Nintendo's Reggie speaketh...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Listen, all ye heathens:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/594/594834p1.html

"...we believe a stronger CPU and a great graphics card is just the price of entry."

Somewhat encouraging words for those who fear Revolution will be less powerful than sony or Microsoft's machines. If a stronger CPU and graphics card are the price of entry, logically Nintendo would be ready to pay such a price.

Posted by Bebop

Yay! Mario 128 to be shown at E3! Yayness!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Somewhat encouraging words for those who fear Revolution will be less powerful than sony or Microsoft's machines. If a stronger CPU and graphics card are the price of entry, logically Nintendo would be ready to pay such a price.

I think they really have no choice. They already have a system that may not recieve any support from third parties, and to have GC graphics while eveyone else has amazing, -next-gen ones would be suicide, IMO anyways.

Posted by Speedfreak

Being weaker than the rest doesn't mean having GC graphics, dork.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Indeed. I've already expressed my hope and expectation that the Revolution will have GAMECUBE controller ports enabling 3rd-party support for more traditional games, and since the system has recently been revealed to be backwards-compatible with GAMECUBE games, this is a sure-thing. Powerful technology will allow for no excuses.

Quoted post: Being weaker than the rest doesn't mean having GC graphics, dork.

I know that. But it definitely won't help. Believe it or not, people like pretty graphics.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't disagree, I'm just wondering where the hell you got the idea that at any point Nintendo were thinking of having the power of a GC in their next system.
It looks like you're assuming that having an ultra-powerful machine is a must for Nintendo. They could quite conceivably go for the weaker, cheaper option to save on cost and put all their money into innovative features whilst still having the power of a next-generation console.

Quoted post: I don't disagree, I'm just wondering where the hell you got the idea that at any point Nintendo were thinking of having the power of a GC in their next system.

I never had that thought. I was just stating that they have no choice but to update their graphics since Prince made it seem like it's some sort of suprise that they were going to do it.

Quoted post: It looks like you're assuming that having an ultra-powerful machine is a must for Nintendo. They could quite conceivably go for the weaker, cheaper option to save on cost and put all their money into innovative features whilst still having the power of a next-generation console.

No, I'm just saying, people want to see an improvement in graphics. No need for it be be ultra-powerful. But just as long as it can compete against Xenon and PS3. This isn't my opinion, it seems to be the opinion of the casual gamer. They really want nice graphics. It's not a must IMO, but defintely in the opinion of others.

Posted by Speedfreak

It wasn't out of the question that Nintendo would make a system that wasn't as powerful as the other machines. Power relation like the Dreamcast, PS2 and GameCube, Revolution being the Dreamcast. They'd all be so powerful it wouldn't really matter. Coupled with their comments on graphics not mattering any more, it led many to believe that they wouldn't make a system on par with PS3 or Xenon, but rather something slightly weaker with more innovation. That's where the surprise is.

I always figured that comment meant they will still have onpar graphics and power, it's just not a big concern right now. So it wasn't a surprise for me. I guess I just took it differently than most.

Posted by Shade

[quote=The Dictionary]Power: The ability to perform effectively

That being said, I would like to clear things up. In this thread many of the posts have used the word 'power' to describe the graphics a system has. This is not the case, if they can both run effectively, then I don't see why power should be used to describe the capabilities of a next-gen system. According to this definition, then the NES has just as much power as an XBOX.

The word "effectively" changes as each new generation passes. What was effective ten years ago is not effective these days. Since todays stadards for power has increased since the days of the NES, those graphics are no longer effective.

Also, skimming through all the posts, I don't see anyone refer to power as the type of graphics. Most say power as what the console is capable of. Which in turn means better graphics,

Posted by Shade

[quote]I don't see anyone refer to power as the type of graphics. Most say power as what the console is capable of. Which in turn means better graphics.

Isn't that contradictory of yourself?

The word effective, for a system to me, means that I can play the game and enjoy it, without lag.

Quoted post: Isn't that contradictory of yourself?

No, you made it seem like people are saying "wow, those graphics are powerful!". When I'm saying the console is powerful so it can produce better graphics. Maybe I misread what you said, or misinterpreted it.

Posted by Shade

[quote=Vamp]"wow, those graphics are powerful!".

Since you and Speedy were the only ones posting in the thread, I would not accuse you guys of putting like a newb.

But after your post where you said some people like pretty graphics, I took it that graphics were the main issue when discussing a powerful machine. My machine.

Quoted post: But after your post where you said some people like pretty graphics, I took it that graphics were the main issue when discussing a powerful machine. My machine.

What? They are a pretty big issue. You try working in a game store and not hear a thirteen year old complain about crappy graphics in a game with great gameplay. Kids LOVE pretty graphics. And chances are, great graphics mean a powerful and capable machine. Of course that's not the only factor, but it's one of the more prominent one amoung consumers. It's like looking at a car. Most people buy for the looks, not what's under the hood.

Posted by Shade

[quote=Vamp]You try working in a game store and not hear a thirteen year old complain.

*raises hand* Thirteen year old!

The only time I have every complained about graphics in a game with great gameplay is with Windwaker, and only because I thought that a more realistic look would have been better than cell-shading. Not to say that they were bad graphics at all.

For instance, Mrs. Pacman. The graphics aren't exactly spectacular, but it still remains as onee of my favorite games. My others are almost all GBA games. Which do not have the graphical capabilities of console games.

I didn't say all, but there are a ton who say it. It's what first attracts kids to a game. I see it constantly and it does get annoying. *Shrugs*

Posted by Shade

What first attracts me to a game, is if it was a sequel to a game that I truly found amazing. Like if they made another Golden Sun, I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if it had worse graphics than Pong.

Posted by TendoAddict

I always get tingly when reggie talks. He's the kind of guy who gives answers that dont beat around the bush and dont leave much "maybe" to deal with.

And now we know that new graphics and better cpu is just the tip of the iceburg.

Posted by Speedfreak

"With IBM, we are creating Revolution's core processor, which we have codenamed Broadway because Broadway is the capital of live entertainment. With ATI, we are developing the graphics chipset, codenamed Hollywood because Hollywood is the capital of movie entertainment."

This could well hint that Revolution will be the most powerful of all the three. Nintendo use little hints like these a lot.

Posted by protomanv4

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Indeed. I've already expressed my hope and expectation that the Revolution will have GAMECUBE controller ports enabling 3rd-party support for more traditional games, and since the system has recently been revealed to be backwards-compatible with GAMECUBE games, this is a sure-thing. Powerful technology will allow for no excuses.

The Revolution want have Gamecube contoller ports but u can use the GC Wavebird whirless controller

Posted by nich

We all know this now, this is a really old thread.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not only that, but he's wrong. It has 4 controller ports.

Posted by nich

yeah, you're right