Film Makers

Posted by Pacifico

I have always had a great intrest in movies, and I know make some of my own. Some are unplanned spoofs with my friends and now, I'm attempting to make a movie with a small cast. Does anyone have any tips on making a movies like this??

Posted by Dexter

I have many tips, but they depend on you. For instance, what kind of equipment do you have to use on your project? How much money? Things change depending on what camera you are using, scenery, characters, etc.

The image currently in my signature of Wolfy and myself is actually a single frame from a short film my friend and I made. I don't remember what kind of camera we used. It was hers and I am still not very good with different cameras and their names or how much they work differently, although I am interesting in learning and I expect my knowledge on the subject will be far superior by the end of the year. I liked the way the video turned out with that grim aura. It perfectly complimented the story. My friend is excellent when it comes to what lenses to use in what temperature and stuff. Interesting aspects that I am looking forward to education myself on. Anamorphics are interesting to look into. Primo Zooms for superior slow zoom-ins, etc.

Remember that scene in Heat when Robert is leaving with his girl. They drive through the night on the motorway when they suddenly come into a lit tunnel. The stop is not adjusted and the picture is slightly overexposed. The car glides through this heavenly whiteness and it perfectly captures the feeling of this moment, which alas will not last. Ah, what a wonderfully created film that further inspires me to get myself into a film profession. It is a shame that most of these things go unnoticed or simply neglected from our attention.

Posted by Pacifico

I stongly agree with your dissapointment on the neglect of great movies scenes, that capture greatness. It saddens me to think of how many of them there is, and how many have been noticed. :(

Anyway, I use the following equipment: JVC Video Camera, Tripod, HP Editing Software. My budget is very low considering the fact that I only make purchases when I need new tapes to record on. Due to this lack of budget and low grade equipment(considering the type of projects I plan to make) I find myself struggling to make a decent movie.

Posted by Dexter

Beginner's equipment is all I currently have at this time too, although by the end of summer '06 I hope to upgrade. I don't find it necessary to spend the money on the equipment I desire right now, though, because what I currently have is adequate enough to get me through the beginner stages. I am still learning many elements and secrets about filming, editing, cinematography, etc, which has been a wonderful process. Looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

I find it difficult to give you any of my amiable suggestions because of how little I know about your next project. All you really said about it was that it was going to be a spoof and that you had a small cast, right? Maybe if you gave me a few of the scenes you have planned and feelings you would like to create with them I would be able to give you some suggestions, unless, of course, you were just looking for any kind of film suggestions not pointing any particular direction. I imagine you have somewhat of an idea on how you want to go about making this short film. I'll just go off on some suggestions at random. Disagreements and arguments are strongly encourage.

Get an excellent story/screenwrite/plot/scripted/whatever. Find the point of your story and figure out why it is worth telling, no matter how silly it may seem. It helps to keep your focus on the general idea of your project. Many filmmakers will get lost during the process and forget what they are trying to show the world. Keep it obvious and clear, especially towards the ending. Also, try and make sure that your audience leaves with some strong feeling afterwards. Try to read as many screenplays as possible to help gain knowledge about how they are written and stuff. I read as many as possible, not caring much about spoilers. I read the Batman Begins script and found it amazing. You learn a lot through reading those.

Get a talented cast. Of course I understand that you are making something for fun, probably with your friends, but it is worth noting that finding the right talent for the right role is especially gratifying, for you and for your audience.

Blah blah blah

MUSIC!!!! If you have a junky film, make sure you got some good music in it to keep your audience interested, but definitely try to get music that compliments the mood of your story. I used a really salon song in my last little short film that hinted despondency and vulnerability. Don't get something too distracting.

Quoted post: (considering the type of projects I plan to make)

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to make? I'd like to hear your future plans. Is this a hobby/passion/interest?