Betterman

Posted by boomstick

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this, I know it had a brief run of Anime Unleashed back when G4 was worth a ****, but I never seem to hear about the series much.

I happen to pick up the boxset for very cheap and I was very surprised on how good it was, very nice, interesting plot, well done characters and also it pretty much explains all, it leaves nothing open and ties up all the loose ends very nicely.

Anywho, good lesser anime series I would recommend checking out.

Posted by Fate

What's it about?

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Wikipedia: Betterman is a Japanese animated television series begun in 1999, created by Sunrise's internal "Studio 7" under the direction of Yo****omo Yonetani. It revolves around the psychological and emotional consequences of the main characters due to the threat of "Algernon,” a mutation in the brain which causes an accelerated alteration in the sensory, neural and nervous faculties. Those subjected to the phenomenon become violently hostile and suicidal, while showing traits of a hive mind collective with those who share the disease.

The protagonist of the series, Betterman, is a life form of superior physical and mental capabilities via adaptation of 'seeds'. Through the resulting consumption of these plants, Betterman can metamorphose into situational combat forms, his default being the humanoid "Betterman Lamia." Each transformation allows Betterman to attain distinct physical-, psionic-, and mobility-related abilities.

Got that at Wikipedia, very good description of the anime, also to those who may be interested, Algernon is actually named after the book Flowers for Algernon

Posted by Fate

I got that reference, which totally makes me want to buy the whole series now. :)

Posted by boomstick

Yea, I just happen to find a non-bootleg copy very cheap on ebay, I can't say alot of the boxset prices you see on most sites are worth it, but it's still a good series and I'd definately recommend.