My Devil May Cry 3 review

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I have finally finished the game (on Easy...). So, I have decided to make a review.

Everyone I know who played DMC2 was dissapointed by it. They cursed Capcom for releasing such an abomination unto the gaming world, as did I. But, I had my hopes high for DMC3. I was not dissapointed.

As you've heard, DMC3 is hard. Very hard. I actually found it to be easier than Ninja Gaiden. Not at first, though. The first boss will wipe out Dante's existance in no time. After that, it gets harder. Once you get Devil Trigger, this game is easier. Much easier.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I forgot to talk about the story.

Dante, young and cocky, gets his bar totally destroyed. After he fights the demons (in an AMAZING cutscene), he goes outside to finish them all off. That's when a giant tower erupts from the ground. On the top is Vergil. Dante, seeing Vergil, decides to go and fight him. And thus, the chaos ensues.

This game is loaded with very stylish moves. The cutscenes are incredible. (On an interesting side note, the action in the cutscenes were choreographed by the guy who directed Versus.) The best part is, however, you can pull off some of the moves from the cutscene. My personal favorite is Free Ride, where he rides an enemy and fires at all the others. The action will leave you breathless.

Another good thing is that you can switch weapons mid-combo. This game really allows you to experiment with combos. For those S rank devil hunters, you will be very familiar with this switching system.

Speaking of weapons, there is a variety of weapons you can choose from, such as Rebellion, Cerebus (nunchaku type weapons), Nevan (guitar sword), and Beowulf (similar to Ifrit). You even get talking swords! Come on! You can't go wrong with talking swords!

Of course, you can't forget the guns. There are some new guns, such as Spiral, a grenade launcher type gun. Of course, you can't forget the old favorites, such as Ebony & Ivory and the Shotgun. For all you Gunslingers out there, you'll love all the new guns.

Speaking of Gunslingers, as you've probably heard, there are certain styles you can choose from. Each style has a special move for whatever weapon you are using. In case you were confused by that, here's the simplified version: If you are in Gunslinger style, you can use a special move with your guns. If you are in Swordmaster style, you can use a special move with your swords. And so on, and so on. Each style specific move is very easy to pull off. Just press Circle. Apart from most of them looking really cool, they can add a lot to your combo.

Now that I've raved about this game, I must critize it a little.

Dante, though he's back to the cockiness we all know and love, is now a weird combination of a devil slayer and... party boy. He's constantly making references about "joining the party" and "getting this party started". What's up with that?

Another thing I didn't like was the fact that Rebellion gets worthless once you get Cerebus. In fact, I barely used Rebellion at all after I got Cerebus.

My last hatred of this game is the Shotgun. In the first game it was pretty fast and useful. In this game, it's SLOOOOW. I hate shotguns now.

Other than those three things, I had a ton of fun with this game. This game makes up for DMC2 and comes close, if not surpasses, the fun I had with DMC1. Though really hard, it is the most fun I've had within the past four years.

FINAL SCORE: 9.8/10 (Gamespot style score)

POST SCRIPT: I think Cerebus is actually Cerberus. I apologize for that. Also, how did I do on the review? It's my first one I've ever posted.

Posted by boomstick

I think you did a good job in your review, you went into good detail about what you liked and disliked about the game and the overall game itself, nice review.

Quoting boomstick: I think you did a good job in your review, you went into good detail about what you liked and disliked about the game and the overall game itself, nice review.

Thank you. I think I got the story wrong, but other than that, I think I did okay. I need to practice more.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, you did a pretty good job on the review. I'll have to pick up DMC3 sometime.

Quoting Angelwing: Yeah, you did a pretty good job on the review. I'll have to pick up DMC3 sometime.

Arigato gozaimasu (thank you very very much)! Yes, I strongly suggest getting DMC3. Get ready for a beat-down, but a very fun beat-down.

Posted by PerpetualAngst

I thought you werent allowed to play M games..

Quoting PerpetualAngst: I thought you werent allowed to play M games..

I played it at my friends house. I forgot to mention that. I apologize for any confusion.