Get rid of da rep system??

Posted by Jesse Smith

Think I should get rid of da rep system? It's tempting since it's just about worthless now.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Nope. It cuts down on spam because people can add simple messages to other people's posts without having to post something like "i agree" or "BS" and spam up the boards. BJ excluded.

Posted by Klarth

Nope. The comments are hugely worthwhile and add a lot of fun to the boards.

Posted by Iris

You can do away with the numbers if you'd like, but the comment feature is extremely worthwhile.

Posted by maian

I would vote no, had you not set it back to comment form.

But I love the comments. Keep them. If you ditch the rep comments, ditch rep entirely, for it then serves pretty much no purpose.

Posted by Linkman

Just get rid of the numbers. The comments part is useful.

You can easily edit it out by editing the postbit template.

Posted by Xenos

Or you can keep the numbers, but leave it in CP.

Posted by Linkman

The numbers are the annoyance, and there's no reason why it needs to be displayed, even on the User CP.

Posted by Alastor

The comments are fun. Keep those.

I honestly don't care about the numbers one way or the other.

Posted by Iris

If you do allow just comments, change it so we don't have a limit on them.

Posted by Xenos

Without numbers, there goes my advertising strategy. :( Oh whatever.

Posted by Ant

I personally like the number. Makes me fell more important then everyone else. Why are you trying to take that away from me?

Posted by lameboyadvance

I say keep it. It may not work 100% but it does help to an extent.

...What I would like to see is the ability of moderators and up to edit their own stats. :p:

Posted by Klarth

Keep the numbers. I think they make things fun for AMAZING PEOPLE LIKE ME

Posted by Linko_16

Don't get rid of the numbers. Members like scylla can complain all they want (I assume his thread is why this is even in issue), but if you ask me, pretty much everyone I've seen deserves the amount of rep they have, whether it's positive or negative.

Posted by Alastor

He made his thread the day after this was made, oddly enough.

Posted by Linko_16

Well, he can still stfu.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Linko_16]if you ask me, pretty much everyone I've seen deserves the amount of rep they have, whether it's positive or negative.
Awww, I love you too.

Posted by Iris

Still, it'd be nice if we could remove the numbers and allow limitless comments. That way you can point out if some one's a retard whenever you need without having to spread the comments first. Also, there won't be any whoring or major bandwagons. Removing the limit and the numbers would let people leave comments whenever they need, and cut down on spam even more.

Posted by Kodachi

Keep both, and make the wait shorter for giving people rep. Most of the new members like to think the number is actually worth something, so if it goes negative, they may realize they are doing something wrong, maybe?
Make the wait shorter, because I was going to rep Shin and say "I agree" but the wait totally ruined that. :(

Posted by maian

...How about keeping both, but not limiting the comments? :)

If the number is an issue, all 19 comments after the first don't have to add to it.

Posted by Klarth

I honestly think that the system's fine as it is now, but the time between being able to leave new comments should be cut down to 15 reps rather than 20. If it were just comments and they were unlimited, then the boards would become a LOT more cluttered and ugly than they are now.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Kodachi:
Make the wait shorter, because I was going to rep Shin and say "I agree" but the wait totally ruined that.

Well, you've said it now and that's all that matters. Even if it's completely out of context, me being right is always appreciated and the correct way to go. :cool:

Posted by Hyper

Don't make post commenting limitless, that'd just be abused. I don't think the numbers should stay though. Most n00bs who see it go negative just say "WELL **** THEM, IM GONNA SPAM" and end up doing just that.

Posted by Iris

Maybe not limitless, but you can only do it once to one post and maybe have to wait a day to do it to the same person, rather than spreading.

Posted by Klarth

Sooo, pretty much identical to the system we have now, yeah?

Posted by Iris

Except without the long wait and the numbers.