What weather gives off the "New York" feeling more?

Posted by Xenos

I am curious to see what you all gives off this dark "film noir New York" feeling. A rainy, cold, thundering and gloomy day in a big city or snow-filled city? Yes, I realize how weird of a poll this is, but I need it for something important.

Posted by Arcadios

Do you mean New York City?
I live on Long Island but whenever I go to the city the weather that makes it the city is basically a sunny day with partly cloudy skies and the temperature is around mid 80's.

Posted by Arcadios

I would say that rain creates a dark atmosphere in NYC.
I've been to the city when it rains and you would get the vibe that it's a dark place.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The only time I've ever been to NYC it was raining.

Posted by Kit

I've never been at all, but a lot of people say it rains a lot, so I'd go for that.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Rain, fo shizzle.

Posted by Iris

I always thought of NY as a cold, windy kind of place.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Rain. Snow has too many happy, families out in the snow making snow men BS associated with it.

edit: OH NOES ONLY ONE LINE BETTER MAKE IT LONGER LOL

Posted by Ant

The first thing I thought of was a hot humid day and the smell of p[COLOR="Lime"]i[/COLOR]ss in the air. But then again, I have a bad opinion of New York City.

Posted by Last Fog

I'm with Ant. I vote p1ss. NY is just dirty.

Posted by NES Queen

With the only choices being rain or snow, you have to go with rain. It rarely snows here, well not rarely, but not a whole heck of a lot. Mostly just a few inches in Jan-Feb. And we're wimps with the snow. At the first sign of of a flurry we all ***** and moan and no one remembers how to drive and no one wants to leave the house because of the "blizzard" outside. So if it's snowing, its not "typical" NYC.

Rain is awesome though. I was walking back from the second night of the Souls 6 night long concert and it was a torential downpour. Couldn't see more than a foot in front of your face cause it was raining so hard. But it was fun, people were still outside with their umbrellas and life just went on.

If you're looking to catch the real feel of NYC though, you gotta go with the damp subways either during or after a rainstorm in the summer (meaning any day now). When the smells of bums and pee linger in the air and the only comfort down in the hot subway station is the train blowing hot rancid air past you as it moves on to another station. If I could bottle it for you or find a way to show you how sweltering it is down there, I would.

Posted by Ch

I'd say snow gives me a more NYC feeling.

Rain gives me more of a Seattle feeling.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Rain creates a more dark atmosphere, crime and killings, a Sin City like feel...if you want to think of it that way. Snow makes you think of romance and maybe even losing someone important to you, makes you think of Christmas and New Years Eve. Not very depressing times. Both illustrate NYC pretty well in my opinion, but what I really see NYC is when I picture it, is just a dark night with a full moon. *shrugs*

Posted by Raptor

Rain = Dark, foreboding atmospheres, commonly found in action/drama films featuring detectives and cops dealing with psychotic madmen and mass bloodshed, amongst other volatile situations. Hard-falling rain achieves that effect very well, especially if it's accompanied by thunder and lightning. That scene from The Matrix where Neo is riding in the car with Trinity and company wouldn't be the same without the intense weather effects. If your crime movie takes place in Chicago at night, it had better be raining and the streets had better be **** wet.
Snow = Home Alone 2, and a whole bunch of other sappy sentimental garbage relating to good deeds, togetherness, and families and crap. Snow is just too soft and too much of a symbol of purity and innocence and holiday spirit to be very grim noir, unless it's a serious blizzard going on and you can barely see anything. See: Fargo and/or North Dakota in winter.

Posted by Klarth

Snow belongs in Chicago. Rain's right for the Big Apple.

Posted by Xero

I prefere a warm weather so I'll go for rain.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

The only time I've been to NYC, it was literally 93 degrees with 100% humidity. Because of that, all heat waves and tropical weather are now associated with NYC.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Lord of Spam: Rain. Snow has too many happy, families out in the snow making snow men BS associated with it.

Ever been to East New York. Snow ain't white, **** be stained black wit blud. Mad gangsta

Posted by Bo Dang

Rain...yeah acid rain always gives you a new yorky feeling

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm going with rain. I can't really relate to the whole "snow" thing, so rain seems more appropriate. Plus, rain is way more dark, broody, and Sin City-esque.

Posted by Kamek

I don't really know what the "film noir New York feeling" is, but as for does New York give off a more snow-ish vibe, or rain vibe, I definitely have to say both.

The rain in New York, although it doesn't rain nearly as much as I would like it to, is just gorgeous. There's nothing like being in Queens or in the city and being caught in the rain in summer. Some really pretty neighborhoods, like Kew Gardens or Forest Hills, add to the overall ambiance of the rain. Everything seems peaceful to me in the rain in New York, even if at times traffic gets jammed up, and people rush to where they want to be. That was never really me. I always took my time in the rain. There's nothing like being in Central Park, being caught in the rain, and watching the rain fall in the lake when you're at the bridge. Baseball in the street in the rain, playing home run derby with your friends, balling at the park in the rain, taking a walk with one of your close friends in time square... ahh, sometimes I just wish it rained more here. It seems like everytime I hung out with one of my close friends it always rained.

Snow is also something I'd say is very New York. Although it doesn't snow too much in the city, this past year we had a lot. And when the city is blanketed with snow, and you're in Rockerfeller looking up at that huge tree being put up after playing in the Nintendo Store everything feels really magical. I remember it snowing when I was walking down 5th avenue one night and it was so ethereal. The store lights were on, everyone was shopping, it was like straight out of a movie. The flurries just came down.

Wow, I think I really veered off topic, but in closing..

I think both rain and snow are very New York. :cool:

Posted by Pit

Quoting Kamek: I don't really know what the "film noir New York feeling" is, but as for does New York give off a more snow-ish vibe, or rain vibe, I definitely have to say both.

The rain in New York, although it doesn't rain nearly as much as I would like it to, is just gorgeous. There's nothing like being in Queens or in the city and being caught in the rain in summer. Some really pretty neighborhoods, like Kew Gardens or Forest Hills, add to the overall ambiance of the rain. Everything seems peaceful to me in the rain in New York, even if at times traffic gets jammed up, and people rush to where they want to be. That was never really me. I always took my time in the rain. There's nothing like being in Central Park, being caught in the rain, and watching the rain fall in the lake when you're at the bridge. Baseball in the street in the rain, playing home run derby with your friends, balling at the park in the rain, taking a walk with one of your close friends in time square... ahh, sometimes I just wish it rained more here. It seems like everytime I hung out with one of my close friends it always rained.

Snow is also something I'd say is very New York. Although it doesn't snow too much in the city, this past year we had a lot. And when the city is blanketed with snow, and you're in Rockerfeller looking up at that huge tree being put up after playing in the Nintendo Store everything feels really magical. I remember it snowing when I was walking down 5th avenue one night and it was so ethereal. The store lights were on, everyone was shopping, it was like straight out of a movie. The flurries just came down.

Wow, I think I really veered off topic, but in closing..

I think both rain and snow are very New York. :cool:

Ugh, here in Bay Ridge, it's lame when it rains. I mean, the buildings aren't tall at all. It's just kind aplain. However, places like, Manhattan you know :) THe rain is flaling and you have those shinny tall buildings, looks so amazing.

Also, like in a dark alley, looks eerie and cool, where you see all the fire escapes and ****, and the rain is tickling down.

Coney Island rain sucks *******.

Posted by Speedfreak

Cloudy. Just cloudy.

Posted by Kamek

I was just caught in the rain, in Central Park. The POURING rain. I just had one of the best times of my life. Just wanted to say that.

Posted by Pit

What just now? Holy **** was that awesome.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Pit: What just now? Holy **** was that awesome.

Two hours in the POURING RAIN lightning storm and all. With someone from my past, and just the events that happened, and the moment the rain started to fall and pour on us made everything so indescribable.

I'm gonna remember this day forever.

Posted by Delilah

Rain, definately. Gosh, I love it when it rains in my city....

:bounce:

Posted by Aesthetic

It's been incredibly rainy lately. Even today, it started downpouring at 6:30 AM - that made me quickly decide that my activity for the day would be to go on a bike ride through the city. I love it when it rains, and although it tends to create a "dark, foreboding" atmosphere, it can also be quite relaxing and serene.

I suppose that from my point of view, rain would definitely give off that "New York" feeling the most. Still, when it snows here, it blizzards, so ask again in the winter and I'm bound to change my answer. Eh.