Songs YOU'RE Learning

Posted by Killer Jordo

What song are you currently learning/learned?

I just got Steady as she goes, and I was working on It's my life last week.

Posted by NeXidala

Being the very versatile person I am with music, I am trying to learn the words to 'Chemicals React' and 'Rope Ends'. I know completely opposite songs....but what the heck.

Posted by Gollum

Recently I learned a few songs on drums:

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
The Who - My Generation
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Universally Speaking
The Clash - Rock the Casbah
Wolfmother - Woman

For the band. We're playing three times in the next two weeks. On the 26th we're going to play at The Ex in Ottawa, so we're getting a second 45 minute set ready.

Edit: balls, i meant to give the thread starter negative rep.

Posted by XeroPercent

I personally don't try too hard to learn songs. I'd prefer to just make it up as I go. I know a few basic songs just from ear; Smoke on the Water, Cocaine, Iron Man, ect.

Quoting Raptor: Raptor disagrees: YOU'RE YOU'RE YOU'RE YOU'RE YOU'RE

Raptor the grammar whore!

Posted by Porcupine

Right, the process of working it out by ear? That would be learning it.

I'm currently working on the guitar solo from The Hive by In Flames and the accordion parts from La valse d'Amélie by Yann Tiersen.

Posted by poisonblood

I am curently learning the guitar part for the song

"Bleak" by Opeth

Posted by Kamek

I'm trying to learn "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes. It's a really simple song, and since I'm just learning, I think it's a good song to start off with.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Can one of the mods fix my mistake.

O, and Helter Skelter.

Posted by Phantasma2

I'm trying to learn "Bel Air" by Malice Mizer in the drums.

Hard stuff.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting poisonblood: I am curently learning the guitar part for the song

"Bleak" by Opeth

Same. That and Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness have been what I've been practicing the most lately.

NeXidala, what "Rope Ends" are you talking about? The Pain of Salvation song, or a song from another band?

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I'm finishing off the Super Mario Theme, Chrono Cross' "Radical Dreamers", and "Misirlou" by Dick Dale.

I'm attempting to learn the song "Jerk It Out" by the Caesars and I'm trying to learn (on my own from listening to the song) "Dragonblade" which is from Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova.

Posted by Porcupine

It would rock if everyone would mention the instruments they're learning songs on. :)

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Sean the Wicked]I'm finishing off the Super Mario Theme, Chrono Cross' "Radical Dreamers", and "Misirlou" by Dick Dale.

I'm attempting to learn the song "Jerk It Out" by the Caesars and I'm trying to learn (on my own from listening to the song) "Dragonblade" which is from Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova.

There's no ****ing way you can play Misirlou. No way.

And if I can ever get any better at the guitar I plan on learning Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2, which I actually found tabs for.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

New Millenium by Dream Theater on drums. The Liquid Drum Theater version, I have almost everything except the groove at the beggining can never get that last part perfect before going into the double bass.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Sean the Wicked: I'm finishing off the Super Mario Theme, Chrono Cross' "Radical Dreamers", and "Misirlou" by Dick Dale.

Misirlou! Great song, what other surf guitar stuff can you play?

Quoting Stalolin: There's no ****ing way you can play Misirlou. No way.

Yup. If I could record it I would.

Quoting Philsdad: Misirlou! Great song, what other surf guitar stuff can you play?

I started learning a lot awhile ago, when I got into the surf music a lot. But, for now, I can still play bits of "Walk Don't Run" (The Ventures), "Wipe Out" (The Surfaris), and "Pipeline" (The Chantays). There were a couple others my dad told me about, but after my computer crashed I lost all of it.

Posted by Hyper

Pipeline is also a Ventures song, unless one covered the other.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Hyper: Same. That and Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness have been what I've been practicing the most lately.

NeXidala, what "Rope Ends" are you talking about? The Pain of Salvation song, or a song from another band?

Of course Pain of Salvation.

Quoting Hyper: Pipeline is also a Ventures song, unless one covered the other.

Yeah, the Ventures covered it...as well as like fifty other bands. Very cool song.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting NeXidala: Of course Pain of Salvation.

:D

@Sean: Wasn't sure. Thanks for that info. My Dad introduced it to me as a Ventures song, so I've always assumed they wrote it. It's fun to play.

Posted by Pit

Master of Puppets - Last Solo
Megadeth - This was my life - Solo, have rhythm down
Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy Name - Adrian Smith solo

Posted by G-Sides

i'm polishing my cygnus.... vismund cygnus and then once i get my **** restringed i'm gonna start on the solos.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Guitar:

Lamb of *** - Laid to Rest (purely for the rhythm)
Pain of Salvation - Reconciliation
Buckethead - Machete
Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon solo
Steve Vai - his "moving-by-5th's" trick
More Jazz

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm finally getting the finishing touches on:

Phil Keaggy - The Wind and the Wheat
Phil Keaggy - In the Light of Common Day

And last night, I took a few minutes and learned "Blackbird' by the Beatles.

Posted by Ch

Guitar:
Cowboys From Hell by Pantera
Face of Melinda by Opeth
Crazy Babies by Ozzy

Violin:
All violin parts in Black Water by the Doobie Brothers

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I finished learning New Millenium and now i'm working on some Latin type grooves from Jimmy Brantly. Latin music has some pretty fun drums, and it's pretty easy once you get used to the left foot clave.

Posted by MarioStar

Im trying to finish Erotomania but the time signatures mess with my head.[COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR]

Posted by Hyper

Oooh, Erotomania is a fun one, wish I could play those solos.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Okay i'm trying to learn The Dance Of Eternity..i had tryed about a year ago but it was too hard so I gave up and i'm having a much easier time with it now. But it's still pretty hard because of all the time signatures...every 5 seconds theres a time change. Freaking Portnoy...

Posted by Fate

I don't learn songs to play, I learn songs to sing!

Currently going on some Polysics, Lola Ray, Gorillaz, and The Postal Service.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Princess Fate: I don't learn songs to play, I learn songs to sing!

Currently going on some Polysics, Lola Ray, Gorillaz, and The Postal Service.

Just as good. :D

Posted by Delilah

Eh, I'm working on the tabs to "Waves of Mercy." Usually, I don't like gospel music, but I've always loved this song...

:bounce:

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Guitar:

Valley of the ****ed by DragonForce

Posted by Pit

Storm Eagle
Highway Intro
Flame Stag
Metroid (Kraids Lair)
Tetris Type A
Spark Mandrill
Gravity Beetle

Posted by Fei-on Castor

You're learning Megaman songs on guitar?

Super!

I can play "Magnet Man" from MM3. I can also play a sh*tload of FF6 and FF7 music on guitar.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Pit: Spark Mandrill

Be forewarned:
This is ****ing hard to pull off. It continues to give me problems.

Posted by Pit

Quoting MetalVox~55: Be forewarned:
This is ****ing hard to pull off. It continues to give me problems.

Dude I ****ing know. That sweep is like, so gay.

Fei-On, MAGNET MAN IS MEGAMAN 2, which is still a cool song. However, I love Airman, favorite song from that game, its like, SO AMAZING. srsly

Posted by Phantasma2

Drums:

Falling Snow by Agalloch
Pretty simple.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Pit: Dude I ****ing know. That sweep is like, so gay.

Fei-On, MAGNET MAN IS MEGAMAN 2, which is still a cool song. However, I love Airman, favorite song from that game, its like, SO AMAZING. srsly

Nah man, you're thinking of Metal Man from Megaman 2. Magnet Man was the retarded looking guy with a giant magnet for a head in Megaman 3. Feion, you should record that song. :cool:

Air Man's theme rocked, but I think Wood Man's theme was my favorite from that game.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Philsdad: Nah man, you're thinking of Metal Man from Megaman 2. Magnet Man was the retarded looking guy with a giant magnet for a head in Megaman 3. Feion, you should record that song. :cool:

Air Man's theme rocked, but I think Wood Man's theme was my favorite from that game.

Oh yeah

mah bad nigra

Wood Mans theme was cool, but I can't find a ****ing tab for it

Posted by Killer Jordo

I just got my new Tom Petty tab book. Boy am I stoked. First song to learn is American Girl!

Posted by Kamek

I'm trying really hard to learn Don't Look back in Anger by Oasis. I know it's a simple song, I just wish I wasn't such a beginner and had someone to help me out with the strumming.

Posted by WackoHater2

I while ago, before my sister broke her guitar, I was trying to learn Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and I wasn't doing too well. I've decided to stick to learning to words. Currently I am trying to learn all of the words to Panic! at the Disco's "Build God, Then We'll Talk" and I almost have all of the words memorized. This is without looking at the lyrics on the interweb like I usually do.

Posted by keyartist

I'm always trying to learn more songs right now I'm learning how to play "Canon" on the piano.

Posted by WackoHater2

Also, Murderdolls - "197666"

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Panic: Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

Not that hard. I heard someone play it once and was immediately able to pick up. I still play it every now and then until I catch myself and segue into the most metalest riffage evar to make up for my slacking.

[quote]I'm always trying to learn more songs right now I'm learning how to play "Canon" on the piano.

Most of it's fun to play on guitar. I love that tune.

Posted by WackoHater2

I'm just terrible with guitars. I have no skill with them at all.

Posted by Omni

I can usually get the lyrics to a song after a few listens, and I sometimes like to sing along with songs, even though I don't think I'm even a remotely good singer. The most recent song I learned all the lyrics to was "Toy Box" by Soundgarden, because it took me a very long time to find the song even though I knew it existed.

Posted by Kamek

"Slide" by Goo Goo Dolls. I really wish I was good at guitar. Maybe one day with more practice.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Windowpane- Opeth, drums.