AIM Virus thing

Posted by Hyper

I recently aquired an AIM away message virus from a kind person who spent time making it and spreading it (many thanks dude!), so I'm wondering how to get rid of it now. What it does is it'll pop up my away message and set it as 'FREE PICS FROM THE BEACH! (link to a file that kindly infects your computer here!!).' I've uninstalled and reinstalled AIM but that didn't work. My virus program detected 2 new viruses and it denied access for them, but I seem to still be infected. Should I run my virus program and delete the files or what?

Thanks.

Posted by junior senior

[B]Oh my, I'm helping Rande out with this right now. Remember the profile virus saying "CHRISTMAS 2003 PICTURES" and "I CAN'T BELIEVE I FOUND %N'S PICTURE HERE! HAHAHAH!!"? It's just like those. IMChaos had the link to get rid of it, but not anymore.
Try deleting your screenname out of the Sign On thing. Then put it back in.[/b]

Posted by sniper

Sounds like the pictures.pif virus. I almost got caught by that before. If you can send the file on aim, I might be able to help you out. The name is sunaipakun in case you didn't know.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting sniper: Sounds like the pictures.pif virus. I almost got caught by that before. If you can send the file on aim, I might be able to help you out. The name is sunaipakun in case you didn't know.

That's the one.

So whoever decides to AIM me and gets that away message, don't be as tempted as usual to see my pictures from the beach =(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Sounds like the pictures.pif virus.

I've got that five times already on MSN, cause I don't pay enough attention. Though I've found mulitple links to delete the virus, so it doesn't really matter.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Vampiro: I've got that five times already on MSN, cause I don't pay enough attention. Though I've found mulitple links to delete the virus, so it doesn't really matter.

Link me then. I'm sure if I can find the MSN fix the AIM fix won't be too far off.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, I've seen it on msn. Annoying, really.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Link me then. I'm sure if I can find the MSN fix the AIM fix won't be too far off.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bropia.removal.tool.html

Hope it can somehow help.

Posted by Hyper

It didn't find anything =(

Posted by loony636

It is another one of those stupid things. I had it once and that put me off AIM forever... But to fix it, I uninstalled it, removed all of the files and registry entires to do with AIM, removed all files still on the computer to do with AIM, did a virus scan and reinstalled it. It worked.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting loony636: It is another one of those stupid things. I had it once and that put me off AIM forever... But to fix it, I uninstalled it, removed all of the files and registry entires to do with AIM, removed all files still on the computer to do with AIM, did a virus scan and reinstalled it. It worked.

I never would have guessed. Though I was hoping there would be an easier way.

I've already completely uninstalled AIM and reinstalled it and ran a virus checker so I think I'm good, but if it comes back, I'll do all that.

Posted by loony636

Glad I could help.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting loony636: Glad I could help.

I was being sarcastic.