Rep system mod

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Re: abuse of rep. Why not introduce a mod, similar to the way that rep functions to disallow repping of someone you previously repped, to disallow repping of someone who recently repped you?

This would stop 'sympathy rep' which is a pet hate of mine. 'Hey, you repped me, I'll rep you back!' Or worse, 'hey, you repped me negatively because you disagreed with a post of mine, I'm going to derep you back out of spite!'

I agree it's not a massive problem, but it makes a mockery of the rep system if people go round with a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours mentality.

Posted by Klarth

I just tend to ignore the numbers. Working around the few members who actually care about 'em isn't really worth the hassle.

Posted by Iris

Chances are that numbers will be removed soon, so it won't be a problem in the future.

Posted by Linkman

Numbers are probably gonna be gone soon anyway.

Edit: gtfo Iris

That's true. But it has an effect when you see a post saying something, and then a random spiteful comment saying HAHA YOU'RE A FAG simply because the poster derepped them beforehand.

Also, ninja postery. Wow.

Posted by Klarth

AT LEAST THIS MEANS I'LL BE GOING OUT AS THE CHAMPION WHEN THE NUMBERS GO! HUGE NUMBERS, **** YEAH!

Posted by Iris

Well, it's up to the reader to decide whether they think the poster deserved it or not. Hopefully a comment like that wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The only people who care, or even do that, are new members anyways.

Posted by Ant

rep numbers are for faggots anyways. yeah get rid of them. only idiots go by numbers.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wait, people care about this stuff?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Da only use of da 'rep' is da comments. Rumor has it... :D

Without the rep numbers, though, I usually have no idea who's commented on my posts, since the auto-notification link takes you to the most recent one after yours. I never read my own posts again.

Quoted post: Without the rep numbers, though, I usually have no idea who's commented on my posts, since the auto-notification link takes you to the most recent one after yours. I never read my own posts again.

Pretty good point. I never go back and reread **** until I happen to notice "oh, my number seems to have gone up, huh." Otherwise, I'd never know. Maybe instead of having the numbers you could put a "you have X pending comments" or something where the PM **** is *shrugs*

Posted by Hyper

User CP's got it.

Because I check my User CP on a regular basis. Wtf.

A little icon instead of the rep number would work. Green for new rep, which would then turn to blue when you'd viewed it.

Quoted post: User CP's got it.

No one checks their User CP when they don't have to.

Posted by Last Fog

I always check my User CP. :/

Subscribed threads are listed there.

Posted by NeXidala

I don't think Rep is worth all the hassle. If nobody cares for Rep, then why worry about changing the whole systems just so there aren't any numbers? I don't really care, but whatever is done, hope it doesn't altar things too much.

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting NeXidala: I don't think Rep is worth all the hassle. If nobody cares for Rep, then why worry about changing the whole systems just so there aren't any numbers? I don't really care, but whatever is done, hope it doesn't altar things too much.

Good point, but if removing the nembers will result in not having to "spred the rep around" before commenting on someone's post, then I'm all for that.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting XeroPercent: Good point, but if removing the nembers will result in not having to "spred the rep around" before commenting on someone's post, then I'm all for that.

I doubt Jesse won't have a limit for comments, otherwise, people like Bakura will end up commenting stupid shiz in everyone's posts.

Posted by Hyper

Uhh, I check my User CP as soon as I visit the site. Subscribed Threads are a must.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting NeXidala: I don't think Rep is worth all the hassle. If nobody cares for Rep, then why worry about changing the whole systems just so there aren't any numbers? Because without the numbers there is no rep system. Thats all it is.

[quote]I don't really care, but whatever is done, hope it doesn't altar things too much.
Is that a contradiction?

Posted by Poison

Remove the numbers and I'm just a noob. Keep the numbers and i'm just a whore. Man, it seems I lose both ways. Jesse, fix that.

Posted by GameMiestro

If 50 people repped like I just did, VGChat would explode, destroying the rep system entirely.

Posted by Iris

Jesse can easily disable smilies from rep.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Only if they are disabled from the signature. What can be posted there can be in rep.

Posted by Dragon Master

Quoting Wings: Re: abuse of rep. Why not introduce a mod, similar to the way that rep functions to disallow repping of someone you previously repped, to disallow repping of someone who recently repped you?

This would stop 'sympathy rep' which is a pet hate of mine. 'Hey, you repped me, I'll rep you back!' Or worse, 'hey, you repped me negatively because you disagreed with a post of mine, I'm going to derep you back out of spite!'

I agree it's not a massive problem, but it makes a mockery of the rep system if people go round with a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours mentality.

here i see you problem wing's i don't like i just lie back and think what power i have even thou i am -200 that mean to me that its 2000 good rep for me come on member's keep it up i like bad rep the more the marry for if i get -300 rep ill be 5000 good rep and a mod in another site yep for me pass me a drink so i can get high.

Posted by Dragon Master

keep it up iris lol more power to me ya ya ya lolo :)

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Jesse Smith: Only if they are disabled from the signature. What can be posted there can be in rep.

It's called a custom modification. If it ever came to it, I could whip something up. Of course, I say that whenever something is needed, and it usually never happens because you aren't willing or it isn't in high enough demand :(

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Last Fog: Because without the numbers there is no rep system. Thats all it is.

Is that a contradiction?

No, I just didn't want anyone to think that I was telling them to not worry about rep. So, I said idc as long as it doesn't affect the system of commenting much....how is that contradicting?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Hyper: it isn't in high enough demand :(

But then you could also release it over at vbulletin.org so others could use it!!!! Yes, we're still waiting for that time waister hack showing how much people could make if they had a real job instead of living here!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by Hyper

I'm not doing that one. :(

And I'm not too fond of releasing stuff on vBulletin.org, because then I have to provide support for lots of people when I could just give it to you exclusively and then only have to deal with your problems :D

Posted by Linkman

I might be able to do one if Hyper isn't. Problem is, I don't own a vB I can use to hack :(

Posted by Hyper

Well if Jesse would trust us that wouldn't be a problem as I no longer have an available copy to test on either :(

Posted by Klarth

orly? What happened to rockdebate? :(

Once there are no problems here I'd say it'd be pretty much good to go on other BOARDS.

Posted by GameMiestro

Holy crap, the rep is gone! IS THIS ANOTHER ILLUSION?

Posted by Jesse Smith

View the HTML source of the page. :D:D

Posted by Poison

Like the classic last line in Evangelion

I feel sick.

I also demand REP BLOCKS!

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Klarth: orly? What happened to rockdebate? :(

Not on my server. =/

Posted by GameMiestro

9:57- Is this a hallucination at last?

9:58- No, it's Jesse Smith, messing around with VGChat again!

[spoiler]mad readers might find this interesting[/spoiler]

Posted by Jesse Smith

Disclaimer: The mods voted!!! :D I only had one vote!! :D

Check the thread on the Community board for the current war!!!

Posted by Xero

Not another freaking debate???

Why does it have to be so complicated? -_-

Posted by Arczu

Come on... reputation points aren't THAT important...

Read some of the debates. That's part of it, but it's more because the decision was made without the rest of the members even knowing.

Posted by Poison

It's back, I came.

Posted by Jesse Smith

What are you talking about??!! It's always been there!!! :D:D:D

I don't want it anymore.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting GameMiestro: 9:57- Is this a hallucination at last?

9:58- No, it's Jesse Smith, messing around with VGChat again!

adolf hitler stabs my teddy bear. she does it on purpose. ON PORPOISE.

Also, LESSON LEARNED, et cetera.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Vampiro: No one checks their User CP when they don't have to.

I check mine daily......

Is there's another way to see your subscribed threads that I don't know about?

Email notification. Whenever someone replies to a thread you've subscribed to, it sends you an email with a link to the thread. If two people post, it only sends you one email. I use it and just cycle through the emails, clicking the links and opening multiple windows, and thenposting in a bunch at the same time.

Posted by NES Queen

I've never gotten a single email notification from this place once. Ever.

Posted by NeXidala

It's probably because you disabled it. You only get e-mails if you chose to recieve them. You can enable it somewhere in your options.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting NES Queen: I've never gotten a single email notification from this place once. Ever.

Look at your settings.

>>>Subscribe with no notification

Hard to get E-Mail this way!!!!

Yeah. Usually it's off by default when you register an account.

Posted by Arczu

And with good reason. If you were like me two months ago where you got an e-mail notification on EVERY thread you've subcribed to (I have 600+ here!)... well yeah get that filter ready...

Posted by NES Queen

so does getting notifications about someone beating your high score in an arcade game count as a subscribed thread? cause i never get those either.

I regularly get 50 a day. But I don't need to bother with going back to the subscribed threads window and opening a separate window and blah.