New Sonic game announced

Posted by Bebop

Or should I say, new [url=http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8435]Shadow[/url] game announced.

Let the fanboyish squeels begin.
I'm not sure what i think about Shadow using guns and will be suprised if it isnt appearing on GC considering it all omg.

Heres some more info too. http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/08/news_6120012.html

It seems Sega has responded to feedback from fans. I'm gueesing the same fanboys who say "omg fgive shadow his own game" alos said "omg give him a gun lol" and porbably have said "omg put Sonic with teh Megaman in teh new SSBM!11!one!"

Posted by Izonik

Heard about this a while ago, and it looks stunning.
And wait until you see the poster! (a twisted-looking Shadow holding a pistol)

Posted by Madame Flurrie

I must say, the idea sounds extremely fanservice-ish (didn't we already try giving an established character a gun in FFX-2?), but the game actually looks kind of fun. It seems like it might be like the Sonic/Shadow levels in Sonic Adventure 2, which is a good thing. A straight-forward fast-paced platformer could be just what the doctor ordered for the series. As much as I do love Adventure 1 and 2 and Heroes, the big complaint about them is that there's just not enough old school Sonic style in them, and this might be more true to the series' roots. Of course, we'll just have to wait until there's more information.

I can definately see this on the Gamecube, though. Even with a gun, it's a Sonic game. It can't be too bad, can it?

Posted by orange echidna

I just heard about this game a few minutes ago. I'd like to give it a try. It's a Sonic game and anything with Shadow in it can't be too bad. Shadow rocks! Plus he has a gun! I don't know why but it reminds me of Nack the Weasel. ( probably just because Nack has gun and Shadow is carrying a gun in this game) anyway... I would really like to try this game.

Posted by Corrupt

When I first heard about it, I wasn't expecting to see or hear anything special about it... but after watching the trailer for the game, I soon changed my mind. It was downright impressive, and not to mention pretty bada[b][/b]ss. I've never been a huge Shadow fan myself, but the fact that he's the main character in this game makes him appeal to me a lot more. The thought of him wielding a gun seemed awkward at first, and... it still does. :( It sounds and looks very tantalizing so far, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it and getting my hands on it this fall.

Posted by Arczu

Geez. I don't know what to expect from this one. Breaking away from the chain of Sonic games, and giving Shadow some spotlight... very clever...

Can't wait to see which direction this goes.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, it should prove interesting. I'll have to watch the trailer later.

Posted by Ant

Hmm, looks interesting... Although I don't know why they got rid of Sonic...this seems like it has some potential. As long as they don't really mess things up and try to rush production of it, thing should turn out fine. I've always like Shadow, not as much as Sonic, but hopefully this will turn out good. *** I hope it does...

Posted by Linko_16

Plot-wise, Shadow's probably the most interesting character of the Sonic series. Is that why he's got a lot of fans? Of course not. It's because he's a "Dark Side" bad-@#$ sort of guy whose fur is black. I never had anything against Shadow as a character, but it's easy to get tired of his fan base. I'm hoping this won't be "Let's spit out this game with Shadow starring because fans will buy it. It doesn't actually have to be any good."

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Something I posted somewhere else:

This game is gonna flop (greatness, not sales). It's only for the fans, so chances are it's going to be half-assed. And there's something about a DMC shooter element in a Sonic game that just doesn't sit well with me. As much as I was expecting this game, I'm a little disappointed that it's being made. I predict another crappy sonic game will be added to my collection, and I don't like it...

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I saw the trailer and I have this to say:

Sonic needs to go back to 2D. Badly.

Posted by goku262003

http://boards.sega.com/sega/viewtopic.php?t=32216&sid=db0abc3813bbd7739de55ddf9d936c2b

there proven the gun is just a powerup u dont need it :mad:

Posted by Corrupt

There... the threads have been merged.

And actually, I am very glad that you don't need to use the gun in the game. I just can't imagine any Sonic character wielding any kind of weapon, really. That's good news.

Posted by Dragon X

I dont like the idea of using a gun...but the game does look fun

Posted by Arczu

While the weapon may not be necessary, it certainly was promotionalized in the previews.

Posted by Corrupt

Yeah, probably because showing Shadow wielding a gun would appeal to a lot more people. Showing Shadow without a gun just wouldn't be COOL, now would it? *sighs* But, nevertheless, it's at least worth renting and worth checking out.

Posted by Dragon X

I wonder what the storyline is. In the prewiew it said you deside whether shadow is a hero or villian

Posted by Bebop

I'm sure it just said "is he hero or villain?" in some sort of cliche way to make his motives and storyline a mystery.

Posted by Dragon X

Arrg..............I want to know what the story line is!

Posted by Corrupt

Yeah, that's when the nifty little thing known as "patience" comes in.

Posted by Arczu

Then you put it together with some "hype"... yeah, that's the ticket.

But seriously, what possible direction could this game go in? Fans of Shadow will flock to this one, but you gotta wonder...

Posted by dark_zero

they're going to give shadow a ****ing rocket launcher

Posted by Pit

Actually, when I first saw ths game, it appealed as straight up crap. It's bad enough that the last 3D sonic games sucked and now they're giving a cartoony character holding a gun. It doesn't look right, it looks as it won't play right, and Sega isn't trying anymore. Make a 3D sidescroller for the love of God.

Posted by Linko_16

A 3-D Side-scroller didn't work too well for Mega Man. Besides, if it were 3-D, they'd probably work in Sonic's Homing Attack from the Adventure series. It'd kind of ruin the old-school feeling one would look for in side-scroller.

Know what'd be nice? If they took advantage of the current console generation's ability to produce high-resolution sprites and really return to their roots. Using one hundred percent 2-D is not a step backwards at all. I think it'd be interesting to see them use that style, but continue to work in a plot as they had with the Adventure series.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Akira Kazama: I have a lot of sonic games

Wow, thanks for your contribution to this thread!

Posted by Arczu

I know that the 3-D Sonic games seem to suck the big one compared to the side-scrollers, but anybody who was willing to forgive that concept may moderately take joy in the game.

A 3-D sidescroller would be original, but seem limiting unless it was a mini-game. I think this game is going to send a lot of Sonic fans AWOL from future titles, and drag in tonnes of Shadow fans. This is... a sorta-hypothesis I'm forming here.

Posted by Pit

Mini game? Why not a full game. I mean, look at smash bros. It's a sidescrolling fighting game that uses 3D models than rather 2D, same goes as with Viewtiful Joe. The reason I say sidescroller is because Sonic games suck in "real 3D". I don't want one where you can roam, but one where you move in left and right and still have the graphics of the Sonic games that are 3D.

Posted by sabre

I'm hoping this won't be a "hay guys, let's make a bad game and trick people into buying it by putting shadow onto the front!!" kinda deal, and will actually be an original game. The fact that they're making the lead character someone different means that I'm anticipating either an original and interesting (or at least experimental) game after all the... less good ones, or a highly rushed attempt at cashing in on shadow's popularity. Let's hope it'll be the first.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I really think that giving Shadow a gun would alienate more Sonic fans than would draw them in.

Then again, I really think that SA1 and 2 gave a real sense of speed. So what do I know.

Posted by Arczu

The Sonic Adventure games give most characters a run somewhere, sonic more often. But when he has to stop running, then there are usually problems. And SA2's premise of "it is possible to run through some action stages non-stop" certainly kept me entertained for awhile.

Actually, tons of the problems were in the exploring element of the game. With Knuckles, you would fight with the camera a tiny bit, and have to dig at just about the EXACT coordinates where the piece is (I know a lot of people who spent 5 minutes on a level digging in the red zone of where a emerald is. It's baad).

This new Shadow game has a big omen hovering around it. The question is: is it good or bad? A part of it is looking bad as it stands now, but there is a ton of hope in there.

Quoting Arczu][size=4] sword. I wonder if they'll find a way to utilize that for a bunch of puzzles.
Oh, and Pit? If they thought that they'll never win in the inovation department, why would they keep on going with the innovation? Anyway, I see you guys don't know much about it, so I'm saying some stuff: I think it'll have about 50 missions, and I believe, from what a friend told me, because it has Shads using a gun, well, I think my friend said ESRB's making a new rating: 10+. Bet they'll change it to "Preteen" or whatever, as some people consider you a preteen when you're 10. But, hey, who knows the details that much.

Oh, and if you guys know this via Bebop, the starter of this thread, sorry, I'm ignoring him. So don't say, "HEY! DUMBASS!! WE KNOW THIS'LL HAVE 50 MISSIONS SO BAN BAN BAN!!!1!!one!!" -_-Gah...Okay, so, I'm gonna keep tabs on this game. Should come out alongside Zelda 2005...

Posted by Golden Archer

If this is true....OMG WOOT SWEET SHADOW OWNS SONIC..sorry..im a serious Shadow fan ^^; look at shadow plushie and shudders...

yeah, the new rating is E10+... I have no idea what it'll help though, as no-one ever pays any attention to them. least of all the so-called 'responsible' parents.

Posted by Golden Archer

Well, since the almost doomsday of video game, we have to have ratings and i believe if you look underaged in what the game rates, the retail store has to warn you.. the same thing happened with me and Halo2.. still i got it

The store has to warn you if you look underage, and if you can't prove you are, they can't sell it to you. At least, that's how the BBFC ratings work over here, but they are rarely applied - usually it's only to games like GTA or Resident Evil. The PEGI ratings (similar to the ESRB ones) are mroe of a guideline, but retailers are generally good and adhere to them quite strictly.

However, no kids pay attention to it, because... that's just their (our?) nature. And too often I've seen a parent buy an 18 rated game for their 13 year old.

I was in GAME (English equivalent of EBGames) on San Andreas' release date, and a mother was buying it for her kid. The retailer said 'I have to warn you, this game has scenes that may be unsuitable for your child.'
'Yes,' she said.
'It has prostitution and extreme violence, as well as racial slurs and that kind of thing.'
'I know... but he WANTS it, you know?'

The customer is always right, my ass.

Posted by Darkbackward

Of course the "death of sonic" and "rebirth of sonic" fans have fled in, but lets look at this realistically.

This will be another 3d sonic game, something that will appeal to some and turn off others. That is what sonic adventure 1 and 2 and heroes did. And this is what this game will probably do. This game still has the potential to be really bad or really good. But I'm taking the safe route and choosing to say that I will like this game because I generally like 3d sonic games, even though they are much maligned by "fans".

The thing is, Sonic started going downhill ever since you had to play as more than one character. In SA2, I found myself waiting impatiently for the Sonic/Shadow levels. Sonic Heroes was a joke. Wisely, in SA1 there were more Sonic levels that others, but still - it grated that I had to spend time FISHING. :p

I think this is Sega trying to breathe new life into the franchise - now, they actually have a reason for separating one character from the rest, giving him his own story and full game. this is, in a sense, the first 3D Sonic game that remains true to the franchise (no, Sonic 3D doesn't NOT count as it wasn't speed based, despite being amazingly good).

Posted by Arczu

[Quote]Originally Posted by Wings
Wisely, in Sonic Adventure 1, there were more Sonic levels than others, but still - it grated that I had to spend time FISHING.I did not like that either, or the fact that you could LOOSE A LIFE if your line snaps! Fishing fans may have enjoyed that a bit, although I doubt there would BE any...

If this new game is one of those "Superior hype with hollow core" types, then Sega Team had really, REALLY better get some brainstorming started. It's got a lot of potential, and that's good or bad. I mean, the fact that Shadow can use a gun is cool, but it could be subtracting from the speed element (all instances of Shadow using it had him standing still or in a mid-air stopped position).

Posted by FerreTrip

Hey, in the beginning of the trailer I saw, he was air-skating and shooting at the same time.

Posted by RAHU

I have nothing against Shadow, but i think Knuckles should have a 3-d game to. I just wish they didn't give shadow a gun. I also hope it shows the rest of Shadows story (i.e. why the completed project was shown as Bio-Lizard in SA2: battle, and if shadow in Heroes was the real one). Another thing, i think they should complete the heroes story like what Omega, and shadow were doing with Metal Sonic at the end, and, again what eggman/metal sonic was doing with all of the clones

I thought Biolizard was the prototype, and Shadow was the final one.

However, you're perfectly right - another Shadow could easily have been created from the plans, assuming they weren't in the ARk when it went up.

Posted by Biolizard

Well, in SAB2, they made it look like shadow had died but he didn't

Posted by RAHU

In SA2:B When rouge and shadow were talking in the place where the Chaos emeralds were held Rouge held up a news paper the had the Bio-Lizard on it. She then said the it was a picture of Shadow

Posted by Prince Redon

When I first heard about this game I thought...Oh crap...This game will probably suck and get over-rated just as GTA did. I could really only imagine the comments and such this game would receive, (which still may occur) but after looking at it, the game actually looks really fun. I really hope they don't screw this game up like they have been doing with alot of the Sonic games so far, (Not including the Sega Genisis ones, I couldn't bring myself to say those sucked). Hopefully they won't let us down on this one.

You know that, was my initial feeling. But then I read a bit more about it.

Shadow has a very interesting backstory, and the game has him following his quest to seek out his own identity. From the screenshots I've seen, it looks like a lot of the levels are played inside his own memories, thoughts and dreams - and if that's not it, it bloody well should be. The only weapons he has are what he can pick up from the G.U.N. army, much like Prince of Persia in play style, although more linear...

This should rock.

Posted by Prince Redon

LoL, it's odd how everyone expected it to suck until they read, or heard a little more about it.

Posted by Arczu

This is EXACTLY what happened with Kingdom Hearts. Initial "Pah that looks reTARDed" reaction, then the surprise, surprise: an original game!

However, seeing how much of Shadow's existance is still foggy, that could be a great set up to getting this game.

Posted by Prince Redon

I always thought Kingdom Hearts was going to be great...Mostly because I loved the artwork for it.

I will give you that, they are keeping Shadow kind of a secret as though they may reveal something shocking in the game. (I love when they do that!:))

Quoted post: This is EXACTLY what happened with Kingdom Hearts. Initial "Pah that looks reTARDed" reaction, then the surprise, surprise: an original game!

Yes, but you can't even compare the two. Kindom Hearts was a pretty original idea, while this Shadow game is garunteed to be in the same vein as SBA2 and Heros. In other words, blah to crap.

Posted by Prince Redon

I don't know, it's looking pretty good so far, but then again some games have a way to make you think it's going to be great by telling all this stuff it's going to have, then it turns out that they took this out, and added that instead...

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Wings: I thought Biolizard was the prototype, and Shadow was the final one.

However, you're perfectly right - another Shadow could easily have been created from the plans, assuming they weren't in the ARk when it went up.
[quote=Biolizard]Well, in SAB2, they made it look like shadow had died but he didn't[quote=RAHU]In SA2:B When rouge and shadow were talking in the place where the Chaos emeralds were held Rouge held up a news paper the had the Bio-Lizard on it. She then said the it was a picture of Shadow

Here's my understanding of it: The project of the ultimate lifeform was always codenamed "Shadow." The product of that project, what we know as the Biolizard, evaded G.U.N. somehow and remained on Ark because what they found instead was Shadow the Hedgehog, a mere byproduct of the project. It's a possibility, however, that the hedgehog saved by Maria from G.U.N.'s attack is not the same one that Eggman ressurected fifty years later.

I believe I remember fleeting quotes from Sonic Adventure 2 in a conversation between Rouge and Shadow. She was confused about the identity of the Shadow project and which was actually the ultimate life form, and she presented the idea to Shadow, "Even your memories might not be real, you know." He resonded something to the form of, "Even if they're not, it's still me, Shadow." Sonic Heroes went on to show in Team Dark's ending an entire room full of Shadows.

It's drawn me to this conclusion: Shadow, because of his artificial creation, can reliquish his consciousness to some external site that is designed to hold him. This vessel can be a database or a new vessel, I suppose, and any new vessel that takes on his consciousness is as good as the real Shadow. Think of him as a computer: his programming can be uploaded to any compadible source. Like he told Rouge, it's still him, Shadow. The Shadow of SA2 retained all the memories of the one from fifty years ago, but he may or may not be the same one. He may be an entirely new vessel that holds the memories of the original. Note how the Shadow of Sonic Heroes had no memory of SA2's events, as the vessel that lived through those events burned in the atmosphere without backing up memory data.

Still, what were the countless other Shadows from Sonic Heroes created for? Why did Robotnik keep Shadow around as he continued his experiments for the ultimate lifeform? If Maria supposedly saved Shadow from G.U.N.'s storming of the Ark, how did he end up in G.U.N.'s hands? Is that vessel still out there somewhere, while G.U.N. ended up with a different one? I guess this new game will bring some answers.

Yes, Shadow has an interesting plot behind him. But I still hope the game is more than fan-appeal and actually has enjoyable gameplay.

Posted by RAHU

thats a good out look linko

Posted by FerreTrip

Sonic Team says that they want to give Shadow more games, according to my Tips & Tricks magazine. Basically, Shadow will have his 'own' games like Sonic has his 'own' games, 'own' as in they are the main characters. I like Shadow being the star in his own game becasue it is NOT in his nature to be like Sonic and rub it in everyone's face by saying how cool he is. He says he's the ultimate life becasue that was what the project's goal was.
Anyway, don't worry, Linko, if it's gonna be his own series, than it'll most likly have enjoyable gameplay.

Posted by Prince Redon

...Is it just me or was Sonic better before they started making it so hi-tech and such? I remember when Dr. Robotnik was as complicated as it got...Only because of his robots and technology, but now with shadow they are creating this "Ultimate life form!"...If what you say is true, I really don't know how good of a series would be with shadow as the main character, probably not to good.:/

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting Prince Redon: ...Is it just me or was Sonic better before they started making it so hi-tech and such?

Oh, hell yes. I still miss the good ol' days of "run, spin, jump, kill enemies, *insert ring sound effect here*, clear the level, woohoo," etc. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

But in spite of that, as long as the Sonic Team are putting new games out, I'll always be at least renting them and seeing how they are. No matter how much I think a game will suck, I'll never know for sure until I play it for myself...

Posted by Prince Redon

True, no matter what people say, I would eventually have to try the game for myself, who knows, I might like it.

Quoted post: .Is it just me or was Sonic better before they started making it so hi-tech and such?

I liked Sonic better when he was fat :(

Posted by JChronoJ

Hum, sounds like another dumb game... and to top it off they're using a character who died. well I guess I'll go toddle over to my Sega Genesis, Sonic Teams hit the bottom of the pit when they released Sonic Adventure, and they aren't climbing back up yet... Maybe some day...
:(

I'm sorry? Sonic Heroes was easily the worst of the bunch, and that's just the console games. Sonic's had his fair share of rubbish outings. More than.

This could actually be a return to form.

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting Wings: This could actually be a return to form.

We can only hope...Sonic Hero's was horrible in my opinion. I only played it because it was a Sonic game...I will try at least any Sonic game once, even if I never play it again, I will give it at least one shot.