Case Study!

Posted by Xenos

Okay, this was something that Iris showed me yesterday and I thought it would be interesting to post it here.

A WIFE was having an affair with a MAN, the HUSBAND leaves on a business trip one day and the WIFE was scared to cheat on him so she begged him to let her come along. The HUSBAND said no and told her that it was really important, so he leaves promising to return the day later. The WIFE then crosses the river to meet the MAN. She leaves early the morning to return home before the husband does and notes that there was an ASSASSIN wating for her there at the bridge. She goes and finds the FERRYMEN and asks him to take her across the river. The FERRYMEN inquires her for the money which she does not have on her. The WIFE returns to the MAN and begs him for money but he refuses and says that she got herself into the situation. She risks all and tries to run past the ASSASSIN but she does not make it and is stabbed to death.

List all the characters in the story [in caps] in order by who is at fault the most objectively and another one by your moral standards.

Posted by Killer Jordo

The wife I believe.

Posted by Zeta

Wife
Husband
Man
Ferryman
Assassin

Posted by Klarth

WIFE!
ASSASSIN!
MAN!
FERRYMAN!
HUSBAND!

Posted by Slade

Assassin
Wife
Man
Ferryman
Husband
Leaves(it's in caps :o)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wife
Assassin (placed second since I'm not using law as a guide)
Man
Ferryman
Husband

and yeah, I guess leaves.

Posted by Last Fog

Wife
Assassin
Man
Husband
Ferryman

How can you blame the Ferryman for anything? He didn't know her life was at stake. And I'm assuming the Assassin was sent by the husband?

Wait, I'm rewriting mine.

Husband
Wife
Man
Ferryman
Assassin

Posted by Klarth

How is the husband at fault?

Posted by NeXidala

At Fault
--------
WIFE
HUSBAND
ASSASIN
MAN
FERRYMAN

Moral
-------
FERRYMAN
HUSBAND
MAN
WIFE
ASSASSIN

Posted by Xenos

I have no idea why I put leaves in caps.

Posted by NeXidala

Xenos, do you know the correct answer? Or, is there no correct answer seeing as this seems to be a trick question?

Posted by Xenos

No, its an opinion.

Quoted post: How is the husband at fault?

idk, I was just going by "if this person didn't do this wouldn't have happened."

If the husband brought his wife with him, she wouldn't have gone to the man. If the man didn't let her cheat, she wouldn't have met him. If the ferryman didn't make her go get money, she wouldn't have had to ask the man. If the man gave her money she wouldn't have taken her chances. If the assassin wasn't there she wouldn't have died.

Just thought I'd try a different approach. Though there's multiple ways you could do the above I guess.

Posted by Arwon

The story is ambiguous. I'm assuming the husband hired the assasin, here.

HUSBAND
WIFE
MAN
ASSASSIN
FERRYMAN

Posted by Xenos

Yeah. Not my fault there since the originally story didn't say anything about it either.

Posted by Speedfreak

Objective:

Assassin: Because he kills people, duh.
Wife: It's her fault she's in this mess.
Man: He shares the next largest amount of responsibility for the wife being there.
Ferryman: Utter wanker, but he had nothing to do with the whole thing.
Husband: Didn't knowingly try to put the wife in any danger.

Moral:

Assassin: Killing people for a living is always worse than cheating on someone, easily.
Wife: First, she's been cheating. Then she cheats whilst her husband is working. Then the bitch doesn't even bring any money to the man's house, so she obviously expects him to pay for all the food and stuff.
Man: Bros before Hos. And he was quite content to let the woman die.
Ferryman: He could've been expecting the man to pay for it, so probably wasn't sending the woman to her death.
Husband: he's got bugger all to do with all this. Well, except maybe being crap in bed.

EDIT: ...I don't think I did this very well, both orders are identical...

Oh wait, I thought we weren't supposed to account for morals?

edit: fukken edits

Posted by Xenos

The original one say "Then make another list for objective." but apparently I noticed some people didn't get the message.

huh, I read it as " make an objective list (not taking morals/law into consideration)"

oh well.

Posted by higbvuyb

Hmm.

Husband
Man
Wife
Assasin
Ferryman

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Well, morally:

Assassin
Husband
Wife and Man equal
Ferryman

I am assuming that the wife told the man about the assassin, but not the ferryman. I am also assuming the husband sent the assassin, although that may not be the case. But I guess that assumption is part of what makes up the analysis.

In an objective viewpoint, they'd probably be all equal.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Speedfreak: Objective:

Assassin: Because he kills people, duh.
Wife: It's her fault she's in this mess.
Man: He shares the next largest amount of responsibility for the wife being there.
Ferryman: Utter wanker, but he had nothing to do with the whole thing.
Husband: Didn't knowingly try to put the wife in any danger.

Moral:

Assassin: Killing people for a living is always worse than cheating on someone, easily.
Wife: First, she's been cheating. Then she cheats whilst her husband is working. Then the bitch doesn't even bring any money to the man's house, so she obviously expects him to pay for all the food and stuff.
Man: Bros before Hos. And he was quite content to let the woman die.
Ferryman: He could've been expecting the man to pay for it, so probably wasn't sending the woman to her death.
Husband: he's got bugger all to do with all this. Well, except maybe being crap in bed.

EDIT: ...I don't think I did this very well, both orders are identical...

Heh. You gave somewhat identical reasons, too.