UK power supply for VB

Posted by dacart14

Hi can anyone help? I need to sort out a power supply unit for my VB I have just aquired. Can I just plug a UK Snes power supply into the adapter tap or do I need to buy a step down converter from an electronics shop (if so which one?) I know you can make one yourself but would sooner not do that as I dont want to risk damaging my VB

Posted by lameboyadvance

You could use a step-down converter, but that would just be an outlay you can do without.

...If the UK SNES power supply is anything like ours, its plug is way too small for the US/JP Tap. They use some massive plug I've only ever seen on Nintendo stuff (unlike ours I can buy from the local electronics store).

The best way is to simply cut the plug from the US AC adapter and attach a UK socket onto the end of the cable so you can connect the UK one.

See [url=http://www.vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=162856&postcount=6]here[/url] for more info.

Posted by dacart14

Sorry to sound stupid but what you are saying is that I can just cut the Us power supply plug off the cable and fit my Uk power supply plug on to it instead ? Is the power/current ok for the system i.e not to high/low ?
Many thanks for your help again....

Posted by lameboyadvance

The SNES adapters from all regions are compatible, the problem is the US/JP one uses some massive plug that you can only seem to get by removing one from a US adapter.

If you have any soldering skills, you can just make sure you remove the US plug (with enough cable attached), then go down to your local Radio Shack/whatever and get a suitable socket for your own AC adapter. Making sure you get the polarity correct, solder the socket onto the plug/cable. It should all work fine.

...And the VB is pretty versatile when it comes to power. As long as its 9-10V (or possibly even 12V), and somewhere between 250-750mA, it'll probably work. The problem is getting a hold of the correct plug for the Tap.

Posted by dacart14

Many thanks just got my 1st VB of Ebay and dont want to ruin it by putting wrong power through it. I have been collecting other systems and just moved on to VB. I only like quirky, unpopular (sales wise!) systems. I am going to try and get complete collection of games if possible!

Posted by lameboyadvance

Quoting dacart14: I only like quirky, unpopular (sales wise!) systems.

I'm the same way. I try to limit myself to Nintendo consoles, but somehow I managed to acquire a game.com along the way. ;)

...And if you want quirky & unpopular, you may want to take a look at the [url=http://www.pokemon-mini.com/]Pokemon Mini[/url].

I hope to also get a FDS & 64DD one of these days... :p: