wavedash??

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

apparantly, a friend thinks he can kick my *** something awful since I don't know how to do a "wavedash". I googled it but couldn't figure out exactly what it is, or why one should do it. What are the advantages? What is it?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

K dude, I'm gonna send you a PM of me playing this game. In all my vids I wavedash. Its a term used for sliding on the ground without actually having to run or walk. It's basically a really fast maneuver on the ground towards or away from the opponent. Advantages... say someone is coming at you... ganondorf, with a forward air punch attack. You can roll backwards, but he can then catch up with the roll. You can dodge, but he can then neutal afterwards. You can wavedash. If you wavedash away from him, you can still attack.

You can wavedash and attack at the same time with practice, as in wavedash forward and down smash... luigi does this best. Wavedash... is just dodging really close to the ground. You jump and dodge really, but you have to do the jump after the click of the x/y button, i prefer the button closest to the z. You then have to angle the joystick left or right while holding down. I have not see tournaments won by people who don't so far, and some characters are worst with it.

BUT, just cause he can wavedash doesn't mean he can win. One thing is wavedashing (just moving) and another is actually using it to the full potential. So if he has started wavedashing, he will probably screw up and you will get some free hits from his stupidity.

K rate my videos after you see them if you do plz :(

Posted by Mystic Hero

Wavedashing takes time and practice to master. You have to when exactly is the right time to use it because a misuse could end up in a good hit by the enemy. I have to perfect it. I haven't really found a use for it right now or when exactly it should be used, but my Wave Ding is getting better. It's all in the timing, just be patient and practice.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Wavedashing has a use from the very beggining, a quick slide towards OR away from the opponent. Away from attacks, grabs, and thats mostly this game, attacks and grabs. Being able to wavedash away automatically makes this technique a must learn. Wavedashing towards is the use of combo. Fox can combo infinitely with some real quick fingers. The quick edgeguard as well, and easy wavelands. Instead of landing in a spot, wavedash before you land and move towards or away. Every use is there... but its best uses ARE in advanced play. I always get confused in a match when people don't wavedash and it really messes my play. Meh, thats just me.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

dude those videos were intense

Posted by Inferno

I've been trying to gain the full potential of wavedashing when I play but for some reason it's hard for me to do with Falco, who I play as the most. He's so fast the I haven't got the timing down yet and even when I do pull it off he doesn't seem to go very far. I'm probably just doing it wrong. Luigi is the best for learning how to wavedash though since it seems easier and you can definitely tell when you do it. Anyway, it's a hard skill to pick up but from the movies I've seen it can be pretty devastating.

Could I check out those videos Dark Bulb? I pretty much learn the most by watching how other people play. Also, if you know where I could get some Falco videos that would be awesome.

Posted by Bebop

Send me your vids! I must see it!

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting Inferno: Could I check out those videos Dark Bulb? I pretty much learn the most by watching how other people play. Also, if you know where I could get some Falco videos that would be awesome.

I play falco :) K I'll pm you on how to get them. Same to you bebop :O

Posted by Inferno

Do you know of any other Falco tricks? So far I know about the Short hop laser and a few things with the shine attack ( I think that's what it's called, Down+B anyway ) but thats about it. There's also his Down+A spike which owns most people and few tricks with that but those are like the only ones I know. And while we're on the topic of wavedashing are there any particular things that you know of that falco can do well while wavedashing?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Wavedash out of a reflector. If you do this, the reflector is cancelled by a jump, and a wavedash is a jump plus a dodge. That adds to a the maneuverability (if thats even a word)

SHL into grabs, down tilt on the groun, and maybe smash attacks. While moving of course.

The shine combos work with down air into a shine, jump out quickly and continue with things like another shine, another spike into a shine, an up air and land quickly to get anohter up air in, or start a nice weak combo on sheiks or peaches in which you neutral air them throughout the stage. As for anything else thats fancy with falco... then... I dunno... :( What you see me do... is what I do :O

Posted by Inferno

Wow, that's a bunch of cool things I have to try now. Too bad my GC is currently MIA. I need to get on to that.

The wavedash reflector seems like it would be a pretty effective move since it would be so fast. Also, I never really use neutral air that much so thats another thing I can try out.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Neutral air is AWESOME :O Real useful for semi float characters. Peach, sheik, mario, characters that float like that at around the 30 ish damage to whatever you can... I'm not sure of the damage btw :) If y ou try hard enough, it can even be done on captain falcon. That wavedash reflector is only useful in way advanced falco play >.< I'm still no master at it. Wavedashing out of reflectors though is best practice with fox, and if you see the fox video in the second email, thats the best example of the wavedash shine :O.

Try out though, making use of that neutral air. Real useful.

Posted by Ardvarkbob

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but learn Shuffl'd. It is one of the most useful attack forms for any character. It stands for: Short Hopped, Fast Fall, L-canceled. To do a short hop, press the jump button and realese it before the jumping animation is complete. That is a 9 frame window with bowser, and a 4 frame window for fox, making it easier to do with Bowser than Fox. Once you're in the air, perform an aerial move, and then press down, which is fast falling. Right before you hit the ground, press shield. This will reduce the lag of the attack to half. Its easy to see with Links down A. If you can do these consistantly, you can do a lot, especially with Falco. Shuffl'd Nairs and Dairs are great in FD, and can combo floaty characters with ease.