AMD + ATI = HOLY COW!!!

Posted by Proto Man

I am just dumbstruck here. CPU and motherboard maker AMD has bought out graphics card and chipset maker ATI.

You can read the whole story here:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/720/720756p1.html

and more here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_14197_14208,00.html

The short version is though that ATI will no longer be ATI. It will have the AMD name. Also, soon after this transaction, Intel just canceled ATI's license to make chipsets for Intel brand motherboards.

So for everyone that was always AMD/nVidia, this IS a big shake up here. Now AMD just bought up nVidia's arch rival, and will now compete with them in the graphics department. It looks that way anyhow.

I myself am a bit confused as to what the future will bring. I just hope that there will still be Crossfire support in Intel boards.

Posted by Trigger

I don't particularly care, considering I find nVidia superior to ATI anyway - I hardly doubt AMD will make much difference in the graphics department. With AMD now controlling ATI, it only makes sense why Intel would cancel the licence for them.

Posted by Kanashuri

Quoting Trigger: I don't particularly care, considering I find nVidia superior to ATI anyway - I hardly doubt AMD will make much difference in the graphics department. With AMD now controlling ATI, it only makes sense why Intel would cancel the licence for them.

I sort of agree with Trigger but I think AMD graphics cards are better than nvids but they are way more pricey.

Posted by warrozo

Heh there both great companys

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Protoman: I am just dumb

Quoted for truth.

I'll just get a Core 2 Duo and an NVidia card for my next computer anyway.

Posted by S0LID 5NAKE

that was a smart move on amds part. in the past 2 years or so amd's market share has gone up. so its only logical for them to do a move like that. hence alot of the new machines with amd chipsets come with integrated ati cards.

Posted by higbvuyb

And obviously, AMD's market share will go all the way back down when Intel releases the Dore 2 Duo, which is better in every way than any AMD processor, and AMD only has the AM2 to answer for it.

Posted by Apathetic

ORLY? I wonder if someone could pull up some benchmarks on games with these new cpu's. Oh and now this happened, when will intel buy nVidia?

Posted by Proto Man

Actually, it hasn't happened YET!

Though this has passed the AMD board, it still has to pass ATI Shareholders, and THEN it has to pass the FTC. So technically the transaction could be shut down, but with the way the FTC has been lately (they passed SBC buying ATT), there is a good chance this could pass.

Sooo.... here's hoping that ATI Shareholders will decide not to sell out.