Castlevania DS

Posted by Cruxis

I just bought A new Slim Design DS and absolutly love it. I already have a DS but the screen sucked and I hated it's size. When I bought my new DS I purchased a copy of the new R.E. DS game and a copy of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Now I have been playing Castlvania games since I can remember and I have most of the GBA titles too. But When I started playing this title, all my ideas about how fun a castlvania game could be went right down the drain (It even made the Playstation hit look bland). The DS touch screen and stylus made preforming spells and summons actually fun and because of the second screen I was not having to constantly press select (like in the older ones) to check out where I was on the map. I'm not sure if anyone else on here has this game or any of the others for that fact, but I'd love to hear what you think about it if you do.

Posted by Dexter

I've been close to getting this game several times but have not gotten to it yet. I'll most likely be getting it within the next week or so. I hear many wonderful things about the game and I have not gone through a Castlevania game since the Nintendo 64.

Posted by Pit

Man N64 Castlevania was bleh. Alright, nothing amazing. However, the 2D games for GBA were alright. Symphony of the Night to me was the gem of series. Amazing in every possible way. Dawn of Sorrow takes that expereince to the next level, and is better than Aria of Sorrow, the best GBA Castlevania game in the series. Probably one of th ebest games out on the DS.

People who probably won't like this are afficionados of the first games in the series in which the game was split up into levels. You started at a stage, linear path with some hidden stuff, boss at the end of th elevel, orb, over.

The new ones just happen to take place in Draculas Castle (except the new one coming out, which spans over different territories). There's hidden passageways, puzzles, boss fights, you need certain powers to go to other segments of the Caslte, with RPG elements, powerups, new abilities tossed in. It's actually like the 2D Metroids, but imo, although can't really be compared, I find castlevania more fun for a) Story factor, b) gameplay c) more boss fights, and hard ones at that two, d) unlockable alternate mode/story, c) items, weapons, armor, etc, adds that action RPG element to the game, which is awesome. Definately a good game to get Dex. Plus, if you don't like it, say it doesn't work and exchange it.

Posted by Burrito

I borrowed Castlevania from a friend and beat it. It was pretty awesome. I'll probably be getting Portrait of Ruin when it comes out.

Posted by NeXidala

I used my cousin's DS to play Castelvania and I really liked it. I only played it for a couple of minutes because I wasn't playing on a file because they were all being used. But I liked the combat system and whatnot. I know I didn't experience it's full potencial, but either way, I really liked it.

Posted by Cruxis

[quote=Pit]Man N64 Castlevania was bleh. Alright, nothing amazing. However, the 2D games for GBA were alright. Symphony of the Night to me was the gem of series. Amazing in every possible way. Dawn of Sorrow takes that expereince to the next level, and is better than Aria of Sorrow, the best GBA Castlevania game in the series. Probably one of th ebest games out on the DS.

People who probably won't like this are afficionados of the first games in the series in which the game was split up into levels. You started at a stage, linear path with some hidden stuff, boss at the end of th elevel, orb, over.

The new ones just happen to take place in Draculas Castle (except the new one coming out, which spans over different territories). There's hidden passageways, puzzles, boss fights, you need certain powers to go to other segments of the Caslte, with RPG elements, powerups, new abilities tossed in. It's actually like the 2D Metroids, but imo, although can't really be compared, I find castlevania more fun for a) Story factor, b) gameplay c) more boss fights, and hard ones at that two, d) unlockable alternate mode/story, c) items, weapons, armor, etc, adds that action RPG element to the game, which is awesome. Definately a good game to get Dex. Plus, if you don't like it, say it doesn't work and exchange it.

Did you know, other then the Origonal NES and Sorry N64 versions, there was actually another remake of the origonal castlevania? yep, it was called Castlevania: Chronicles and it was released for Playstation in 2000. It was a 2d remake, but the graphics aditions and story where re-vamped. You really must check it out;

Here is a Hug link to some Castlevania: Chronicles Info and screens-

[URL="http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dcastlevania%2Bchronicles%26fr%3DFP-tab-img-t-t400%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3D%26ei%3DUTF-8&w=300&h=225&imgurl=gr.bolt.com%2Fgames%2Fsony%2Faction%2Fcastlevania_chronicles5.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgr.bolt.com%2Fgames%2Fsony%2Faction%2Fcastlevania_chronicles.htm&size=22.5kB&name=castlevania_chronicles5.jpg&p=castlevania+chronicles&type=jpeg&no=7&tt=505&ei=UTF-8"]http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dcastlevania%2Bchronicles%26fr%3DFP-tab-img-t-t400%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3D%26ei%3DUTF-8&w=300&h=225&imgurl=gr.bolt.com%2Fgames%2Fsony%2Faction%2Fcastlevania_chronicles5.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgr.bolt.com%2Fgames%2Fsony%2Faction%2Fcastlevania_chronicles.htm&size=22.5kB&name=castlevania_chronicles5.jpg&p=castlevania+chronicles&type=jpeg&no=7&tt=505&ei=UTF-8[/URL]

the game was remade literally screen for screen, so you can take a photo from the NES ver and set it beside a photo of the same sceen from chronicles and they looks idenicle except for the major graphical difference.

Posted by Pit

That's actually pretty awesome. I gotta get in on that definately.

Posted by Jman

[Just to mention in DoS, Soma isn't in Castlevania, it's a replica of it, but the monsters are real.]
I think Castlevania DoS was a great game, but it was more of an innovation of AoS rather than a revolution. Some say it's better than Sotn, and in many ways the gameplay (including the map on the top screen) is more sophisticated. However, I don't believe it surpasses Sotn but thats my opinion. Reason being is mainly due to the way the castle is designed and the music. Many people will argue that the music in DoS is better, but to me Sotn's music remains unsurpassed - each area built up a particular emotion i.e. the clock tower(always a tough stage) was raw with emotion in electric guitars (the bloody tears remix) while somewhere like the library or Orlox/ Olrox' quarters sounded classical and carried elegance with it. Castlevania DoS' music sounds a bit more futuristic eg in the wizardry lab (which imo is one of the better tracks) but alot of the music sounds the same to me. This isn't necessarily bad, but I like the fact that in Sotn, each area evoked a new feeling, and the Boss tracks were all the same. This makes more sense to me as a way of linking the music rather than it sounding similar. The biggest issue with me was the castle layout in DoS, although I liked it, the castle didn't particularly excite me as it did in SOTN, AOS and even as it did in Harmony of Dissonance. I think compared to those it was quite linear, and it annoyed me that much of the game was broken up into smaller screens unlike Sotn or even Aos or Hod where you could have long continuous screens.
It is one of my favourite, however, and I believe that POR will be more successful because the gameplay works it will be a revolution as Sotn was.

Posted by Pit

We all know in DoS Soma isn't in Castlevania. They never mention Casltvenia. It's Celias Castle, not Draculas. Draculas Castle was destroyed by Soma.

Posted by Cruxis

So true. I think it will be amazing personally. Now only if they would make a New 2D castlevania game starring Hector (Curse of Darkness hero).
I think hector was under rated, he has a lot of potentel....unfortunatly He would be dead by now, considering that Curse of darkness took place only 3 years before Castlevania III. Although Alucard was alive then (he played a minor role as a Summon in CIII), and obviously his life spand is huge. Never the less a 2d PS2 remake of the first three castlevania'a (one cd, three games combined) would be nice, that would give konami an excuse to update the graphics and story & controls and then throw in what alucard, Hector and the rest of the newly mentioned cast members, where during that time spand.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Hector sucks, fag.

Posted by Jman

Hector had potential, but he never got enough coverage in COD to be remebered. That game was okay for a 3d castlevania, but many times i even forgot Hector was the main character's name, because it seemed like the audience never really knows him. The fact that DoS and games alike (side-scrollers) can kick the arse out of 3d-castlevanias should be encouraging konami to make another Sotn. Hell knows why they don't.