Wii Countdown

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Apparently some shops in Europe are getting countdown clocks to the Wii launch. I have yet to check this, but I will do soon.

Source: http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=9465

EDIT: https://itisme.wordpress.com/2006/08/14/wii-release-date-tomorrow/ is the original source, apparently. It lists Meadowhall, which is close to where I got to university, and which I will visit on Friday. I will post photos if it's true.

Posted by TendoAddict

ITS THE FINAL COUNT DOWN!

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I hope my Gamestop has a midnight launch like they did for the GAMECUBE. That was fun.

Posted by muffla

well its auguest 27 does anyboy know if any really came out or was this all just a bug hoax

There are countdown clocks in stores all over the country. They're big white things with LED displays. Currently they advertise the DS Lite, with the TIME TO LAUNCH area blank. When the date is announced, the text will be changed to details about the Wii and the clock will tick.

Posted by muffla

awww i was hoping we would have a date by now

It's pretty much certain that the final date and price will be revealed at the Toyo Game Show next month.

Posted by Speedfreak

Actually, no Nintendo rep is speaking at TGS, nor is it likely that they'll be showing anything on the floor.

Bah, that's me getting confused. What's that special Nintendo-only event they announced? That.

Posted by Vg200x

There's a 78% chance it will be released at christmas or will be competing with the PS3. So put that on your countdown clocks.

So finely calculated that you got it completely and utterly wrong.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Posted by Vg200x

ooooook then????

Posted by XnintendudeX

I have alot of ideas for the Wii, do you?

Posted by Degeneration

Nintendo is having its own event on September 14 in the US, and another in the UK the next day. It would make sense to announce the Wii's launch date then.

Posted by muffla

i hope they say sumthin like it commin out tmrw cuz then we all can watch my grades turn into ssbb

Posted by Moogs

They announce the date a month or two before it gets released, muffla.

Posted by muffla

awwwwww well one can olny hope

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Sega announced the release date of the Sega Saturn the day it was released. This made many people unhappy, and was largely regarded as a bad move. One among many for that ill-fated but vastly entertaining system, sadly.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Sega announced the release date of the Sega Saturn the day it was released. This made many people unhappy, and was largely regarded as a bad move. One among many for that ill-fated but vastly entertaining system, sadly.
How is that possible? How can you keep it a worldwide secret and manage to ship it to all the retailers with no one finding out.

Posted by Hyper

The Internet definitey wasn't as widely used then as it is today. Information travelled slower. Not as slow as in the Colonial days, of course, but I can see how it could be kept relatively low key.

That, or everyone knew when the stores had them, but Sega didn't announce when they'd be allowed to sell them until they actually did.

It's actually not true. They shipped a huge batch of them to TGS, and allowed people to go to TGS and buy them there after they announced it at their conference. It wasn't available in stores until up to a week later.

Posted by muffla

that would be cool havin one in your own room

question how does it know when to run on does it have an internet conection or some kind of internal conection if the later what if you dont plug it in on time?

==========================

That would be cool having one in your own room.

Question: How does it know when to run on? Does it have an internet connection or some kind of internal connection? If the latter, what if you don't plug it in on time?

--- Interpretation by Hyper.

It's programmable by the staff, I think, although it may be Internet connected. Currently they show a countdown of 15 days for the 42 All-Time Classics game for DS (known as Clubhouse Games in the States). Given that different stores show the same message, though, I'd bet that they're Internet connected, and that whenever you plug one in it updates to the most recent message from Nintendo. It wouldn't surprise me if the launch date was revealed on the clocks at the same time as the press conference tomorrow/Friday.