"Get rid of the rep system" new poll.

Posted by Linkman

Going by the other thread, a lot of people feel removing the numbers is a good idea, but leaving it on so people can post comments is the best thing. SO, considering Jesse does nothing without a poll...

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Linkman: considering Jesse does nothing without a poll...

You guys learn fast!!!! :D:D:D:D

er can you give me permission to make a few n00bies mods/super mods so they can't be banned...with out a poll!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by lameboyadvance

There should be a fourth option: leaving it as is, but expanding the rep restrictions (max number, repping others before you can rep again, etc).

Posted by Linkman

MAKE IT HAPPEN MR. SMITH!

I gotta get a hold of Angelwing. If she lets me use her vB (She moved, so she wont have internet access for a while, but she gets on on a cellphone from time to time), I'm gonna create a post comments hack that doesn't use the rep system. Hyper can help me if he wants.

Posted by Klarth

VGC WILL CRUMBLE IF THE REP SYSTEM IS NOT CHANGED! IT'S CAUSING THE COMMUNITY TO COME APART AT THE SEAMS!

Why are you so vehement about having it changed? :/

Posted by Ant

They tremble in fear of your huge number/e-penis.

Whatever, let them have what they want.

Posted by Jesse Smith

The numbers are still there, just hidden, and it's off the Member list page.

Posted by Klarth

Ouch. :( Oh well, I win.

Posted by Klarth

Hey, hang on. Jesse, did you just add something new to the bar in VGC's header? It seems more cluttered than usual...

Posted by Iris

I think Log Out was added.

Posted by Stalolin

Log Out has always been there from what I remember.

Posted by Iris

I don't remember it, for some reason. I thought it was at the bottom of the index only.

Posted by Klarth

Nope, log out's always been there. Otherwise, how would people be able to log out? :D

Posted by Stalolin

No. It's been at the top as well. Stop being blind.

EDIT: ******* klarth ninjas

Posted by maian

Eh. I'd rather have the numbers still on, but it looks like they've been removed. Ah. Whatever. I love the comments, but I always liked seeing how my number changed. :cookie:

Posted by Linkman

The navigation is still the same.

Posted by Klarth

I'm positive something else is there. Userpages? I thought they were removed.

Posted by Hyper

No, it's exactly the same. Unless it was Chat - I've never noticed it, but it's probably been there all along.

Posted by Stalolin

Chat's been there all along as well as I remember accidently clicking on it once.

Posted by Klarth

I'm dead certain User Pages was removed once they turned out to be a flop.

Posted by Linkman

it's still the same. I can tell for sure because of my crappy screen resolution.

Posted by Jesse Smith

All I did was add where the rep numbers are, 'and' being where the numbers were.

er, did four of you vote AFTER the change? I'm sure 'Leave the rep system how it is.' only had one or two votes when I made the change!!!!

Posted by lameboyadvance

Quoting Jesse Smith: er, did four of you vote AFTER the change? I'm sure 'Leave the rep system how it is.' only had one or two votes when I made the change!!!!
You must have miscounted. :p:

Posted by Ant

Ha! Way to act early. LOOKS LIKE THE REP NUMBERS ARE COMING BACK!

Posted by Linkman

a week was long enough

Those who chose not to vote, it's their problem.

Posted by Ant

How long would you think would be long enough then? I think this should be the next big VGC topic! HOW LONG CAN WE KEEP POLL'S OPEN?! [spoiler]POLL'S CLOSED FOREVER B[COLOR="Lime"][spoiler]I[/spoiler][/COLOR]TCHES![/spoiler]

Posted by Jesse Smith

Take a look at

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122589

I can add that hack!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Linkman: a week was long enough

Those who chose not to vote, it's their problem.

OBVIOUSLY THE LINKMAN HAS TO GET WHAT THE LINKMAN WANTS

People didn't "choose not to vote", they simply obviously didn't see the poll/weren't paying attention - and if you say it's "their problem" you can go **** yourself.
[quote=Jesse Smith]http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122589
**** NO. That's horrible.

Posted by Alastor

Or some people may not have voted because they don't give a crap about the rep system. ;D

Posted by Klarth

Until it's gone.

Posted by Alastor

By "some people", I meant me. :(

Posted by Iris

I don't see why it would be coming back though. Votes after a change has already been made have always been considered void. :cool:

Posted by Linkman

I should have closed the poll after Jesse did it.

MY BAD

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Iris: I don't see why it would be coming back though. Votes after a change has already been made have always been considered void. :cool:

Well, here's a [url=http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=16759]different poll[/url] which shows that right now the people who care about it outnumber the people who don't by about two to one. And hey, if votes in a poll created after the first one's closure don't count, then what about moderation and de-moderation polls?

Posted by Iris

uh, after some one's been modded or demodded, votes after that action are just considered null. That's how polls work. :)

Also, who cares if it makes a few people angry? You know the people will moan about any action the mods take, so why should we start taking it to heart? Rather than being worried whether or not the members will appreciate it, how about we consider the benefit of VGC first?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Iris]uh, after some one's been modded or demodded, votes after that action are just considered null. That's how polls work. :)
I probably phrased my point pretty badly - what I meant was that if a poll is made to mod someone and they win, the votes in the de-mod poll aren't considered null and void. Changes don't have to be irreversible.

[quote]Also, who cares if it makes a few people angry? You know the people will moan about any action the mods take, so why should we start taking it to heart? Rather than being worried whether or not the members will appreciate it, how about we consider the benefit of VGC first?
...this is precisely the mindset that is ****ing things up right now.

Posted by Iris

Changes are irreversible, but I honestly don't care for voting after it's been done rather than speaking up and actually saying why. Also, it's awfully petty to be arguing over numbers. I mean, come on. I'd rather VGC have less spam posts and let the members say what they need to in comments rather than people brag about how big their reputation is.

And if you're actually considering the benefit of a group of members who miss their big numbers over the benefit of VGC, then I'm done taking you seriously. It's obvious that VGC is only going to get worse if we start allowing members to just go on their own merry way.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Iris]Changes are irreversible, but I honestly don't care for voting after it's been done rather than speaking up and actually saying why.
Most of us are voting AND reasoning here. In case you hadn't noticed, there's a hundred-post (or thereabouts) thread about it in the comm board.
[quote]And if you're actually considering the benefit of a group of members who miss their big numbers over the benefit of VGC, then I'm done taking you seriously.
Jesus ****ing christ, HOW IS THIS HELPING VGC AT ALL? The people who don't care won't notice a change at all, the people who do care are up in arms and the people who actively wanted it gone are a minority.
[quote]It's obvious that VGC is only going to get worse if we start allowing members to just go on their own merry way.
Wait, so you've just admitted to wanting to kill fun in the interest of making VGC somehow... better? Wow.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Klarth]Most of us are voting AND reasoning here. In case you hadn't noticed, there's a hundred-post (or thereabouts) thread about it in the comm board.
no, the only argument against it is that rep numbers are fun and the members didn't get to vote whether they want it gone or not. Apparently, none of you cared enough to vote within a few days after the poll was made.
[quote]Jesus ****ing christ, HOW IS THIS HELPING VGC AT ALL? The people who don't care won't notice a change at all, the people who do care are up in arms and the people who actively wanted it gone are a minority.
it's to help the state of VGC by cutting down on spam and still allowing people to make comments, by removing the numbers that are taken seriously for no reason and allowing people to make more comments with less restrictions so that it's not abused. It's only numbers and seeing people yell about it is only proving the "they'll ***** about anything" point. They weren't promised rep numbers and it's really not a huge problem if they're taken away. Once again, rather than avoiding change to please a group of elite members, I'd rather VGC be neater and more spam-free.
[quote]Wait, so you've just admitted to wanting to kill fun in the interest of making VGC somehow... better? Wow.
If reputation is your only source of fun then I suggest you get out more.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Iris]uh, after some one's been modded or demodded, votes after that action are just considered null. That's how polls work. :)

Also, who cares if it makes a few people angry? You know the people will moan about any action the mods take, so why should we start taking it to heart? Rather than being worried whether or not the members will appreciate it, how about we consider the benefit of VGC first?

How the hell do you benefit VGC if no one likes what you're doing?

Posted by Shin-Ra

I agree with Iris just about 100% on this. I say the only thing that needs to be changed now is an increase in the frequency we can leave comments. Screw the numbers.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Iris]no, the only argument against it is that rep numbers are fun and the members didn't get to vote whether they want it gone or not. Apparently, none of you cared enough to vote within a few days after the poll was made.
Most of us weren't even aware that the thread existed.
[quote]it's to help the state of VGC by cutting down on spam
...how did the rep system cause any spam whatsoever
[quote]removing the numbers that are taken seriously for no reason
ugh, WE DIDN'T TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY, we took them as a source of FUN, which is what this argument is about. and besides, aren't you the one taking the "upkeep of vgc" seriously for no reason?
[quote]They weren't promised rep numbers and it's really not a huge problem if they're taken away.
in the real world, people aren't promised that they'll be allowed to walk around on two legs for their whole life, so it's not really a huge problem if they're hit by a car and paralysed, right? just because something wasn't a given doesn't mean that it's not a problem if it's taken away.
[quote]rather than avaoiding change to please a group of elite members,
hahahahaha, oh christ.
[quote]If reputation is your only source of fun then I suggest you get out more.
I have plenty of other sources of fun which you like trying to get rid of, thanks.

Posted by Iris

No one likes? no, the members who are calling the mods elitist don't like that a number that's used to determine one's superiority is being removed. Pleasing the members is nice and all, but they don't take priority when the state of VGC is so negligent and and the average post content is just an unfunny inside joke.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Klarth:
...how did the rep system cause any spam whatsoever

Case 1: LOL REP ME
Case 2: OMFG WHO DUN DE REP ME, I CRY NOW
You've seen it before man, c'mon now.

Why is everyone freaking out about numbers? I mean, honestly. That's like a new member coming here and getting excited about reaching 100 posts; seriously, that's how a lot of you are acting, as though this is some big issue actually worth bitching about. C'mon, the comments were fun as hell and those have been left intact. I don't see the problem unless you have some number fetish.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Iris]No one likes? no, the members who are calling the mods elitist don't like that a number that's used to determine one's superiority is being removed. Pleasing the members is nice and all, but they don't take priority when the state of VGC is so negligent and and the average post content is just an unfunny inside joke.

Unfunny inside jokes are in DA. The rest of the board still participates in active discussion.

Except for The Judge, who's just running around saying "I concur".

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Shin-Ra]Case 1: LOL REP ME
Case 2: OMFG WHO DUN DE REP ME, I CRY NOW
You've seen it before man, c'mon now.
No, honestly I have NEVER seen that. I don't give a flying shit when people de-rep me, and I severely doubt any of the other people raising a stink about this situation do either. Besides, I don't recall people having begged for rep since 2004.
[quote]I don't see the problem unless you have some number fetish.
In which case I hereby declare myself and everyone who agrees with me a number fetishist.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Klarth]Most of us weren't even aware that the thread existed.
Oh bull****. If you don't want to do your job and read mod board threads within a week then you don't have the right to complain.
[quote]...how did the rep system cause any spam whatsoever
It was more that we wanted to remove the restrictions so that it could become a better spam filter. By doing that, we got rid of the numbers so that it wouldn't be abused.
[quote]ugh, WE DIDN'T TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY, we took them as a source of FUN, which is what this argument is about. and besides, aren't you the one taking the "upkeep of vgc" seriously for no reason?
I didn't know it was so fun to have a 4-digit number and affect the number of others. Geez, if your argument is just that you liked the feature then I don't see why you've even been taken seriously. Rep was never meant to be VGC's main resource for fun and bringing in new members.
[quote]in the real world, people aren't promised that they'll be allowed to walk around on two legs for their whole life, so it's not really a huge problem if they're hit by a car and paralysed, right? just because something wasn't a given doesn't mean that it's not a problem if it's taken away.
Like I said, so what if it gets some people angry? That's what happens with changes. The point is that there's no reason to change it back just because there's people who don't like the change.
[quote]aha, oh christ.
no really, calling us elitists was the most hypocritical thing you've said thus far :cool:
[quote]plenty of other sources of fun which you like trying to get rid of, thanks.
Oh get of it. That's not out intent, rather it's something we're willing to sacrifice.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Klarth: No, honestly I have NEVER seen that. I don't give a flying shit when people de-rep me, and I severely doubt any of the other people raising a stink about this situation do either. Besides, I don't recall people having begged for rep since 2004.

It's not about you guys getting offended over de-repping, but mainly the whole thing is that the numbers being there was encouragement for the comment feature to be abused with repbacks and derepbacks and such. Plus, yeah, some new people would freak out about being numerically derepped, but that's hardly the reason why this is being done (even though that's basically the basis of MY argument, that's not the actual reason it was done away with)

[quote]In which case I hereby declare myself and everyone who agrees with me a number fetishist.
Well let me give you a calculator for your birthday so you can fap to it. :cool:

LAST MINUTE EDIT, SO IF YOU QUOTED THIS, SORRY.

Posted by Ant

Looks like the numbers are back. That ends that chapter.

Posted by Linkman

I'm sick of this pathetic whining, and giving into everything Darkness Advance wants. Darkness Advance is NOT the community.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It's a shame people wouldn't even give this enough of a chance to see if it'd have an impact on vgc.

Posted by Iris

Well, you know the votes of the non-mods count more than ours. The Judge for super mod '06. :us:

Posted by Ant

Quoting Iris: Well, you know the votes of the non-mods count more than ours. The Judge for super mod '06. :us:

You should direct your anger towards these people : Ant, Klarth, lameboyadvance, Linko_16, maian, Pit, Stalolin

oh shi-

Posted by Iris

votes were for the removal before Jesse changed it and was tied afterwards. :D

There's no point in yelling at them or jesse for changing it back. figures he'd give into any type of complaining.

Posted by Hyper

People are PATHETIC.

Posted by Klarth

Moral: Don't change **** which doesn't need changing.

Posted by Fate

I never looked at the numbers anyways.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Ant: You should direct your anger towards these people : Ant, Klarth, lameboyadvance, Linko_16, maian, Pit, Stalolin

oh shi-

wai who?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Klarth: Moral: Don't change **** which doesn't need changing.

I think you mean:

Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Posted by Iris

Bah. I should've suggested this hack before jesse went and changed back. :(

[URL="http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123931"]http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123931[/URL]