What guitar should I buy?

Posted by Slade

My dad recently told me he'd buy me a nice guitar. It's kind of a long story, but I'm basically trading my kayak for it. By nice he means around the $700-900 range. Maybe $1000, but only on a good day, and if I can convince him it's worth it. I'm going from a little Strat Pack guitar to this, so I'm pretty stoked. I would like some input from the musically knowledged VGCers, and hell, anyone, about what make and model of guitar I should get.

So here's what I know I want:

-It has to be electric

-Decals like this(pic posted by Klarth in another thread), would be completely orgasmic. In fact, I really like the look of this particular guitar... I have no clue how one goes about getting a guitar with decals this nice without being famous, though.

-Features? I want the best I can get for the money(suprise!), but other than that... I don't really know. I know I like thinner necks, and that I want to do lead and rhythm.

Anything you think might be helpful in making my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

[IMG]http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/models/RG370DXBK.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/F-500.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'm hijacking the thread, because this is what I do. I work at Guitar Center, so i'll help you out.

As far as over-all tone, you want a Gibson Les Paul. They sound the best, they play the best, and they've been making guitars the longest. But they're heavy, and a bit on the expensive side.

If Gibson isn't your thing, go with an Ibanez or a Jackson, because they can do the things that a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Strat can't do (i.e., they're versitile).

If you want cool looks, go with the Ibanez Giger models. the RG body one is the same one that I have, only not with the Giger look.

Hope that helped.

And btw, the guitar that Klarth showed you is discontinued, seeing as John Petrucci doesn't play on an Ibanez anymore.

Posted by Slade

Alright, thanks for the input. I'm seriously looking into those Giger series models.

I've found an RG on eBay that had the neck stained darker with Fiebings Black Leather Dye, apparently. Does this work well and last? Are there any nasty side effects of doing this(i.e. sticky fingers)?

Mr. N: It's more of a trade, like I said: Kayak for guitar. Sadly, it's not completely free.:(

Wait, what the hell? I'm not complaining.

Posted by G-Sides

About the RG series, the only problems I have with mine (and I've noticed this with most people I know who play on RG's) is that it has a major problem staying in tune, even with the tuning locks.

Another problem I have with mine is that my input seems to break and malfunction often.

But they're great guitars.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting G-Sides: About the RG series, the only problems I have with mine (and I've noticed this with most people I know who play on RG's) is that it has a major problem staying in tune, even with the tuning locks.

Another problem I have with mine is that my input seems to break and malfunction often.

But they're great guitars.

Which RG do you have? Most of the time when you get a tremolo that has locking tuners, you have the thing set up before you even lock it down.

If it's a low-ender, then of course it'll **** on you.

Posted by Slade

Okay, I figure if I chip in for part of it my dad might be willing to get this:

And that would make me 'splode with happiness.

Posted by poisonblood

Most of the things I repair are made by Ibanez, which tells me that Ibanez products tend to break. You should buy the Gibson faded flying V it has always been a favorite of mine. Plus telling people you own a Gibson is alot cooler than telling them you own a Ibanez.

If you are going to buy a good guitar please practice there are to many posers in the world that cant play for shit and think it is cool to walk around with a guitar even though they can not play.

Check out this site to find good deals on guitars and other products
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

Quoted post: Plus telling people you own a Gibson is alot cooler than telling them you own a Ibanez.

No it's not. I owned a Gibson, and wasn't that impressed with it. My Ibanez RG plays a lot better, and that's more important than being "lol cool!"

Posted by poisonblood

I have never been a fan of Ibanez I have played on Ibanez guitars and amplifiers and I also repair instruments on the side to make a little cash.
Ibanez guitars may be louder but for a few bucks I can make any guitar sound cleaner, dirtyer, louder, sweeter, or heavier that is why my customers keep coming back to my even though I do all of my repairs in my bed room instead of taking there guitars to a trained technician.

To bad you dont live near me I could fix up a nice guitar for you for a minimal fee, and the guitar I made kicked *** and the guy I made it for was surprised how fast I made it how good it was and how little it costs to make.

send me the money and I promise I will not cheat you(I know you have no reason to trust me and all I can offer is my word) but if you do I will build you a cusom guitar that will be awsome.

If you dont want to do that buy a Steiberger. They may look a little weird but they have awsome tone and sound if you go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ you can buy one for 1,049$.

I have enough guitars :cookie:

thanks for the offer though. Might come in handy some day.

Posted by XeroPercent

I need a guitar :(
First I need money :( :( :(

I got a Bass Guitar that I tool around on once in a while, but a lonley Bass isn't very cool.

btw - Vamp, that second one you posted a pic of is shag-nasty! Looks like the guitar Batman would play.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Get a SA or RG Ibanez.

I prefer SA. :D

Posted by Slade

Eh.. I've never been a big fan of the flying V shape, and I'm not psyched about Gibsons in general, either. Someday, maybe, when I have a lot more money.

My dad came in and told me we'd go get a guitar(probably the one I posted a pic of) in a couple weeks. That's pretty flipping sweet. Sometimes these ideas just kind of... fall through, you know.

@poisonblood: Being in high school I've seen every poser wannabe rock star that my lovely town has to offer. So that's not a problem. I'm very critical of my musicianship so it'll be years before I even consider thinking of myself as a good guitarist. And I have a few plans, I want to go somewhere with this whole music thing.

Yeah, definitely not a fan of the flying v's. But by G[COLOR="White"]o[/COLOR]d, when the wireless V controller comes out for Guitar Hero 2, I'll buy it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Poison:
The reason guitars break is due to two things:
- Defects out of the box
- User misuse

Don't blame the guitars, blame the owners. Ibanez play better than Gibson, but the Gibson's have better tone.

oh **** this, i've gotta rant.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting poisonblood: Most of the things I repair are made by Ibanez, which tells me that Ibanez products tend to break. You should buy the Gibson faded flying V it has always been a favorite of mine. Plus telling people you own a Gibson is alot cooler than telling them you own a Ibanez.
The faded V is a piece of **** compared to an actual Gibby V. And telling someone to buy a Gibson "because it's cooler" is a horse**** reason. That's like saying you should do anal because it's the thing to do.

[QUOTE=poisonblood]If you are going to buy a good guitar please practice there are to many posers in the world that cant play for shit and think it is cool to walk around with a guitar even though they can not play.
Oh, so you'd rather they walk around with a $2000+ Les Paul, V, Explorer, or SG made by Gibson if they're just going to parade it? **** that man. There is a reason people don't buy Gibsons. Price, Personal Preference, and Playability. Gibsons are ****ing way too overpriced, some people just flat out don't like Gibson, and they don't play as well as Ibanez guitars do. That and when was the last time you saw a Gibson with a Floyd Rose? Seeing as Gibson is so stuck in their ways of a stopbar tells me they are stubborn and don't want to cater to other potential customers.

[QUOTE=poisonblood]
Check out this site to find good deals on guitars and other products
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

**** that, I work for Guitar Center. We OWN Musicians Friend.

Quoting poisonblood: I have never been a fan of Ibanez I have played on Ibanez guitars and amplifiers and I also repair instruments on the side to make a little cash.
Ibanez guitars may be louder but for a few bucks I can make any guitar sound cleaner, dirtyer, louder, sweeter, or heavier that is why my customers keep coming back to my even though I do all of my repairs in my bed room instead of taking there guitars to a trained technician.
There, right there you are saying you're biased against one brand or another. I won't lie and say i'm not, but I have to be able to sell these guitars on a daily basis, so I know the shortcomings of both brands. Ibanez guitars being LOUDER?! What the **** are you talking about?! The both have 250K Volume pots. THEY PUT OUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF SOUND, you DOLT. You're talking out of your *** so badly. For a couple bucks you make it sound cleaner? What do you do, rewire their ****ing pickups for them by hand? You're so full of it man. You can get any tone out of your amp and effects. The only thing is knowing how to dig it out.

[QUOTE=poisonblood]To bad you dont live near me I could fix up a nice guitar for you for a minimal fee, and the guitar I made kicked *** and the guy I made it for was surprised how fast I made it how good it was and how little it costs to make.
Again, bull****.

[QUOTE=poisonblood]send me the money and I promise I will not cheat you(I know you have no reason to trust me and all I can offer is my word) but if you do I will build you a cusom guitar that will be awsome.
again, more bull****

[QUOTE=poisonblood]If you dont want to do that buy a Steiberger. They may look a little weird but they have awsome tone and sound if you go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ you can buy one for 1,049$.

Yeah, awesome tone because they have EMG Actives in them. Dude, get real. A Steinberger? Please.

Posted by Moogs

My friend has an Ibanez and his plays just fine and he hasn't had to get it repaired in a while(if ever)... but I dislike Ibanez Basses I played one once not for me... I love fender basses though, but anywho... yeah Get an Ibanez if you don't want a Gibson

Posted by poisonblood

[QUOTE=MetalVox~55]
Again, bull****.

again, more bull****
QUOTE]
I was just saying that I am good at fixin guitars, and trying to give some usefull advice I am sorry if you do not agree with anything that I have said.

It is also not at all hard to build and repair a electric guitar.

I am in the middle of a two year course on to recive a degree in industrial electronics, and a guitar is pretty basic.

As for making the guitar sound beter yeah some of that was bull**** but there are ways of changing the sound of an instrument that do not involve
changing the pickup or screwing up the guitar, but they are extremly time consuming and I usually charge alot to do it I will not go into details as to what I do becaude it is a secret and the reson why I have any rep as a guitar tech amongst the people who know me, but it does have a posive effect on the sound. The reson I fix these insruments is to show my skill in electronics and alot of the repaires I do I do for free.

I am not completly biased against Ibanez I do like there amplifiers I just dont care to much for there guitars.

You seem to know more than I do and I will not argue with you. I dont work at a music company I an just a guy who has taken a few classes on electronics.

The only things I know about the shortcomings of guitars is what I have found out by taking them apart and puting them back together.

Now that I sit back and think about it the reson that I have been fixing more Ibanez guitars is because most of the people that I know own Ibanez guitars.

I have also worked on Fender,B.C Rich,Menphis,and Squire guitars

I dont know alot about guitars but I do know some there are a few local bands around me that bring me there equiptment wenever somthing goes wrong. That is the only reson I claim to be able to fix them........wich I can.