Serenity vs Starwars

Posted by Drewboy64

You might say it's hard to compare these two movies, but what the hell.

Which one is better? I prefer Serenity becuase it doesn't rely soley on action, and the writing is actually good, let alone decent.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Drewboy64]I prefer Serenity becuase it doesn't rely soley on action, and the writing is actually good, let alone decent.

...There are no words. Jesus.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, are we comparing Serenity and Firefly to all six star wars movies, or just the original Star War to Serenity?

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'll admit it. I got pretty choked up when MASSIVE, GIGANTIC SPOILERS [spoiler]wash got killed.[/spoiler]I really liked his character, and felt a sort of connection to him, since I'm sort of a goofball geek too. Serenity was an excellent film that explained some of the questions that FireFly left unanswered, but had an unsatisfactory ending, I felt. Overall, though, I loved it.

Star wars has, lets face it, been ruined by the new series. If it was just a question of serenity+firefly vs old star wars, it would be tough, because the old movies not only rock hardcore, but also bring back fond childhood memories of hours spent geeking out. That being said, the new movies were steaming piles of monkey feces that dont deserve the star wars name.

The winner is serenity.

Posted by Arcadios

I have yet to see serenity but I watched all the Star Wars and like them alot.
I realised I liked Star Wars alot when I went to go see episode III with my friend and had to piss when the movie got to the part where Macewindu bit the dust but said if I really got to go then I'll go in my pepsi cup.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Klarth: ...

...There are no words. Jesus.

Uh, yes there are.
The writing in Firefly is also good, like the badass quote in my sig.

I enjoy watching Starwars films, but the writing is just terrible. "I've got the higher ground!"

Posted by Lord of Spam

i remember that episode; the train robbery. That was one of the reasons that the show was so amazing. It did things that no other show had done before, and on top of that, it protrayed the heros in a light that no hero had ever been cast in. Pure genius.

Yeah, I agree with LoS. The part where (read his spoilers) died was actually kinda sad. So they did a really good job at having the audience connect with him. Plus, it was really sudden and after a part where you're like "jesus christ, I can't believe they made it out alive."

Star Wars never really did that for me. Plus, it's been tainted by massive amounts of faggotry.

Serenity wins.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Serenity made me care about and connect to both the universe and characters.

Star wars was just fun to watch.

Truth. I figure if Star Wars didn't have light sabres it would suck. Serenity on the other hand relied on nothing retarded like that. It was all about the characters and the interactions between them. Which, of course, guarantees win.

Posted by Dexter

Star Wars because I really adore puppets.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I never liked Serenity or Firefly. Others would disagree, but I just felt like they were trying to pull off some new age Star Trek and that just doesn't fly.

Anyway, Star Wars will always get my vote in any Sci-Fi category. Even though there were only six movies (while Serenity and Firefly had a movie and 14 episode series), I felt a bond much easier towards Luke and his journey, his mission, whatever you want to call it, compared to Malcom (was it?) and his entire crew. When Darth Vader said, "No. I am your father." I was completely blown away, and it just brought a whole nother dimension to the movies for me. And Episode VI was just amazing, despite the Ewoks, but who could hate something so cute (but you want to strangle them anyway)?

Before this rant goes on, I'll finish with this: I liked Farscape more than Firefly and Chiana is hotter than both Zoe and Inara.

Posted by Drewboy64

[IMG]http://www.njoproject.com/files/dcon/Chiana.jpg[/IMG]
...you mean her?

Personally, I think bonding with Malcolm Reynolds and all the characters is really easy, and it's cool how all 9 characters serve a purpose; without them it wouldn't be the same.

Quoting Drewboy64: http://www.njoproject.com/files/dcon/Chiana.jpg
...you mean her?

Personally, I think bonding with Malcolm Reynolds and all the characters is really easy, and it's cool how all 9 characters serve a purpose; without them it wouldn't be the same.

No, I mean a good picture of her like:

http://www.waterholes.com/~dennette/friends/chiana/chipix.jpg

Posted by Lord of Spam

I've only seen a few episodes of farscape, but I like what I've seen. I actually had a debate with my roommate about whether or not she was hot (he argued that being blue eliminates it, I argued that one should hit it like ones life depended on it).

Still though, I cant really see how anyone could follow star wars more. They arent people, they're movie characters. You know who the good guys are, and you know who the bad guys are, and its all nice and clear cut, completely unlike real life. However, Firefly has characters with flaws. Both Zoe and Mal were willing to do whatever it took to live, but had to regularly juxtapose that against their morals. Hell, the whole crew is more believeable.

edit: zoe is hotter, but thats subjective

Quoted post: I've only seen a few episodes of farscape, but I like what I've seen. I actually had a debate with my roommate about whether or not she was hot (he argued that being blue eliminates it, I argued that one should hit it like ones life depended on it).

She's not hot.

Quoting Lord of Spam: I've only seen a few episodes of farscape, but I like what I've seen. I actually had a debate with my roommate about whether or not she was hot (he argued that being blue eliminates it, I argued that one should hit it like ones life depended on it).

Still though, I cant really see how anyone could follow star wars more. They arent people, they're movie characters. You know who the good guys are, and you know who the bad guys are, and its all nice and clear cut, completely unlike real life. However, Firefly has characters with flaws. Both Zoe and Mal were willing to do whatever it took to live, but had to regularly juxtapose that against their morals. Hell, the whole crew is more believeable.

edit: zoe is hotter, but thats subjective

The only person in Firefly I'd give way to is Kaylee, she's got some cute smile.

And on the topic of following Star Wars, sure, there's things you can do in a series that you can't in a movie, but that didn't make Star Wars any less epic.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Sean the Wicked: No, I mean a worse picture of her like:

http://www.waterholes.com/~dennette/friends/chiana/chipix.jpg

fixed

Morenna Baccarin's (Inara) pretty hot.

But yeah, I like how the characters have realistic qualities and whatnot, like the way

Jayne tried to turn in Simon and River

Posted by Jonnymovgamer

Star Wars gets my vote. Its not realistic to compare a film based off a tv show to a series that has spawned six films.

Posted by maian

Well, Star Wars is a very badly made film[s]. The acting is typically horrible, the writing is really bad, and sometimes, special effects are completely overrused.

But it entertains me. Bad movie or not, I always am thoroughly entertained and having fun when watching Star Wars. It's story keeps me hooked, and I'm just enough of a Star Wars nerd to love it. :) The Jedi, the characters, the battles, etc.

And you can't forget Clone Wars. As bad as the prequels were, you can't deny that Clone Wars was freakin' badical.

Now, I shouldn't have even voted, since I haven't seen Serenity or Firefly. =/ I'd like to see them, but I seriously doubt it could take away my Star Wars fandism. :cookie:

Posted by Lord of Spam

I was too busy being enraged at what lucas had done to his franchise while watching the new ones to do anything other than seeth in rage.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Serenity, just because it hasn't been whored to death yet.

Posted by Echo

Star Wars.

If we're comparing JUST the movies, Serenity vs. Star Wars, than it depends on which Star Wars movie. I and II, Serenity wins easily. III, close, but Serenity still wins (I'd personally prefer Star Wars, but that's because I'm a SW nerd. For production quality, though, Serenity wins). Any of the SW Original Trilogy, SW wins. A New Hope barely wins, but it's a fun adventure that introduces places and things and aliens that people only dream of. ESB builds upon this with an increasingly hooking story, more lightsaber fighting, and more usage of the force. RotJ is way better, with a massive concluding battle, more great lightsaber and force action, and just generally being an entertaining movie.

Comparing universes is a little harder for me, because I've only seen a single episode of Firefly. But I honestly can't see it being greater than Star Wars. Forget about Lucas, so much has been done with the novels to create a downright epic universe teeming with people, aliens, planets, etc. Micheal Stackpole and Timothy Zahn are both excellent authors (from what I've read of theirs), and there are tons of others building on the universe. There's just so much there, you're bound to find at least one series or book or storyline that you really, really enjoy, and probably more.

Posted by Drewboy64

Starwars III sucked. They did nothing wiht Grevious, who in the cartoons was a total badass. They just had tons of action, but had terrible writing.
If Joss Whedon wrote the dialogue for starwars, there would be no "She seems to be on top of things," "I hate sand. it's rough and coarse and it gets everywhere" "I have the higher ground" lines.

Quoted post: Starwars III sucked. They did nothing wiht Grevious, who in the cartoons was a total badass. They just had tons of action, but had terrible writing.

He was badass in the cartoon because he wasn't force-crushed then. At the time the movie came out, he'd been nearly killed and severely weakened.

Quoting Vampiro: He was badass in the cartoon because he wasn't force-crushed then. At the time the movie came out, he'd been nearly killed and severely weakened.

Yeah Drew, for someone who watched the cartoons, you failed to remember an important plot point.

I mean, I had to explain it to every ****ing person I knew who watched the third movie and asked why Grevious limped around and didn't just slaughter everyone.

On another note, if they SOMEHOW had been able to add the episode of the cartoon with Windu in the desert when he force crushes Grevious' chest, it would easily make Episode III win.

yeah, I really have no idea why they left that out. Did they really expect everyone to watch the cartoon?