America's Military technology

Posted by theblobishere92

The Apache helecopter is American invention correct? well appartenly we've given some to Israel. I was just curious what you guys thought... Does America Supply countries with Weaponry? I heard we sell countries, our old outdated technology like WW2 stuff... anyone have any input?

Posted by Roger Smith

The USA buys and sells more weapons then any other county in this world. Our hands aint so clean buuuuuudy.

Posted by Demonblade

That is correct, america did invent the apache helicopter. While im sure we've sold some to israel, im pretty sure you are referring to the cobra attack helicopter that went down today...which was also invented by us and used primarily up until the early 80's, but some are still in service today.

What America tends to do with it's older/outdated technology is as follows:

With our closest allies (i.e. UK, Australia, Italy, Canada...and to a somewhat lesser extent Denmark, Netherlands, Israel and Japan) we tend to SELL our weaponery to them...often times they are platforms/airframes that we currently use. What you have to keep in mind is that, while it is true countries like Japan posess f-15's, for example, they are far less capable when compaired to our f-15's. We basically sell the plans to them, but prior to this...we dumb down the avionics, engine capabilities, all types of radar including AN-(Whatever model it uses) as well as FLIR and GLIR. Now this doesn't mean that the japanese, or whatever country it may be that we sold technology to, doesn't outfit it with its own modifications to counter our "Debuffing" so to speak. We've sold helicopters and f-16's to isreal, f-15's to japan, and a plethora of our older airframes such as the f-4 phantom to many countries around the world. What you have to understand though, is that we use the unmanned F-4's for target practice these days...thats how pathetically outdated that particular technology is.

If you think about it, it is in our best interest to arm our allies with weaponery that can, to a moderately lesser degree, perform on the same level as ours.

I dont know if you have ever heard of the JSF/F-35 Lightning II, but that airframe is a prime example of us outfitting our allies. The US has spent about 40 billion dollars on the development of the JSF to date, and it is intended to replace the A-10, F-16, and the NAVY/Marine variations of the AV-8 and whatnot. What some people dont know is that nearly 11 other countries have their hands in the development of this plane. The countries that contribute the most money in the development of the JSF, will be the first ones that will be able to purchase them.

Keep in mind though that we generally never sell technologies to our allies that are equal to ours. Thats why you wont see anyone else flying the F-22 for likely another 30 years.

ohh, good ... response.. .lol.. .My father works for Northop, and he says the Joint Strike Fighter is replacing f-15 an 18... if I remember correctly...

Posted by Demonblade

Eh..actually the F-22A Raptor is replacing the Air Force's F-15, as for the navy...well, they are just going to have to be content on being jealous. Below is the F-22.

Quick fact. The F-22 was compared to some of the other leading aircaft in the world such as the EF-2000, SU-35, and another plane that i cant quite remember off the top of my head. In the test...the f-22 had a 10 to 1 kill ratio, while the second best EF-2000 only had a 4.5 to 1.

The JSF, which looks quite a bit like the F-22A from the front, is what will be replacing the F-16/A-10/AV-8/and likely the F-18 hornet, although newer variations of the hornet are being produced. This is what the JSF looks like.

Notice it only has one engine. There are 3 variations of the f-35/JSF being produced if i remember correctly. CTOL's(conventional takeoff and landing), STOL/SVTOL's(short takeoff/short virtical takeoff and landing), and VTOL's(virtical takeoff and landing). CTOL's take off like a normal plane. STOL's take off distance is shorter...and VTOL's take off vertically.

ahh very interesting.. Any input on the M1 Abrums tank? will it be replaced anytime soon?

Posted by Demonblade

Well, im not well versed in the army's toys...but im pretty sure there is no new tank in development at the moment. In fact, it wasnt until 2003 when the first crewmember of an M1A2-Abram actually died, which is a testament to its 25 odd years service so far. I've read somewhere that no Abram has ever been "destroyed" only disabled. There have been a handful of instances since 2003 where M1's have been disabled and a crewmember or two has died, but that was primarily due to the use of very high powered IED where landmines were used in conjunction with like 4 artillery calibur shells. There has also been instances where they have been ambushed by foot soldiers with RPG's, but it took many many salvo's of grenades to actually do any damage do to the tank's stellar armor capabilities.

Its been said that most of the deaths/damge to tank and crewmembers is done by friendly fire.

Posted by Slade

Whoah, feel free to write more about... any of this stuff. It's very interesting.

Interesting... anything about the M4A1 Machine gun, and future repalcements?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Watch Lord of War. Thats all I've got.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

thank *** demonblade's here to ungay this thread

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting theblobishere92: Interesting... anything about the M4A1 Machine gun, and future repalcements?

I know a little bit about it. First, you need a little background on the M16/M4 family. Both guns are, within a fair respect, practially the same. The M4 is just a shorter, more lightweight version of the M16. The M4A1 is just an M4, except the 3 round burst on the M4 has been repaced with a full auto feature. Both guns use the NATO designed 5.56mm cartrige. Back when this ammo was designed, the united states had more of a shoot-to-wound philosophy i guess. Over the years, this calibur has proven somewhat lacking in its stopping ability, espcially when compared to the world's most popular automatic rifle...the AK-47 and its 7.62mm ammunition. The m16 can be broken down into two main parts...its upper reciever which contains all moving parts, and its lower reciever. All problems associated with the m16 deal with some sort of malfunction of the moving parts in its upper reciever.

Up until mid last year there were two main competitors in the race to replace the m16. The XM8 project was discontinued last year, and its basically a more futuristic version of the m16/m4. It shoots the standard 5.56mm ammo, made almost entirely out of composit materials to achieve its lightweight featur, able to be fitted with a 100 round drum clip, and is able to be outfitted with varying barrel lenghts depending on your combat situation.

The only real competitor to become the standard U.S. infantry rifle in the near future is the M468. In all honesty, you cant technically call this weapon an entirely new gun. It takes the lower reciever of an m16 and replaces it with an entirely more reliable upper reciever. The great thing about this gun is that it no longer fires the NATO 5.56mm cartridge. Instead, it fires a 6.8mm bullet, which has roughly 50% more stopping power than that of the m16/m4. Another key feature is that it comes readily able to equip all versions of the military's niftly little attatchments(i.e. night vision and laser sights). The only thing that is holding this rifle back is the fact that it shoots a larger bullet. The department of defense has a hard time adopting a newer gun, especially if that gun entirely eliminates the use for the millions of 5.56mm bullets they already have on hand.

i dont know if this is what you are looking for, but thats about all i know.

Exactly what I wanted