Riviera

Posted by Xenos

I picked up this sweetheart a few days ago - cactus-crusing it already. Anyways! At first, I thought it was stupid, but I kept on playing it and after I got the hang of it [which ... took awhile] I realized how amazingly fun the battle system is. It is a lax "dumbed down" RPG, despite of its kiddy-looking style. In fact, it can be pretty ****ing hard at first and even then, its still not a walk in the park.

Anyone else played this game? And if you don't mind, can you spoil all the five endings for me? [/toolazy]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I know at least a few people in DA, including myself, have played this game. I personally never beat it, so I can't spoil much. But I wouldn't doubt gFAQs has it.

Posted by Ant

http://lacrimacastle.net/?game=riviera

Very good site. It also has all the endings. So download them and watch for yourself!

Posted by Xenos

Wow that site kicks *** ... but what are the bonus CDs?

Posted by Zeta

Japan-only. Just some little drama things that a lot of Japan RPGs seem to have.

I've had this game and been sporting Riviera avatars and sigs for a long time. <3 Fia.

Posted by Xenos

I downloaded it from the site, but I have no idea how to really ... do anything with it. The site does offer some translations so its all good. Now I just have to figure out how to really turn it on.

Posted by Stalolin

I haven't finished it, but very close to the end.

Basically I probably won't finish it because my supplies are running low and the battles have gotten far too annoying.

It's not that I'm not capable of winning, it's that I can't win.

overall, so-so, fun for a little while. Gets lame quickly.

Posted by poisonblood

I liked it alot and I replayed it to get the differint endings.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Stalolin: I haven't finished it, but very close to the end.

Basically I probably won't finish it because my supplies are running low and the battles have gotten far too annoying.

It's not that I'm not capable of winning, it's that I can't win.

overall, so-so, fun for a little while. Gets lame quickly.

How do I shot training mode?

Heh, but then again...I sorta cheated. Before the trap chest game would start I would do a save state so if I messed up I could do it again. Then afterwards if it was a random item slot, I would save state and keep doing it till I got what I needed :angel:

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Ant]How do I shot training mode?

Heh, but then again...I sorta cheated. Before the trap chest game would start I would do a save state so if I messed up I could do it again. Then afterwards if it was a random item slot, I would save state and keep doing it till I got what I needed :angel:

I got the GBA version and didn't have the freedom to do that. =(

So instead I got stuck with like 3 claws that only Serene could use. And I used training mode for every item, my characters are as strong as they can be right now.

Posted by Xenos

[quote=Ant]How do I shot training mode?

Haha, I did the EXACT same thing. In fact, I even went as far as the save state before a overskill to see if I can kill them in one hit or not.

Posted by Ant

Heh, I was always confident when I would kill and wouldn't. And if I didn't, oh well!

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Played Riviera right when it came out, but I never DID get around to finishing it yet. I have nothing but positive things to say about that game however...

There's this one new game that Atlus(I think?) has been cooking up which looks a lot like it also.

Posted by Ant

Yggdra Union. Came out in Japan in March. Doesn't come out here till Fall. I look forward to playing the ROM.

Posted by Xenos

The art style of that game is inferior - but I'll see when it comes out anyways if it is fun as Riviera. My favorite ending was Rose's good one, btw. :cool:

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Ant: Yggdra Union. Came out in Japan in March. Doesn't come out here till Fall. I look forward to playing the ROM.

I'm romming the Japanese version right now. Don't have a ****ing clue what I'm doing.