Concrete Differences?

Posted by Alastor

I've got a birthday coming up, and I'd like a rundown on some of the basic differences between the original Xbox and the 360. I don't really care for specs or anything. I'm also not into all of this hi-def stuff; I don't honestly care and even if I did my budget wouldn't cooperate. I just use my Xbox for basic, and might I add legit things. I don't mod it or anything of the sort. So, I'd like some answers.

Regarding the hi-def stuff, I'm currently using a projection TV: A 27" Magnavox.

[list][*]How would I go about transferring my music collection from my PC to the 360?
Is a Windows Media Center Edition operating system or the Xbox Music Mixer required for this?
[*]Are other things (videos, pictures, etc.) also able to be transferred?
[*]Is there honestly that big of a difference playing on an older TV?
Is shelling out the money for an HDTV really worth the difference in graphics?
[*]What all can you do in Live that you couldn't before, and how much of it is free?
[*]Can you rip CD-Rs yet in the same fashion that you rip an album?
[*]Are all or any of the bugs fixed from earlier models?[/list]

Anything else you think I should know, feel free to throw out here. I'm certain I'll get a 360 eventually, but I'd like to get the rundown on this stuff so I can decide if I should try to get one now or get one some time next year.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: * How would I go about transferring my music collection from my PC to the 360?
Is a Windows Media Center Edition operating system or the Xbox Music Mixer required for this?

I believe if you want to do it directly, yes. WMC is needed. But you can use MP3 players and the like to play music if you want.

Quoted post: * Are other things (videos, pictures, etc.) also able to be transferred?

Yup

Quoted post: * Is there honestly that big of a difference playing on an older TV?

There's a noticable difference. Does it matter? Nope.

Quoted post: Is shelling out the money for an HDTV really worth the difference in graphics?

No. Not yet.

Quoted post:
* What all can you do in Live that you couldn't before, and how much of it is free?

Everything. It's completely revamped. It's acutally quite amazing. And everything is free, unless you want to play multiplayer games. Most demos are also free, too. You just have to pay for little things like themes, packs, and so on.

Quoted post: * Are all or any of the bugs fixed from earlier models?

The bugs weren't even that wide-spread. But yes, they are.

Anyways, basically everything's been improved. The controller is probably the best I've used, the games are good, getting better, and Live is awesome. Even silver is pretty cool.

Posted by Alastor

There's USB ports on the system somewhere, right? I've got an MP3 player, and even if it is just a 256MB one, it gets the job done. So, unless data CD-Rs are supported, I'd be loading up my player and unloading it to my 360 256MB at a time? Sounds like a real blast.

k, just tried a CD-R and it works. You can rip it that way. But not using an MP3 player. You can play the songs off it, but you can't actually save them.

As for the USB ports. There's at least one in the back and two in the front.

Posted by Alastor

Hmm, alright. I'll go out on a limb and assume that was a Music CD-R. If you've got a Data one lying around with some songs on it, care to pop it in? If not, don't worry about it.

Posted by Demonblade

yeah, controllers are way the hell better and live rocks the casbah. i pretty much agree with whatever vamp said.

Quoted post: Hmm, alright. I'll go out on a limb and assume that was a Music CD-R. If you've got a Data one lying around with some songs on it, care to pop it in? If not, don't worry about it.

Yeah, music CD. I don't have any data discs lying around, but I think those work too. I've heard people using them to get old Xbox games working on a 360.

Posted by Klarth

IT'S SMALLER, TOO!

Once you get your 360, mod your blackbox. I thoroughly recommend it, and you have little to lose once you get your 360 anyway.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Klarth: IT'S SMALLER, TOO!

Once you get your 360, mod your blackbox. I thoroughly recommend it, and you have little to lose once you get your 360 anyway.

[quote=Alastor]
I just use my Xbox for basic, and might I add legit things. I don't mod it or anything of the sort.

*** **** IT KLARTH THESE ARE THE KINDS OF MISTAKES WE CANT AFFORD TO MAKE

Posted by NeXidala

Yeah, I also have a question and I might as well put it here then making a whole new thread for it:
-Well, I bought my Xbox like 1 1/2 years ago, and I was wondering if I should really worry about getting an Xbox 360? The 360 looks a little complicated as far as Live goes (probably because I have never used it on my Xbox to begin with :bonk: ) And another thing I was wondering...The thing that seems really complicated is getting the songs and videos and stuff onto the 360 from your computer? Can anyone help me? :D

If I were you, I'd get a 360. If you enjoyed the Xbox, you'll most likely enjoy the 360 even more. As for it being complicated, it's actually really simple to use. It only takes a matter of a minute or two to see where everything is and what everything does, and after that, you can do it blindfolded.

As for getting music and videos from your computer to the 360, yeah, that might be a bit more difficult. Unless you have a Media Centre PC, you'll have to stick to CDs or DVDs with the data on them. Though you might also be able to use an external hard drive if you have one... I'll have to check that out though.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Vampiro: If I were you, I'd get a 360. If you enjoyed the Xbox, you'll most likely enjoy the 360 even more. As for it being complicated, it's actually really simple to use. It only takes a matter of a minute or two to see where everything is and what everything does, and after that, you can do it blindfolded.

Hmmmm.....so then what should I do with my Xbox?

Quoting Vampiro: As for getting music and videos from your computer to the 360, yeah, that might be a bit more difficult. Unless you have a Media Centre PC, you'll have to stick to CDs or DVDs with the data on them. Though you might also be able to use an external hard drive if you have one... I'll have to check that out though.

I'll just stick to leaving my music on my computer since I have one in my room. Thanks!

Quoted post: Hmmmm.....so then what should I do with my Xbox?

Anything you want. I personally like to keep all of my old consoles. But you can trade it in for cash, or mod it like Klarth said.

Posted by NeXidala

Mod it in what way?

You can mod your xbox to play burned games. So you can grab a torrent, burn it onto a DVD, and play it through your Xbox. Basically for free.

Among other things.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting s0ul: *** **** IT KLARTH THESE ARE THE KINDS OF MISTAKES WE CANT AFFORD TO MAKE

HE SAYS HE DOESN'T MOD IT, NOT THAT HE ISN'T GOING TO

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Vampiro: You can mod your xbox to play burned games. So you can grab a torrent, burn it onto a DVD, and play it through your Xbox. Basically for free.

Among other things.

Nah, lol I'll just wait until the prices on the Xbox 360 go down and buy one and then I'll sell my Xbox to my cousin or something.

Posted by Alastor

Not to mention that I don't have the know-how or any equipment I'd need. I also don't have a DVD burner. :cookie:

My sister "promised" to get me one for my birthday. Of course this was before Christmas. She was asking if I wanted one, and I'd heard alot about bugs, so I said I'd probably just wait, and maybe the price would go down before my birthday. I don't think there's a huge chance of me getting one, but there can't be any real harm in asking. I could throw in any birthday money I get towards it, too. I either get a 360, a DS and actually a game to go with it unlike the 360, or just some random shirts and DVDs, putting leftover money towards a 360 or a computer. I can get a job after next Wednesday, so I might just go for a cheaper option and buy a 360 myself.

Yeah, the 360 will probably drop in price around thr launch of the PS3. Or stay the same price, but offer bundles. So it might be best to wait a few more months. Plus, by that time quite a few great games will be out.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, the 360 will probably drop in price around thr launch of the PS3. Or stay the same price, but offer bundles. So it might be best to wait a few more months. Plus, by that time quite a few great games will be out.

Dang, but I'll be in a tight spot between either buying the 360 or the PS3.
Hmmm....I should probably buy the 360 first, so in the meantime I can wait for the PS3s' prices to drop.

Yeah, that's what I would do. Plus, the PS3 will probably be full of glitches and bugs. First-gen sony hardware is never something you want to buy.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, that's what I would do. Plus, the PS3 will probably be full of glitches and bugs. First-gen sony hardware is never something you want to buy.

Agreed. So by the time prices drop most of the bugs should be fixed and that also gives the PS3 more time to come out with real good games, because what's the point of buying a console if there are no good games from it?

Posted by Alastor

I'll be buying a 360 anyways for Halo 3, if nothing else. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed already that they weren't giving it a price drop this Christmas to combat the release of the PS3.

Quoted post: I'm pretty sure it was confirmed already that they weren't giving it a price drop this Christmas to combat the release of the PS3.

Right, and that means nothing. Nintendo did the same with the DSL. It's just a way to say "ok guys, keep buying out console, there's no price drop in sight, so don't worry about that." If people know the console is going to be cheaper in a couple of months, they'll wait. MS will obviously then lose money.

Or, like I said, it will become a bundle.

Posted by NeXidala

Wouldn't it be smarter to have a slight price drop on the Xbox 360 so people will be more inclined to buy it since it's cheaper?

Posted by Axis

Hopefully she buys it after August 1st. Rumor is going around that starting that day, you can an Xbox 360 bundled with PGR3, 3 month Xbox Live gold start kit, and 1600 marketplace points. All for....$399. So about 100 dollars worth of stuff for free.

Quoted post: Wouldn't it be smarter to have a slight price drop on the Xbox 360 so people will be more inclined to buy it since it's cheaper?

Like Axis said, instead of dropping the price, they toss in a lot more **** to go with it. So, yeah, the console is much cheaper. About a hundred dollars less, but the price stays the same since you get so much.

Whether that's smarter or not, it depends. People like seeing a lower price, but they also like seeing fantastic deals. And that bundle would be one hell of a deal.

Posted by Alastor

Good point. I'll probably just wait until I see a good deal later this year, then. Much thanks for all of the help.

Posted by muffla

i agree what is the point of buying the cheaper console when you have to shell out another 100 bucks to buy the hard drive anyways? earler this year my dad and i went out to buy an 360 so we could play halo and other big titles (we didnt play them b4 cuz we didnt have an xbox and decided to do so now because he gets to test video games now [url]www.ingameadvertising.com[/url]) but like i said it was too much money and we dicided on a ruglar xbox insted. we r thinkin about getting a 360 but so far none of the titles strcik my fancy

in my opinion not to manny of the next gen titles look that great nothing on the 360 but halo 3 the best thing comin up for the wii is wario ware and mario (and project hammer) and the olny thing for the ps3 is unreal tournament 2007 and im gonna get that for the computer anyways

there ya go now you have my 2 cents

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Axis: Hopefully she buys it after August 1st. Rumor is going around that starting that day, you can an Xbox 360 bundled with PGR3, 3 month Xbox Live gold start kit, and 1600 marketplace points. All for....$399. So about 100 dollars worth of stuff for free.

Well, then it's agreed. When ever there is a great big bundle sale on the Xbox 360, I'm going for it. Then. I'll wait a while, and in the meantime the price on the PS3 goes down or they make a bundle for that, too. :D

Posted by Klarth

PS3 price won't go down until 2008.

You never know. It could drop a bit every year like the PS2 did. Assuming they want to keep the PS3 alive for ten years, they have more than enough room to continually drop the price to keep people interested.

Posted by Alastor

Sorry to bump this after so long, but now I'm actually getting one over a DS. My sister just said that she's putting me one in layaway as a belated birthday gift after she pays off her laptop, which will be in one or two weeks. This time I'm curious about the multiple levels of Xbox Live service. My current account will expire August 31, which will be before I get the 360, I'm almost certain. I'm thinking I'll wait until I get the 360, and then buy a Gold card, since Silver seems to suck.

However, what's this about a Diamond Card? From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure it's just a card you can order if you're a Gold subscriber, but I want to be sure. If that's the case, I really want one of those. Lots of good deals on it. I mean, free Quiznos. Supposedly it's free, but is ordering it online after you set up your Xbox Live account really all you have to do?

Quoted post: I'm thinking I'll wait until I get the 360, and then buy a Gold card, since Silver seems to suck.

Silver is Gold, just without online play. Otherwise, it's the exact same.

Quoted post: However, what's this about a Diamond Card? From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure it's just a card you can order if you're a Gold subscriber, but I want to be sure. If that's the case, I really want one of those. Lots of good deals on it. I mean, free Quiznos. Supposedly it's free, but is ordering it online after you set up your Xbox Live account really all you have to do?

Diamond is basically just a card that allows you to show off your gamertag. Nothing more.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Vampiro: Diamond is basically just a card that allows you to show off your gamertag. Nothing more.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/cardperks.htm

False?

Nope :cookie: But it's still just a card with your gamertag on it.

Posted by Alastor

But it's a card with your gamertag on it that gives you free subs, pizzas, and all kinds of other stuff. Sounds pretty bitchin'. :cookie:

Anyway, does holding off on renewing until I get the 360 sound like a good idea? I may get another new tag when I renew, as much as like ten ninjas rocks.

Posted by Axis

You get a month free of Xbox Live gold when you buy your 360. So as long as you buy it a month ahead of time you're fine.

Quoted post: You get a month free of Xbox Live gold when you buy your 360. So as long as you buy it a month ahead of time you're fine.

I'd by it a month after. More bang for your buck.

Quoted post: But it's a card with your gamertag on it that gives you free subs, pizzas, and all kinds of other stuff. Sounds pretty *****in'.

I don't eat subs, nor use discount cards. *shrugs*

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Axis: You get a month free of Xbox Live gold when you buy your 360. So as long as you buy it a month ahead of time you're fine.

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but you're referring to the Diamond Card, right? I was under the impression that it was free.

Edit: Ninja Vamp. I eat subs, and I would use a discount card if I had any. I would eat more subs if I knew I was getting a free one every time I flash them a card.

Posted by Axis

Uh, no, I'm not referring to the Diamond Card. When you create a profile on your 360 you get a month of Xbox Live gold for the hell of it.

Posted by Alastor

Alright, so the master plan is 360 get, free month get, and 12 month after that month get?

Oh, and are there any worthwhile accessories out yet? I'll be getting the Pro version or whatever it's called instead of Core, so I know I'll be getting wireless controllers. Not sure what else it comes with. The three things I would want that come to mind are the DVD/media remote, wireless controller recharger kit, and the new Xbox Live headset. Do any or all of those come with the Pro version?

Quoted post: Alright, so the master plan is 360 get, free month get, and 12 month after that month get?

Bingo.

Quoted post: I'll be getting the Pro version or whatever it's called instead of Core, so I know I'll be getting wireless controllers. Not sure what else it comes with. The three things I would want that come to mind are the DVD/media remote, wireless controller recharger kit, and the new Xbox Live headset. Do any or all of those come with the Pro version?

It used to come with a remote and headset. Not sure if it still does. Recharger kit is the only other worthwhile accessory.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, don't get the Play 'N' Charge kit. Recharger is only a little bit more and better.