Baten Kaitos Origins

Posted by Dexter

The first Baten Kaitos was a blast. Incredibly pleasing adventure with a terrific story and gorgeous environments. The characters were amusing and intriguing and it was difficult to see the game end and say the goodbyes. Although Tales of Symphonia is my favorite RPG for the Game Cube, Baten Kaitos comes in a close second. I have high hopes for Baten Kaitos Origins. It's a shame that it is receiving such a late release. I'm looking forward to this more than Super Paper Mario.

The thing is, I don't know much about this upcoming released. I've not been able to find much information on it so I am left to wonder about it and let my imagination seize my ideas. I don't even know if Namco is behind it. Does anyone have any interesting information about it? Anyone looking forward to this game? What are your thoughts on the first?

Posted by Klarth

I didn't know there was a sequel. Looks like I'll have to check out the original now, too.

Posted by poisonblood

The original was great. I am definitly going to buy the sequel.

Posted by s0ul

When I found out it was delayed from its supposed June release a few months ago, I killed somebody. baten kaitos rulz

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Klarth: I didn't know there was a sequel.

Actually, as little as I know, I do hear it is going to be a prequel, hence the Origins. I wish I could find some decent screenshots or something. I'm curious as to what characters from the original are going to be involved in this game.

Posted by s0ul

Just go to IGN, man, there's like 900 videos. And wikipedia.

Posted by Dexter

Quoted post: Instead of each character having their own deck of Magnus cards, all characters take cards from a single deck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baten_Kaitos_Origins

That's a disappointment. I liked how each character had a different set of Magnus cards. It strengthened their characters and helped individualize them instead of making them seem like a single team with a set of expectations that they can all follow. Savyna just wouldn't have been so gnarly if she was sharing her Magnus cards with everyone else.

Posted by s0ul

Savyna sucked. kalas mizuti lyude 4 lyyyyfe

Posted by Dexter

I couldn't get into Mizuti. I liked his introduction, the area and his song, but I think he came into the story a little late and I already had my connections established with the other characters.

Posted by s0ul

His, huh? Somebody didn't finish Baten Kaitos. ;)

Posted by Dexter

Ah, that's right! I totally forgot about that. It's been so long since I finished it. I should go through it again. I bet I would appreciate it even more the 2nd time through.

Posted by Dexter

Another matter is how this is such a late-gen game. If history has taught me anything, it's how late-gen games become quite valuable later on. It's best to grab this gem before it becomes too difficult to do so. Same for Super Paper Mario.

Posted by Bebop

I never touched the original. I'm not really into card RPGS plus the characters and voice acting made me want to commit genocide.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah a lot of the voices were awful, it didn't bother me unless my friends were there making fun of it. :(

Posted by Xero

I enjoy playing Baten Kaitos, because I love RPGs, but this one had a lot of dialogue. I thought they could have cut some a bit. Aside form that, the way you fight with the cards is pretty cool.

Posted by Dexter

I've recently discovered that I really enjoy the dialogue/story. I'm currently playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and the thing I look forward to most when returning to the game is observing the story as it unfolds. I think what got to me most when it came to Baten Kaitos was the story, especially the ending, which left me in awe. I was amazed about how I felt as if I learned something from the game, as if it upgraded my morality. The story helps me grow attached to the characters and gives me motives for continuing the conquest, making the game more enjoyable and definitely more interesting to play. The style used for the voices doesn't usually bother me, either. Maybe through the practice of exposure I have grown use or immune to its annoyances.

I'm really getting excited for this game. Fire Emblem has certainly been occupying my game time though and has taken away any need for patience.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: The story helps me grow attached to the characters and gives me motives for continuing the conquest, making the game more enjoyable and definitely more interesting to play.

You know what? I agree with that. A story for every VG is entertaining, and dialogues are made to be sorta funny or give us more information on how to go on.

I confirm, but I just think that Baten kaitos has too much dialogue. The story is great, but sometimes they just put dialogue for no reason (they dont say anything accurate) so I think they should cut some a bit.

Posted by s0ul

I never found the dialogue excessive. The plot rocked hard. Not so much the Malpercio side of things as that was very generic but Kalas's story was ****ing awesome. The wait for Origins is eating my insides. :(

Posted by Xero

You're right. That part of the story was great.

Posted by s0ul

Picked it up today, absolutely loving it so far. Combat's a lot different but I like it quite a bit, Guillo's a total badass, and Sagi's a lot cooler than Kalas. Good stuff!

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Yeah it was the first time I fought this way. It really seems like a REAL combat. The card system is a bit annoying sometimes. I wish some special cards would come back a bit more often though.

It sucks that we can only save one game. I have to share my game with my lil brother and he's not as good.
[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

I started the adventure. Only at the first save point, but it's a good start. I enjoyed the water-colour style opening and the voices, so far, don't seem to be a bother. They're actually enjoyable. I hope there's lots of vocal dialogue.

And Flame Ghost, I didn't look too hard, but it seemed as though you could save in more than one file. I thought I saw an option of 6 total save files. If not, you could always get yourself another memory card to keep them seperate. The game doesn't take much memory, so you could get a really cheap one.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter:
And Flame Ghost, I didn't look too hard, but it seemed as though you could save in more than one file. I thought I saw an option of 6 total save files. If not, you could always get yourself another memory card to keep them seperate. The game doesn't take much memory, so you could get a really cheap one.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Cool I din't think of that. I'll get a memory card. I'm pretty sure thought the game itself cannot save more than one game at the time. I'll look again, but I never found more than one slot for a game. Sucks. :( [/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

You're probably right, then. I only played for about 10 minutes.

I can't wait to get to that level with the clay figures or something. It might be like the candy level in the last one. The candy level and children's literature-looking level were both rad.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: You're probably right, then. I only played for about 10 minutes.

I can't wait to get to that level with the clay figures or something. It might be like the candy level in the last one. The candy level and children's literature-looking level were both rad.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]You only played for 10 minutes? Mah-ha! I thought the 3 first worlds were awesome. It's not too hard and it's fun to slowly get new people in the gang and get new magnet cards. You should get into it very quickly, trust me ;) [/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

Oh, I know I'll get into it quickly. I just haven't had the time to do so yet and I want to have at least two hours before I play it so I can make some serious progress and get involved. I couldn't help but at least get started, though, and reach that first save point. I probably won't get around to actually finishing this game until the end of the month. Fire Emblem took me an entire month to conquer.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]A month? Man! I spend so much time training to get levels. Seeing the fights are longer than regular FF fights, it could actually take me at least 2 hours to get a level. Insane. I dunno how much time you have, but a month? Maybe I'm just slow...[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

A month seems like a long time for one game to me. It's not that I believe the game would take me very long, but more like the opportunity to play it would. I usually have a lot of time during the weekend, but other than that, I don't get much time in for games. I wasn't able to play it at all today.

I usually level up only up to the point I believe I need to be to successfully complete the upcoming conquest. Sometimes I'll level up a little extra, but that depends on the circumstances and how content I feel about my current abilities. Sometimes I get a little too brave, to the point of being foolish, and I rush in the next area without taking the proper time to level up first. Also, I sometimes forget how much easier RPG games are today than they used to be, let's say, back in the NES or Super NES days. I spent hours leveling up on those 4 Dragon Warrior games for the NES in order to win. Those were tough games in comparison.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I've never played old RPG games. The oldest one I've played was Final fantasy 1 and 2 Dawn of souls, but that was a re-make for the GB advanced. I must admit that was hard, because a boss would cast 3-4 spells and kill you if you were in the high levels (Khaos for example) But I'm off topic now am I?

If you play a lot during the week-ends, then I see you complete the game in 4 week-ends, yeah. I just play lil hours here and there. Training in Baten kaitos Is long. I thought it was... But I also tend to rush when I get impatient. Usually I make sure my stats are at the best they could be for that world. Usually they are until I meet a boss. The boss has so much HP and can block your special shots.

I remember doing a Dragon uppercut or a Cristal shot and only dealing 70 damages T_T[/COLOR]

Posted by Dexter

I usually enjoy the process of leveling up, especially when there are aspects to upgrade other than your experience, like Magnus cards. I remember in the last level of the original Baten Kaitos, I must have taken about 3 hours leveling up for the final fights. I wanted to get all the best Magnus I could and make sure my characters were strong enough to survive the brutal battle. Sometimes I underestimate what's coming up and think I am high enough level only to find out that I am a wimp in comparison.

I might have a good opportunity to play it a lot today. I'm curious as to how much leveling up I'm going to have to endure.

How's the story so far? Is it on par with Baten Kaitos? Does it connect the two somehow?

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]The story? Well considering you've only started playing for 10 minutes, you haven't heard much about anyone's story.

Once you finish talking to everyone in the very first village, you go to a forest where you fight wolf/tiger-type creatures with basic cards. Explore the village. I remember that there is a house where you find 2 cards ;)

Basically, fight the creatures, leave none behind and you'll fight your first boss. You'll be 2 for that fight, because you're going to help someone (not spoiling the suspense though)

Anyways, I'm spoiling the game. The beginning is fun. The boss won't be too hard, don't worry. [/COLOR]

Posted by poisonblood

I have been trying to find this game for a while and my efforts have been fruitless .It would seem as if the game retailers in my area do not carry the game.

Posted by Dexter

Since it had such a late release, I have a feeling that it will become of some value on eBay in the future. Late released games get that often.

I've made some decent progress. I like Milly surprisingly more than Xelha. Xelha was just too good of a character when it comes to morals. Milly is much more real to me, with her attitude. She's also got a lot of mystery to her that allures me. Some of her facial expressions remind me of Mandy Moore though.

I keep getting side-tracked and by the time I'm done playing I feel as though I made little progress. I spent over an hour in the coliseum and only went up one rank! Great game.

Posted by s0ul

Jesus Christ, there's a ****ing ridiculous boss at the start of disc 2! If I don't beat this game before Wii comes out I know I never will, so I'm pretty worried about not being able to beat it. I've messed with my deck a ton and tried many many times, different strategies, and I just keep getting owned. Tough, tough, tough.

Posted by Dexter

Is there a place to level up before the boss or should I make sure to do that before I move on to disk 2? I forget if you can go back to the old disk once you hit that point or not.

I better defeat this game before Wii is released. I don't think I'm even 25% through the first disk though, but I'll be able to spend plenty of time on it tomorrow, hopefully.

Posted by s0ul

Level before you go to disk 2, for sure.

Posted by Dexter

What level were you and what level would you suggest I get to before I press forward?

Posted by s0ul

I'm 23, my HP went up while I was repeatedly doing Try Again which I don't understand! I'm not THAT far off beating it, you could probably do it at my level, but make sure you've got a ton of bandages and good armor for everyone (I have nothing but effin' Nixie Garb for Guillo, he just gets slaughtered).

Posted by Dexter

I just finished with the Lava Caves. My deck class was raised to 8 so I can now carry 8 decks, but I only use 1 anyway. Does anyone actually set up separate decks? I suppose it would work decently if you wanted to set them up using different elements.

My level is now 19, so I don't feel too far from your position, sOul. How far into the game are you, Xero?

Posted by Burrito

Yeah, I fought that boss, he was really annoying. I was stuck without any way to level up because I had just saved. I finally beat it using a lot of mattresses (to put those peky chicks to sleep) and an efficent deck (with only 40-45 cards, so it maximizes the amount of time that the same cards show up). I actually don't use any defense equipment at all, I find it useless, just offense. It was a long battle, over 48 mintues, but I was so relieved to finally defeat it.

Dexter, you have quite a bit to go before disc 2. It doesn't start until you head to Anuenue. Just make sure to save on a separate file after you reach disc 2 and you should be fine.

So, I've been playing this game a lot and I'm really impressed. It basically improves over everything from the original Baten Kaitos. The battle system is a lot more fast paced, the dialogue is less cheesy, the voice acting has IMPROVED a lot, the story is more interesting, it gives you more room for quest magnus to make side quests less annoying, wing dashing can be used for moving about faster, etc. I also like the constant allusions to the original Baten Kaitos. The only thing that dissapointed me is that you only get 3 characters in your party. I was really hoping that a younger charcter from the orginal Baten Kaitos would join you, especially a villain would have been awesome. It's too bad that this game probably won't sell very well, hopefully that doesn't stop future sequels from being made.

Posted by Dexter

I was just thinking about that, the future of Baten Kaitos games. I heard about one being created for the Nintendo DS. I'd like to see that happen.

The voices and dialogue are far more superior to the original Baten Kaitos. I actually enjoy listening to them and their voices definitely gives the game lots of extra flavor and makes listening to what they have to say more interesting. And they speak so much more in this game.

Every once in awhile I save an extra copy in another file just in case I come across something that forces me to backtrack. So far, my adventure has been moving smoothly, although I'm sure I'll hit heavy turbulence soon. That boss at the start of disk 2 must be quite the challenge. Thanks for the heads-up.

I Just finished getting all the RP points on rank 2 in the coliseum. Took a long time but I leveled up and gathered TP in the process, so I'm feeling good. Maybe I got enough TP to raise another deck class. I'm hoping to make much more progress tonight.

Posted by Burrito

Wow, I just got to the big twist after fighting a very difficult battle. I wasn't expecting it, at all. It was awesome. Even more surprising than the twist in Baten Kaitos.

Quoted post: I was just thinking about that, the future of Baten Kaitos games. I heard about one being created for the Nintendo DS. I'd like to see that happen.
I think that the DS game has been delayed indefinitely, I haven't really seen any info about it since the announcement.

I'm not really sure what they could do with another Baten Kaitos game. I doubt there would be another prequel, Origins looks like it will pretty much explain everything. If they came out with a direct sequel, it would have to take place on the earth, which loses the whole islands in the sky feeling of the baten kaitos games. Maybe a sort of alternate universe like the Final Fantasy sequels? It would be awesome if they made it epic and gave it multiple chapters, like a xenosaga or .hack// game. I doubt that would happen, though, because the other Baten Kaitos games haven't really made enough money to justify a high budget project like that.

Posted by GameMiestro

I heard this game was pretty bad. Is it really worth playing?

Posted by Burrito

I don't know where you heard that from, but I think the game is awesome. I say that it is definitely worth getting, especially since it will probably be the last good game for gamecube.

Posted by Dexter

It is the last good game on Game Cube. Great ending, I say. I'm still on the first disk, but I am enjoying the game greatly. I would suggest it to you, as long as you're into RPG games and are looking for an interesting story. It seems as though everyone here who has it is really loving it and that doesn't surprise me at all. I give credit to the original Baten Kaitos for getting me into RPG games so much.

Posted by s0ul

Still can't beat the boss at the start of disk 2. I'm starting to lose faith in myself.

Posted by Burrito

Have you tried using mattresses? They're useful.

Posted by Dexter

Last night was fun. I finally met with Wiseman. He actually scared us. Maybe because the sub-woofer gave his deep voice what it needed to be extra freaky and grim. He was actually quite convincing with his ideas. All that "a heart of magnus is eternal" and "because the flesh in inessential" made the attemption of fighting feel unbecoming.

But now I'm in big trouble. I took all this chronic fatigue and it is bothering the team. I have to find that Pacman or something.

sOul, I'm already at level 26 and I'm still pretty far from where you are. You probably just needed a little more leveling up before you got that far, but then again, I'm amazed that you could get that far without being a higher level.

Halt the promachination!

Posted by Burrito

Did you free quezman? Just go to his house and he will give you pacman.

Posted by Dexter

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do but I was going to dedicate tonight to figuring it out. You just saved me a lot of time, I'm sure. I was thinking there was probably a way to use it in a mixture, too.

Posted by Burrito

Yup, freezing rain + flame + chronic fatigue = fresh air.

You can also get rid of it by just waiting. It goes away after a while.

Posted by Dexter

I'm progressing well into disk 2 now. I recently finished with the Celestial Tree. The bird at the start of disk 2 was difficult, but I defeated the feathery foe on my third Try Again.

The best advice I can offer up is to aim for the baby birdies so the big birdie takes time producing eggs. Also. The little birdies kept healing the bigger bird whenever I had him low on life, so definitely remove the little birds towards the end, when the enemy shows weakness in stance. I used that claw to occasionally get a peak at the enemy HP.

Posted by Cruxis

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I Just got my copy to day, I hope it is as good as the sequel.[/FONT]

Posted by Burrito

Well, I just beat the game. I'm not sure what to say. It was good, but I felt it could have used more closure. It just ended so suddenly.

Posted by s0ul

Heh, I had some friends over, left for a bit to drop something off somewhere, came back and my friend had beaten the bird for me. THAT'S GOOD I SUPPOSE.

Posted by Dexter

I'm surprised your friend picked up the battle structure so quickly. I would think it would intimidate someone and turn them away. Just to observe it makes them bewildered, but to come in the midst of the game and start playing it must really put them into perplextion. Do you have any idea what he did to defeat the birdy that you didn't think of?

I posted the following somewhere else earlier today, but thought I'd put it here anyway...

Quoted post: ARRG! I am supposed to help Sagi, Milliarde, and Guillo with the machinization policy before the end of the month. I only have a few more days left to put a halt to the promachinization, which unfortunately may not be enough time! We've been working so hard on it the entire month. I've already dedicated about 50 hours of October to the assignment. It might not take us much longer though. Maybe tonight I'll get together with them and who knows, maybe we'll conclude this mission and satisfy our aspirations. They always get so side-tracked, though, especially Milly, which turns something simple and easy into a 5-hour escapade! She wanted to show us this waterfall that supposedly changes colours and she got all excited about showing us this design she made out of rocks when she was a child, then when we got there we discovered that a huge birdy put her nest where Milly's rock design was and destroyed it! Milly got totally turbulent and went all ballistic on the poor, innocent bird and the birdies babies. I was fairly upset with Milly for her emotional breakdown and the harm she bestowed upon the feathery birdy, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to aggravate her even more. The girl already had a lot on her mind and her father has been giving her a lot of trouble lately. My 7 sisters taught me better than to go causing an emotionally upset and psychologically disturb girl more trouble. Yelling at them for the things they do when they breakdown will only break them down more, making them feel awful and as if that is who they are. I don't want Milly to feel like she is an awful person, because she really isn't. She's honestly quite the sweetheart, always trying to make Sagi and me happy, with a usual perky attitude and a wonderful, make-you-feel-good smile. It's just that this machinization policy has really been giving her a hard time. She will be much happier when it is all said and done, I'm sure, which is why I need to help them out. Milly is actually my biggest motivator. I'm dedicated to fighting for justice, of course, but focusing in on someone's particular needs and aiming to make them happy seems to build me up for the job more. We really should get our magnus together and finish with this before the end of October.

haha. Yeah, I'm pretty close to concluding the game. I didn't get the chance to play it at all today, but I have a feeling I'll have enough time tomorrow to defeat it.

Posted by s0ul

Oh, he has it, about 15 hours farther than I am.

Posted by Dexter

I beat it yesterday. The ending didn't have as much of an impact on me as the first, but it was still excellent, nevertheless. It's difficult to discuss it without spoiling it, but I was a little confused with Guillo's conclusion.

And a word of advice from someone who made a mistake, make sure you save an extra file before defeating it so you can load that file in the future to explore all the islands and continue with whatever side-quest and Sedna magnus activities you have left.

Posted by Burrito

Yeah, the ending most certainly was unsatisfying.

Posted by Dexter

I wasn't necessarily unsatisfied by it, it just wasn't as excellent as the original. I suppose it was about what I expected. I would have liked it if they had a longer water-colored art ending. That final scene was so fast and it did leave me wanting more. The ending of the original made it feel so much more epic and the characters so much more important and it was very memorable.