End of E3?!

Posted by Klarth

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3538&Itemid=2

This article seems to say so. Please, PLEASE let this be bull**** - How can companies afford to NOT be present at the expo every year?!

Posted by Axis

I wouldn't count on it. I've read somewhere however that they will be moving to a smaller location for the expo next year.

Posted by Random

Theres no way in **** they'd cancel E3.. They just can't!!

Posted by Bebop

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond/

says it too. Thing is if it's downsized and moved it could eventually get too small and cancelled. If theres a lack of investment now it may not get better.

Posted by TendoAddict

**** this, E3 was gaming christmas. Now its ESA plans to make it gaming christmas a gaming mothers day.

All I hope is that this E3 resizing will atleast keep it fun. But Im hard pressed to belive this.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. This won't be the end of a gaming expo for America every year, for example. Even though E3 might not be happening again, in different areas there's loads - there are two GDCs, for example, the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival, which is open to the public, and so on.

I can see this opening more expos to the public rather than developers. At the moment, E3 only really gets attention from the people that are already interested, and that's why there isn't a significant profit. Once people start going to have a look who aren't in the industry, then you expand your market.

Besides, I'd love to go to something like Space World without having the distractions of other consoles. At E3 you apparently always feel like you're missing something while you're at something else.

Posted by Bebop

Is Spaceworld still on? I though it was closed because Nintendo opted for E3.

Except if E3's not happening any more, what do you think they'll do? Think.

Posted by Fate

I don't really care about E3. TGS is where it's at.

Posted by Klarth

Nintendo's not showing this year, though. :(

Posted by Malevolence

This is quite shocking, actually. I thought it'd get even bigger due to the amount of people going each year. Go figure.

E3 will survive; it just won't be the massive world-breaking expo it once was. Media-facing rather than industry-facing and low-cost for exhibitors.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3538&Itemid=2
http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3546&Itemid=2

I, for one, think this could be a real boon for independent developers. Tycho over at PA has a nice little editorial on it, too.
[quote]All it really means for gamers in general is more news more often, outside of arbitrary dates. I knew a Jehovah's Witness named Hannah in gradeschool, and after learning that she didn't celebrate birthdays or Christmas as the rest of the class did I imagined her life a miserable parched desert, barren of gifts. She looked at me like I was an idiot and informed me that she got presents all throughout the year.

If you thought I couldn't tie Jehovah's Witnesses into this ****, well, you were wrong.

There must have been a time before there was an E3, but that's not really a part of my experience. Hearing that it's cancelled, or at any rate will be altered in "format and scale" (read: cancelled) is like hearing that Australia has been cancelled, or that the weak gravitational force is being temporarily suspended.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I'm fine with this. This past year's admission price seemed to say:

There's no way that E3 should cost everyone involved as much as it did. I look forward to the return of Nintendo's Powerfests in the wake of this announcement, myself.

Did you guys ever get in on the back of Smitesoft?

Nah, we used my cousin's consulting business when we went back in '01. That was really the awesomest show of them all, I say, anyway. GAMECUBE was playable for the first time anywhere, and I kicked much ass on the Smash Brothers Melee demo.

I remember playing against people when the WaveBird was released. I went to Stuff Live in London, had one way over the other side of the room, and was kicking everyone's *** on a giant projector screen. Some people thought it was just really smart AI or something.

I was going to go this year using my own legitimate business this time (see signature), but as my topic from the time stated, admission was a whopping $500, as opposed to the $150 that it was back in '01. I hope if they do bring back the Powerfest, admission is high enough to keep the families of rednecks out, but low enough that I can go. I fondly remember waiting in line for only ten minutes to play Zelda II, Solstice, and Maniac Mansion, since the exhibition center for the Powerfest was almost as big as E3's entire main showroom. Those were the days.

Posted by Linko_16

It's definitely depressing to hear about something like E3 burning out; it's like when your favorite local diner you used to visit as a kid has to close down. Something nostolgic and sentimental that you loved and assumed would always be there, yet now it'll be nothing but something to tell your kids. But I guess it'll be okay, what with all the other expos mentioned.

Posted by powerpuff

man thats some old bull****

Posted by s0ul

On one hand its depressing, but on the other, 20 years down the line we can tell whippersnapper gamers about the video game FESTIVAL and they won't believe us. Wooo!

Posted by TendoAddict

I think fans in the end take a hit. It sounds like E3 will be a suit and tie gathering of business men and journalist.

Oh great we get more "info" Doesnt replace the feeling people got by going to E3.

Posted by Speedfreak

...this makes no difference to people who have never been to E3 as far as I can tell. We'll still get live feeds, we'll still get videos, we'll still get news. We just won't get big pointless extragavant displays and massive crowds of people. It's just a bit of streamlining.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak: ...this makes no difference to people who have never been to E3 as far as I can tell. We'll still get live feeds, we'll still get videos, we'll still get news. We just won't get big pointless extragavant displays and massive crowds of people. It's just a bit of streamlining.

And what about the people who do (did) go? It was special to them. Fans got to go to see it for them selves , to through a computer or TV. Or people who like the play it themselves and say they like it rather then taking gamespots word for it.

IMO they should split E3 in two, one for more business ends and one for the fans. I just dont think an industry meeting for a industry like video games should have no joe smoe fans.

Well, look at what Nintendo did for E306. Massive plasma screens lining the walls of the queue, projection screens, etc. Look at the massive thing that EA did. I can't see how that would turn a huge profit.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Wings: Well, look at what Nintendo did for E306. Massive plasma screens lining the walls of the queue, projection screens, etc. Look at the massive thing that EA did. I can't see how that would turn a huge profit.

The massive amounts of advertising they get out of it, and exceitment built up for games that won't be coming out for months way in advance I think makes up for what they had to spend on all the expenseses for the show itself.

But they don't make any money from that. They make money from the final sale of the games/system. And it doesn't even out.

Okay, maybe Nintendo was a bad example. But for everyone else, it doesn't match.

You're right, Wings. No one but Nintendo has the ability to cause massive damage in their impact at E3. Even giving away $599 US dollars to each attendee couldn't have won sony any love at this last one. How many other obnoxious quotes can I cram into a giant enemy crab?...Riiiiidge Raaacer!

Posted by The Legend of Me

I dont mind, I didnt like last years E3 thanks to G4.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=TendoAddict]And what about the people who do (did) go?

Fuck 'em, E3 was never meant for them in the first place. It's supposed to be a trade event, not a big nerd party.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak: Fuck 'em, E3 was never meant for them in the first place. It's supposed to be a trade event, not a big nerd party.

Yeah your right. I never even been to E3, most of it was articals and video's. Aslong as they still have that I should be ok.

Im just hoping it doesnt become a suit and tie snore fest. A indusrty for a thing like vidoe games should have some flair to it even if it will be limited to buyers and journalists.

It'll all be up to how the media covers the stuff that the industry gives them, TendoAddict, as opposed to how much the industry spends on booths.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Speedfreak: Fuck 'em, E3 was never meant for them in the first place. It's supposed to be a trade event, not a big nerd party.

But the people who do go are people associated with the video game industry arent they?

Posted by powerpuff

What happened to you Speedfreak,you used to be cool.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bebop]But the people who do go are people associated with the video game industry arent they?

Everyone on this forum is associated with the game industry, doesn't mean a thing. All they're doing is being stricter on who's let in. Game devs can still get in, journalists can still get in, people who just own blogs with a modest readership can't.

Posted by maian

Meh. I don't really care. As long as they establish a way to show all their new crap, I'm fine.

...It will be sad to see the huge event go, though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Eh, there was too much to pack into five days. It's probably for the best, for everyone.

Posted by Echo

Doesn't bother me since I never went. However, this should mean that [URL="http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/index.php"]PAX[/URL] will be bigger (they already posted saying that since the announcement of E3 being stricter, more developers have wanted to be represented at PAX), and that's an event I can actually go to.