Hate dial-up

Posted by Phantasma2

[COLOR="Black"]Now when I connect it says:[/COLOR]

Quoted post: One or more requested network protocols did not connect successfully.
TCP/IP CP connected successfully.

IPX/SPX or compatible CP reported error 781: The connection
was terminated because the remote computer did not respond in
a timely manner.

[COLOR="Black"]Now it runs at 45.2kbps and I want the full "power" of that ****ing dial-up.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]Any help?[/COLOR]

Posted by WackoHater2

Dial-up sucks big time. I used to have it for the longest time. I have DSL now. It could be better.. but it kills dial-up.

Posted by Phantasma2

[COLOR="Black"]Well, turns out I'm getting Cable or DSL.

But I would still like help in case I don't get DSL or Cable.[/COLOR]

Posted by Boner

I haven't dealt with dial up in so long that I wouldn't even know what to suggest (other than the obvious 'get cable').

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Phatasma]Now it runs at 45.2kbps and I want the full "power" of that ****ing dial-up.
I do hope that you realise you will never receive the full 56K on dial-up modems, mostly due to the fact that speed is reduced based on the quality of your telephone line. The better the line is, the faster your connection will be and vice versa. Modem type, network load (on the ISP), server loads and the ISP's own hardware will also affect your connection speed. Additional to this, the FCC placed a restriction upon dial-up modems to a download at a maximum of 53K. On average you will connect at about 48K or less. When I used to be on dial-up, my connection rate used to fluctuate a bit and sometimes be as poor at 26K or 32K, without any changes to the system what-so-ever - other days, or even the next connected session, I would have a much higher connection rate.

Posted by Phantasma2

Quoted post: I do hope that you realise you will never receive the full 56K on dial-up modems

[COLOR="Black"]Yeah, I do realise. I meant full power as in, those 52.2kbps.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]But yeah, I'm getting DSL or Cable this week so I guess I'll stick with that problem until I get that DSL or Cable.[/COLOR]

Posted by Prince Redon

Ok I don't feel like making a new topic, so I'll just ask here.

I'm about to get rid of dial up myself. The only reason I have dial up is because my father pays for 2 lines, 1 for the phone, 1 for the internet. Here recently he's realized what I've been telling him for the past year, you can get rid of dial up and use the internet while being on the phone, so why have a second line...It took him seeing a DSL commercial to realize that.

My question, what is the best company I can go with? He's willing to pay up to 30 dollars month, and wants to know what the best hastle free, fastest, and most efficent company we can go with. Anyone know of any?