permanent. Irreversible cancer or incurable chronic pain, maybe?

[quote]and I take a dim view on it.

Your views usually are quite dim.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Princess Fate][COLOR=skyblue]You can be a completely rational person and commit suicide.[/COLOR]

No, you can't.

[quote=Vampiro] We're more evolved.

No, we're not. We're just evolved differently.

[quote=Raptor]Some problems an individual might consider resorting to suicide to escape are actually quite permanent. Irreversible cancer or incurable chronic pain, maybe?

Case in point. No other species that I've heard of would be stupid enough to want death over any alternative (except immortality, but thats philosophy for ya).

Posted by Fate

YES YOU CAN. Vampiro meant (hopefully) that our brains are more evolved. And, since our brain is more evolved, silly instincts like "survival survival survival" don't really apply because we have the ability to rationally think.

You're not smart. Don't try to refute things without explanation. Get out.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Raptor: Pretty huge overgeneralization there. Some problems an individual might consider resorting to suicide to escape are actually quite permanent. Irreversible cancer or incurable chronic pain, maybe?
Sorry for generalizing. Next time I say something, I'll take into account every single possibility on earth that could disprove it, especially when what I say is an adage.

[quote]Your views usually are quite dim.

And?

Quoted post: No, we're not. We're just evolved differently.

Nah, we're more evolved.

Posted by The Judge

I am going to concur to this statement.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Princess Fate: YES YOU CAN. Vampiro meant (hopefully) that our brains are more evolved. And, since our brain is more evolved, silly instincts like "survival survival survival" don't really apply because we have the ability to rationally think.

Yes, this makes perfect sense. I would actually prefer to be driven purely by instinct, and not be capable of rational thought. Rational thought usually just leads me into trouble and miserable mental states. In the absence of rational thought, I would lack not only the cognitive ability to be interested in suicide, but also any reason to. Nothing much else would matter to me besides fulfilling my own basic needs. I can only dream of living a life of such simplicity. Being more evolved does not necessarily mean living a better life. At all.

Quoted post: I would lack not only the cognitive ability to be interested in suicide, but also any reason to.

Lemmings. Whether blamed for poor eyesight or not, they commit suicide en masse.

HAVE FUN NOT ONLY BEING A MINDLESS FOLLOWER BUT ONE THAT KILLS HIMSELF BECAUSE OF SAID FOLLOWING LOL

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Raptor]Pro-human death. You know full well what I meant.

Kill yourself and take as many people as you can with you, then. You haven't thought this out very well, have you?

[quote=Raptor]Yes, this makes perfect sense. I would actually prefer to be driven purely by instinct, and not be capable of rational thought. Rational thought usually just leads me into trouble and miserable mental states. In the absence of rational thought, I would lack not only the cognitive ability to be interested in suicide, but also any reason to. Nothing much else would matter to me besides fulfilling my own basic needs. I can only dream of living a life of such simplicity. Being more evolved does not necessarily mean living a better life. At all.

In my opinion living as a genetic robot doesn't qualify as any kind of life at all. Might aswell wish you were a shrub...or a flame. Non-sentient life is nothing more than a complicated chemical reaction.

Posted by The Judge

Rational thought allows appreciation. You think a dog appreciates the life it leads? Do you think a wolf truly understands the beauty of a sunset? Does a chameleon understand how amazing the speed it catches those bugs with its tongue at really is? Humans, whether they take something for granted or not, have the ability to appreciate how glorious life is. Even those who hate life still have the capacity to appreciate it. If you commit suicide because of your hatred for your lot in life or life in general, it doesn't mean you're incapable of feeling the same way about it that non-suicidal people do, it just means you shut it out.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Lemmings. Whether blamed for poor eyesight or not, they commit suicide en masse.

HAVE FUN NOT ONLY BEING A MINDLESS FOLLOWER BUT ONE THAT KILLS HIMSELF BECAUSE OF SAID FOLLOWING LOL

Lemmings dont commit suicde en masse. Its a myth. However it is fair to say not every Lemming is bright. But in any case its more a case of accidental suicide than intentional.

Quoted post: But in any case its more a case of accidental suicide than intentional.

Quoted post: Whether blamed for poor eyesight or not

More or less meaning unintentional.

Posted by Fate

accidental suicide is different from intentional suicide

just so you know

Quoted post: accidental suicide is different from intentional suicide

just so you know

no ****.

Posted by Fate

Then why bring it up? Raptor was talking cognitive thought. Lemmings don't do it intentionally. :/

Quoted post: Then why bring it up? Raptor was talking cognitive thought. Lemmings don't do it intentionally. :/

Suicide is suicide. And I was joking. Come on, lemmings!