Should I Bother Getting a DS?

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Let's just say I have plenty of money left over from graduating highschool, and seeing as my college is fully paid for, and there's nothing else I really need. Should I buy a DS?

I stayed over my friend Lon's house for a couple days a week or so ago, and the entire time I was hooked on his DS (when we weren't Haloing, playing cards, or playing Ninja Burger) and I have got to say...it's one impressive little machine. He doesn't have many games, just Mario Kart and Resident Evil, but still, I was amazed at how well Mario Kart ran and how it stayed true to the others (very nice).

I was just wondering if I should bother getting one or not, being all expensive and such. If so, what games should I get? I was also thinking of getting a black one, makes it look more fanciful I think.

Posted by Alastor

I'd say yes. I'm getting one soon. If you do happen to get one, definitely get a DS Lite. If you're dead set on getting a black one, though, there is a black DS Lite, but as far as I know it's only available in Europe. I can't really say anything else about it since I've only played one once, but I had a blast. Go for it.

Edit: I was going to edit in a link of this neat little video review I found on YouTube showcasing the differences between the DS and DS Lite, but YouTube's dead right now. Just Google one up if you like.

Posted by vampthetramp

Yes, get one. It's great, lots of games, even more coming out. Of course, get a lite, enjoy your fingerprints if you get a black one, though.

Also, get all the big titles, you know, your mario's, castlevanias, meteoseses, et cetera. Oh, and Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center.

Quoting Alastor: I'd say yes. I'm getting one soon. If you do happen to get one, definitely get a DS Lite. If you're dead set on getting a black one, though, there is a black DS Lite, but as far as I know it's only available in Europe. I can't really say anything else about it since I've only played one once, but I had a blast. Go for it.

Is there any major differences between the DS Lite and the actual DS? I prefer things that can fit my hands and the Lite looked...rather small. Unless I'm mistakening it for another handheld.

Quoting vampthetramp: Yes, get one. It's great, lots of games, even more coming out. Of course, get a lite, enjoy your fingerprints if you get a black one, though.

Also, get all the big titles, you know, your mario's, castlevanias, meteoseses, et cetera. Oh, and Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center.

Good point about the black. I forgot how easily they mess.

And obviously I'll need all of the above. That's just a given.

Posted by vampthetramp

Look at it this way: the DSL is how the original should have been made. The original has ****ty screens, it's big and clunky, kinda ugly, the stylus is small as hell, and it just sucks when compared to the upgraded lite. If you have the choice, which you do since they're around the same price, get a lite, since you're basically buying obsolete technology with the original DS.

Quoting vampthetramp: Look at it this way: the DSL is how the original should have been made. The original has ****ty screens, it's big and clunky, kinda ugly, the stylus is small as hell, and it just sucks when compared to the upgraded lite. If you have the choice, which you do since they're around the same price, get a lite, since you're basically buying obsolete technology with the original DS.

I've only played the regular DS so far, if I can find someone or try the Lite at eB, I'll think about buying that. But still, I prefer the larger handhelds better. I always use my GBA over my GB and I love Xbox controllers compared to Gamecube and Playstation. *shrugs*

Is there any, like, playability, game, hardware, or whatnot issues with the DS compared to the Lite?

Posted by vampthetramp

It's a Nintendo handheld. Hardware issues are almost unheard of. The lite just happens to be a better system.

Quoting vampthetramp: It's a Nintendo handheld. Hardware issues are almost unheard of. The lite just happens to be a better system.

Well, what makes it a better system?

Posted by vampthetramp

I all ready told you. Screens mainly, looks, feel, weight, stylus, etc.

Quoting vampthetramp: I all ready told you. Screens mainly, looks, feel, weight, stylus, etc.

Isn't having a bigger screen better? I rarely every let my handhelds get into the position that would get scratched anyway, and like I said, I prefer larger handhelds (and I already know the weight isn't a problem with me since I played a DS for a few days) AND I like the stylus being almost pen sized.

Posted by vampthetramp

... what? scratches?

The screens are the same size, better quality, and brighter. And the lite's stylus is actually a lot bigger. Which is good. As for the weight, it's not a big deal, no. But if you play enough metroid, you'll start to feel it and hate it.

Quoting vampthetramp: ... what? scratches?

The screens are the same size, better quality, and brighter. And the lite's stylus is actually a lot bigger. Which is good. As for the weight, it's not a big deal, no. But if you play enough metroid, you'll start to feel it and hate it.

As much as I fear saying this, I hate Metroid. I felt it was the incestual birth from Mario and Mega Man. *shrugs*

Posted by vampthetramp

It was just an example. As in, if you play and games that use the touchscreen (thus, holding the system one-handed) extensively, then you'll eventually feel the weight. Unless you're a pussy, it won't be like "omg haevy" but heavier than it has to be.

Quoting vampthetramp: It was just an example. As in, if you play and games that use the touchscreen (thus, holding the system one-handed) extensively, then you'll eventually feel the weight. Unless you're a pussy, it won't be like "omg haevy" but heavier than it has to be.

Now that I now you are actually Vampiro and not some random n00b, I'll be taking what you've said into much more consideration. Vampiro is right 110% of the time after all.

Posted by vampthetramp

Apparenly I'm only right SOME OF the time these days :(

Which, is like, what, 107% or some stupid crazy **** like that?

Posted by Alastor

Actually, the stylus is bigger. I think the top screen is the same. The power switch has been moved, and is now a slider. The Lite is A LOT brighter than the original, and has adjustable brightness settings so you get the most out of your battery life. The Lite is flat, whereas the original had that.. slant to it. Not a big difference, but it's there.

Seriously, Google up a DS Lite Video Review. It'll do you good. I'd find one for you, but Gunbound calls.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting vampthetramp: Apparenly I'm only right SOME OF the time these days :(

Which, is like, what, 107% or some stupid crazy **** like that?

I think I disagreed with something you said one time. Did you like V for Vendetta?

I don't like the bigger stylus, but everything else about the Lite kicks the originals ***, though I don't like to admit it.

Posted by vampthetramp

Quoted post: I think I disagreed with something you said one time. Did you like V for Vendetta?

I did. Then I rewatched it a few times, read the comics again and realised it wasn't so great.

I found a cool three-part video review of the Lite and while I'm not excited about how small it is, I'll probably go for it over the DS.

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting vampthetramp: It's a Nintendo handheld. Hardware issues are almost unheard of. The lite just happens to be a better system.

The difference between the Lite and the original is like the difference between the GBA and the SP. Just because Nintendo released it later doesn't mean it's a better system. Basically, if you have bigger hands and want serious gaming capability on the cheap, get the original. Otherwise, you can get a prissy DS Lite (jk lol).

Posted by Klarth

Lite > DS. Stylus is larger, screens are the same size, screens are brighter, battery lasts longer, the thing's more robustly constructed, the buttons are a LOT better, and it's smaller.

And you can get it in black. Well, us Europeans can get it in black. :cool2:

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

DS Lite= <3

Brighter screen, slightly bigger screen, its not bulky so you can put it in your pocket without having a huge bulge, thicker stylus, and well....it's just over all better. :D

Posted by Klarth

[quote=VirtualRealityZone]you can put it in your pocket without having a huge bulge
Exactly! I mean, I already have ONE huge bulge; why would I need another?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Just because Nintendo released it later doesn't mean it's a better system.

In this case it does.

Posted by Pit

Quoting GameMiestro: The difference between the Lite and the original is like the difference between the GBA and the SP. Just because Nintendo released it later doesn't mean it's a better system. Basically, if you have bigger hands and want serious gaming capability on the cheap, get the original. Otherwise, you can get a prissy DS Lite (jk lol).

SP was far better than GBA. Sure it had it's problems of not having a headset jack or buttons being to close together, but the GBA had even more problems.. No lighting made certain games tedious as **** (Castlevania: Circle of the Moon), the weight and the size, it wasn't much of a handheld, and youo had to buy batteries. THe SP at least had the fold in which your screen didn't get scratched, front lit so you can s ee what you're playing, and rechargable batteries.

And getting the original DS is pointless. Both systems are priced for 130$, do th esame functions. It isn't even about you having bigger hands. Both system buttons are located the same, it isn't a difference in that sense. It's a difference in it's look, weight, size, and quality. DS Lite is just over all better. There's no question. It loooksbetter, it's more efficient, why pay 130$ for an obsolete version?

Posted by Nintendoggie

Personally, I think the DS is better. The actual system's color doesn't make you want to run away, screaming "It BURRRNNNSSS!" The DS is a bigger, in my opinion easier to hold. The stylus is big enough. Anyway, the point is to play the games, not gawk over the size or color of the system, right? They ARE the same games...

GBSP Guy: A DS? You mean an SP, with an extra screen?

DS Guy: Yeah... But they don't make those crappy 2-D games that they used to make for your system anymore. :p Haha.

DSL Guy: -falls and breaks-

DS Guy: You okay? ... I guess not...

Posted by inequity

Buy an n-gage, you can't go wrong

Posted by JRequalizer

Personally, I think the DS is better. The actual system's color doesn't make you want to run away, screaming "It BURRRNNNSSS!" The DS is a bigger, in my opinion easier to hold. The stylus is big enough. Anyway, the point is to play the games, not gawk over the size or color of the system, right? They ARE the same games...

DS Guy: Yeah... But they don't make those crappy 2-D games that they used to make for your system anymore. :p Haha.

Posted by Nintendoggie

Quoting JRequalizer: Personally, I think the DS is better. The actual system's color doesn't make you want to run away, screaming "It BURRRNNNSSS!" The DS is a bigger, in my opinion easier to hold. The stylus is big enough. Anyway, the point is to play the games, not gawk over the size or color of the system, right? They ARE the same games...

You little n00b... Stop copying me...