Saint's Row

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Demo on Live Marketplace as I'm typing this. GTA clone or improvement? You tell me.

Not available to Germans or Mexicans, for some reason.

Posted by Axis

I'm downloading it as I write this. I just got home from work for a lunch break, so I'll doubt I'll be able to download it, play it, and give you impressions within' an hour. So you'll probably have to wait until 6 CST tonight before I can give any impressions.

That's the problem with my net connection. Downloading anything from Live takes ages - the Prey demo was like three hours. Ugh.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, it took me at least and hour for that. :(

Anyways here's the quick scoop of impressions I've gotten from other people:

-Some people are having fun with demo, others are hating it.
-Some think it's a huge step backwards from GTA.
-Combat system is not as good as GTA.
-Graphics are terrible.
-Constant tearing on the screen (Think Moto GP).
-Core gameplay is fun.
-Slow framerate.
-One guy however, who works with developers says he's played the final build. He says there isn't any tearing or slow framerate. (Take this part with a grain of salt, he says there is going to be Halo 2 type matchmaking)

Overall not many people are liking it.

EDIT: As I read on, I'm seeing more and more people say that they're enjoying it. The framerate issues and everything weren't there on the Retail demo, must be a Live problem.

From the screens I've seen, the graphics don't look terrible at all. The tearing is to be expected with a demo like this, although I'm surprised they released it with such a bad glitch, especially if the final build doesn't have it. And, of course, it's always going to be a pretender to GTA. :p

Posted by Axis

Any questions you want answered? When I play the demo tonight I'll be sure to find out for you or anyone else has any.

Uh. Mainly what it plays like. I'm having a friend round with his 360 once the Dead Rising demo's out, so I'll know first-hand then, but yeah. Give me your impressions, really.

Posted by Axis

Ok, so finally got the time to play the demo. Here's how it went:

Started up the game and the first thing it takes you to is a customazation screen. You can customize your character from their mustache to how their cheek bones are, etc. Definitely something that I wish was in GTA. It's just as in depth as Oblivion's create-a-character, although it probably has a little bit more. The graphics in the game I thought were going to suck, but they are actually pretty good. Sure it's nothing mind-blowing or anything but it's better than PDZ. Character models are a little bit better than the ones in Condemned and PDZ, the buildings in the game are well done and the cars look pretty nice. (Don't expect PGR3 cars :p). Now for the gameplay, and here's what I decided: That so far I'm liking this better than Grand Theft Auto. The gameplay may not be that far better (I'll explain gameplay in a second) but there's just little features here and there that is making me like the game more. When selecting a weapon, for instance, you just hold the B button and a wheel comes up and you just use the the thumbstick to scroll around and select a weapon. Camera is definitely better in this game, the aiming I like better, etc. The core gameplay I find really fun, just as fun as Grand Theft Auto, which is a good thing. Oh, and this game in a LOT more mature than GTA. There's cussing all around M-Fcker, etc. In a job for the demo you have to go pick up some whores and return them to a brothel, and while you pick one of them up they say "I'm not giving you a blowjob on the way back," and other stuff like that. This game definitely has the whole gangster feel to it and everything, something that the blac-err, minorities will sure enjoy. There seems to be a LOT of stuff that you can do in this game on the side, like go into places and get something eat, buy guns at a shop, etc. So overall I would say that I really enjoyed the demo and may pick this up and the end of the month.

Oh something I else I liked is that your enemies will actually use doors, desks, anything than can to protect themselves and give them the upper edge.

It does seem very GTA-ish. A lot of the stuff you mentioned is in SA. I do like the weapon system, however.

I'll see when I get my 360 on Friday. I played SA to death, so I'm intrigued to see how it holds up.

Posted by Last Fog

Hey guys I played this demo a week ago. You can tell if you'll just notice [URL="http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=15791"]the thread listed right below this one that I made with the same title[/URL]. :grrr:

You ask if it's a GTA clone or an improvement? Simply put, it's both. Everything about the game screams GTA. But the details are far greater, and obvoiusly the visuals. I love the ragdoll. The full car and character costumization (not present in the demo) really puts it a step above GTA.

Axis you mention poor graphics and framerate? The graphics to me are impressive and I found next to no framerate issues. Maybe minor hitches here and there but thats common in a demo. The final build should fix these little problems. The demo is however very glitchy in a number of ways, like your car will get stuck on poles.

Overall, very enjoyable and just a fun game. I liked it.

Posted by Axis

Actually if re-read my post I didn't say that the framerate or the graphics were bad, I was talking about impressions from other people. When I played the game I didn't notice that stuff either.

I played it yesterday. Poor, poor animation, and I hate the fact that it's a silent protagonist. I can't feel any connection with the characters or their mission - there's none of the theatrical flair that Rockstar put into their efforts.

I like the fact that cops show up on your radar - I don't like how they show up the same colour as gang members, but hey - it's useful if you're on the street. I can't count the amount of times I've been playing GTA and jacked a car and got a star because there was a cop behind the camera or something.

I don't like the way it holds your hand through the mission. It means you don't get to know the city at all. You're just looking at the map constantly. And the controls for the car needs to me moved to the triggers, because it's impossible to aim and drive at the same time. Aiming on foot isn't bad - better than the lockon system of GTA, but only by a hair, and only because sometimes in GTA it locks onto the wrong thing.

To be honest, this is even more of a GTA clone than True Crime was, just without the flair. It feels like GTAIII with better graphics.

All in all, I'm not that impressed. I haven't hoticed the tearing, but I thinkk I'll just wait for GTA4. I found the demo highly frustrating, especially the hopping way that he walks.

Posted by Bebop

I saw the advert for this on my television magic box. It was actually nothing more than pimps blowing up police with rocket launchers.

Posted by Fate

It makes me want to play San Andreas more. I never finished it.

Posted by Klarth

Saw a trailer on TV and watched some gameplay footage. Looks like a horrible San Andreas knockoff with ridiculous pimp hats, overly-saturated colours and not-so-great graphics.

Posted by Last Fog

Everybody's so bitter that its a GTA clone. I pre-ordered it and got it launch day and its a blast. Its a good game, regardless of it being a knockoff. The multiplayer is garbage though.

I downloaded the demo again to play. It really is awful, guys.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I see nothing awful about, except how crude it is and how blatantly it rips off GTA. Which, really, isn't even that bad. It's a good rip-off that actually improves certain areas and the crude writing is actually kinda funny.

Posted by Tysis

There are no motorcycles, which may be a ruse to add them later so we will buy the package with xbox bucks.

I don't mind how there aren't going to be any helicopters or planes; this is a gang-life Sim, not GTA (Vehicle driving sandbox). But there should at least be motorcycles. If they dont make us pay for them they will definately add them in some update though.

Overall, it's better than GTA, but that being said, GTA4 will make their game much batter than this one. Although this game isbetter feature wise, GTA will never be beat just because it's exactly that, GTA.

Meh, bikes can't just be added to the game with an update. There's all sorts of things to consider - do they get stuck in small gaps in buildings, do they make certain levels that were previously quite hard really easy, along with a whole new form of collision detection and snap points for the characters. If it was an update, it'd be a bloody huge one.

Posted by inequity

I finished this game last week, I thought it was great. I didn't like how there were barely any ramps to jump off and the size of the city was pretty small. But, the activities are pretty challenging and fun. The only good thing about multiplayer is the "protect the Pimp" game. Other than that, multiplayer is trash.