DS Online - Updated

Posted by Speedfreak

It's been confirmed. Nintendo WILL put DS online later this year at absolutely no cost to the end user whatsoever. It's been confirmed that Animal Crossing will be online enabled (along many other games) and become a fully fledged MMORPG. Games like Pok

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

This is indeed great news.

However, I have always wondered, they speak of hotspots where Wi-Fi is enabled. So what exactly does that mean? Will I not be able to use it from my house?

Posted by Shade

[quote=Speedy]It's been confirmed that Animal Crossing will be online enabled (along many other games) and become a fully fledged MMORPG.

Words cannot express the joy I'm experiencing from these words.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ditto. I'm giggling at the thought of stealing all of Soul Calibur's peaches, leaving obscene messages on Rayden's billboard and chopping down all of Pit's trees. Hell, maybe this is a multiplayer game even Coarse Limely would be interested in.

Quoting Vampiro: This is indeed great news.

However, I have always wondered, they speak of hotspots where Wi-Fi is enabled. So what exactly does that mean? Will I not be able to use it from my house?

A hotspot is basically an area in range of a wireless router. Places like public libraries and Starbucks tend to have them. If you have broadband you could get a wireless router in your own home, thereby creating your own hotspot.

Quoted post: If you have broadband you could get a wireless router in your own home, thereby creating your own hotspot.

Hm, ok. But, lets say that I have a router that can be used wirelessly but choose not to. Would it still work, or would I need to start using it wirelessly?

Posted by Osic

Start Wirlessly. WiFi is the radio signals that are sent and recived by the DS and Router. If the router has wirless turned off then its not sending or reciving Wifi "waves". So you need to enable Wifi on your router (or buy a Wifi router). You better be able to know the Mac address of the DS so you can lock down your home hotspot so other DS users/people in cars with laptops cant access your home network and use bandwidth.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ah, people stealing your bandwidth isn't all that common, really. Only complete nerds do it in the middle of the night, just turn your router off :p

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

It's hard to believe that it will be completely free, but that'd be great. it would almost turn my decision to get a PSP over a DS, methinks.

Quoted post: It's hard to believe that it will be completely free, but that'd be great.

I doubt they would say "hey, it's free" and then later say "oops, our mistake, it actually costs x amount a month". People would be unbelievably ****ed.

Osic: Alright, thanks.

Posted by Proto Man

See??? See??? Aren't you glad Nintendo didn't jump on the bandwagon right away???? Now we will get online from Nintendo FOR FREE!!!! IMO this will knock the socks off of both Sony and Xbox. I wonder if this means that you can use Pictochat online...

Posted by Shade

Pictochat Online could be problem, unless you could get some kind of Buddy List on there. Or else there will be hundreds of people in a chat room at a one time. That+Only Four Chatrooms=Not Good.

Posted by Speedfreak

What makes you think Pictochat would be online at all?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: What makes you think Pictochat would be online at all?

Why wouldn't it be? I think it would be stupid if it wasn't. It's already on the DS.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Protoman: See??? See??? Aren't you glad Nintendo didn't jump on the bandwagon right away???? Now we will get online from Nintendo FOR FREE!!!! IMO this will knock the socks off of both Sony and Xbox. I wonder if this means that you can use Pictochat online...

Alot of online ps2 games ARE free. Why would you say something so blatantly ignorant and stupid? You clearly had no idea what you were saying when you said it. How idiotic of you.

Also, if it is an mmorpg AND free, then it must be non persistent to the extent of hardcore mmorpgs. But I don't care about that, free mmos such as pocket kingdom are good enough.

I really appreciate this feature from Nintendo. I can't believe how totally awesome mario kart will be.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Darkbackward: Alot of online ps2 games ARE free. Why would you say something so blatantly ignorant and stupid? You clearly had no idea what you were saying when you said it. How idiotic of you.

Also, if it is an mmorpg AND free, then it must be non persistent to the extent of hardcore mmorpgs. But I don't care about that, free mmos such as pocket kingdom are good enough.

I really appreciate this feature from Nintendo. I can't believe how totally awesome mario kart will be.

Ok, would you care to name some? Because from what I have read, you have to pay subsrcription fees and such for having Sony Online. I do not have a PS2, but I do read magazines, and this is the first time I have ever heard of there being free online games. Also, I am not as idiotic as you would think.

EDIT: Ok, I have looked it up, and I found out that Sony's games are free. So hey, I didn't know that. No need to flame the heck out of me. Anyhow Ninty will definately rock Xbox live, if not Sony online. Although I don't know of any good game that came from Sony themselves.

Posted by Darkbackward

My reply to you could be considered a flame. I was angry at the obvious falsehood you portrayed. But I guess calling you an idiot several times is not appropiate.

Posted by Nevinyrral

Thank you! Your news has just made my day.....I mean night...whatever. =)

Posted by FerreTrip

WOO-HOO!!

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Protoman: Why wouldn't it be? I think it would be stupid if it wasn't. It's already on the DS.

Because it was made before the DSs online service? :)

Posted by Boner

Quoting Darkbackward: Alot of online ps2 games ARE free.

Dude! Thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot I have Twisted Metal Black online for the PS2. It was from a limited time offer that came with the network adaptor. I had that game before I got broadband and totally forgot about it. I'm gonna have to play that now :-D

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: Because it was made before the DSs online service? :)

This is true, but if the program was made in the DS hardware, I would think you would be able to use it with the new service.

Posted by Darkbackward

Ok first off, I think people are confused. Although I am NOT blaming the circle of moderators, who are perfect in every way.

By free online service, this does not mean that all nintendo games will be free. This means that you will BUY DS games from the store or from the internet and then play ONLINE for free. This applies to what I said when I said Free ps2 games.

Now, does this mean that Nintendo won't have totally free games? No, but it means you will basically have the same deal as sony does. Except with the ps2 you have to buy an adaptor, all you have to do with your DS is walk to a hot spot.

I found it funny that so many people climbed aboard the free online bandwagon for the DS only to find out that Sony did the same thing. This makes me wonder if the opinions expressed by these people is truthful, or if it really has a hidden, ignorant, agenda behind it.

But then again, I think of all the excellent moderators on these forums, and I say to myself "Nah, can't happen"

Posted by Shade

Okay. I've never really understood the concept of a hotspot very well. Can anyone explain it to me?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Darkbackward: Ok first off, I think people are confused. Although I am NOT blaming the circle of moderators, who are perfect in every way.

By free online service, this does not mean that all nintendo games will be free. This means that you will BUY DS games from the store or from the internet and then play ONLINE for free. This applies to what I said when I said Free ps2 games.

Now, does this mean that Nintendo won't have totally free games? No, but it means you will basically have the same deal as sony does. Except with the ps2 you have to buy an adaptor, all you have to do with your DS is walk to a hot spot.

I found it funny that so many people climbed aboard the free online bandwagon for the DS only to find out that Sony did the same thing. This makes me wonder if the opinions expressed by these people is truthful, or if it really has a hidden, ignorant, agenda behind it.

But then again, I think of all the excellent moderators on these forums, and I say to myself "Nah, can't happen"

If a game as big as AC is going to online for free, then I doubt any of the other games will cost. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it could be that way.

I don't know why you can't except the fact that Nintendo may not go the Sony route, Nintendo isn't Sony, and I doubt they would want to follow the same gameplan as their competitor.

To make you happy though I will make you this scenario. So lets say some Nintendo games aren't free, what they would charge though is next to nothing, lower than Sony online, and lower than Xbox live.

Shade: Hot spot basically means anywhere that has Wireless Wi-Fi. This would mean online coffee shops, bookstores like Barns & Noble, or even your own home with a wireless router.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Darkbackward: I found it funny that so many people climbed aboard the free online bandwagon for the DS only to find out that Sony did the same thing. This makes me wonder if the opinions expressed by these people is truthful, or if it really has a hidden, ignorant, agenda behind it.

I can see exactly where you're coming from, I'm frankly embarrassed that I made such a big thing about Nintendo going Online for free when Sony's done it this whole time. However, the free part isn't actually the part I was getting excited about the most. I qould quite happily pay an Xbox Live-like fee for a Sony Online-like service to play Nintendo games online, because Nintendo multiplayer games are simply better. I've never thought of the PS2 as a decent multiplayer console, but I've always thought of the Gamecube as an excellent one, despite the fact that Gamecube isn't online. Wheres PS2 might have SOCOM, numerous sports titles and games like Resident Evil Outbreak, Gamecube already has multiplayer titles that are better than all those online titles. Nintendo already wins the multiplayer battle, so being online just makes it better by default. I think a lot of other people feel the same way as I do about this.

Posted by Darkbackward

Again, I respect your opinion but disagree. Nintendo's games are certainly fun multiplayer, no question, and 4 player slots is also awesome.

But to my knowledge, there hasn't been one decent party game for the gamecube (mario party is atrocious), there hasn't been a good car combat game, alot of good racing games, but there aren't that many fighting games that I like (I don't like ssbm, sorry) and I like Sony's online offerings. You have socom, which is a pretty good game, you have two mmorpgs (albeit you have to pay monthly, but that is a given for pretty much any mmorpg) and I like having online available for titles like splinter cell or rainbow six 3.

But then again, that is just my opinion, I love the online games sony offers, and I will continue to do so. If you don't like them, well then I guess it would be a dream come true.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well, obviously multiformat games plainly don't count. I also feel you haven't given Mario Party a proper chance, though your opinion is most likely justified, most of them suck. Mario Party 2 and 5 are the only decent versions. Also, a party game doesn't necessarily mean a game with minigames, but rather a game anyone can get into really easily. So games like Four Swords (which, by the way, is an utterly amazing multiplayer experience, if a rare one), Mario Kart and Mario Tennis can all fall under the "party game" tag. Super Monkey Ball is also undeniably a brilliant party game.

Posted by Osic

Can we not lose sight that we are talking about the DS online not GCN's multiplayer games. The DS looks like it will have some asome online games. Animal crossing, Mario Kark etc will be great.

The difference between PS2 online for free and DS online for free is that people who cant afford/cant get broadband have the opitunity to go online, and people that do have broadband at home also have the opitunity to play both. This is more of a catch up for Nintendo but does that make it bad, or wrong? Not like Sony didnt copy off the idea of the internet from a PC. Its a feature, that is free, stop complaing and start living the dream.

Posted by Speedfreak

If you read our posts you'd see that my comments on GC multiplayer games are valid and on topic.

Posted by Kid-Heaven

hello people am new :)

woo hoo 1st post!!

anyway on topic:

i think these online features are going to be amazing, il be going out on a journey in the car battling someone in austrailia! this is going to kick *** :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Uh, you can't play online whilst on the move. If you actually did some research you'd learn that you have to be in a hotspot for the Online gaming to work.

Posted by D.J Cat

Could you put one of these hotspot gizmos in a moving device?

Such as a car or yourself...?

Anyway this is going to be awesome.

I am definatley getting a DS now. :cool:

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Speedfreak]Uh, you can't play online whilst on the move. If you actually did some research you'd learn that you have to be in a hotspot for the Online gaming to work.

What if you remain within the hotspot's range?

Posted by Speedfreak

And how, exactly, will you be in a hotspot in a moving car?

Posted by sniper

The difference between the DS and PS2 is that Sony did not provide the means to connect and play games online. The game makers were responsible for that. Think of the DS version as being a free Xbox Live.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh? What is Sony Online, then, if it isn't an Xbox Live like service?

Posted by FerreTrip

Quoting Speedfreak: Super Monkey Ball is also undeniably a brilliant party game.

AW ****ING HELL NO IT ISN'T...
Oh, wait...CRAP, I'M LYING AGAIN!! :splat:
[SIZE=6]SUPER MONKEY BALL ROCKS!![/SIZE]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Speedfreak: And how, exactly, will you be in a hotspot in a moving car?

Laptop with wireless internet card :dunno:

Posted by Shade

I'm going back to DB's "no good party games" statement. That is utter crap. I take it he's never played Mario Kart: Double Dash.

AND YES, I DO CONSIDER THAT A PARTY GAME.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Bebop: Laptop with wireless internet card :dunno:

There's no such thing as a "wireless internet card". There's Wi-Fi cards, which let laptops communicate with other things wirelessly, like wireless routers for instance. But there's nothing as far as I'm aware that lets you connect to the internet independantly. However, many mobile phones can now go online, so I suppose if you connected a phone to a laptop and shared the internet, then let the laptop broadcast said connection within the DSs range, then it's possible. But that's rather costly and a lot of hassle.

Posted by Towelie1

Quoting D.J Cat: Could you put one of these hotspot gizmos in a moving device?

Such as a car or yourself...?

:

Yes you can, my friend recently bought a car with a computer inside it, and he can talk to people on msn with it whilst driving

Posted by FerreTrip

OH, COOL!!
Anyway, me and dad wondered this today: HOW will we be able to get the service? Anyone know?

Quoted post:
Anyway, me and dad wondered this today: HOW will we be able to get the service? Anyone know?

You techincally already have it. Once some games come out that uses it all you need is a hotspot.

Posted by Looski

Wow, I'm actually not regreting buying a DS at this moment. Was starting to think it was a waste of money that should have gone toward PSP! That sure would be fun to play online on a handheld.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Shade: I'm going back to DB's "no good party games" statement. That is utter crap. I take it he's never played Mario Kart: Double Dash.

AND YES, I DO CONSIDER THAT A PARTY GAME.

I'm glad you do consider it a party game, but it's not. It's a racing game. For your statement to be accurate you would have to say that all multiplayer racing games are party games. Now, you can have a party when you play it, but it still isn't a party game. Which goes back to my point: every game is a role playing game, you role play a football team, you role play mario, you role play zelda, but only one of those counts as a role playing game. You can't take literal use of the genre into effect, you must place boundaries on what that genre means.

I forgot about super monkey ball and wario ware, but the sheer crap that is mario party downgrades the system. The xbox is no better, but kung fu chaos and whacked equalize with nintendo IMO, why? Whacked is online and kung fu chaos is a hybrid. Wario Ware isn't too special for a console title, it excels where it is on the hand held stage much better, I think we all can agree on that.

Look, you can love nintendo more than any other game company, I don't care, it's a good company. But I believe that sony has done a great job of making stuff available for their system in the online market. I like the closed system of xbox live, but the online fee is TOO much. Sony's online service is free, and Nintendo is following the same route with the gamecube and DS, this is good.

Posted by Bebop

If you can play it with alot of people and everyone has fun its a multiplayer game.

If you arrange to meet up just to all play one game together where everyone is laughing, having fun and playing thats a party game. Mario Kart Dobule Dash is a party game.

IMO anyway

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Quoting Darkbackward: I'm glad you do consider it a party game, but it's not. It's a racing game. For your statement to be accurate you would have to say that all multiplayer racing games are party games. Now, you can have a party when you play it, but it still isn't a party game. Which goes back to my point: every game is a role playing game, you role play a football team, you role play mario, you role play zelda, but only one of those counts as a role playing game. You can't take literal use of the genre into effect, you must place boundaries on what that genre means.

I forgot about super monkey ball and wario ware, but the sheer crap that is mario party downgrades the system. The xbox is no better, but kung fu chaos and whacked equalize with nintendo IMO, why? Whacked is online and kung fu chaos is a hybrid. Wario Ware isn't too special for a console title, it excels where it is on the hand held stage much better, I think we all can agree on that.

Look, you can love nintendo more than any other game company, I don't care, it's a good company. But I believe that sony has done a great job of making stuff available for their system in the online market. I like the closed system of xbox live, but the online fee is TOO much. Sony's online service is free, and Nintendo is following the same route with the gamecube and DS, this is good.

Mario Kart is a party-racing game ^.^

Posted by Shade

DB, you clearly don't know what I think a "party game" is defined as. To me, a party game is a game that a bunch of people can play at the same time. So IMO, Mario Kart: Double Dash is a party game.

Posted by Bebop

nevermind

Posted by Darth Vader

DS online will be cool. I think it would be cool if they made an online DS Starwars game, like Star Wars Galaxies.

Posted by Speedfreak

New details on how DSs online system will work.

The newest edition of American magazine Nintendo Power has a feature all about the DS. Their discussions of the DS

Posted by Shade

*Drools over Pokemon Online some more*

That's great, every multiplayer going online, wow. Now they really need to make Super Smash for DS. :)

Posted by Speedfreak

Can't wait for Four Swords, myself.

Posted by Shade

Perhaps a FFXI-esque MMORPG is in order.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh, there's Crystal Chronicles being made for DS, that should work out pretty well.

Posted by Shade

That game got delayed as well....

Posted by -SaiyanKnight-

Super Smash bros on DS will be so kool :)

i think the DS is just amazing, PSP is way too overated

Anyway this will be awsome although i really doubt every single multiplayer is going online, only the componies who can be bothered to actualy add them, like Nintendo said, all they have to do is alter the multiplayer abit to make it online, and not every company will be bothered to do that, but you can count on Nintendo to do it :)

Posted by Madame Flurrie

Quoting Shade: Perhaps a FFXI-esque MMORPG is in order.

Squeenix is working on a MMORPG for the DS if I recall correctly. :)

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Shade: That game got delayed as well....

Maybe so they can bring it online...

Anyhow this is awesome news. But I have a question, when they say GameSpy, are they talking about the GameSpy Network? The same GameSpy that is owned by IGN entertainment?

Posted by -SaiyanKnight-

not sure lol

Well they mean Gamespy as in the company who hav amazing online technology, makes sense to get them to help nintendo

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Protoman: Maybe so they can bring it online...

Anyhow this is awesome news. But I have a question, when they say GameSpy, are they talking about the GameSpy Network? The same GameSpy that is owned by IGN entertainment?

Probably Gamespy Arcade, the online network that games like Halo PC use to go online for free.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

All this leaves me wondering what the heck happened to DemaSked...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Shade: Okay. I've never really understood the concept of a hotspot very well. Can anyone explain it to me?

I'd also like to know a little more about this, especially how I'd be able to set up a hotspot at home. Does this mean any time I want to play DS online, I'll have to go to the library or Starbucks?

Quoting Towelie1: Yes you can, my friend recently bought a car with a computer inside it, and he can talk to people on msn with it whilst driving

So, how many people has he ran over so far? (:

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting The X: I'd also like to know a little more about this, especially how I'd be able to set up a hotspot at home. Does this mean any time I want to play DS online, I'll have to go to the library or Starbucks?

My friend, to set up a "hotspot" at home, you need a broadband connection, and a Wi-Fi router, plain and simple. As far as going to some where like Barns and Noble, or starbucks, I am not quite sure if that would work, because in places like those charge for their service. Could probably work in the library, but I think they would frown upon that.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Protoman: My friend, to set up a "hotspot" at home, you need a broadband connection, and a Wi-Fi router, plain and simple. As far as going to some where like Barns and Noble, or starbucks, I am not quite sure if that would work, because in places like those charge for their service. Could probably work in the library, but I think they would frown upon that.

First of all, I'd like to know a bit about this WiFi router. How much would it cost, and would it benefit me in any ways other than a DS hotspot? Is it hard to set up? Also, would a store/company/library notice if you'd connected to their system via a DS?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting The X: First of all, I'd like to know a bit about this WiFi router. How much would it cost, and would it benefit me in any ways other than a DS hotspot? Is it hard to set up? Also, would a store/company/library notice if you'd connected to their system via a DS?

A Wi-Fi router can run you from about $50 to a little over $100 depending on where you get it from. I suggest looking in Amazon.com. The main reason for having one of these is for sharing an internet connection among computers, or if you have a laptop, to be able to have a wireless connection wherever you are in your house. You have to have wireless cards for that though. Not that hard to set up, you just plug your cable or DSL modem into it with an Ethernet cord. Don't know how hard it is to set up on your computer, because I have never done that. If none of that applies to you, than it would not benefit you other than using it for your DS.

As far as library goes, I don't know if they would notice or not if you are using their connection.

Nintendo will surely offer a wireless USB access point for sale, plug and play (excuse the pun). Aside from that, many branches of McDonald have now started offering free wireless access, and there's one not 100m from my house. I may even be able to access it from home. :p

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Wings: Nintendo will surely offer a wireless USB access point for sale, plug and play (excuse the pun). Aside from that, many branches of McDonald have now started offering free wireless access, and there's one not 100m from my house. I may even be able to access it from home. :p

Trying to viciously rape the trees of my friend's Animal Crossing town in a fast food joint with screaming kids around me sounds delightful.

Posted by MooJ

YAY! *already has a hotspot set up* Thats three people in the area that can go online.

Posted by NightmareBassX

I doubt that nintendo will make online and not provide something with it to help you get a "hotspot" going. I mean, there not totally going to ditch you... Well at least I hope so, I don't want to be screwed, It will probably be a hassle to get a hotspot set up for me.

Posted by powerpuff

I'd like to see the matrix online ds.

Posted by Shade

And I would not.

Well, I have my router and am ready to play Metroid Online when I get. That is, it'll be online if Ninty knows what's good for them.

Posted by Litbut

I say that this is great news.

Posted by Apathetic

Heres a tip for people who live in a packed neighborhood, your neighbors have wireless you have wireless
;)

Posted by dylananisa

SWEEET...

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

Holy ****! A handheld with online gaming cababilitys! I can lay down in my bed, feet up, and play mario kart DS with people all over the world! Now that freaking rocks! The DS is indeed a gaming revoulution.

Posted by Mini Rebew

omg i cant wait for metroid and mario kart...even though ill have to buy a router...i need one anyway. would it be possible to do it without a wireless router, maybe just pluging it into your modem?

Quoting Mini Rebew: omg i cant wait for metroid and mario kart...even though ill have to buy a router...i need one anyway. would it be possible to do it without a wireless router, maybe just pluging it into your modem?

No. Unless they come up with some kind of wire that fits into both your DS and your modem. But, it's called Wi-Fi for a reason.

Posted by Speedfreak

There's really no need for such a wire. You can just buy a USB wireless adapter for your PC ([url="http://www.ebuyer.com/"]www.ebuyer.com[/url] is a good site) for like $20 and make a wireless bridge from your PC to your DS.

Because so many people seem to be confused, here's a guide to get your DS online.

Type the quickfind code for this item at [url="http://www.ebuyer.com"]www.ebuyer.com[/url] (152031), buy it, install and plug it into your PC and turn your DS on in range of it. Be happy. :)

Posted by Apathetic

Im never really happy :(

Posted by thelaststand

mmmm are there any est. dates?

Before the end of the year is all that's been announced so far.

Posted by Speedfreak

Considerinf Animal Crossing is due out in October, I'd say October.

Posted by NightmareBassX

I saw a rumor saying that the release dates for Animal Crossing and Mario Kart were to be released ealier then expected, But afterall, its just a rumor. This is going to be one long summer...

Quoted post: There's really no need for such a wire. You can just buy a USB wireless adapter for your PC ([url]www.ebuyer.com[/url] is a good site) for like $20 and make a wireless bridge from your PC to your DS.
Thanks, sounds easy. I was getting quite scared, I didnt want to be left out in the whole 'Online experience'

And Im not sure if metroid will be online, since all i've seen is talk about Animal crossing and Mario kart going online. Correct me if im mistaken.

Posted by verystrait42

GUILD WARS ONLINE FOR DS!!!