STOP BAGGING EMO

Posted by TheSecondComing

Many people on this forum make consistent jabs at 'emo', unknowingly misusing the term and annoying an entire legion of people who actually like proper 'emo'.

Here's what emo actually is:

1. Emotional, heartfelt lyrics and vocal delivery - not just the emotion of anger, but other positive feelings. It runs the whole gauntlet. Often ends up sounding a tad silly to the uneducated listener. Sonic Youth: non-emo. At the Drive-In: emo.

2. Typically free from the 'rockstar' image constraints of earlier eras. Axl Rose bagging gays and being macho: non-emo. Kurt Cobain playing pro-life benefits and being sensitive: emo. (not that he played emo; I'm just using him to juxtapose Axl Rose)

3. Usually simple, poppy, catchy, yet with an edge to it that seperates it from pop. Usually a step up from pop in terms of complexity, or ideas. A typical emo album will have several distinct kinds of songs or genres on it - from a punk thrash to a gentle acoustic ballad. Dream Theatre: non-emo. Husker Du: emo.

4. Most genres have a sort of emo subgenre. For example, the Deftones are sort of 'emo metal' (but are called screamo, if you're a friggen music nerd who needs to classify every band into its own genre).

Some genius (probably a Dream Theatre fan) caught on to the emo part, thought that emotions and feelings were girly and stupid, and decided to label Good Charlotte as emo. It snowballed from there, to the point that people who actually understood what emo was had to recreate their own genre as 'emocore' - emo that is more hardcore than Simple Plan.

I think it's time people started showing respect towards emo. Too often have I seen someone leap into a 'Worst ...' topic and list 'uh emo is bad and horrible it wants to make me puke!' To me that's just like saying 'metal sucks!' (you'll notice I tread this line finely) or 'electronica blows! btw I haven't heard any'.

Now, if you want to edify yoself about emocore (yes, I have to use that bastardized name because of you wrongful classifiers, you), listen to these:

Husker Du: 'Zen Arcade' (album)
At the Drive-In: 'Relationship of Command' (a single song from it, Pattern Against User, is a good example of proper emo)
The Mars Volta: 'Intertiatic ESP' (it's one song from Deloused in the Comatorium, and the album is more progressive emo, but this is a good example of emo, by ATDI's lead singers new band)
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of The Dead: 'Source Tags and Codes' (it's an album: think 'Evol' by Sonic Youth, except without's Thurston's numb vocals)

I invite discussion/bagging of Simple Plan and Good Charlotte.

Posted by MetalVox~55

But, emo is so much fun to make fun of...Do I really have to give up my scapegoat?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metalvox/confused.gif[/IMG]

Posted by rivercitytecmo

http://www.somethingdirectory.com/main_emo.htm

i laughed my *** off at that. it's pretty big (171 mb), but well worth the download. the best part in terms of the bands they named was that they didn't mention fugazi. i hate it when people call fugazi "emo".

Posted by Richaod

Inertiatic ESP is emo? OH NOES!!1!

I think The Mars Volta are fantastic anyway, so I've got nothing to complain about. I'm currently getting Relationship of Command, too.

Axl Rose sings emo. kthx

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoting rivercitytecmo: http://www.somethingdirectory.com/main_emo.htm

i laughed my *** off at that. it's pretty big (171 mb), but well worth the download. the best part in terms of the bands they named was that they didn't mention fugazi. i hate it when people call fugazi "emo".

Hahaha, I saw that about a month ago. Quite hilarious indeed.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I'll continue to insult it all I want, and I won't be questioned, because MY SISTER IS EMO. Besides, TSC, you aren't the most qualified to be talking about music in the first place. Calling Mars Volta and the Deftones is like calling Danzig or the New York Dolls punk rock - sure, they had a hand in the movement or vaguely resemble the style, or whatever, but they sure as hell aren't emo or any derivative of emo. Please, quit nitpicking. You remind me of an emo version of those metal clowns who argue about whether or not Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, In Flames, etc. "sold out" after every single album they release, and if you could really call Slipknot "metal", or those punk rock nutjobs who whine that Rancid sold out because of The Transplants, or claim that the Misfits were the greatest punk band ever and Danzig is God reincarnated, or that Sid Vicious is innocent of killing Nancy whoever and should be made out to be the savior of the world.

The Mars Volta reminds me of Led Zeppelin on acid. The Deftones are like nu-metal for stoners.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'll teabag emo until the day I die

Posted by rivercitytecmo

i don't think i'd consider husker du "emo", but whatever.

and i actually like "relationship of command".

Posted by Poco

Why isn't Bright Eyes up there? I use them as a musical scapegoat all the time.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I don't like Emo. I never have. Just my musical tastes. I never hate anything that I don't normally listen to unless it has crappy lyrics. Hating any genre of music with decent lyrics and showing it in front of everyone is silly. Just go listen to what you like and forget.

Posted by Ch

Well, i really hate emo. To me, it just sounds like a bunch of whiny 17 year olds wailing on a microphone about how their girlfreind dumped them or about how they slit their wrists.Also, to me, all emo sounds the same... But thats just my opinion. I don't mean to impose that on anyone.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Commisar Yarrick: Why isn't Bright Eyes up there? I use them as a musical scapegoat all the time.

you kick *** because i hate bright eyes with such a passion.

Posted by MetalVox~55

A.A. Wins the thread. proceed to close it at once.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Wow, I never realized so many people here dislike Bright Eyes. I think they're listed as some sort of Indie/Emo combination, whatever, it's still (for me) inaccessible crap that I could never, ever get into. Anyway, I dated a girl for about a year and as a result became friends with her friends, all of which listened to stuff like Bright Eyes (they practically worshipped Connor), Something Corporate, etc. I refuse to 'bag' an entire genre, but if I hear a band, dislike them, and am still exposed to them for long periods of time... I won't have the most positive of outlooks going into anything similar to that group. Call me biased or close-minded, I don't care, it's something that Ik and most people for that matter, have a tendency to do.

Posted by Richaod

What TSC means is that when you bag Simple Plan-ish emo bands, you also bag perfectly decent bands like The Mars Volta and At The Drive-In that are also emo, but just not often interpreted as such. He's in no way supporting blink-182-ish bands, which is something that needs to be understood.

Quoting User 245: Well, i really hate emo. To me, it just sounds like a bunch of whiny 17 year olds wailing on a microphone about how their girlfreind dumped them or about how they slit their wrists.

You didn't actually read my post, did you?

Quoted post: Calling Mars Volta and the Deftones is like calling Danzig or the New York Dolls punk rock - sure, they had a hand in the movement or vaguely resemble the style, or whatever, but they sure as hell aren't emo or any derivative of emo.

Maybe you missed me saying that the Mars Volta in general were more progressive than emo.

And I really don't understand the Deftones comment either. The screamo genre was invented for them.

Posted by Mixhael

It's kinda funny that the term 'emo' has found its way into the Hip Hop community, known as "emo hop". Popular acts like Atmosphere, Sage Francis, and basically every rapper in the Anticon camp is considered emo. Actually, if you're a white MC then it's used even more often, that is unless you're Eminem/Cage/Necro/Non-Phixion/Beastie Boys/El-P etc; etc;. I'll agree that there are a few rappers out there who might fit the description, but it's just used so loosely that its lost much of its meaning. I don't bag on emo hop or whatever if it's done well. Hell, LL Cool J and Slick Rick have things that technically qualify as "emo" these days. It's just a retarded sub genre these new rap fans want to say for the sake of talking. Gangsta Rap/Old Skool/Underground/TripHop/Mainstream; Hip Hop doesn't need any more sub genres.

Posted by Acheron

I don't think any of us needed a thread to tell us that homophobia isn't emo.

Posted by Hyper

I'll diss real emo and the music that people call emo then, as I like neither.

Posted by Pit

Isn't emo that giant australian bird?

EDIT:

OH, THAT'S EMU. OKAY. I GET IT.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Emo sucks. Get over people bashing it.

Everyone else here has gotten over you saying the like about metal and prog. :p

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

worthy bump, because emo still sucks

Posted by Richaod

Emo as TSC defines it is different to emo as most others define it. One is a hell of a lot worse than the other. Differentiate pze

Also, bumpers of three-month-old threads should be pwned.

Quoting MetalVox~55:
Everyone else here has gotten over you saying the like about metal and prog. :p

At least I know what metal and prog are. I'm completely fine with anyone bagging anything as long as they know what they're talking about. I mean, if you looked at bands classified 'metal' currently in the top 40, and made a negative judgement on the genre based on them, that'd be misleading, wouldn't it? And what if the bands weren't even metal? That's basically what happens with emo.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting TheSecondComing: At least I know what metal and prog are. I'm completely fine with anyone bagging anything as long as they know what they're talking about. I mean, if you looked at bands classified 'metal' currently in the top 40, and made a negative judgement on the genre based on them, that'd be misleading, wouldn't it? And what if the bands weren't even metal? That's basically what happens with emo.

You don't KNOW metal....and you dont KNOW prog. Don't even try to act like you do, because none of the metalheads buy it. You see pretty much my entire school is little emo kids with thick glasses who cut themselves and cry themselves to sleep everynight. Being in a school like that I hear emo all the **** time,and it all sounds the same! Whiney and boring.....I don't like Emo for a reason, because it sucks. period. I'm gonna keep bagging on emo until the day I die. By the way check this out
http://conanemo.ytmnd.com/

Posted by Acheron

Quoting MetalVox~55: Everyone else here has gotten over you saying the like about metal and prog. :p

Yeah well you derepped me because I don't like Steve Vai. That hurt man, that hurt.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

the only emo bands that aren't total **** are coheed and cambria and rufio, and that's only because they sound badass and the whinieness is covered up by loud guitars (plus coheed sounds like Rush)

Quoted post: and it all sounds the same! Whiney and boring.....

Actually, it doesn't. Almost every band will add their own little bit in the genre. Which is basically like every genre out there. If you don't listen to it often, it all sounds the same. For me, going from metal to grindcore, for example, gives me that feeling. But once I get back into it, you can hear all the differences, whether obvious or subtle. I don't, like emo, but I'm not ignorant enough to say it all sounds the same.

Quoted post: I don't like Emo for a reason, because it sucks. period.

Which is a pretty general reason to not like something. Point is, that's your personal opinion, an opinion which doesn't really matter at all. Unless you explain yourself better, and don't give ****ty generalizations.

I defend genres I don't like ^^

Posted by Acheron

Defend metalcore. JUST TRY.

The guitars are fun and the live shows can be enteraining...

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Acheron: Yeah well you derepped me because I don't like Steve Vai. That hurt man, that hurt.

but...but but but...
You deserved it! :(

Quoting Shin_Akuma: By the way check this out
http://conanemo.ytmnd.com/

You say that I don't know what metal and prog are, and then you post this link, which implies that Linkin Park is emo. Maybe you should try reading my original post, Mr. Black Pot.

Posted by Hyper

There's a difference between the real definition of Emo (which I already knew, so this topic doesn't apply to me) and what most people call Emo. Most people think whiney, complainy lyrics mixed with radio time = Emo around where I live, and I hate both that music and the real Emo.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

coheed sucks complete ***. i've been raining hate upon them since 1999, when they were called "shabutie" (before their name change) and were opening shows for my friend's band (who also sucked) in synagogues in kingston, ny.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

the fact that you know obscure facts about Coheed doesn't make your opinion about them sucking any more valid

Posted by Hyper

Coheed sucks pretty bad from what I heard.

Quoting Hyper: There's a difference between the real definition of Emo (which I already knew, so this topic doesn't apply to me) and what most people call Emo. Most people think whiney, complainy lyrics mixed with radio time = Emo around where I live, and I hate both that music and the real Emo.

See, because you actually know what emo is, I'm complete cool with you hating it. Bag it all you want, sir, you have earned my respect.

Posted by Hyper

That wasn't hard.

Posted by Pit

Hey guys, you know what kind of music sucks?

Emo, yeah, didn't see that coming did you?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting TheSecondComing:
Some genius (probably a Dream Theatre fan) caught on to the emo part, thought that emotions and feelings were girly and stupid, and decided to label Good Charlotte as emo.

Good Charlotte isn't emo. They just fuc[i]king suck.

Pop-punk is not music, thanks. Didn't it seem for a time period of about a year, any group that could play power chords form a group and call themselves punk?

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: Good Charlotte isn't emo. They just fuc[i]king suck.

I love you

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting TheSecondComing: You say that I don't know what metal and prog are, and then you post this link, which implies that Linkin Park is emo. Maybe you should try reading my original post, Mr. Black Pot.

I didn't imply anything, that video is just funny as hell.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: the fact that you know obscure facts about Coheed doesn't make your opinion about them sucking any more valid

shhhh. . .i'm trying to use smoke and mirrors over here.

Posted by Altinure

i don't think emo sucks.

Posted by Arwon

I remember when "emo" was a jokey term used ironically by hipster types... "Oh that's so emo" and so forth. I still haven't worked out when people decided it was an actual serious term for a genre of music.

Also, Mozart was totally emo... have you heard his Requiem? Guy must've cried himself to sleep every night.

Posted by loathing

Waaah people don't like emo waaaah.

It's emo to whine incessently about how people don't like emo. And by emo, I mean "incredibly fucking annoying."

Posted by Altinure

Quoting Arwon: I remember when "emo" was a jokey term used ironically by hipster types... "Oh that's so emo" and so forth. I still haven't worked out when people decided it was an actual serious term for a genre of music.

Also, Mozart was totally emo... have you heard his Requiem? Guy must've cried himself to sleep every night.

i'm not sure when it came to be, probably late 90s. i took a class called popular music since 1955 and in our book, entitled rock and roll: it's history and stylistic development or something like that, there was a section on emo. it is a real genre.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Altinure: i don't think emo sucks.

TSC definition emo or just plain emo that people can't stop paying out?

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Richaod: TSC definition emo or just plain emo that people can't stop paying out?

TSC, I assume, as the one he describes is the actual emo genre. Most people don't know what real emo is, which is the point of this thread.