Problems (start up). :(

Posted by Linkman

Ok, so I have a Compaq Presario (stop laughing please). When you turn it on, it shows the compaq logo, then boots windows. However, recently, it's been having problems booting Windows. It'll freeze on the compaq logo. At which point, I have to unplug the modem, then plug it back in for it to work. Sometimes it takes several tries though, before it'll work. Did virus scan, found nothing. ANY ideas on how to fix this, before the harddrive fries? :(

Posted by candycab

Not sure but you could try booting into safe mode [F8 before Windows loads] and running an anti virus app.

It may find something that was previously in use ,which could cause it to be missed. Thats about all I can think of at the moment.

Posted by higbvuyb

COmpaq logo = bios, I think. It might be a device conflict or whatdoyoucallit.

Posted by poisonblood

Have you added any new hardware or software that may be causing the problem?

Posted by Linkman

No, no new software, atleast none that I'm aware of. Everyone in my family (5 people) uses this computer, so it's extremely hard to get any kind of lead as to what's causes problems when they occur. The last program that was added was LimeWire, about 2 weeks ago, but I'm not sure how that could be the cause.

I got a reply on another forum that it might be the power cable:

[Quote=reply on other forum]obviously its something wrong with the modem, the cable to themodem or the port the modem is plugged into...

try themodem on another port, using another cable, or if all fails, wait for a reply from another member or replace the modem

I'm gonna try that.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

You could always just put in your setup disc and repair it. Assuming nothing else works. *shrugs*

Posted by Boner

Quoting candycab: Not sure but you could try booting into safe mode [F8 before Windows loads] and running an anti virus app.

It may find something that was previously in use ,which could cause it to be missed. Thats about all I can think of at the moment.

This is what I would suggest as well. If it still turns nothing up, you may want to back up any files you wish to save in case your HD does end up crashing. You may also want to see how much free disk space you have left on your computer. If your drive is almost full, that could possibly cause it as well. Try defragmenting the drive. Make sure you don't have too many programs trying to start up when you log into Windows, blah blah blah blah blah. Try it all.

Posted by Linkman

So far, I've removed a lot of stuff from my programs. I had this SpyWare called ContextPlus or something like that on it. Also had this other thing called BackWeb, which I removed. Now when I boot up my desktop, I get a runtime error:

[img]http://www.vgchat.com/~linkman/images/backwebrte.PNG[/img]

Was deleting BackWeb a no-no, or is it just being a pain? If so, how do I stop it?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: When I log on to Windows, I get runner error "invalid backweb application, id 137903", how do i fix this?.

You have downloaded a program that contains spyware or adware. The spyware or adware has been removed but the program requires the spyware to be installed in order to run, without it you will get the Run Time error. This program runs on startup so you will have to uninstall the program that had the spyware associated with it. Run Msconfig from the Start > Run window and turn off the progam that you downloaded, or uninstall the program.

If you still cannot find the program do a search for files that contain the word "Backweb"

Hope that helps.

Posted by Linkman

Alright, I went through all the startup programs, and found some more spyware, SurfAccuracy. I'm not sure if that's it, but I blocked it from being able to run. Restart time.

Edit: Still there. There's a couple of other programs I have to check. So far though, the original problem I was having seems to be fixed.

Posted by Boner

A great spyware removal tool is Spybot Search and Destroy. It's free and there are usually updates for it every day. You should be able to find a site for download through Google.

Posted by janu123

Try for registry cleaner software for better result........

Posted by shawn_michael

Yes "Janu123", You r right. I think the problem is on registry. If there is not any virus problem then one should clean registry to boost up PC performance. and the good thing is that, from thousands of registry cleaners, this is one of my best registry cleaner.