Oh, Sony...

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060801-7399.html

It's official: Blu-Ray has sixty gagabillion times more storage than HD-DVD, and still isn't as good.

Posted by Klarth

hey wings

WHY IS THIS IN THE OFF-TOPIC BOARD OFF-TOPIC BOARDS ARE FOR THINGS THAT ARE OFF-TOPIC

thanku!

It's not going in tech, because it's more popular than that niche, and it's more content-wide than future gaming.

Posted by Fate

I don't know, I saw the Blu-Ray in action next to a HD-DVD player, and they were both on the same type of television and they were both showing the same movie. I noticed a good difference in quality.

Then again, the "average consumer" wouldn't.

Posted by Ant

Maybe Fate should go into the professional field of Quality Tester for Sony? She can see better then the "average consumer"!!!

In any case, I couldn't care about either of them. Considering I don't have an HD TV and won't have one for awhile. I think both of these are a little ahead of their time.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060801-7399.html

It's official: Blu-Ray has sixty gagabillion times more storage than HD-DVD, and still isn't as good.

HD-DVD is also cheaper...

Either way, I am not going to buy either till the dust has settled, and a clear winner is found. Until then, I am sticking with my DVD's.

Posted by Klarth

Neither format will ever overtake DVD. Consumers like what they have, and the percentage of people who actually own hi-def televisions is infinitesimally tiny.

Posted by Last Fog

I still use my VCR

Posted by Fate

Ant: Come on. I'm not a Sony fanboy or anything. I'm dead serious when I said I saw a difference.

It'll be a long time before Blue-Ray would even be considered to "take over" the market. As soon as VHS tapes stopped being made, I was forced to do a transition, regardless of how poor I was. I'm not even sure if Blu-Rays will be supported by people, so I guess we'll just have to stick around to see.

Posted by muffla

so do i once in a wjhile but im gettin gone for thosevcr/dvr so you can take a movie from vcr to dvd wile your watching it

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Klarth: Neither format will ever overtake DVD. Consumers like what they have, and the percentage of people who actually own hi-def televisions is infinitesimally tiny.
You can never tell. It was the same thing when DVD first came out. Very few people had it and it was considered a luxury. But over time VHS slowly faded out.

Regarding the 'average person' - that's the answer. If they can't tell a difference, they're not going to get the disc/player that's twice as expensive as another one.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Princess Fate: Ant: Come on. I'm not a Sony fanboy or anything. I'm dead serious when I said I saw a difference.

Hell no you didn't, you video quality elitist. HD-DVD and Blu-ray both support 1080p resolution. The difference is therefore not in the discs, but in other equipment.

And Sony ahs yet to learn that most people don't really care if something has 10% more EXAMEGAGIGABYTES. They just want to watch a movie, and if the Blu-ray drive has a stupider-looking logo and costs 90% more, they're not going to buy it.

And even people who know more about computers and need to transfer large files aren't going to fork over $90 for a Blu-Ray-RW, they're going to buy a portable hard drive that hold more data, for a small amount more.

HD-DVD >>>>>>>>>>>> Blu-ray.

This is like those people who say that vinyl gives better sound quality because it's analogue.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Last Fog: You can never tell. It was the same thing when DVD first came out. Very few people had it and it was considered a luxury. But over time VHS slowly faded out.

That's because you don't need a special TV to notice the difference in quality between the two. Plus, DVDs added menus, extra features and more playback time, whereas these new formats don't offer anything except more storage.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: This is like those people who say that vinyl gives better sound quality because it's analogue.

I kind of think so myself.

Quoting Klarth: Plus, DVDs added menus, extra features and more playback time, whereas these new formats don't offer anything except more storage.

Actually, storage is more of a side thing when it comes to these new formats.

Think what? That it does, or that this conversation is similar?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Protoman]
Actually, storage is more of a side thing when it comes to these new formats.
...So what the hell are they adding?

Picture quality. There is a marked difference between the three. However, they're coming too early, in my opinion. Not enogh people have HDTVs.

On the other side, what would be the point of getting an HDTV if you didn't have any hi-def content to watch on it.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: Think what? That it does, or that this conversation is similar?

I think that it does, although the conversation IS similar too

Quoting Klarth: ...So what the hell are they adding?

Klarth, I thought you knew about the stuff going on with this?

As Wings has pointed out, the MAIN purpose for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray coming out like this is to have a Home Video medium in HD. Yeah storage increases, but like I said, that is a side thing. If it were about storage, then this stuff would have been out a while ago.

I agree with Wings though that it's too early to think about doing something like this. HDTV here in America still isn't wide spread yet, despite all this hype. Even though prices have come down, they are still on the expensive side.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Wings]Picture quality. There is a marked difference between the three.
I would have assumed higher-resolution video would require more space, thus taking advantage of the formats' only advantage.

Thing is, without HD-DVD, what's driving people to get HDTVs? and without HD-DVDs, why do people need a HDTV? It's Catch-22.

Oh, and Proto: http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?p=333700

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Wings: Thing is, without HD-DVD, what's driving people to get HDTVs? and without HD-DVDs, why do people need a HDTV? It's Catch-22.

I saw, and I replied. :)

Anyhow I am beginning to think the HD thing is a conspiracy of some sort. They first came out with these TV's. Now the TV's alone, the drive was supposed to be Television itself. People aren't buying them though because they are expensive. Now they are pushing home video formats. Why all this push? The consumers are supposed to drive the market, not the other way around.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Hey guys, I just saw a HUGE difference between 1080i and 1080p in best buy today. IT WAS GREAT!

Anywho, this **** is lame. Who buys this kind of stuff right when it hits the shelves? Everyone knows you should wait a good year or more.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Wings: Thing is, without HD-DVD, what's driving people to get HDTVs? and without HD-DVDs, why do people need a HDTV? It's Catch-22.

Not really. Many cable and satellite television channels are broadcast in HD.