is The new DS Light better than the old DS

Posted by Dragon Master

i wish to know which is better.[http://www.pinkelotje.nl] well i try get my first img but failed

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The Lite is far better. It's barely even fair to compare them.

Posted by NeXidala

The DS Lite is waaayyyy better.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

If you have the extra $40 or so, the Lite's worth it as a first-time purchase. If you already have a regular DS, it's really a judgement call and what you value in a console. I don't think it's worth the upgrade, myself, but as I said - it's up to how you play the thing.

Definitely get a Lite if you don't have a DS already, though.

Posted by Roger Smith

Eh, I'm tired of buying a handheld, only for a "new and improved" version to come out. I'm fine with my DS regular.

Posted by Dexter

I can actually play games outside in the sun and see what I'm doing with the Lite because of the extra brightness. Also, it slides into my pocket much better. Lite is definitely better.

Quoted post: I can actually play games outside in the sun and see what I'm doing with the Lite because of the extra brightness.

In a good spot of shade anyways. Otherwise I sitll can't see **** :(

Posted by Demonblade

Im quite fond of my PSP, havent played a nintendo handheld since my little brothers gameboy color.

Why it took so long for nintendo to realize that backlit handhelds own all i really dont know. I mean...the Sega GameGear came out in like 1990 and despite its design flaws and relatively short battery life (5 or 6 hrs i thing), it pretty much rocked cuz you didnt need a source of light to play it. Look at nintendo though, still producing units that arent backlit 15 years later, nor do they come standard with a rechargeable battery.

Honestly, its about **** time nintendo stepped up to the plate and made some of that stuff standard. Good thing they haven't gone into the car manufacturing industry, we'd see nintendo cars 'nicely equipped' with 8 track players im sure. Thats just my whole play on the thing...although, in my younger days i did enjoy playing the hell out of gameboys.

And yet, they continued to dominate all comers. Even without backlit screens. Stuff like that just wasn't necessary up until the SP. It wasn't even that practical. The gamegear proved that.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: And yet, they continued to dominate all comers. Even without backlit screens. Stuff like that just wasn't necessary up until the SP. It wasn't even that practical. The gamegear proved that.

Well, not necessarily. The gamegear was a flopped in some instances...like a lot of sega products for some reason. Possibly due to the lack of interesting games, but more apt to the fact that it used a AA batter an hour. Six of those bastards just to get 5 hours of play. Being backlit was about the only thing it had going for it, but that one key feature couldnt outweigh all of its fallbacks.

But, nonetheless, you are right...nintendo has...and likely will always dominate the handheld industry. But, i dont agree with the fact that backlit handhelds weren't practical. Were they expected? No. But practical...absolutely. I cant count how many times i had a fixed lighting in my room...but my bed was like 20 ft away, so i had very poor light quite often. Not to mention the fact that backlit screens can be played much more covertly. If your parents say its time to go to bed, its much harder to get caught playing if they see no light eminating from under you door, rather than having every light in your room on just to play your gameboy.

The reason it had such poor battery life was because of the backlight.

Posted by pokemon007

yeah right

Demonblade: it just wasn't practical. No matter what way you look at it. The technology wasn't developed enough, and the GameGear died because it sucked down batteries fast. Practical doesn't just mean "useful" it also means "efficient." And that technology was far from efficient.

Plus, that's what those snake/ufo lights were for.

The snake lights were awful for glare. The only real third party backlight solution has been the Afterburner.

I actually never had a problem with them. All you had to do was tilt it so the glare wasn't on the screen, and you could see pretty well.

Posted by Arcadios

[quote=Dragon Master]Is the new DS Lite better than the old DS?
Yes.

Posted by Dragon Master

well it seem's to me that many people like the new one better but some people like other thing's as well just wait till nintendo wi come's out that might be better that all game system come dind but ps3 stole the idea for nintendo wi that my be a rip off of money $500 dollars wow rip rip off just buy wii instead.

... what? Why wait for the Wii when the DS is for DS games?

Posted by Dragon Master

well i am just talk about other people idea's in what they think ok.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Demonblade]Why it took so long for nintendo to realize that backlit handhelds own all i really dont know.
The Game Boy Light was released prior to the Game Gear. It didn't sell very well; people preferred the normal GBP.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Klarth: The Game Boy Light was released prior to the Game Gear. It didn't sell very well; people preferred the normal GBP.

Umm...thats entirely wrong. The gameboy light came out in 1997, wich was a full 7 years after the gamegear, and it was only released in japan. And the reason it failed so much was because it was light by one of those gay *** indiglo lights that you find on 14 dollar sports watches. The GB was created in 1987, released in 89 in the US...so you cant tell me they had a backlit version available in the united states only a year after the origional was created. In fact, the backlit gamegear was discontinued even prior to nintendo releasing the gameboy light in japan. And im assuming GBP stands for gameboy pocket, which wasnt released until 95-96 ish.

Posted by GameMiestro

The irony in this is that I find the original DS more comfortable than the Lite. Maybe it's my Shaq sized hands, or just that I'm to used to the classic design... it's just somewhat hard to hold those tiny DS's.

Posted by powerpuff

Quoting Dragon Master: well it seem's to me that many people like the new one better but some people like other thing's as well just wait till nintendo wi come's out that might be better that all game system come dind but ps3 stole the idea for nintendo wi that my be a rip off of money $500 dollars wow rip rip off just buy wii instead.

Does anybody know what the **** he just said?

DS Lite ROCKS!!!!

Posted by ExoXile

Bought my Lite just recently.
I'm happy with the trade, but there are some things I miss about the regular one.
Like the start button, I liked it on the first one.
And the AB/XY buttons felt better on the old one, too...

All in all, the DS Lite's better, but the old one's still good.

Posted by Degeneration

I hated the original DS's clicky cell phone buttons. The DS Lite looks better, it's more comfortable, and best of all, it's shiny.

That's possibly the reason that'll push me into getting a Lite. I always liked the soft buttons of the original GBA, and it was the reason I never got an SP.

Posted by Drewboy64

Ugh, don't compare DS Lite's soft buttons to GBA's. The Lite's are SO much better.
THe clicky buttons aren't bad, but the squish Lite ones are better.