Get rid of da rep system

Posted by scylla

Here's a suggestion, get rid of the reputation system. Many members abuse it & I've seen hundreds of noobs that coul've become full fledged members leave because of it. People are too **** reliant on that small modification for it to be useful. A simple warning system would do just fine.

And I'm not even putting up a poll asking people if they think the rep system is getting abused because almost everyone will want it to stay up & say "it's not being abused"

Posted by Iris

The comment feature is actually really useful. I don't care much about the numbers, but being able to leave short comments on people's posts reduces spam.

Posted by Alastor

I agree with Iris.

As for the full fledged members comment, it's pretty much sink or swim here. People think negatively of you? Shape up or ship out. Everyone's a noob at some point, but still. It's just negative feedback. Take the constructive comments to heart and ignore the rest.

[Quote=scylla]And I'm not even putting up a poll asking people if they think the rep system is getting abused because almost everyone will want it to stay up & say "it's not being abused"

Seems to me like you're just upset that yours is negative. ;)
There's actually a topic on this in the mod board right now, and everyone seems to agree that the numbers are worthless, but the comments are fun and cut down on spam at the same time.

Posted by scylla

Quoting Alastor: I agree with Iris.

As for the full fledged members comment, it's pretty much sink or swim here. People think negatively of you? Shape up or ship out. Everyone's a noob at some point, but still. It's just negative feedback. Take the constructive comments to heart and ignore the rest.

Seems to me like you're just upset that yours is negative. ;)
There's actually a topic on this in the mod board right now, and everyone seems to agree that the numbers are worthless, but the comments are fun and cut down on spam at the same time.

It's not that the negative rep I get is upsetting me I can live with it or without it, but all of the other people who make their first posts in the introduction board only to be introduced to almost nothing but flame comments left behind from the rep system.

Posted by WackoHater2

I agree with Iris and Alastor. It does cut down spam, and I like leaving people comments and boosting their rep at the same time. Nothing wrong with it.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting scylla: It's not that the negative rep I get is upsetting me I can live with it or without it, but all of the other people who make their first posts in the introduction board only to be introduced to almost nothing but flame comments left behind from the rep system.

It's almost entirely up to your grammar. If you have good grammar when you introduce yourself, you'll get a lot of positive rep. If you have bad grammar, you'll be told to gtfo and die in a ditch. You either get upset and A) leave, B) spam, C) advertise your own InvisionFree forum where people give good rep's on post's unlike us rude people, or improve. :)

Posted by Klarth

I find it incredibly bizarre that Scylla made this thread right after I de-repped him!

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Alastor: It's almost entirely up to your grammar. If you have good grammar when you introduce yourself, you'll get a lot of positive rep. If you have bad grammar, you'll be told to gtfo and die in a ditch. You either get upset and A) leave, B) spam, C) advertise your own InvisionFree forum where people give good rep's on post's unlike us rude people, or improve. :)

Are you making fun of me, Alastor? Lol.

Posted by Sterling

Keep the rep system, I'm a repwhore but I seriously wouldn't care if Jesse removes it; And yes, the comments are useful and it does cut down spam.
I vote to keep it. :cookie:

Posted by scylla

Quoting Klarth: I find it incredibly bizarre that Scylla made this thread right after I de-repped him!

Well lets set the facts here. It was a day after & you had no reason to give me bad rep anyways. No need to get defensive over that.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Panic619: Are you making fun of me, Alastor? Lol.

No, that was directed towards Bendehur/Aslan/whateverthehellhis20puppetsarenamed, with love. :cookie:

Posted by WackoHater2

Oh, alright. Because I've spammed, unintentionally of course, and I've advertised an InvisionFree board of mine before.

Posted by Alastor

Haven't we all?

Posted by Lord of Spam

No.

Also, anyone that takes the system seriously probably isnt someone who would be intelligent enough to make any real interesting contribution anyway. In fact, I would say that the fact that it filters out the idiots that take it seriously is a GOOD thing.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Lord of Spam: No.

Also, anyone that takes the system seriously probably isnt someone who would be intelligent enough to make any real interesting contribution anyway. In fact, I would say that the fact that it filters out the idiots that take it seriously is a GOOD thing.

Agreed. Anyone that takes it seriously shouldnt.

OMFG LoS lookz at ur 29 rep pwr.. givez me rep plz!

Posted by scylla

Quoting Lord of Spam: No.

Ah but your forgetting something, Jesse practically strives to get noobs like that over here, just look at his posts. After all, he made this board so that he could suggestions for the board & this will help him get those little noobies that want's to have running around the board so badly..:-D

Posted by Klarth

[quote=scylla]Ah but your forgetting something
you're
[quote]him get those little noobies that want's to have
wants

Posted by scylla

Quoting Klarth: you're

wants

Do you always keep a dictionnary at hand or what? I noticed that your a freak when it comes to people mis-speling stuf.

Posted by Alastor

The fact that someone knows how to spell correctly doesn't mean that they have to use a dictionary to do so. =/

Posted by WackoHater2

Dont pay any attention to him, he's a freakin' smart allic.

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting scylla: stuf.

I lol'd. Stuff*

It's all common sense. Why would he need a dictionary?

Posted by scylla

He always has been one, even way back in 2002

Posted by Klarth

*aleck

And besides, if you can't spell basic words like the three I've corrected so far in this thread, YOU'RE BOTH ****ING IMBECILES.

Posted by scylla

Quoting Klarth: *aleck

And besides, if you can't spell basic words like the three I've corrected so far in this thread; You're both ****ing imbeciles.

Correction there.

Posted by Klarth

...A semicolon doesn't work there, kiddo. If I hadn't said "if" at the beginning of that clause a semicolon would be grammatically correct, but it would still look pretty rough. Also, you capitalised "you're" when it wasn't at the beginning of a new sentence - please don't attempt to correct me in the future.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting scylla: Here's a suggestion, get rid of the reputation system.

er, do you have access to da Mod board???!!! Some wacko made da exact same thread there yesterday!!!! :D

er, you hardly ever post here, so why do u care about it!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by scylla

Quoting Jesse Smith: er, do you have access to da Mod board???!!! Some wacko made da exact same thread there yesterday!!!! :D

er, you hardly ever post here, so why do u care about it!!! :D:D:D:D

No, I don't have access to it. Who made that thread in the mod board anyways?

Quoted post: er, you hardly ever post here, so why do u care about it!!!

Read the first few posts.

Posted by Xenos

Some wacko.

Keyword.

Posted by XeroPercent

Does the number even matter? I just use it to commend good posts. Or express my distaste for bad ones.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Do you always keep a dictionnary at hand or what? I noticed that your a freak when it comes to people mis-speling stuf.

OH MAN, WHERE'S MY FUKKEN DICTIONARY... I DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR AND YOU'RE... SOMETHING I LEARNED IN GRADE 1. OH **** ME SIDEWAYS!

Oh boy, you're a real idiot aren't you? I totally see why this thread was made. But I like how you misspelt dictionary. I don't know if that was clever, or you just being a genuine moron.

Anywho, the rep system is fine, because it doesn't mean anything. Yet, it does at the same time. Very loosely anyways. Plus, the comments are great. It would actually be pretty cool if the rep was gone and the comments stayed.

Quoted post: ut all of the other people who make their first posts in the introduction board only to be introduced to almost nothing but flame comments left behind from the rep system.

More often than not, newbs are bombed with positive rep. VGC loves their bandwagons after all. It's a decent indicator, one that falls apart as the member becomes a regular.

Posted by scylla

Quoting Vampiro: OH MAN, WHERE'S MY FUKKEN DICTIONARY... I DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR AND YOU'RE... SOMETHING I LEARNED IN GRADE 1. OH **** ME SIDEWAYS!

Oh boy, you're a real idiot aren't you? I totally see why this thread was made. But I like how you misspelt dictionary. I don't know if that was clever, or you just being a genuine moron.

It's called sarcasticness.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=scylla]
It's called sarcasticness.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my ****ING DEAR WACKO.

It's called sarcasm. That was not sarcasm.

This is sarcasm: "Yeah, that was definitely sarcastic :rolleyes:"

Posted by scylla

Quoting Klarth: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my ****ING DEAR CHRIST.

There goes the bookworm again.;)

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Vampiro: More often than not, newbs are bombed with positive rep. VGC loves their bandwagons after all.

Very true. I found this out when I joined not too long ago.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting scylla: There goes the bookworm again.;)

Stop....just stop.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=scylla]
There goes the bookworm again.;)
Better bookworm than braindead.

Posted by WackoHater2

Actually, its would be sarcasm.. holy wacko.. did I just correct someone?

EDIT: Wacko, I was late.

Posted by Klarth

Ellipses contain three full stops each.

Quoted post: There goes the bookworm again.

No, it's a common word that, I believe, everyone over the age of four knows. I'm quite positive that a man who's never read a book in his life would be able to both spell and define the word.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Klarth: Ellipses contain three full stops each.

And that "its would be sarcasm.." doesn't make any sense!

No way, man. That makes perfect sense. He's using a clever technique of blending past and present tenses. It makes it seem so... relevant, you know?

Posted by Axis

Oh my ***! You're right! I've been fooled! :eek:

Posted by Last Fog

Seriously, I don't know of a single other place on the internet with so many people that nitpick about grammar and are quick to quote people when they make a spelling/grammer error. Not just in this thread (although I did find it funny reading all this ****), but across the boards in general.

This is an internet forum, not English class.

Apparently, it IS an English class.

Plus, everyone knows we're bandwagoners and elitists.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Last Fog]Seriously, I don't know of a single other place on the internet with so many people that nitpick about grammar and are quick to quote people when they make a spelling/grammer error.
*grammar.

I don't know a single other place on the internet where people are so ****ing stupid when it comes to speaking English, but that could be because I have exceptionally high standards when it comes to this sort of thing.

Posted by Iris

derailment wut?