You were saying something about beat 'em ups?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote]Recently, Midway announced that the Wii would be receiving a new title in the Mortal Kombat series. The title, known fully as Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, is expected to include a roster of over 60 fighters, and will feature a "kreate-a-karacter" mode.
Many gamers have been curious as to how fighting games will work on Wii. Well, it appears that gaming site [URL="uhttp://www.kotaku.com/"][COLOR=#0000ff]Kotaku[/COLOR][/URL] may have stumbled across the answer:
The basic "concept" is that the Wiimote will control arm actions, while the Nunchaku will take on leg actions.
Light and heavy kicks, for example, will be done with the C and Z triggers on the Nunchaku. The analog stick lets you run (free roaming stages, similar to last two games). Finally, jumping is done by nudging the Nunchaku upwards.
On the other hand (ba-dum-tsh), you have light and heavy punches done with A and B. Blocking is done with the d-pad, and yes, it blocks in the direction you press.
Now, remember how in past fighting games moves were executed with a roll across the d-pad and a button press or two? Now, instead of the d-df-f style thumbrolls, you actually just point the Wiimote down and swing up to the forward position and then hit your button. This has two interesting side effects: 1) you can much more easily perform moves while running, as the controls are independent; 2) button mashers around the office are easily outed and christened with the new 'flailer' nomenclature. If you know what you're doing it apparently looks pretty cool.

Well, there you have it. We are treating it as a rumor for now, but this does seem pretty interesting. As always, we'll be posting fresh details of this game, including how you play this title, as soon as we get them.

Source: [URL="http://www.revo-europe.com"]www.revo-europe.com[/URL]

Posted by Sapphire Rose

That actually sounds like it'd be pretty cool.

If they actually do this, I'll squeal.

Posted by Ant

Eh, that all seems a bit tedious to me. Not very pick up friendly.

Posted by Bebop

Mortal Kombat. Ewww.

Posted by Lord of Spam

It does sound like it would be hard to pick up. However, I love the name "flailers" and the fact that you cant mash your way to victory anymore.

Posted by Ant

If you can't beat a button masher then you yourself must not be very good. (this goes to all people who lose to button mashers from time to time, not just LoS)

Posted by muffla

my 8yo sister used to beat me in fighting games cuz she would always button mash

this sounds really cool i was kinda disapointed that ssbb didnt use the motion sensor but this is good enough

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: If you can't beat a button masher then you yourself must not be very good. (this goes to all people who lose to button mashers from time to time, not just LoS)

There's certain games where a button-masher almost has an advantage.

Anywho, I don't know how this will turn out. I don't think I want to enter in combos that way...

Posted by Bebop

It sounds interesting, I'll give them that. But I'm worried it will be harder to learn than with a standard controller.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Cue Miyamoto coming on stage at the Leipzig game con and shouting MOOOORRRRRRRTAAALLLLL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! and nobody criticising him and everyone thinking it's cute.

That's because it is cute. He's the type of guy who can dress up as Link or be a conductor and totally pull it off. Kaz is a smarmy bastard who comes off as an ******* trying to make something **** look like a huge deal.

Plus, no one would do that because it's Mortal Kombat. Unless they were absolutely desperate, which, really, Nintendo isn't... what with Zelda and Metroid right out of the gate.

Posted by Bebop

Come to think of it I can see the Wiimote being used to add more fun to performing moves. Imagine actually having to move your hands like Ryu does when pulling of a Hadoken, and hearing the fireball leave your controller speaker and hitting your opponent.

Except that would make it easy, and no-one wants that.

Quoted post: Imagine actually having to move your hands like Ryu does when pulling of a Hadoken, and hearing the fireball leave your controller speaker and hitting your opponent.

That's essentially the new DBZ game.

I'm just waiting for the arm attachment that fits into the Wiimote for a Yu-Gi-Oh game.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Wings]Except that would make it easy, and no-one wants that.

There are few moves in real fighting that are difficult to pull off. It's all about distence, deception and making the right choices, not standing around fumbling trying to one-hit KO.

The Wii controller could well usher in a new era of fighting games, it at least has a much better chance than the archaic joypads PS3 and 360 use.

I wouldn't call the 360 joypad archaic. It fits like a glove.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Ant: If you can't beat a button mashers then you yourself must not be very good. (this goes to all people who lose to button mashers from time to time, not just LoS)

[COLOR="Yellow"]Actually, if you're good at button masher then you're really not that good at fighting games. Period.[/COLOR]

Posted by Stalolin

I would very much like to see a new Punch-Out game using similar technology.

And maybe a better fighting game than Mortal Kombat.

And we come full-circle.

Seriously, before the Revolution was even announced, I called the motion sensors, one for each hand. And used a new version of Punch-Out!! as an example.

Yeah, I rock. Bow.

Posted by Last Fog

Seems cumbersome. More of a chore than anything. The virtual console controller should be used for fighting games.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: Except that would make it easy, and no-one wants that.

I'm sure if a Street Fighter developer wanted the be able to create this they could do so without it being so easy.

[quote=Vampiro]That's essentially the new DBZ game.

Really? Reveal to me your source on this >:0

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]Seems cumbersome. More of a chore than anything. The virtual console controller should be used for fighting games.

You find down, down-right, right on a D-Pad less cumbersome than a quick short sweeping motion? Lol.

Quoted post: Really? Reveal to me your source on this >:0

Every game site. To pull off a kamahamaha (whatever) you just do the same motion you would see in the show, and bam. Various other moves are similar, I believe.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Speedfreak: You find down, down-right, right on a D-Pad less cumbersome than a quick short sweeping motion? Lol.

I do. How is moving your entire hand easier then just your thumb? And using a joystick would be easier, as well. Much faster, and not nearly as much movement to tire out your hand.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Ant: I do. How is moving your entire hand easier then just your thumb? And using a joystick would be easier, as well. Much faster, and not nearly as much movement to tire out your hand.

Perhaps this Street Fighter move isnt a good example. Take the dragon punch. Not a combo as fluid as the one mentioned which would certainly be easier to perform using hands than the buttons, which personally I could only pull off when I messed up a haduoken.

Posted by TendoAddict

The game sounds fun and all but am I the only one who thinks 60+ characters is an over kill?

Posted by Bebop

If by over kill you mean 'crap'. Then ask yourself this: Isn't the entire Mortal Kombat game library an over kill?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: If by over kill you mean 'crap'. Then ask yourself this: Isn't the entire Mortal Kombat game library an over kill?

Meh not really.

Street Fighter takes the cake IMO.

How is Street Fighter overkill? And how is having sixty plus characters a bad thing again?

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I want to see how you pull off Raiden's move where he flies superman-style into your opponent.
I think having over sixty characters is cool, as long as the characters aren't just different combinations of all the same moves.

Posted by Zeta

Here's hoping Noob Saibot and Smoke are still doing that tag team stuff like in Deception.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I don't. My brother always kicks my ass when he's Noob Smoke.
And Noob Saibot's parents must have hated him... calling him a n00b...

Posted by Zeta

Quoting GoldenMyr: I don't. My brother always kicks my ass when he's Noob Smoke.

Heh, I've played against my cousin so much that I can block against their fast special moves and stuff.
[quote]And Noob Saibot's parents must have hated him... calling him a n00b...

Noob Saibot = Boon and Tobias, the creators of MK.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: How is Street Fighter overkill?

It peaked at SF:Alpha, after that it got WAY to gimmicky for me.

OMFG I can uswe the SF1 Chun Li fighter modle and fight aginst the SF2 Chun Li Figher Modle.

WHOP DE F*CKING DO!

[quote] And how is having sixty plus characters a bad thing again?

If you can create a fighting game with 60 + characters and not have any of them be re-hashes or redundent then Ill give you props.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Zeta: Heh, I've played against my cousin so much that I can block against their fast special moves and stuff.

I can for the most part, but he always ends up kicking my ass anyway...

Quoting Zeta: Noob Saibot = Boon and Tobias, the creators of MK.

I never knew that...

Quoted post: If you can create a fighting game with 60 + characters and not have any of them be re-hashes or redundent then Ill give you props.

You do get the point of this game, right? It's called "Armageddon" because it's the final MK game to feature most of these characters. They're tossing in every single existing character so they can kill them off and start the series fresh. It would be retarded to only add twenty or so, or just the top characters.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting GoldenMyr:
And Noob Saibot's parents must have hated him... calling him a n00b...

his pare... you know he's...

I WILL END YOU.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: You do get the point of this game, right? It's called "Armageddon" because it's the final MK game to feature most of these characters. They're tossing in every single existing character so they can kill them off and start the series fresh. It would be retarded to only add twenty or so, or just the top characters.

Don't the characters die in every game? ;)

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: You do get the point of this game, right? It's called "Armageddon" because it's the final MK game to feature most of these characters. They're tossing in every single existing character so they can kill them off and start the series fresh. It would be retarded to only add twenty or so, or just the top characters.

Has their been Neer 60 MC guys? Alot of them are the same from game to game.

Anyways. While it is redundent to have 20 I cant see how 60+ will be great. But if they push the wii to the limit it should be fun.

Quoted post: Don't the characters die in every game?

Hah. Touché. But I guess it's different if they're going to completely kill them off.