Guitar Help

Posted by Axis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black]So were celebrating my birthday early tonight and Im getting my guitar. So I was wondering what would be some easy songs to learn. One of my older friends is going to come over and teach me the intro to Trapped Under Ice, or at least try to. I know how to read tabs and everything so go ahead and post tabs up.

EDIT: What the hell, where did Getti come from on the title???

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by MetalVox~55

A good song to learn for beginners getting into rock or metal would be Enter Sandman by Metallica. Great to begin with.

Posted by Ch

or what about War Pigs by Black Sabbath? Easy song.

If you want go to this link to get to the War Pig tabs
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/black_sabbath/war_pigs_ver3_tab.htm

Posted by Axis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black]Alright, thanks. I already knew how to play part of Enter Sandman. I just got done learning the beginning of Phantom Lord too.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Richaod

Paranoid by Black Sabbath = teh easy.

Basically, just start on random riffs and guitar lines and move to simple solos like Smells Like Teen Spirit or Love Is Only A Feeling. It'll take a while to develop familiarity with the frets, but once you're there, you'll be able to do whatever you want. It took me about three months of irregular playing, but I've done an extreme amount of learning on piano anyway, so whatever.

By the way, try downloading the program Guitar Pro 4, then go to [url]www.mysongbook.com[/url] - it has a huge range of tab arrangements for tons of artists - and not only that, bass, drums and often vocals as well, in files that you can actually listen to and edit. Enjoy.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Jam, play around. Try writing your own songs instead of playing others all the time. Check with an experienced guitarist if your technique is good because you don't want to get used to playing with poor technique.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Check with an experienced guitarist if your technique is good because you don't want to get used to playing with poor technique.

That's one thing I've surely missed. I prefer the "semi-vertical keyboard with strings" perspective to a lot of hand-sliding and fifths, but perhaps I'll take some lessons eventually.

Posted by G-Sides

Where Is My Mind by The Pixies is super easy. Frizzle Fry by Primus is even easier.

Posted by Axis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black]Alright so far things are coming along pretty good. The parts of songs that I do know are:
-Intro to Phantom Lord
-Intro to Creeping Death
-Intro to Nothing Else Matters
-Intro to Enter Sandman
Well, I havent been able to play that much but I think the biggest trouble Im having right now is hammering, I always screw up on it.

Other than that Ive just been coming up with my own tabs, mostly stuff like

[---------------------]
[---------------------]
[---------------------]
[-------2-------3-----]
[-------2-------3-----]
[-------0-------5-----]

Basically stuff like that, any song suggestions where it would be good to learn hammering? Or any tips on hammering in general?
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Ch

well for hammer ons i think youd be good with Paranoid as stated above. The intro has some hammer ons in them. very easy.

Posted by Hyper

First stuff I learned was basic chord strumming. Look up older songs, like Elvis's stuff.

A good song to get your timing down on is Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train. Learn the intro and practice getting it right. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana is also an easy one.