ps3's processor, clearly designed by sony...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3295

If you see little plumes of smoke coming from your ps3 as it freezes up, you'll know that you've blown a few cell cores. If it freezes up without the smoke, that's probably sony's fault, too.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, man, curse sony for making those horrible little laws of physics. I mean, what the hell were they thinking? Why cant they make everything work perfectly all the time every time for only $5? CURSE THOSE EVIL *******S AMIRITE GUYS?

Seriously, fucking lay off the fanboy shit. Yes, it sucks for sony (truth be told it looks to me like they WANT to fail) but its not like they are responsible for the low yeild rate. Thats just the way the manufacturing works with such an intricate chip. Will it suck if you blow a core on the 7 core units? Yup, but guess what? IF YOU DONT WANT TO RISK THAT JUST DONT BUY ONE. Bam, problem solved.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]its not like they are responsible for the low yeild rate.
Actually, yes they are. They designed the processor in a certain manner, and as a result they're getting "amazing potential" but not much that great out of it.

Posted by higbvuyb

Aren't seven of the cores basically only good at calculating floating-point operations (not very useful in gaming) and only one of them actually a 'fast' one? It would suck if that one blew out.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Jesus Christ, 10%? I don't think anyone expected 100% but **** that's low. Hopefully they can figure it out and get more than "double" by the time the console ships, because I do plan to eventually buy one.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Lord of Spam: Yeah, man, curse sony for making those horrible little laws of physics. I mean, what the hell were they thinking? Why cant they make everything work perfectly all the time every time for only $5? CURSE THOSE EVIL *******S AMIRITE GUYS?

Seriously, fucking lay off the fanboy shit. Yes, it sucks for sony (truth be told it looks to me like they WANT to fail) but its not like they are responsible for the low yeild rate. Thats just the way the manufacturing works with such an intricate chip. Will it suck if you blow a core on the 7 core units? Yup, but guess what? IF YOU DONT WANT TO RISK THAT JUST DONT BUY ONE. Bam, problem solved.

I don't see how this one isn't relevant. It's not like they're just not getting them all right, they're getting very few right, and letting people buy ones that are far more likely to fail than others.

"If you don't want to risk it, don't buy one" is a rather ****ty argument, we shouldn't have to miss out on a whole third of the generation because we're scared of the very probable event of us getting a faulty one.

Posted by Fate

I'm sure this will be fixed by launch.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

This sounds like a fatal error in a key spot that needs to be remedied or it could just become useless.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yes, fixed by launch. Because PS1, PS2 and PSP were fixed by launch. Sony didn't have a class-action lawsuit against them for faulty products, not at all.

Seriously though, that yeild sucks. Look's like Nintendo is once again the only company you can trust on launch day. I swear, I wish every consumer electronics company took notice of them. Ever hear of an iPod crashing? Heck yes. What about a GameBoy?

Quoting Lord of Spam: Yeah, man, curse sony for making those horrible little laws of physics. I mean, what the hell were they thinking? Why cant they make everything work perfectly all the time every time for only $5? CURSE THOSE EVIL *******S AMIRITE GUYS?

sony may not have made the accursed laws of physics, but they sure don't care about them when they design their hardware, either.

As for not buying one for fear of getting a faulty one, people wouldn't very well have known to be wary ahead of time if I hadn't told them about it, now would they? No. They'd be in line on launch day and get to play Tekken 6 for all of 5 minutes before a blue screen of death pops up and says "Processor error. We could have made a chip that makes the games look just as pretty without putting 8 delicate little rectangles of heat-absorbing nonsense on it, but we didn't. Buy a new ps3 for full price, rather than wait a week while we fix this one. That way our userbase looks bigger."

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Speedfreak: Yes, fixed by launch. Because PS1, PS2 and PSP were fixed by launch. Sony didn't have a class-action lawsuit against them for faulty products, not at all.

Seriously though, that yeild sucks. Look's like Nintendo is once again the only company you can trust on launch day. I swear, I wish every consumer electronics company took notice of them. Ever hear of an iPod crashing? Heck yes. What about a GameBoy?

I've seen a gameboy crash lottsa times. DS and GBA too.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Phlynthe: I've seen a gameboy crash lottsa times. DS and GBA too.

Yeah but the ****ing Disc doesn't go flying and neither does the square button jam up and not work.

All systems freeze up retard, what the **** kinda argument is that. You're gay and you eat cocks.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Phlynthe]I've seen a gameboy crash lottsa times. DS and GBA too.

Other than on startup because there's dust on the cart or the one time I threw it across the room in frustration, I've never seen a single Game Boy crash. I've heard stories of them being dropping in a swimming pool whilst on pause and, after being fished out, still being totally playable. There there's that famous original GB that survived a shelling in the Gulf War.

There was also one feature in NP that was lost on a lawn for two weeks, rained on, driven over by a lawnmower and practically smashed... but still played games perfectly well. This was a GBC, by the way.

I always thought it was common knowledge that gameboys, or most nintendo products, are built like tanks.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: Other than on startup because there's dust on the cart or the one time I threw it across the room in frustration, I've never seen a single Game Boy crash. I've heard stories of them being dropping in a swimming pool whilst on pause and, after being fished out, still being totally playable. There there's that famous original GB that survived a shelling in the Gulf War.

Yeah, its in New York, Pokemon center, and all burnt and ****ing melted, **** still plays tetris perfectly.

Posted by Lord of Spam

S0ul: think about what you just implied, i.e. that you have a RIGHT to play the ps3. Guess what? ITS A NOVELTY. It is an unneeded peice of equipment that only the rich (in global terms) will be able to afford. Saying that you should be denied the right to own one is like complaining that Ferrari shouldnt charge $15000 for brake upgrade kits since it is prohibitively expensive. Just because its there doesnt mean you deserve it, homes.

Prince shrondifbnvadbf: I dont care if you want to say "Hey, guys, heres an article about how sony has problems with their chips. etc" Hell, I myself agree that they are being retarded. However, that being said, your constant ZOMG SONY BAD I HOPE THAT SONY EXECS GET KILLED OR COMMIT SUICIDE MAN I SURE HATE SONY bull**** is tiring. And to compound it, you actually claim not to be a fanboy. Suck my balls.

Speed: Not to be an ***, but I've never heard of an iPod crashing. I mean, I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it.

Quoted post: Speed: Not to be an ***, but I've never heard of an iPod crashing. I mean, I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it.

I've owned two, and it's happened to both. And my sister's and my friends'. It's fairly rare, but definitely happens.

Posted by Slade

No one will gamble 600 bucks. They'll do something about the problem.

Just like any other company amirite. It's not like we're dealing with Hell Inc. here, trying to swindle our every penny.

Quoting spam:
Whine, whine, whine.

It all comes down to one thing, spam: Who's worse? A guy who hates sony for all they're worth, or a guy who hates another guy he can actually have some sort of contact with for hating sony for all they're worth? If you choose the latter, then just leave my posts the Hell alone and move on with your life. Everyone else gets a good laugh out of them, but you're apparently incapable of appreciating the comedy in the dawn of sony's long, hard fall from grace. Get over yourself, get over sony, get off the internet, and play whatever games make you happy. I bear you no ill will for your persistant antagonization of my jokes.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Lord of Spam: S0ul: think about what you just implied, i.e. that you have a RIGHT to play the ps3. Guess what? ITS A NOVELTY. It is an unneeded peice of equipment that only the rich (in global terms) will be able to afford. Saying that you should be denied the right to own one is like complaining that Ferrari shouldnt charge $15000 for brake upgrade kits since it is prohibitively expensive. Just because its there doesnt mean you deserve it, homes.

What the ****? Where did you gather such an implication? There's nothing remotely hinting at rights there, it's about asking people to pay out the *** for something that will very likely not work. It's not a matter of I HAVE THE RIGHT TO MY PS3, it's saying that it's completely ridiculous for Sony to anally penetrate their fans like this when they KNOW it's a very serious problem.

And your analogy is also absurd. A WORKING CHIP is not an upgrade kit, it's what should be the standard, even if I WAS talking about rights, I think it's fair that consumers should be getting what they paid for. Any way you look at it you're pretty wrong. :)

Posted by Fate

At this price tag, they'd better come up with a solution quickly. Good thing this was found beforehand.

Posted by misogenie

[COLOR="Lime"]Judging by the game screenshots on PS3.IGN.com, PS3 is graphically superior than Xbox360. New improved chips must avoid the plaguing freeze problem, otherwise game developers would kick Sony out the door. Blu-ray movies in high definition picture quality from the console would save me money for buying an extra Blu-ray player. I like the aerodynamic bow-shaped control pad. Thumbs up for Sony.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]Speed: Not to be an ***, but I've never heard of an iPod crashing. I mean, I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it.
Happened to my first-gen, happened to a third-gen I borrowed and I saw it happen to my mother's Nano yesterday.

[quote=misogenie]PS3 is graphically superior than Xbox360.
No; they're about equivalent.

[quote]I like the aerodynamic bow-shaped control pad.
That was phased out a long while ago.

Posted by Lord of Spam

To everyone who felt the need to quote my ipod phrase: did you miss the pare where I'm said "I'm sure it happens"? I'm just curious, since for some reason several people felt the need to try to show that it did happen. FunFact: I ADMITTED THAT IT PROBABLY DID.

shrondiaiedoba: LOL IM OBVIOUSLY JOKING is the oldest and lamest cop in the history of the internets.

s0ul: Sorry, but I interpreted "we shouldn't have to miss out on a whole third of the generation" as being indicative of some sort of right to play video games. To fix the analogy, make it complaining about the fact that clutches on Ferraris only last at best about 5k miles. Does it have a ****ty longevity? Yup. It is rediculously technical and complex? Yup. Do you have a right to access to it? Hell no, its a ****ing luxury item.

Sorry if that wasnt what you were trying to say, but thats the implication that that statement carries.

Posted by Speedfreak

I find it amusing that you're actually comparing a PS3 to a Ferrari. Something quite plain you're not realising, Ferrari don't want everyone to own their cars, Sony want everyone to own their consoles. One is achieving just what they set out to do, the other is trying to paint what's supposed to be a common peice of equipment as a "luxury item".

And what, pray tell, makes PS3 a luxury item anyway? It's about as powerful as Xbox 360, it's losing developer support fast, the controller is a cheap ripoff of some real innovation, it's lost a feature that was standard last generation and to top it all off, no one even wants it's main feature: Blu-Ray. This isn't a luxury item, it's an expensive, poor value peice of junk. Great cars become worth more as time goes on if kept in shape, same doesn't go for consumer electronics.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I wouln't be surprised if the PS3 is delayed if they can't fix this problem before launch date. Either that or lower the number of cores per chip to increase the yields percent. There's still time to fix the problem.

And since i've never had a defective Sony product (specially not a gaming product), i'm not concerned at all.[/COLOR]

Quoting spam:
shrondiaiedoba: LOL IM OBVIOUSLY JOKING is the oldest and lamest cop in the history of the internets.

Why would I need to cop out, spam? No one cares about your posts but you. It's not like everyone is saying "spam is right. You're out of control, Prince." Anyone who doesn't have their head jammed firmly up ken kutaragi's rear has a good laugh with me about sony's continuing misfortune, or at least shakes their head in bewilderment at their situation. You, on the other hand, seem to be trying to convince yourself and as many other people as possible that they're not doing so badly, and that they still deserve your hard-earned cash (as if they ever did). I'm just trying to save you more embarrasment by telling you that Jack Thomson's arguments sound more reasonable and level-headed than yours most of the time.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]I wouln't be surprised if the PS3 is delayed if they can't fix this problem before launch date

I would, if sony misses the christmas rush they would miss there best time to sell. My guess is that their gonna try and fix it asap or make it barable.

[quote]And since i've never had a defective Sony product (specially not a gaming product

Well thank *** and do a dance cuz you sir are living the dream.

Their has been tons of accounts , tests, and even my own accounts of ****ty sony products.

Its been prooven that they are weaker. My cousin had to buy three ps2 that broke for new reason. my friend had to buy three psp for buttons not working.

So you'r lucky.
---

All in all they'll probably get it better neer launch, I hope.

Your friend didn't have to buy three anything. If he'd sent the original systems in for repairs, he could have spent less money and not added to the false impression that sony has a userbase of over 70 million people.

Paul, Jack Thomson is a knobhole of an ex-lawyer who is the biggest crusader against video games in existance. He's made outlandish accusations and filed frivilous lawsuits against video game companies because of his belief that video game violence warps the impressionable minds of young people everywhere.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Oh, you mean Jack Thompson.[/COLOR]

Oh. He would have 'p' on him, wouldn't he?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

CHIPS HAVE LOW YIELDS WHEN THEY ARE FIRST MANUFACTURED.

And the cost just keeps on rising:

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=77088

Ah, not as much of a problem as it might seem, except that Sony are banking on the strategy that the PS3 will dominate as much as the PS2 did, which I can't see happening. For a start, the roles are reversed - PS2 had a head-start on the Xbox and managed to get a higher attach rate because of that. Secondly, it wasn't six hundred dollars.

Sony will only make their money back, really, if the PS3 is as strong against the other two as PS2 was/is this generation, and with the strength of the 360 already out for a year and the price of the Wii, I can't see them fitting their five-year projected model as cleanly as they'd like.

Quoted post: Secondly, it wasn't six hundred dollars.

It was close to a grand here a couple of weeks after it launched and stayed that price for over a few months. And they still could never keep it in stock. If Sony makes it look amazing, people will buy it no matter the cost.

Quoted post: Sony will only make their money back, really, if the PS3 is as strong against the other two as PS2 was/is this generation

I doubt they'll make any money back. Maybe after MS and Nintendo come out with a new console... like ten years down the road, but they've lost so much money and will continue to lose money for so long that it'll be very, very difficult to ever see a profit. But who knows.

Posted by Axis

I still predict that the PS3 wont launch this November.

Quoting Vampiro: And they still could never keep it in stock.

[quote=Axis]I still predict that the PS3 wont launch this November.

Sony limit supply with every console they make to create hype. It'll launch in November, but no-one will be able to get hold of one until March.

I don't think sony will be limiting supply on purpose this time, Wings!

Want to bet?

They might want to limit supply on purpose, but even if they wanted to ship enough that every ps2-owner on the planet could buy one at launch, they'd be stuck with the 10 working ones they'll have assembled by November.

Posted by Apathetic

I bet they have a room full of monkeys working around the clock on this one. Cause right now I would put a lot more faith into the monkey's than sony.

Posted by muffla

lol i think that sony wont gain much if any profit i say this becasue wile they r losing so much money on the saystem thy are getting alot of profit on the games they olny take about 25 cents to make a disk then they sell them for 69.99usd and finally i somtimes forget this and im shure im not the olny one sony dosnt just make games and systems like nintendo they also make tv's camras, cd drives ect.so even if they bomb on the system the games and other **** will keep sony on thir feet

What you're really forgetting (at least I think you're forgetting it in all of that mess), muffla, is that sony computer entertainment is more or less a seperate entity from the sony parent corporation. sony's not going to drain their profits from other consumer electronics, just to keep themselves afloat in the video game industry forever. If they lose enough, quickly enough, and for a long enough period of time, sony computer entertainment will be shut down by the shareholders and their intellectual properties sold to the highest bidders. sony will survive, but sce will die.

Yeah, exactly. And Sony themselves are clever enough to realise that PlayStation is keeping them popular, but also fickle enough to shut down SCEW if the PS3 does as badly as the PSP. Look at Nintendo as an example - instead of shutting down their company, they had to radically change their take on the industry. Since people weren't buying the Cube and therefore developers weren't making games for it, they turned round and said 'okay, don't make those games, make different types of games for a different type of console.'

Sony, being a multimedia company, are much more likely to just axe part of it. There's no denying the strength of the PlayStation brand, but given the losses they're making, if they drop too much in their attach rate it just won't be worth making the PS4.

Just thinking about that makes the world smell a little better.