Hard Drive/OS error.

Posted by Alastor

More problems, big suprise. We've come by a second computer, and it's quite the POS. Anyway, my dad's got everything running in time concerning hardware, and now the software's giving us trouble. I'm not exactly sure of the problem, but it's like nothing will run. We've made some progress, though.

When the problem first started, it was just a blue screen. Then we got something resembling a Windows Setup menu in some unreadable text. Now we've actually got the startup functional for the most part. We've even got to the login screen. Note that the operating system is Windows 98. In setup, it says Win98/200, if that matters.

Anyway, when it comes to the login screen, we get alot of error boxes for what look like critical system processes (Most include 32. The only one I can give you now is rundll32). We've made our own username and password, and then tried just cancelling. Both got us past the little login box, but then we get a few more errors.

We tried using the Windows 98 installation disc from our old computer, but it gives an error when we try to replace the OS. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix some of this, and if you need more info, such as specific error names, let me know.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Alastor: More problems, big suprise. We've come by a second computer, and it's quite the POS. Anyway, my dad's got everything running in time concerning hardware, and now the software's giving us trouble. I'm not exactly sure of the problem, but it's like nothing will run. We've made some progress, though.

When the problem first started, it was just a blue screen. Then we got something resembling a Windows Setup menu in some unreadable text. Now we've actually got the startup functional for the most part. We've even got to the login screen. Note that the operating system is Windows 98. In setup, it says Win98/200, if that matters.

Anyway, when it comes to the login screen, we get alot of error boxes for what look like critical system processes (Most include 32. The only one I can give you now is rundll32). We've made our own username and password, and then tried just cancelling. Both got us past the little login box, but then we get a few more errors.

We tried using the Windows 98 installation disc from our old computer, but it gives an error when we try to replace the OS. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix some of this, and if you need more info, such as specific error names, let me know.

Holy cow... thats kinda crazy. I am not telling you to upgrade or anything, but why do you still use Win 98? You know MS cut support for it back on the 11th right?

Anyhow if you don't have anything important on this computer (doesn't sound like it from what you were saying about trying to replace the OS), then I would just use a 98 boot disk and FDISK the whole thing and start over.

Posted by Alastor

Well, that's what we're trying to do. Nothing of ours is on the computer, and I don't think we have an installation disc for any other OS. I'm thinking about trying our system restore discs for this computer on it, since they're both HP Pavilions. We're not trying to turn it into a good computer, just a functional secondary. If we can pull it off, my dad doesn't care to put this one, which is practically mine, in my room, and leave the crappier one out here for any company to use.

Anyway, I thought I'd went into enough detail, but starting from scratch is what we're trying to do, but it gives us an error when we try to use the "Continue with setup and replace your current operating system" option on the CD.

Posted by Apathetic

What error, it might help to know.

Posted by higbvuyb

Use your restore disk, it's the easiest way to fix windows.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Alastor: Well, that's what we're trying to do. Nothing of ours is on the computer, and I don't think we have an installation disc for any other OS. I'm thinking about trying our system restore discs for this computer on it, since they're both HP Pavilions. We're not trying to turn it into a good computer, just a functional secondary. If we can pull it off, my dad doesn't care to put this one, which is practically mine, in my room, and leave the crappier one out here for any company to use.

Anyway, I thought I'd went into enough detail, but starting from scratch is what we're trying to do, but it gives us an error when we try to use the "Continue with setup and replace your current operating system" option on the CD.

Don't try to do it with the CD. If the operating system is still on there, and it's giving you errors, you want to FDISK the whole thing and blast away all partitions. What you need is a Windows 98 Boot disk. I can give you the program to make one if you don't have a working Windows 98 computer.

Posted by Trigger

Or, you could just boot to your operating systems CD and choose to 'install' and delete current partition by pressing 'D' when prompted with which partition to install on. FDISK is so obsolete now, it's laughable that you still mention it, Protoman - it's only ever good for Linux boot loader issues. Forget "system restore," all that **** is overrated and worthless if you never once made a system restore point.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I'd try installing Red Hat Linux or Knoppix since there free and are pretty reliable.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Phlynthe: I'd try installing Red Hat Linux or Knoppix since there free and are pretty reliable.

Except, you know, IT'S A HARDWARE PROBLEM AND HE WANTS TO USE WINDOWS.

Idiots who immediately rush in and suggest "install teh linux!!" are ****ing annoying.

Posted by keyartist

It depends what the real problem is, I installed new soft/hardware on my computer and It wouldn't let me on the internet, It would say Error no signal, and if thats your case if you have dailup and some of your hardware is pluged into your computer then your computer is reading the hardware as a modem, just unplug all hard ware then log in, after you log in its safe to plug everything back in. But only if thats your problem.

Posted by Klarth

Wow, that was a train wreck of a post. I'm pretty sure I can hear mutilated internet passengers moaning in mortal pain.

Posted by keyartist

Whats wrong with it?

Posted by Alastor

I don't think bumping this a month after was too necessary since we kind of just gave up on it and are getting an equally crappy computer that actually works and doing... something with it. We'll have this one which isn't all too great, another that's worse, and my sister's getting a laptop at the end of the week. Maybe I'll get this one in my room, if I'm lucky. Anyway, I don't need any more help on this. We'll probably just try to sell it to someone.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=keyartist]Whats wrong with it?
Try: everything. Face it, some people on the Internet should not give technical advice and you happen to be one of those people. If you can barely construct a legible sentence, this thread is not for you.