looking to get into RTS

Posted by Lord of Spam

So far I've stuck to FPS as far as computer games are concerned. I do CS and I've beaten HL 1 and 2, but I kinda want to get into RTS. Problem is that my computer sucks nuts (I played HL2 on someone else's rig). So I need an RTS that is easy to learn the basics of but still fun, and also old enough that a crappy computer can handle it.

Computer in question has 256Mb of ram, a pc2100 mobo (slooooooooow), and a generic intel 1.7GHz processor. It can run games like Warcraft 3 and Half Life just fine, but struggles on anything more advanced than that (Sims 2 almost killed it, for instance).

So, cheap/free (zomg warez) old RTS games that are easy to learn on. any suggestions?

Posted by Echo

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings and the expansion (The Conquerers). Plenty old enough and still one of my favorite RTSs. I started playing RTS with the AoE series. Age of Kings has an unprecedented number of civs (especially compared to, say, Command and Conquer), but they all have the same technology/unit tree for the most part (each civ has 1 unique unit, and they all have certain techs and units disable, plus they each have different special bonuses, so there is still strategy in which one you chose) so you'll learn the game quickly.

You can probably also buy it super cheap now.

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Lord of Spam: So far I've stuck to FPS as far as computer games are concerned. I do CS and I've beaten HL 1 and 2, but I kinda want to get into RTS. Problem is that my computer sucks nuts (I played HL2 on someone else's rig). So I need an RTS that is easy to learn the basics of but still fun, and also old enough that a crappy computer can handle it.

Computer in question has 256Mb of ram, a pc2100 mobo (slooooooooow), and a generic intel 1.7GHz processor. It can run games like Warcraft 3 and Half Life just fine, but struggles on anything more advanced than that (Sims 2 almost killed it, for instance).

So, cheap/free (zomg warez) old RTS games that are easy to learn on. any suggestions?

And you were talking crap about MY computer. Dumbass. :-*

WARCRAFT III.

Posted by Stalolin

Total Annihilation.

Don't know where you'd find it though.

and also, if I get the Warcraft III Battlechest, would you be interested in playing DotA?

Posted by Poco

Buy the C and C Generations or collections or whatever. It's got all the basics.

Posted by Lord of Spam

DotA rocks me so hard it isnt funny, but I suck **** at it. Alas, I am using cracked versions of WC3, so i can only play at lans.:( I'm thinking of shelling out the cash for it though. If I do, I'll most def play you.

Posted by Klarth

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. Best rts EVER made. Ever. It gets even better with the expansion pack or one of the hundreds of mods available for it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

AvP: Extinction.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Klarth: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. Best rts EVER made. Ever. It gets even better with the expansion pack or one of the hundreds of mods available for it.

Edit rules.ini it becomes more fun!

Posted by higbvuyb

Starcraft + Homeworld 2 >>>>>>>>> all

Posted by cool gamer dad

Starcraft is the most worthwhile if you look to play a real RTS. It's cheap, will run on your computer, and there's plenty of material on the web that'd help you get better (videos of the Koreans playing the game, either replays that you can view in-game, or ones that you watch in windows media/whatever you use).

But you'd like Warcraft better if you enjoy a mix of custom gametypes like DotA and actual RTS... AND if you want to play with good players that speak english.

Posted by Apathetic

Warcraft III is good. So is age of empires. Whats RTS stand for anyways?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Real-time strategy.

Posted by Domino

Command & Conquer should get you were you need and they should run quite nicely.

Posted by Random

RISE OF NATIONS>OTHER RTS...

I love playing RTS on PC and so i've played many RTS. Haven't found one nearly as good as Rise of Nations. They have an older and a newer game out. I suggest picking up the old one with the expansion first. I've played command and conquer, Age of Empires, Warcraft... None of them compete with Rise of Nations...

Let me know if you happen to pick it up LoS. Me and some guys from work go online to play. We should definately play ^_^ It's probably $19.99 at your local EB or Gamestop.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Diablo 2 and Titan Quest.

Posted by deathadder45

lookin for good game ehh... something thats free...

how about free and online?

im pretty sure your comp would be able to handle this game...

FlyFF (flyff.gpotato.com)

Okay, I got Rise of Nations : Gold Edition, and looking forward to play this game later tonight. I'll come back and edit this post with my thoughts on the game. If I like it, you should buy it Matt, so we can game together. :D

Posted by Random

Roinks we should def play.. Infact i'm going to play Campaign as we speak.

Posted by Stalolin

I think I have Rise of Nations lying around somewhere, so I could play with you guys.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, LoS, get it NOW.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

As Klarth said, Red Alert 2 is THE BEST.

Other good RTS games are as follows:
WarCraft I, II, And III
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Command and Conquer: Generals
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II
Age of Empires
Silent Storm 2
StarCraft

Eh, by the looks of reviews, user thoughts, comments, and overall ratings it looks like Rise of Nations is the best RTS ever.

Posted by Random

Yes I honestly think RoN is by far the best. I've tried almost everyone of those that Sapphire mentioned and RoN by far is without a doubt in my mind way better.

Posted by higbvuyb

RoN is more economy, city-building based, rather than Starcraft or Red Alert, which is just focused on fighting, resources, etc.

You'll like RoN or the Civilisation series if you like the idea of doing 'Hey, will my productivity increase if I raise average wages by 2 but increase working hours' sort of thing.

You'll like Starcraft, Homeworld 2, Command & Conquer, etc, if you like battles and big explosions.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Maybe I should buy RoN. You guys would play with me, right?

Posted by Random

Of course.. We could have up to 8 players. If we can't fill 8 players from VGC, I have friends from EB Games and RadioShack that'll play.

Posted by KoH

Get Warcraft 3 or Starcraft. Starcraft was the biggest thing when it came out, but Warcraft 3 is more popular right now. That or wait till the new Command And Conquer game comes out.